Sign in to follow this  
Shadowbeing

Survivors underpowered?

I believe that although DayZ pretty much is going for realism, some benefit needs to be given to survivors or downside given to bandits. I think so because around 3/4 of people are bandits because it is so easy to kill someone and there being no consequences. I'm pretty sure in real life people would think at least three times before becoming a bandit because the consequences are drastically more severe and permanent. When the bandit skins were still around I think that was a pretty good deterent because it did make bandits second guess killing some because people would shoot on site bandits.

How about instead of asking the game to cater to you personally, you get better at the game?

Bandits kill you. It happens to everyone else in the game. No one else complains about it though because we purposely came to this game for that kind of intensity. If you didn't, and you're not able to adapt to the thought that not everyone in the game should be nice, this probably isn't the game for you.

I do think there should be some kind of downside to being a bandit, not sure what it could be though.

Nope, cannot think of anything that could be added as a downside, but not detract from the overall game. Pretty much everything that makes bandits easy to identify detracts from the intended "intensity" of the game.

I think perhaps a good idea would be that when you join a server it simply gives a number of "survivors" (those that have not murdered), and the number of bandits (those that have), this would give you an idea of the "tone" of the server and could help with determining the level of caution you may need to play there.

It also eliminates the need to easily identify bandits.

there are more bandits than they report my good man. ive been killed by people 9 out of ten times even when i had no gun

You have to keep in mind that his definition of a bandit is not a true bandit. He means that 3/4 of players shoot on sight. That does not necessarily make someone a bandit. Perhaps a better choice of word would be hostile. Some people shoot first only because you have more to risk not shooting than shooting, not that they are intending on killing everyone they could possibly kill.

Your mistaking bandits for murderers. You can get a few kills before becoming a bandit. Also those that ALT+F4 will detract from your 'bandit' score. I know on one character I killed well over 15 people and had a total of 3 murders.

Cest La' Vi.

And no, I did not miss. They dropped to the ground bleeding from their heads before logging out / sinking into the ground.

I disagree with you say that 3/4 of players are thugs because thugs are 100%.

I did not kill anyone and don't like to kill, until they killed me in the back a few hundred times.

The difference between the dayz and the reality is that Dayz will never be real, because it is a game(you don't saaaaay). In real life people see as similar to someone else, someone with feelings, morality, history and beyond guilt.

In Dayz we see another player like a big bag of items trying to kill us.

How about instead of asking the game to cater to you personally' date=' you get better at the game?

Bandits kill you. It happens to everyone else in the game. No one else complains about it though because we purposely came to this game for that kind of intensity. If you didn't, and you're not able to adapt to the thought that not everyone in the game should be nice, this probably isn't the game for you.

[/quote']

Oh I'm sorry. Where did I say anything about that I suck? Also don't speak for a greater audience when you can't define them. I know about this game since I've been playing it for quite a while now and I like the game. Yeah also about the 3/4 bandits. I should have better phrased it hostile instead. Because I tend to always encounter the shoot first people and now that global is gone people are more likely to shoot.

Play with survivors. If you get a steam group and saturate a few servers with survivors, you'll get exactly the kind of play you're looking for.

MANY players enjoy the territorial aspects of DayZ; stalking prey, raiding player camps, stealing vehicles, fighting other clans. Put in an iota of effort before you screw over all these styles of play.

Help these guys make their city.

Just stop crying without doing anything. You're not a child, stop acting like one.

Play with survivors. If you get a steam group and saturate a few servers with survivors' date=' you'll get exactly the kind of play you're looking for.

MANY players enjoy the territorial aspects of DayZ; stalking prey, raiding player camps, stealing vehicles, fighting other clans. Put in an iota of effort before you screw over all these styles of play.

Help these guys make their city.

Just stop crying without doing anything. You're not a child, stop acting like one.

Yeah I know about all of this. I'm not a noob. I'm simply just stating something and giving an opinion. No need to start making false assumptions. What's with the last part? Really? Because I'm totally crying and acting like a child.

I don't mind bandits that are moving around, my issue is bandits that are camping areas.

They can be tough to see and up until they fire zombies ignore them, makes it really safe for bandits to camp high loot zones.

