11tw

Learning Avatar

So my avatar, upon spawning knows a lot of stuff.

She can use an IV, a defibrillator and fire any gun she picks up.

She is in incredible shape, and is an expert on ammo and general equipment. When she picks up a rifle, she knows its background, caliber and make immediately.

For the 'realistic' zombie survival game I find this really jarring. I know for a fact that picking up a rifle I wouldn't have a clue about its background.

Suggest that certain info, such as specific knowledge of firearms and medicine, should be learnt from books. Such books could be definite spawns at special locations, so as to prevent them from being too rare.

For example, a copy of Grey's Anatomy found on a shelf in a hospital could teach you how to use an IV and the like. A copy of some Guide to Russian Weaponry and Munitions (sorry, just made that up) could be found in military bases and give info on calibers and such. That way, it feels like more of an immersive experience.

Keen to hear community response to idea, especially ideas to improve or add to the concept.

11tw

• Like 10

For example, a copy of Grey's Anatomy found on a shelf in a hospital could teach you how to use an IV and the like.

Am I aloud to shed tears when reading it?

• Like 3

Okay, yes reading can be boring. But, can you tell me, in detail, how to set up an IV drip?

• Like 1

If not, then get studying!

(n.b im not suggesting you need a guide to use bandages or fire a gun, just to do complex stuff which would require some expertise)

Pretty cool idea. Maybe other players can pass on knowledge to others somehow. So you can pretty much trade information with each other. 

• Like 1

Okay, yes reading can be boring. But, can you tell me, in detail, how to set up an IV drip?

Pull the caps off the IV bag and drip chamber, connect the two.  Lock the roller clamp and squeeze a few times.  Unlock roller clap allow fluids to move.

• Like 3

I will fact check that, but well played sir!

However, key question: Vein or Artery?

• Like 1

I will fact check that, but well played sir!

However, key question: Vein or Artery?

Artery will take a stent, go for do veins.

Yeah, vein is always safer because of pressure difference, but this is what I am talking about! An improperly set up IV would kill you, as blood would flow out of your artery and into the IV because of the pressure, killing you!

Yeah, vein is always safer because of pressure difference, but this is what I am talking about! An improperly set up IV would kill you, as blood would flow out of your artery and into the IV because of the pressure, killing you!

Back on topic with your OP, I do not dislike the idea but I think it pulls from the sandbox element and goes to far into RPG style stat building etc.  I have said it before but the only style I would approve of this for Dayz would be beard growth over time to show survival length.

• Like 1

I agree, and so I would argue that more RPG things should only have minor influence. For example, how often do you need an IV? It is just there so that there is something to collect beyond equipment, so that you can go on a journey where your character grows to match the challenges you face. 

I am in no way suggesting a Skyrim style skill tree! That, in this game, would be abhorrent!

I was a medical office in the army, so have acute knowledge of all those things also my father owned his own helicopter business and taught me flying at a young age, so I will be quite proficient at flying when I find a heli.

I like to think of it as, survival of the fittest. Everybody else who had no skills is dead. Because of my unique skill set I am still alive as are about 40 other people with similar skills. 

All excellent points; I have to agree that this would be interesting and fun, especially since there are already actual books to be found throughout the world that you can read. Of course, this could lead into over-immersion, as it's entirely possible (and rather likely) that you could encounter a situation where not having these skills already could make it much, MUCH harder to progress, and therefore take away some of the fun. I do like the idea, though.

Back on topic with your OP, I do not dislike the idea but I think it pulls from the sandbox element and goes to far into RPG style stat building etc.  I have said it before but the only style I would approve of this for Dayz would be beard growth over time to show survival length.

Nothing about your forum avatar makes me believe you would at all be interested in anything to do with beards. :P But that is a cool idea.

Yea I kinda like the idea but have not much of a clue how it would affect the game really. It could be great, it could be a mess. I thought about this for months now and there are some topics suggesting this stuff already.

Stupid idea one person will read it and it'll get put in the DayZ wiki like everything else.

No, it won't be a case of whether you know how to set up an IV, your avatar has to know how to do it. Otherwise people would look stuff up.

As long as list of skills to learn will be carefully checked and balanced, it should be fine. This way, we can make one's life much more valuable.

Stupid idea one person will read it and it'll get put in the DayZ wiki like everything else.

Don't bother with the DayZ wiki if you're looking for accurate information, it's disorganized as hell and a lot of the information on there is false. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the game not yet being complete, no one wants to take the time to work on it.

And it's true, any time the devs comment on anything suggested to them, it gets listed somewhere on the wiki as "potential future content", like the G3A3 and FAL on the weapon's page, which have only been mentioned by Chris Torchia once as a possibility. (Not to mention someone kept editing the page insisting that a G3 and G36 are the same weapon)

Back on topic, as much as I'd love to have to actually learn information on things I wouldn't be able to do well in reality, (sure, I may know the procedure, but procedure and perfection are two different things) it seems artificially inhibitive to prevent me from attempting to set up an IV, or attempting to fly a helicopter. They could easily fix that by making it a step by step process that you had to do correctly, but then it would be odd to be unable to do it before you'd read the book or if it wasn't based on prior knowledge.

Also, how would the game made sure you'd read the information correctly? It'd be very odd simply being able to open a book and suddenly the knowledge pops into your head (very Elder Scrolls esque), but then having to read to the point of where the necessary information is located it'd be odd because this may have not been the first time you're opening it.

So honestly it becomes either pointless (if it only needed to be read once, even if you die) or arduous (you need to re-learn certain information every time you die)

Edited by Chaingunfighter
  • Like 1

Well after you read it once you already know how to do it.  How about you can read it if you want but you can just make your character read it if you don't want to.  Make it so using an IV cannot be used until you find the book, and should be reset every time you die.  So when you re-spawn one of the first places you will head is the library to unlock some essential survival skills.

Well after you read it once you already know how to do it.  How about you can read it if you want but you can just make your character read it if you don't want to.  Make it so using an IV cannot be used until you find the book, and should be reset every time you die.  So when you re-spawn one of the first places you will head is the library to unlock some essential survival skills.

I have to agree with this, exactly what I was thinking.

Hello there

I would adore it if the 1st aid you learned in game was applicable to real life.

Might save one someday.

Dont think it'll be practical though.

Rgds

LoK

I think there should be more room for mistakes you avatar can make - more ways too mess up with the medical system ,the health ,and weapons.If you don't know how to use something trial and error is your friend; )