qww

after death run back to storage ?

In before people start purchasing "storage accounts"

2 accounts

1 for action

1 for storage

Action account drops loot where storage account stays, storage account logs in, moves loot into tents, logs out.

Action account goes and dies, runs to where storage account stays, storage account logs in, removes gear from tents, drops on ground, action account logs back in and is fully geared.

Stop trying to fix what's not broken. People will always find a way to game the system anyway.

Perhaps a better way to do it is not to delete the stash, but to force a map of the location of the players stash to spawn on their dead body. This wont completely eliminate running back to try and regear, but it will at least add some uncertainty and danger to it, as well as adding incentive to loot, not just kill from 800m away for no reason. On top of that, it will encourage even more players to traverse the map searching for these camps that are revealed on the map of the dead players body.

i like this idea! also might lessen kos playstyle! maybe the kos'ers then follow the dude picking up the map! 

this would add greatly to gameplay!

2 accounts

1 for action

1 for storage

Action account drops loot where storage account stays, storage account logs in, moves loot into tents, logs out.

Action account goes and dies, runs to where storage account stays, storage account logs in, removes gear from tents, drops on ground, action account logs back in and is fully geared.

Stop trying to fix what's not broken. People will always find a way to game the system anyway.

Someone would buy the game a second time just to have storage?

Holy shit I'm never feeling sad about myself ever again. Thanks for that thought.

Tents are fine. L2NPLAY. It's like you guys think tents are going to last undiscovered within a 10 min jog from the coast.. nonono. That's not how it works. Those will be raped and pillaged faster than I get drunk off a 60 of Captain Morgan. Any tent storage worth its salt is going to be way out there... way fucking out there.

Like such a long jog that it's not even worth it for regearing unless you have specific items you only use like a loadout or specific way you like to dress. (In the mod I had a tent stash of just AKM'S since it was one of my favourite guns and was quite common/ammo.) 

You're arguing about a non-issue. Like I can't even... have any of you arguing played the mod.. like Jesus.

• Like 1

You're arguing about a non-issue. Like I can't even... have any of you arguing played the mod.. like Jesus.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not trying to be elitist or anything like that in the slightest but it kinda trips me out how many people haven't played the mod.  I mean it's to be expected I guess, but it's like, come on guys.  Trust us, this shit is not an issue.  There's close to 2 years of the concept in practice to reference.

• Like 1

Then again I'm not even sure some of the people around here play the SA either =P

Then again I'm not even sure some of the people around here play the SA either =P

With the kind of comments i've seen on this forum, I wouldn't be surprised.

Someone would buy the game a second time just to have storage?

Holy shit I'm never feeling sad about myself ever again. Thanks for that thought.

I personally wouldn't, but I don't really need to.. I have a friend who doesn't play the game. He played maybe 3 hours, then hasn't touched it in several months. So theoretically I could use his account, and I am sure I am not an isolated example of that scenario.

My point was that no matter what system people think they're going to come up with to prevent "EASY MODE RUNNING BACK AND GETTING FREE LOOTZ", someone out there will create a work around.

Furthermore, as others in this thread have said, it's not even an issue.

You actually have to STOCK tents.. Stocking tents requires looting. Looting can be dangerous. Furthermore, after you die, you actually have to run back to your tent, which as someone else mentioned isn't going to be 5 minutes from the coast.. It's going to be OUT OF THE WAY.. As in, you'd probably risk starving to death if you had to run to it directly from spawn. Furthermore, you have to run back under the pressure of other players potentially seeing you, following you, or just straight out killing you. Also, your tent can be robbed/smashed at any time.. Also, you don't have a map/compass or any other method of navigation (aside from DayZDB).

Point being.. Stop your crying, people. 

• Like 3

the main point is, it more realistic to delete a loot store,(to simulate no knowledge) than to have a new character run back to a dead guys store .

items magically disappearing into nothingness is more realistic than someone stumbling around in a forest and finding a camp with goods?

are you on acid?

and again, it's not like the tents fill up on their own, you still have to loot the things you put into them, its not even an issue like you make it to be

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

What if tents relocated when you died?