Oh I'm sorry. Where did I say anything about that I suck? Also don't speak for a greater audience when you can't define them. I know about this game since I've been playing it for quite a while now and I like the game. Yeah also about the 3/4 bandits. I should have better phrased it hostile instead. Because I tend to always encounter the shoot first people and now that global is gone people are more likely to shoot.

Oh I'm sorry. Where did I say anything about you saying you suck? You inferred that I made an assumption, which is a bit funny. Although I do admit I used the wrong choice of words, and I meant to say "Deal with it". But anyhow, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Bandits/Hostile players shouldn't be punished. Why? This is a sandbox game. They have a right to play however they want, much like you have a right to do so yourself. You say bandits should have "Consequences". Well let's look at the opposite view of this. It's like bandits saying "Survivors shouldn't be allowed to use guns, because they could simply kill every zombie in the game with melee anyways. Being a survivor should have consequences", do you see how ridiculous that sounds? Obviously that's a bit extreme compared to whatever you would propose to bandits, but an exaggerated point to help get the point across. They have no right to complain about you, and vice versa.

How about we let people have their own individual playstyle on a sandbox game, and not be punished for it? And before someone accuses me of being a bandit because I defend them, my character's roughly half a day old with only zombie kills under his belt, I just feel people should have fun however they want, even if it is by being a dick.

Oh I'm sorry. Where did I say anything about you saying you suck? You inferred that I made an assumption' date=' which is a bit funny. Although I do admit I used the wrong choice of words, and I meant to say "Deal with it". But anyhow, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Bandits/Hostile players shouldn't be punished. Why? This is a sandbox game. They have a right to play however they want, much like you have a right to do so yourself. You say bandits should have "Consequences". Well let's look at the opposite view of this. It's like bandits saying "Survivors shouldn't be allowed to use guns, because they could simply kill every zombie in the game with melee anyways. Being a survivor should have consequences", do you see how ridiculous that sounds? Obviously that's a bit extreme compared to whatever you would propose to bandits, but an exaggerated point to help get the point across. They have no right to complain about you, and vice versa.

How about we let people have their own individual playstyle on a sandbox game, and not be punished for it? And before someone accuses me of being a bandit because I defend them, my character's roughly half a day old with only zombie kills under his belt, I just feel people should have fun however they want, even if it is by being a dick.

[/quote']

True get back to topic at hand. Well I though of this game more as a zombie apocalypse simulator rather then just a sandbox game. I don't think its the same thing to say nerf survivors because bandits are survivors too technically. The only reason I brought this up in the first place is assuming this game is trying to be accurate to real life but the players are playing realistically. I guess as long as there a douchebags in real life they'll be in game as well.

The reason it's so important to have freedom is that it makes the people who do the right thing all the more righteous and remarkable, just like real life. If you don't see that, this is not the game for you.

There is no need to power survivors. We are struggling to survive for a reason. One bullet is all it takes, no matter from whom. Large groups have their benefits, lone wolves have theirs. Don't forget that with every choice, there is a consequence.

Oh I'm sorry. Where did I say anything about you saying you suck? You inferred that I made an assumption' date=' which is a bit funny. Although I do admit I used the wrong choice of words, and I meant to say "Deal with it". But anyhow, let's get back to the topic at hand.

[/quote']

You can have a sandbox game with punishments for playstyles. In fact, you get punished by playing a survivor character because you do not get to kill people for their loot. That is a punishment, like it or not, when compared to the play style of a bandit. There is absolutely no downside to playing as a bandit.

I don't like to kill people. I've only killed a few people, and it was because I felt if I didn't take action they would take action themselves. However yesterday I decided just to kill someone for the heck of it. I had spent over two hours searching around for a Hunting Knife to get my blood back, and couldn't find a single one. I looted a M107 from a heli crash then went to a small town to continue the search. I came back to the heli and found a guy looting a medical box and I shot him. I got my Hunting Knife after hours of searching west Chernarus as well as a Toolbox and Compass that I had been searching for even longer.

I mean, I could've just let him pass... but there is no reason not to kill him. He was an easy kill, and got me the items that I had wanted. Considering my luck, he probably would've killed me if I had met him later. The nice guy I had been so far in the game got me nothing... There is no reason to by a survivor. The groups people link are great ideas, and I'd be interested in joining them. But other than for role-play, there is no beneficial reason to play as a non-PKer.

