qww

after death run back to storage ?

-snip-

Agreed.

That and people act like re-gearing is ALWAYS easy, and ALWAYS inconsequential. Getting geared TWICE over in one life is often times an insanely risky prospect.

EDIT - @Tenebrous, I do agree with you as well. However, there is an issue in folks [at least with public hive] putting their persistent storage on an empty server, and then swapping to that server to re-gear. So in some instances, it can have the opposite effect.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

You play in a group, get someone in your group/team/clan to open it for you. Simple fix followed up by a simple bypass.

EDIT: Also if you delete that on death it will screw up the cycle yet again. You're getting raided or attacked by a group or even an individual, he kills you and what? Your container is gone so he only gets the ruined garbage off your back. Checkmate

If you're in a group and you get killed, chances are your corpse ain't getting looted by your buddies right away so null counterpoint.  

Secondly, "you" can't loot "your" own containers or corpse for 30 mins.  Other people can and if you happen to somehow kill them right away, well shitty deal.  You can't see your stuff they looted for 30 mins.

Edited by Caboose187

Anything that ties characters to a server, will help build community on the server, and thus be good.

This is also an extremely important aspect of it.

If you're in a group and you get killed, chances are your corpse ain't getting looted by your buddies right away so null counterpoint.  

I disagree with this, I often have engagements with my group where one of us dies, another of us kills the guy, then we'll typically either guard their body or pull their loot off for them.

Just make it possible to fully interact with other players storage devices. You should be able to loot other peoples tents or even outright steal them. So storage containers are just that - storage containers. If you find one you are lucky if someone finds yours you are unlucky - life is hard.

And if a bambi runs straight out of town after spawning just follow him to his hideout, put a bullet between his eyes and take all the delicious stuff.

That's exactly how it will work.  Which is an important aspect.

Edited by Bororm

the point was dont get killed, dotn lose stash.

dont you get my topic at all?

I get your topic, I just disagree. I think that persistence is crucial to the dayz experience and they were my reasons why. Does no one remember the mod.....the persistent world was one of its main features :(

I disagree with this, I often have engagements with my group where one of us dies, another of us kills the guy, then we'll typically either guard their body or pull their loot off for them.

Which is why I think a 30 min no loot timer against the player killed is fair.  Your buddies can still loot it but can't give you the items for 30 mins.

Which is why I think a 30 min no loot timer against the player killed is fair.  Your buddies can still loot it but can't give you the items for 30 mins.

So how does it work, they can loot it but not drop the items?  You simply can't interact with the items yourself for 30 minutes?

How does this help, if you eventually get the gear any ways.

This still does nothing but harm solo players, and give groups yet another advantage.

So how does it work, they can loot it but not drop the items?  You simply can't interact with the items yourself for 30 minutes?

How does this help, if you eventually get the gear any ways.

This still does nothing but harm solo players, and give groups yet another advantage.

How does it give larger groups an advantage?  Now they have to carry around someone's stuff for 30 mins taking up precious ammo space?  It affects the dead player and the dead player only for 30 mins.  Either find new stuff or wait.  I think that's fair.

And it works by not being able to interact with the items for 30 mins.  You can look but not touch

Edited by Caboose187

what does that have to do with running back to stashed gear that you can somehow remember location of after you die? nothign to do with it.,

It's the same as running your new spawn around with knowledge of all the previous spawns. If your fresh spawn comes in to the game with a full working knowledge of the map/buildings/sniper zones, then an extra backpack shouldn't be a big deal.

How does it give larger groups an advantage?  Now they have to carry around someone's stuff for 30 mins taking up precious ammo space?  It affects the dead player and the dead player only for 30 mins.  Either find new stuff or wait.  I think that's fair.

And it works by not being able to interact with the items for 30 mins.  You can look but not touch

What we currently do when we need to pull stuff off a friend's corpse because he isn't going to make it back in time is just toss it in a bush or out of the way.  So unless the server restarts it's not going to be much of an issue.  A group still has the advantage because they're going to be able to save the guy's loot, one way or another, where as a solo player has absolutely no option at all to do so.  That's a loophole.

Let's take your system again, what's to stop me from just giving my friend my gear and keeping his instead?

A group is capable of keeping their friend's loot in play, where as a solo player is not.

Let's take your system again, what's to stop me from just giving my friend my gear and keeping his instead?

