Hikurac

Remove In-game Player List

Should We Remove The In-Game Player List  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Remove The In-Game Player List

Well we dont have vechicles yet. They could use walkie talkies which are in game but anyway, digressing. Its not nearly as bad as people make out. If you want to claim the realism argument there are many things that are unrealistic about in game voice chat and its not realistic to hear someone privately talking to their team mate from 100m away.

We will have vehicles, and the concept will be repeated from the mod (i.e. being able to communicate to folks on TS across the map, for rides and pinpoint accurate exfiltrations).

Nope, I don't want to claim the "realism" argument.

I want to make the argument that it is detrimental to gameplay, in having the unfettered ability to contact one's teammates across the entire map via an unregulated third-party program that has nothing to do with the items/abilities you have in-game. Likewise, any method of easy meta-communication inherently undercuts the efficacy of in-game inclusions, like walkie talkies... radio stations... and the like. I don't like the idea of a third-party program DICTATING the usefulness of what is, and can be, included in the game.

In other words, why even include walkie-talkies if people are just going to use TS? Why care about your life if you can just insta-negotiate a ride up to your clan's stash and re-gear? How would you feel, if you had blown away three clan members, then had the other six that were already inbound get informed of your exact location/heading, and track you down to murder you?

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I have even more radical idea, remove whole SERVER LIST!

There would be just two buttons, join normal and hardcore server and thats it...pretty radical huh?

On a more serious note, even if player list is removed, you can always "rejoin" to check number of people.

I think they already removed time penalty when rejoining the very same server.

Some people are really trying to push this too much.

Like preventing folks using Teamspeak, maps, gaming mice with high DPI and other crazy stuff.

Well, removing the server list would be a bad idea for latency purpose. I'm in eastern Canada, and joining west side servers or some EU ones makes my ping and bandwidth skyrocket. I honestly use the Favorites much more than the server list. I have about 10 servers, both reg and hardcore, and tend to play on the same server for RP values. But that's just me....

i don;t mind that its actually realistic- rival groups could use their native language or communicate with signals/whispering/muttering in real situation, that isn;t really possible in day z, so i actually believe TS or whatever is just like muttering under your breath, or whispering. I honestly dont see why people have a problem with that.

I don't have a problem with it at all, but I know some players do. I was being a bit sarcastic (thus the emotes) because quite frankly those options to check player list, or use third party voip software, or playing either hardcore or regular should stay in the hands of the player.

It IS a video game after all. I like authenticity, and realism, but removing the player list in an online only game for now?? I see no real value to this.

Well, removing the server list would be a bad idea for latency purpose. I'm in eastern Canada, and joining west side servers or some EU ones makes my ping and bandwidth skyrocket. I honestly use the Favorites much more than the server list. I have about 10 servers, both reg and hardcore, and tend to play on the same server for RP values. But that's just me....

It could be done in a way to always join the server with best ping or something like that.

Anyway I was not completely serious with that post of mine.

• Like 1

By doing so the player can determine the odds of him coming in contact with a player, or a clan, which is rather immersion-breaking. So, what do you think?

How so? It only helps knowing how many are on the server or if a friend joins, which is useful.

• Like 1

just YOLO's military bases cuz you know no one is there.

You wouldnt YOLO is you knew noone was here. You do know what YOLO means, right? :)

We will have vehicles, and the concept will be repeated from the mod (i.e. being able to communicate to folks on TS across the map, for rides and pinpoint accurate exfiltrations).

Nope, I don't want to claim the "realism" argument.

I want to make the argument that it is detrimental to gameplay, in having the unfettered ability to contact one's teammates across the entire map via an unregulated third-party program that has nothing to do with the items/abilities you have in-game. Likewise, any method of easy meta-communication inherently undercuts the efficacy of in-game inclusions, like walkie talkies... radio stations... and the like. I don't like the idea of a third-party program DICTATING the usefulness of what is, and can be, included in the game.

In other words, why even include walkie-talkies if people are just going to use TS? Why care about your life if you can just insta-negotiate a ride up to your clan's stash and re-gear? How would you feel, if you had blown away three clan members, then had the other six that were already inbound get informed of your exact location/heading, and track you down to murder you?

You can still use walkies for contacting random players but then again, who even picks up a walkie anymore.  I sure as hell don't.

You can still use walkies for contacting random players but then again, who even picks up a walkie anymore.  I sure as hell don't.

I stopped picking them up after the second time my battery ran out without even picking up any signals.... Not enough players use them. On purpose, when we played with them we had a blast, but haven't met random players with them....

Guess what, you people talking about limiting communication through outside sources are wishing away technology.  You can't remove those.  Don't waste your time crying about it.  

If they somehow found a way to block Steam and TS chat, folks could just skype or FaceTime or even call and use a cell phone.

Guess what, you people talking about limiting communication through outside sources are wishing away technology.  You can't remove those.  Don't waste your time crying about it.  

If they somehow found a way to block Steam and TS chat, folks could just skype or FaceTime or even call and use a cell phone.

Force people who live in the same house to lock themselves in closets away from each other to play  :D

Until renters can get access to their server logs.  Bad idea removing the player list.  I want to be able to kick players who have very inappropriate names.  This is not directed at you Philly

• Like 1

There need to be more features separating Regular and Hardcore servers anyway.

No. I play hardcore because 3PP is stupid, but I don't want anything else changed. There are too few people playing HC as it is, don't ruin it for us.

the player list has some uses to be honest. For groups and playing with friends you need it to check your on the correct server. Maybe this could eventually be a server side admin choice once people have more options rather than forced onto everyone.

I'd prefer it stayed. I like knowing how many people im playing with :P.

As radios will work now much better, you need to be able to see who is griefing to mute them..

• Like 1

Indifferent but feel as if it would improve the game. But it will never happen.

It won't necessarily 'never happen'. That's being stubborn.

This suggestion is highly reasonable.

It won't necessarily 'never happen'. That's being stubborn.

This suggestion is highly reasonable.

Making the game 1st person only to cut down on having to balance the game over 2 game-modes and improving the overall experience was also a reasonable suggestion.

This will not happen. Not in a million years.

I like knowing *something* about who's online with me, such as if there's clans, how many people, their pings (if there's high ping people I get weary of warpers, etc and may switch servers - I know BattleEye takes care of some of this but not enough).

I agree.  I like total immersion so I think remove it for hardcore servers, leave the same for normal servers.

I think they should add console so to see Who killed you, and if it's a hacker, the report option too. All this 'immersion' talk is futile on public servers with anonymous hackers running around shooting automatic shotguns and having your name above your head in his esp.

So we should sacrifice immersion and enjoyment because of hackers? Seems a little bit counter-productive.

Edited by Hikurac
  • Like 2

I like the idea. But only for Hardcore. So that there would be more differences between these two hives, not just camera view.

if you want the game to be more real you do not have to look at the player list  but it is nice to have the player list so you know that you are not running around playing with your self  :D

Edited by Boxer23

How so? It only helps knowing how many are on the server or if a friend joins, which is useful.

"40 people on here right now, better stay low."

"Only 5 people on right now!! Well golly, lets head to the airfields!! :lol: ".....

That.

I can understand keeping it on regular servers, however it would be nice not knowing who and how many are on. It keeps you on your toes and makes you act closer to how you would in real life, having no idea how many people have survived the outbreak. Also makes server hoppers that much more anxious when looting a large area.

Edited by Hikurac

I voted no. If you don't want to see the other players then just avoid pressing the button. Personally, I like to see how many people are playing. And looking at all the different and funny names. :P

Yes. Seeing how many players are there on the server is cheating and pussy move