Pistols:
Longhorn:   0.01
Amphibia S: 0.02
FNX-45:     0.03
CZ75:       0.03
Magnum:     0.03
1911:       0.03
P1:         0.03

But I don't know, what the dispersion actually means.

Is it the % of the shots, which will spray totally random? Is it the deviation in inches per 100 yards?

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 3

Whatever it means... increase it :D

Make us hit less, it will be good for the game as it pushes the pvp factor into the background and encourages player focus on what the game is actually meant to be.

Ye, I know... my style of playing is not yours, etc... still... this is only my opinion. ;)

• Like 1

Holy shit the sporter is a potential death machine if it's more accurate than the mosin...

No wonder you can't mount any optics on it xD silent and scoped? Good lord...granted, limited range/damage considering the cartridge though. Yet I still find it strange there's no optics options for it or am I just sounding like an idiot here?

Sorry bud, but I don't play games without familiarizing myself with the game mechanics.

Spend more time playing the game and less time dissecting it.

We all thank you for valuable input.

Back on topic, the dispersion of M4 is really uber bad eh, but that is long known.

I just can't think it is anything else than place holder, the whole ballistics as it is now.

• Like 1

We all thank you for valuable input.

Back on topic, the dispersion of M4 is really uber bad eh, but that is long known.

I just can't think it is anything else than place holder, the whole ballistics as it is now.

You are welcome.

Sorry bud, but I don't play games without familiarizing myself with the game mechanics.

Well min maxing is not necessary to enjoy a game.

Yes, that's how I test ballistics.

But saying stat studying is pointless is an anti-intellectual line of thought.

• Like 3

Spend more time playing the game and less time dissecting it.

What's wrong with trying to figure out how the game mechanics work?

• Like 2

Nothing ofcourse. Some people just like to lecture others how the game should be played and forget it's only their opinion (so 1 amongs many).

Same as some folks yell cheater if you use teamspeak or such.

We don't want no edumacated folks around these parts. Just smile and nod, smile and nod.

• Like 5

Yes, that's how I test ballistics.

But saying stat studying is pointless is an anti-intellectual line of thought.

Don't be silly, you know exactly what i ment. But you get beans for trying.

What is wrong with discovering a game as you play it rather than through spread-sheeting? Is the idea of making a mistake so intolerable?

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

Don't be silly, you know exactly what i ment. But you get beans for trying.

What is wrong with discovering a game as you play it rather than through spread-sheeting? Is the idea of making a mistake so intolerable?

If I have raw data avaiable I can skip hours of testing it myself and just enjoy the game.

I don't mind some mystery in the game, but if death means resetting your character completly and my weapon is my chance to survive then I want to know how much I can rely on it - either by checking offline stats or many, many hours of testing in-game.

I've done same thing in DayZ where I would load shooting range for Arma2 just to test my weapons in safe environment. That's how I roll, I want to know how game mechanics. There's plenty of other areas of DayZ that no statistics or guide cover (how people behave in certain situations, or which loot spawns are least visited).

• Like 1

as someone who both spent months in spreadsheets and simulation tools to increase my characters performance in some cases, but also loves to be lost in the moment and enjoy that suspension of disbelief, i agree with Kyrah: its not always the best venue to look behind the magic. it does take away a certain part of the experience - but it adds another layer of meta, so if you really dont care for the magic but want to minmax, there is nothing to say against such analysis.

so while i, personally, prefer the magic over the analysis here in DayZ, i think both approaches are valid, and it is a decision each player has to make for himself. just be aware that its a one way street, because you cannot 'unsee' the ropes and strings and gears that drive the magic ;)

also, inb4 milsim fans shit on the dispersion mechanic as a whole :D

• Like 2

If I have raw data avaiable I can skip hours of testing it myself and just enjoy the game.

I don't mind some mystery in the game, but if death means resetting your character completly and my weapon is my chance to survive then I want to know how much I can rely on it - either by checking offline stats or many, many hours of testing in-game.

^this^

I don't to die more than 6 times, "just" to find out, how accurate the B95 is (it isn't thaat accurate actually) ;) I  wanted to share this info, if anyone is interested.

There are people, who only go for the "best" guns with the best accuracy, best RoF, best control.

But I prefer the guns, which are cool. And most of the time my favorite guns in games are fairly underpowered.

the LMG in Titanfall got nerfed to shit, the MG4 in GRP is weak as fuck. the GR-22 in Planetside2 got nerfed, too.

I just want to know, "how" underpowered my gun is, so I know, what I can and can't do with it ;)

Also I'd like to ask, if any-1 knows, what the "dispersion" actually is.