Sounds fair to me.  How much stuff got ruined?  Weigh in the factors, it's still not that much of an advantage because:

A.  He still has to get there again

B. Has to deal with being killed along the way

C. Food

D. Water

E. You're now arguing over 30 mins.

Edited by Caboose187

Sounds fair to me.  How much stuff got ruined?  Weigh in the factors, it's still not that much of an advantage because:

A.  He still has to get there again   This is irrelevant if the argument to begin with is to create a detriment to returning to your body.

B. Has to deal with being killed along the way  See above

C. Food See above

D. Water See above

E. You're now arguing over 30 mins.   I'm pointing out the potential drawbacks of a system that's presumably meant to hinder getting your own loot back, by pointing out loopholes

It's actually still a decent advantage because maybe not much of the stuff did get ruined.  If it did get ruined, what's the detriment to being able to loot your own stuff?  I've never seen primary weapons get ruined yet, some times they don't work due to a bug but as far as I know only sidearms become ruined currently.  This means that any group is going to be able to maintain keeping all their primary weapons where as a solo player will not.  That's an advantage, and not a small one.

So if you can't interact with your gear, but some one else loots your body and you kill them, then what?  You still can't loot that player and get your stuff back for 30 minutes?  What if that gear switches hands numerous times in that 30 minutes, to the point you don't realize it's your own gear.  Is there an indicator telling you it was your gear and that's why you can't loot it, or are people just going to get confused and think it's another bug not being able to grab the gun off some random guy they just killed?

I'm just not seeing the point in this, it just creates a bunch of weird scenarios to try to stop something that isn't a real issue to begin with.

If you don't like people running back to their gear, hide their bodies or destroy/toss their loot.  If you don't want to be able to run back for your own gear, then just don't?

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

So if you can't interact with your gear, but some one else loots your body and you kill them, then what?  You still can't loot that player and get your stuff back for 30 minutes?

I'm just not seeing the point in this, it just creates a bunch of weird scenarios to try to stop something that isn't a real issue to begin with.

If you don't like people running back to their gear, hide their bodies or destroy/toss their loot.  If you don't want to be able to run back for your own gear, then just don't?

No you're being butthurt argumentative over a suggestion because it effects your corpse running.   Try compromising or coming up with a suggestion instead of shooting others down.   

No you're being butthurt argumentative over a suggestion because it effects your corpse running.   Try compromising or coming up with a suggestion instead of shooting others down.   

I added more to my previous response.

I am not being butthurt.  I don't see it as an issue currently, you and some other people do.  I am offering up valid concerns about your proposed suggestion, maybe you can further flesh out your idea due to my criticism.  Or you can dismiss what I'm saying and try to insult me I guess?

If anything I'm trying to help you.  

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Secondly, "you" can't loot "your" own containers or corpse for 30 mins.  Other people can and if you happen to somehow kill them right away, well shitty deal.  You can't see your stuff they looted for 30 mins.

So you spawn in Berezino and your storage container is in/near Vybor. Takes you a few minutes to work there. Not trying to start an argument just pointing out flaws.

So you spawn in Berezino and your storage container is in/near Vybor. Takes you a few minutes to work there. Not trying to start an argument just pointing out flaws.

because it's not a flaw. I'm suggesting a feature to prevent the removal of perma death

I wasn't suggesting removing player spawning, though. So... I'm still confused as to what you're asking.

You're still not hearing me.

Deleting storage/persistent items on player death = Removing gear for players who would have come across your stash or who killed you to get to your stash

Keeping persistent storage/items = Allowing folks to re-gear (detrimental)

Both have serious negatives.

With one, you're arbitrarily removing items/structures from the game which would otherwise be available to others. With the other, you're allowing folks to re-gear.

i think i was replyign clearly to what you were saying before and i will also reply to these statements from my view,

Deleting storage/persistent items on player death = Removing gear for players who would have come across your stash or who killed you to get to your stash

sure, thast how im suggesting it would work. players can still find your stash while you are alive, but after you die its gone. if player wants your storage, they can try to get the information of its location from you for it if they want to threaten you, or whatever. i dotn see any even slight negatives here

keeping persistent storage/items = Allowing folks to re-gear (detrimental)

yes thats right.

edit:you were comparing the realism factors of respawn v storage save, thats what i was replying to that you might have got confused abt. anyway forget that.