There are MMOs out there that deter KOS PKers. Darkfall is a good example, that features a karma system. Read up on another upcoming sandbox MMO called Embers of Caerus, one of the most hardcore MMOs I've ever heard of, and they feature a karma system that makes life harder for PKers because they benefit greatly from their playstyle.

I would hate for PvP to be discouraged in this game.. but there needs to be some kind of karma system. I would like rocket to look into how some MMOs deal with the issue of PKers in sandbox games, if he hasn't already. It can be done without destroying the playstyle, just simply balancing it.

hey OP should I be punished?

I play in a tribe

we kill the majority of the players we meet who aren't in our tribe: we have a responsibility to protect and sustain one another, just like any social construct from family to NATO, and we do what the situation demands

but even if we didn't PK, our lives would still be easier than yours (see this thread)

given these advantages, your logic dictates that we be nerfed, severely

There are MMOs out there that deter KOS PKers. Darkfall is a good example' date=' that features a karma system. Read up on another upcoming sandbox MMO called Embers of Caerus, one of the most hardcore MMOs I've ever heard of, and they feature a karma system that makes life harder for PKers because they benefit greatly from their playstyle.

I would hate for PvP to be discouraged in this game.. but there needs to be some kind of karma system. I would like rocket to look into how some MMOs deal with the issue of PKers in sandbox games, if he hasn't already. It can be done without destroying the playstyle, just simply balancing it.

[/quote']

Darkfall had a race system, and you could KOS anyone you wanted so long as they weren't the same race. And afaik no one gave shit about karma anyway, since you probably had your own city/clan anyway.

The problem here is that survivors aren't willing to put in the same amount of work as bandits. Bandits have fleets of vehicles, tent cities, VOIP organization, etc, while survivors are just running around typing "FRIENDLIES ANYWHERE??" and getting upset when they get shot.

This happens in EVERY game -- PvE players simply want their hands held. They try and put up a tough front by asking for "harder" zombies, but when they're faced with an ACTUALLY DIFFICULT OPPONENT (a bandit), they cry like children.

I definitely understand the desire to meet a survivor at random in a city and cooperate. Punishing bandits won't help that happen.

- Make a steam group for survivors and pick a few servers to saturate; you'll run into more friendlies that way.

- Play with a trusted group and approach strangers from a position of strength. Either greet him as a group (he'll not want to take a shot against 3 people with guns on him), or have ONE of your group go out to greet him and check his intentions while the others keep their sights on him. This way you can gauge if he's truly a friendly -- would he kill you in a 1v1 situation. Once you can trust him, fold him into the group.

- Help these guys make a safe city for survivors. It could eventually provide a simple in-game method to finding a pick-up group of survivors, trading gear so you can turn that one M107 mag into 10 mags for your AK-74, etc.

Honestly, it is really pathetic how little "friendlies" do compared to bandits in this game. Years of bitching to make games PvE-friendly have made them worthless.

I just wish there would be more real Bandits, you know the kind that threatens you for your stuff and not just insta-gib you once in sight.

Too bad people are people :dodgy:

Some guy ambushed me as I was leaving the Cherno firestation, he was laying in wait prone in the grass and failed so hard he didn't even hit me once with his gun, I was spinning around and commando rolling for about 20 seconds before I spotted where the shots were coming from, promptly killed him with my M1911...and it showed as a 'murder'...making me a bandit. And you're saying people like me should be penalised for self defence? No thanks.

How about instead of asking the game to cater to you personally' date=' you get better at the game?

[/quote']

no, because Rocket himself has said that the deathmatching needs to be seriously curbed without punishing the players. So everything you just said is wrong!

I think so because around 3/4 of people are bandits

http://www.dayzmod.com/

Alive Characters: 264' date='595

Bandits Alive: 48,532

Maybe you need to go back to math class.

[/quote']

The thing is that we don't know how many of those characters are active. For all we know, there could be 50,000 active alive characters and 48,000 active bandits.

We do have the figure "91,721 players in the last 24 hours". Combining that with the 48,532 alive bandits, does that mean half of the players are bandits?