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 3

^this^

I don't to die more than 6 times, "just" to find out, how accurate the B95 is (it isn't thaat accurate actually).

I just wanted to share this info, if anyone is interested.

Also I'd like to ask, if any-1 knows, what the "dispersion" actually is.

Explaination taken from guide for WoT so it might be a bit innacurate, but the general rule is:

Each gun available in the game has its own accuracy (also called dispersion), given in meters over 100 meters distance. For example a gun with accuracy 0,35 m means, that most shells fired at the enemy, which is distant from us at 100 m, will land at 0,35 m from the middle of the sight.

Edited by Alsmir

I feel the M4A1 should have a value similar to a Mosin.

• Like 1

Explaination taken from guide for WoT so it might be a bit innacurate, but the general rule is:

Each gun available in the game has its own accuracy (also called dispersion), given in meters over 100 meters distance. For example a gun with accuracy 0,35 m means, that most shells fired at the enemy, which is distant from us at 100 m, will land at 0,35 m from the middle of the sight.

Ok, maybe so.. I heard this in ArmA forums:

< Dispersion is diameter of the dispersion circle in radians. So 'dispersion = 0.001' means 1 miliradian or 1 mil, which is 10 cm at 100 m. >

I don't know if this is the case (I think it might be fuzzy math actually - 1 Minute of Angle [MoA] is about equal to 1 inch at 100 yards), but I'm not going to work it out, or look it up, I have a life elswhere - I know Gews has explained dispersion on these forums. He's the expert.

In passing, is the Longhorn correct at the moment ? (damn, I shouldnt have said that )

-IMO: Lady Kyrah is right, if you want to know how a gun shoots, go play the game and try it out

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Deviation values never have made sense to me, especially when they render the weapon inaccurate at reasonable ranges.

It's a game, making our rounds arbitrarily go where they're not supposed to completely undercuts any semblance of skill. If you want to make shooting a more difficult prospect, then do so by making it more complex... not hitting it with a caveman's club with the most inapplicable and detrimental solution there is.

How is find weapon>arm weapon>find target>sight in target properly, doing everything right>fire at target>MISS CAUSE WE SAID SO, acceptable?

How anyone could think it's beneficial is beyond me. It's an unintelligible game paradigm that needs to die, in Battlefield and DayZ.

Thanks for posting though, now I get a full sense of how awful the M4 actually is by comparison.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 4

Ok, maybe so.. I heard that in ArmA titles:

< Dispersion is diameter of the dispersion circle in radians. So 'dispersion = 0.001' means 1 miliradian or 1 mil, which is 10 cm at 100 m. >

-IMO Lady Kyrah is right, if you want to know how a gun shoots, go play the game and try it out

xx

About the 2nd part:

What's the point if someone have already done it? It's not like I'll never use that gun myself, but at least I know what to expect.

Deviation values never have made sense to me, especially when they render the weapon inaccurate at reasonable ranges.

It's a game, making our rounds arbitrarily go where they're not supposed to completely undercuts any semblance of skill. If you want to make shooting a more difficult prospect, then do so by making it more complex... not hitting it with a caveman's club with the most inapplicable and detrimental solution there is.

How is find weapon>arm weapon>find target>sight in target properly, doing everything right>fire at target>MISS CAUSE WE SAID SO, acceptable?

How anyone could think it's beneficial is beyond me. It's an unintelligible game paradigm that needs to die, in Battlefield and DayZ.

Thanks for posting though, now I get a full sense of how awful the M4 actually is by comparison.

I like how it works in ACE with wind direction and speed being an extra factor.

I really feel like it shows actuall skill, because there is no shortcut for success. When I was playing with my friend a mission on a big open map, both sniping and he asked me how do I hit so much often, all I could say was:

"I know that rifle very well, I constantly check the wind and I just have more practice".

Judging distance and calculating your bullet drop + wind effect is definitely something that takes a lot of time to learn and I feel it should be part of DayZ long range shooting instead of rng that reminds me of RPG games (% chance to hit)

Edited by Alsmir
  • Like 1

0.35 m in a circle around the center that is

..//..

There is about 6 years of discussion of this on the ArmA forums- all the pros and cons and changes and suggestions and rants and mods. It's an endless endless debate among realism fans.. no one seems to agree..

people are now repeating on the DayZ forums what has already been argued over a zillion times on the ArmA forums, without conclusion

www.armaholic.com

tactical.nekromantix.com/wiki/

feedback.arma3.com/

www.dslyecxi.com/

etc

xx

• Like 2