Perma-death means exactly that.  Not run back to corpse Diablo style

yeah havent played diablo, but death should mean start again,i agree

I get your topic, I just disagree. I think that persistence is crucial to the dayz experience and they were my reasons why. Does no one remember the mod.....the persistent world was one of its main features :(

ok maybe you do get it, it just seemed like your coming from a  different angle than i was expecting with your reply, i dotn see why what the mod was should have to be in the future of dayz sa, especially with the survival aspect being more in the game in future .

the world can be persistent, just because you are dead and your new character  has no memory of where the dead guy left some storage (storage gets deleted)

It's the same as running your new spawn around with knowledge of all the previous spawns. If your fresh spawn comes in to the game with a full working knowledge of the map/buildings/sniper zones, then an extra backpack shouldn't be a big deal.

i dont see it in any way as the same, restarting in the world with nothing, and restarting with a stash of equipment are very different if you like to play on full servers and many people enjoy the journey.

i thought it was a part of sa, and im hoping that items will get more rare , and survival will become much more difficult as more game  mechanics introduced..

dying, and returning to dayz world with knowlege of some instant kit is not what i was hoping to be playing in sa

Edited by qww

i dont see it in any way as the same, restarting in the world with nothing, and restarting with a stash of equipment are very different if you like to play on full servers and many people enjoy the journey.

i thought it was a part of sa, and im hoping that items will get more rare , and survival will become much more difficult as more game  mechanics introduced..

dying, and returning to dayz world with knowlege of some instant kit is not what i was hoping to be playing in sa

That's unfortunate but honestly it's your own fault for not keeping up with development.  Base building has been discussed since the outset, and again, we've got precedence in the mod as to a basis of what it will likely follow.  Never once has it been mentioned that you would lose your base/stored items upon death.

There is an easy fix for you though, just don't create a base/storage.  Or if you do, never return to it once you die.  You've just accomplished your task.

You've no way of knowing how other players are coming upon their own loot, so fool yourself into believing they're doing likewise =P

Edited by Bororm

That's unfortunate but honestly it's your own fault for not keeping up with development.  Base building has been discussed since the outset, and again, we've got precedence in the mod as to a basis of what it will likely follow.  Never once has it been mentioned that you would lose your base/stored items upon death.

There is an easy fix for you though, just don't create a base/storage.  Or if you do, never return to it once you die.  You've just accomplished your task.

You've no way of knowing how other players are coming upon their own loot, so fool yourself into believing they're doing likewise =P

i agree it will be unfortunate for me, anyway why do you want to be able to run back to gear? dont you even agree that it would make for a more difficult and intense game? loosing everything you tried to save?

i agree it will be unfortunate for me, anyway why do you want to be able to run back to gear? dont you even agree that it would make for a more difficult and intense game? loosing everything you tried to save?

Possibly more difficult for some people, not especially for myself.  I don't find it hard to gear up, but I am not very picky about gear.  I don't think it would be more intense.  I find it more "intense" to worry all day whether my tent was found before I get to log on again and see if it's safe =P

If we're talking about storage and not bodies, I believe there's a lot more fun coming out of the game with storage.  It gives me a reason to loot a place multiple times per life instead of just once.  It also gives me a reason to stick to one server.  It gives me a reason to travel more of the map.  A number of other things.  I believe the benefits compared to the downsides are far greater.

If we're talking about running back to our bodies, I just don't like all the weird implications that would derive from not being able to loot yourself.  Not being able to interact with items in the world, simply because you died while carrying them would be just as odd from a realism standpoint as being able to loot your own body.

• Like 1

Possibly more difficult for some people, not especially for myself.  I don't find it hard to gear up, but I am not very picky about gear.  I don't think it would be more intense.  I find it more "intense" to worry all day whether my tent was found before I get to log on again and see if it's safe =P

If we're talking about storage and not bodies, I believe there's a lot more fun coming out of the game with storage.  It gives me a reason to loot a place multiple times per life instead of just once.  It also gives me a reason to stick to one server.  It gives me a reason to travel more of the map.  A number of other things.  I believe the benefits compared to the downsides are far greater.

If we're talking about running back to our bodies, I just don't like all the weird implications that would derive from not being able to loot yourself.  Not being able to interact with items in the world, simply because you died while carrying them would be just as odd from a realism standpoint as being able to loot your own body.

storage deleted on death would not make any change to someone looting your stash while you were logged out alive, so that intensity wouldnt change, it  would be increased by the additional factor of dying and loosing everything when dead.

if you dotn find it hard to gear up, why do you want to have persistent storage so much anyway, i agree teh difficulty level is low currently, but im believing it will increase.

also, im only talking about storage delete upon death, i havent been talking about looting bodies here. a dead body is not your current character anyway, so its not same issue in my view.

