qww

after death run back to storage ?

It makes little sense to counter something unrealistic with something even less realistic. Even more so when the goal is to make a profoundly realistic game 

Edited by The End.

Removing storage on death is a terrible idea.

I want you to imagine something for me real quick.

Lets say you're wandering across Chernarus and you suddenly find someones base. Its decently sized and has guns and goodies galore! Now, before you can take your pick of the loot the camps owner appears and starts shooting at you. You win this fight and suddenly *pop* everything in that camp associated with that guy just disappeared taking all the loot with it.

Or, even better, you arrive at the camp and start looking through his stuff when suddenly, somewhere, the owner is shot/eaten/run over/drowns/burns to death/has his head caved in/chopped into pieces/falls off a building and his entire camp disappears.

• Like 3

Get yourself own server, die, never play at you server again. No thanks.

If storages and bases disappear after death, that kind of ruins the whole idea of having storage and base, doesn't it? We die right now 50% times on bugs or accidents and 50% to other players. Build a base for a week and when you die next day all disappears, that would seriously stop me from doing anything like that again, ever.

• Like 1

One thing to remember is camps can have big downsides. They can be wiped out while you are at the market collecting food for them. The culprits can lie in wait to ambush you afterwards, if it was a big camp, you basically just created a monster on the server that you now have to hunt down if you want your stuff back.

You may kill them on a loot run and retrieve your beloved betty van, or see your old heli flying off map and follow the bearing. Persistent storage/vehicles and factions fighting over them is dayz endgame at its best imo :)

ITT: Lone wolves who don't play in large groups with clans attempting to dictate how the game should be played for everyone.

Also ITT: People who didn't play the mod attempting to dictate how the game should be played for everyone.

Also ITT: People who did play the mod, do play with large groups, and have common sense saying that loot disappearing, being shuffled across the map, becoming broken, or otherwise do something other than remain where it is when the person who put it there died is stupid, and breaks the idea of persistence.

Listen, if you want your stuff to disappear when you die, join a new server after every death. If you enjoy playing on your own or with another person, then both of you keep to that ethos. Play on hardcore (which will, we're told, have more "hardcore" elements to it, other than just 1st person), keep a small backpack, or whatever, and play the game the way you like. The rest of us, who enjoy playing in a group, and like to stick to a server we know and can rely on, will play with persistent tents and items within them. I can get behind tents suffering from the elements, similar to how houses and whatnot decay except faster. I think there should be a chance for a tree branch to fall on a tent during a rain storm, for instance. I don't think everything in the test should be destroyed, and unrecoverable, like in the mod, but they should be damaged, and some of it should be ruined.

• Like 2

Best solution again is to block the storage from the player that died.  Lock it out.  it doesn't have to disappear but make it un-lootable to said player.  He can then hope that his buddies can make it to the storage and get his precious loot and then start pvp'ing again because this game isn't about survival, it's about being able to stack mass goods in a storage and play off that, right?

Best solution again is to block the storage from the player that died.  Lock it out.  it doesn't have to disappear but make it un-lootable to said player.  He can then hope that his buddies can make it to the storage and get his precious loot and then start pvp'ing again because this game isn't about survival, it's about being able to stack mass goods in a storage and play off that, right?

You're either deluding yourself or have been playing against idiots in the mod if you think that having a base with gear that persists through death makes the game easy mode. It makes it easier in some regards, but more difficult in others. Tent cities require a lot of thought when you're putting your base together because you have to balance between an area that is large enough to support your base/cache, but has dense enough tree cover and is far enough away from most paths/loot areas that there won't be a lot of foot traffic. You're also constantly on guard against your stuff being raided, while trying to plan raids yourself. Furthermore, following someone actually has a point with truly persistent tents/storage, because they can, and usually will, lead you right back to their camp. We had that happen once, where 3 of our guys got tailed right back to one of our camps. We all logged in the next day and it was completely gutted. All our medical supplies, all our weapons, food, ghille suits, everything. Then they flattened all the tents just to twist the knife even more.

I myself found a city in a similar way when I went on a hunting expedition to load up our tent city with food. Saw a guy running through the forest next to me. I followed behind him about 200m, and he led me right to his group's camp. Waited till he left, made a note of the location and any observable loot, and left. My group came back that night (NVG were pretty tits) and picked the place clean.

Further, in a survival situation like the one DayZ presents, you're out of your mind if you don't think that people who band together wouldn't hoard as much stuff as they possibly could in the case of an emergency, that's exactly what tents and hopefully structures will allow you to do.

The entire concept of making gear that is available to anyone in an open world sandbox like Chernarus is antithetical to the idea of an open world sandbox. The gear you left somewhere is lootable, and completely so, as it should be, by anyone who comes across it.

• Like 1

I would support locking players out of a server they've just died in for a limited time - say, 2+ hours.

That way, you would need to respawn in a different server if you wanted to continue playing in that session. In the new server, you wouldn't know the whereabouts of specific loot, nor of current players/firefights, so it would be more like starting your life again than if you could re-spawn in the same server. If you get knocked out of a gunfight, you should not be able to rejoin it as a "new life" a few minutes later, in my opinion.