So you can still find your stuff but it's going to be a rare event, you'll have to survive all over again with food and weapons and go on a hunt to find your gear.

Also makes it more likely that someone will find it and take your stuff so it's not ideal but still a way to get stuff.

• Like 1

@OP:

Solution might be that your campsite gets moved to a random location upon character death.
Then someone (other people, or you) can "stumble" into it, for real. And it would be - as realistic - by chance.
The relocation upon character death would enforce the lack of memory that your new character has, while you as a player of course know where your camp was. 

Edit: Wow. Got ninjaed. :D Beans for you!

Edited by cuddly_rabbit

Relocating tents and all those ideas are stupid as hell. Like, no. This is a non-issue. It was fine in the mod, and it will be fine here.

• Like 2

Yes, but your avatar isn't remembering where your tent was. You are, the player, and that can't be changed. 

Simply by virtue of respawning, the entire idea of persistence is made "unrealistic." The only way it could be made realistic, is if you were forced to switch servers (i.e. worlds) when you die. Which isn't practical.

As I said, you're deleting something from the world arbitrarily (unrealistic). Or you're having something persist in the game world, which can be "remembered" after death because players can come back as many times as they can respawn (also unrealistic).

^

this

The character is a new one, but the player is a reincarnation of him in a new character. And there's nothing we can do about. But the solution to this can't be just make the items/camps disappear since other people also has the right to find them and use them, may be it is even the reason they killed you.

And regarding the proximity solution (if your new chars gets close to your camp, items disappear) still has two big issues. First one, more benefits for clans. Second one, those who will get close to their camp to make things disappear on purpose so no one else can use them (trolls).

So roleplay a little and pretend if someone respawns and finds a camp, its because he got lucky :D

P.D: either that, or forbid players from playing the same server after dying. <--- For a REAL hardcore experience this would be a great idea. I would definitely try. Can't even imagine not only the value my life will get, but also the value of my friends life !  xD

Best solution:  30 min no loot timer.  

What this means is for 30 mins you cannot loot your corpse, your stash/container.  Simple fix.  Hell, I'd even bump it up to an hour.

I used to hide my camps as NW in the map as possible. Getting back there took over an hour, and I still did it hundreds of times.

I would bump that timer to 24 hours. Can't loot your own camp/body for 24 hours. However, we still have the clan issue. How can we deal with that. Actually clans are the ones making the best camps.

Relocating tents and all those ideas are stupid as hell. Like, no. This is a non-issue. It was fine in the mod, and it will be fine here.

Why is it stupid?

You want an easy survival experience and skip the (fun and tense part of) re-equipping?

Let's hear reasons.

Edited by cuddly_rabbit

Which is why I think a 30 min no loot timer against the player killed is fair.  Your buddies can still loot it but can't give you the items for 30 mins.

Forbid a player's corpse/camp from getting looted by himself is one thing. But forbid the items individually even if those are removed from the container is a complete different topic. Server would have to handle unique ID's per items along with codified conditions for them. This is a lot of CPU work for a game already which is already heavy on that path.

Forbid a player's corpse/camp from getting looted by himself is one thing. But forbid the items individually even if those are removed from the container is a complete different topic. Server would have to handle unique ID's per items along with codified conditions for them. This is a lot of CPU work for a game already which is already heavy on that path.

Well shit.  If the servers can't handle the load of players stashes then despawn said stashes upon players death

2 accounts

1 for action

1 for storage

2 of us in my old clan used to do this to circumvent the "gets deleted 7 days after death" rule in the mod all tents were owend by 2 chars who never logged in except to place tents.

that said, i think ownership of storage needs to go entirely. i should be able to pack and take anyones tents i find. link cleanup/deltetion to last access so abandoned stashes no accessed at all for.. say.. 5-7 days get cleaned up by the server. this is an apocalypse. there is no ownership and there is no law. anything in the world should be fairgame to everyone.