and, i usually stay alive long enough to go need to loot places all over the map, i try to survive as long as possible, as do many others. playing the game is a reason enough to travel the map, and map will change as time goes on anyway.

storage deleted on death would not make any change to someone looting your stash while you were logged out alive, so that intensity wouldnt change, it  would be increased by the additional factor of dying and loosing everything when dead.

if you dotn find it hard to gear up, why do you want to have persistent storage so much anyway, i agree teh difficulty level is low currently, but im believing it will increase.

also, im only talking about storage delete upon death, i havent been talking about looting bodies here. a dead body is not your current character anyway, so its not same issue in my view.

and, i usually stay alive long enough to go need to loot places all over the map, i try to survive as long as possible, as do many others. playing the game is a reason enough to travel the map, and map will change as time goes on anyway.

I don't play this game to try to stay alive as long as possible, I die multiple times a day, that's fun for me.

I play primarily for the pvp, and the risk reward aspect of the environment.

I don't disagree that losing your stash would make things more risky/difficult, I just think it doesn't really fit with the game as it's very easy to die for any multitude of reasons, some completely out of your control.  If my stash got deleted upon death, I simply wouldn't bother.  That would become too much risk for too little reward for me.

It would also pretty much negate the entire purpose of a stash for me personally.  What am I really going to put in a tent that I'm going to need on the same life?

The whole purpose to storage and bases in my own view is to give long term goals, that persist through death.

I also don't like the thought of some guy going to loot my tent, me dying, and him sitting there as all my stuff just disappeared infront of his eyes.  That seems unfair to him.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

I don't play this game to try to stay alive as long as possible, I die multiple times a day, that's fun for me.

I play primarily for the pvp, and the risk reward aspect of the environment.

I don't disagree that losing your stash would make things more risky/difficult, I just think it doesn't really fit with the game as it's very easy to die for any multitude of reasons, some completely out of your control.  If my stash got deleted upon death, I simply wouldn't bother.  That would become too much risk for too little reward for me.

It would also pretty much negate the entire purpose of a stash for me personally.  What am I really going to put in a tent that I'm going to need on the same life?

The whole purpose to storage and bases in my own view is to give long term goals, that persist through death.

I also don't like the thought of some guy going to loot my tent, me dying, and him sitting there as all my stuff just disappeared infront of his eyes.  That seems unfair to him.

haha i think him arriving on your kit just as you were killed would be unlikely,

anyway i now realise why you want persistent storage, you only play dayz for pvp, i guess that this persistent will really affect pvp only players, and help them get back to fight asap.  dayz sa is more than pvp, it is amazing as a pvp game im sure , with all this space and freedom,, and some days i wish i played it that way, because i come from project reality and arma etc, but it pvp is just something that happens when you try to stay alive moving around in the dayz world . and when you been alive a while, it feels so hardcore, you are actually scared to give away your position, its amazing .

WE NEED TO PUT AN END TO META-GAMING.. DEAN NEEDS TO FIND A WAY TO FORCE PLAYERS TO DIE IRL UPON DEATH IN GAME.. THIS WAY THEY NEVER KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR PREVIOUS LIFE WHEN THEY SPAWN. BEING ABLE TO LIVE OVER AND OVER AGAIN IS UNREALISTIC. END META-GAMING FOREVERS.

• Like 1

haha i think him arriving on your kit just as you were killed would be unlikely,

anyway i now realise why you want persistent storage, you only play dayz for pvp, i guess that this persistent will really affect pvp only players, and help them get back to fight asap.  dayz sa is more than pvp, it is amazing as a pvp game im sure , with all this space and freedom,, and some days i wish i played it that way, because i come from project reality and arma etc, but it pvp is just something that happens when you try to stay alive moving around in the dayz world . and when you been alive a while, it feels so hardcore, you are actually scared to give away your position, its amazing .

For some background on myself, I find a lot of comparisons in DayZ to Ultima Online, pretty much my favorite game of all time, in terms of the risk/reward and freedom of the sandbox environment.  I enjoy pvp, but I feel a more rounded game in general leads to an even better pvp experience so I'm looking forward to the crafting/building and all that sort of stuff.  I get where you're coming from with the hardcore aspect and respect that playstyle, but to me base building and storage however are similar to housing in UO.  It gives me something to work towards long term through all the deaths that result from just playing and having fun, while still carrying the risk that some one's going to come and wreck it all =P

It also serves an important function for me personally to give me an attachment to a specific server.  If my storage deleted upon my death, I may be much more inclined to care less about which server I get on when I die.

Edited by Bororm