• Like 1

I used to hide my camps as NW in the map as possible. Getting back there took over an hour, and I still did it hundreds of times.

I would bump that timer to 24 hours. Can't loot your own camp/body for 24 hours. However, we still have the clan issue. How can we deal with that. Actually clans are the ones making the best camps.

you just have to accept that clans are in it for a different resaon then the lone wolf survivialists. most of us see it as a cooperative (internally) and competitive (with other clans) scenario.

Step 1: gear up

Step 2: Hoard everything in bulk

Step 3: secure fast trasport (preferably heli)

Step 4: Competition with other clans for remaining resources, denial of strategic assets, etc.

you just have to accept that clans are in it for a different resaon then the lone wolf survivialists. most of us see it as a cooperative (internally) and competitive (with other clans) scenario.

Step 1: gear up

Step 2: Hoard everything in bulk

Step 3: secure fast trasport (preferably heli)

Step 4: Competition with other clans for remaining resources, denial of strategic assets, etc.

And nowhere did you mention anything about surviving.  Wow, you have totally missed the mark by a long shot.

What if tents relocated when you died?

So you can still find your stuff but it's going to be a rare event, you'll have to survive all over again with food and weapons and go on a hunt to find your gear.

Also makes it more likely that someone will find it and take your stuff so it's not ideal but still a way to get stuff.

And for the other players that know of, and use what you think is "your" tent?

Tents will not break stand-alone, and do nothing more to detract from realism any more-so than respawning and knowing what locations have already been looted, where bandits are lurking, and the like. If you put your tent somewhere convenient you'll likely come back to find it empty or destroyed. If it's a ways out of the way you need to have spent the time to stock it, and then run all the way to get back to it, and still there is no guarantee that by the time you get back to it, the tent has been looted or someone is camping it waiting for restocking players to get busy with their inventory.

• Like 1

And nowhere did you mention anything about surviving.  Wow, you have totally missed the mark by a long shot.

Surviving is part of that competiton. everywhere you go, everything you do your hunted by the other clans. once you have a large group and support system in place maintaiing a perma stocked stash of food and meds isnt hard. the primary concern becomes defending it from other groups/clans and preventing them having better stuff.

think about what happens in countries where law and order collapses (see:somolia) rival warloards hoard evertying and take up arms against eachother. Just because you throw zombies in the middle wont change this fundamental tendancy of human behavior for people to form into factions, gangs, etc around a common thread, then compete with others for what remains in a wasteland.

Well shit.  If the servers can't handle the load of players stashes then despawn said stashes upon players death

No. What CPU can't handle is hundreds of differents individual items, with conditionants all of them (like "player [Name] can't have this item") and still track down all the items with the movement of the hundreds of those items that could spread hundreds of different ways (player to player, drop, other tents and so on, repeteadly). THAT's heavy for the CPU.

But having a few tents with an ID [playername] and forbid this player from loot that tent is doable and wont cost shit to the CPU (just by blocking the popmenu when opening tent. Nothing to do with the items).

I'm not a fan of the "random relocation" solution either, anything random (inland spawns, deviation, etc.) is liable to have flaws as well. Like, teleporting your tent... randomly... five feet away. Or teleporting your tent... randomly... next to somebody else's tent.

I think the system, overall, is acceptable. But steps need to be taken to discourage/remedy server hopping, and allow for fewer empty servers on which players can store stashes. Perhaps private hives, or fixed-server characters.

No. What CPU can't handle is hundreds of differents individual items, with conditionants all of them (like "player [Name] can't have this item") and still track down all the items with the movement of the hundreds of those items that could spread hundreds of different ways (player to player, drop, other tents and so on, repeteadly). THAT's heavy for the CPU.

But having a few tents with an ID [playername] and forbid this player from loot that tent is doable and wont cost shit to the CPU (just by blocking the popmenu when opening tent. Nothing to do with the items).

botom line is this is a persistent world, any attempt to stop meta-gaming is either entirely futile, or overbearing to a detriment.

• Like 2