If you're playing with a group, they could join the new server you're in to help you regear, but you would only be able to leave persistent loot in one server. If, after the lock-out, your camp/stash is still where you left it, then good luck for you - if not, tough shit. Perhaps your group would guard it for you until you got back, but it would be substantially longer (and more annoying/boring for them) than it is now or than it would be after the introduction of vehicles.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best I can think off of the top of my head. It would be slightly irritating if you owned a server to be locked out of it, but it would only be for a limited time - to prevent you from immediately regearing - and you could return to it later.

I would support locking players out of a server they've just died in for a limited time - say, 2+ hours.

That way, you would need to respawn in a different server if you wanted to continue playing in that session. In the new server, you wouldn't know the whereabouts of specific loot, nor of current players/firefights, so it would be more like starting your life again than if you could re-spawn in the same server. If you get knocked out of a gunfight, you should not be able to rejoin it as a "new life" a few minutes later, in my opinion.

If you're playing with a group, they could join the new server you're in to help you regear, but you would only be able to leave persistent loot in one server. If, after the lock-out, your camp/stash is still where you left it, then good luck for you - if not, tough shit. Perhaps your group would guard it for you until you got back, but it would be substantially longer (and more annoying/boring for them) than it is now or than it would be after the introduction of vehicles.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best I can think off of the top of my head. It would be slightly irritating if you owned a server to be locked out of it, but it would only be for a limited time - to prevent you from immediately regearing - and you could return to it later.

Bad idea.  I pay $94 a month for my server and no way in hell am I going to get locked out of it.

In the mod, a tent without an owner would disappear when a week had passed. I see nothing wrong with this mechanic, so I wouldn't want to change it

Bad idea.  I pay $94 a month for my server and no way in hell am I going to get locked out of it.

Yeah, I understand that.

Maybe if server owners were exempted from lockouts (on their own server only)? Or would than be a step too far towards pay-to-win?

Basically, persistent loot storage is incompatible with any attempt at immersive perma-death. Unless, that is, you massively shift the balance away from acquisition of loot items as the important factor in progressing your character, and put much more focus on the health/physical fitness/acquired skills of the character instead.

Yeah, I understand that.

Maybe if server owners were exempted from lockouts (on their own server only)? Or would than be a step too far towards pay-to-win?

Basically, persistent loot storage is incompatible with any attempt at immersive perma-death. Unless, that is, you massively shift the balance away from acquisition of loot items as the important factor in progressing your character, and put much more focus on the health/physical fitness/acquired skills of the character instead.

The game as it stands right now doesn't differentiate between players.  It does not know the identity of the server owner until they allow more admin controls such as auto admin login on the server. 

The game as it stands right now doesn't differentiate between players.  It does not know the identity of the server owner until they allow more admin controls such as auto admin login on the server. 

Yeah, but the game as it stands now doesn't have persistent storage, either, so it's not a issue yet.

Post-death loot recovery is bound to take place in the alpha stage of development, while we test how it works, but I really think the issue needs to be addressed somehow or other along the line. To be frank, I'd rather have 0 persistent storage than allow players to run back to camp every time they died, once the game is finished and balanced.

Yeah, but the game as it stands now doesn't have persistent storage, either, so it's not a issue yet.

Post-death loot recovery is bound to take place in the alpha stage of development, while we test how it works, but I really think the issue needs to be addressed somehow or other along the line. To be frank, I'd rather have 0 persistent storage than allow players to run back to camp every time they died, once the game is finished and balanced.

Well the funny thing about this whole persistent storage is the developers had only mentioned about them persisting through server resets.  Not once did they mention that they persist through each players lives.  Right now it's the players who are making the argument for themselves on how the persistent storage system will work.

This has always been one of my biggest complaints.  I've played with it in the mod and I didn't really mind but it certainly doesn't make the game feel very perma-deathy.   Hopefully the hardcore rules will recognize this ridiculous feature and wipe any storage we've placed.   That will still be abused by groups sharing tents and anyone with multiple copies of the game will still play it like perma-storage but at least it won't be TOO easy.

Perma storage still has a place and I'd hate to lose it entirely.  It's just..  silly.

Well the funny thing about this whole persistent storage is the developers had only mentioned about them persisting through server resets.  Not once did they mention that they persist through each players lives.  Right now it's the players who are making the argument for themselves on how the persistent storage system will work.

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy debate, though, eh?

I hope the devs are having similar arguments to us, because there is going to be a conflict between maintaining a semi-immersive perma-death scenario, and having people/groups hoard all the best items for insta-replen.

What about this: Once the Avatar who build the storage dies, said storage is tranfered to a random location in the woods.

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy debate, though, eh?

I hope the devs are having similar arguments to us, because there is going to be a conflict between maintaining a semi-immersive perma-death scenario, and having people/groups hoard all the best items for insta-replen.

Any clan run server is going to be like this tho.  They will have everything while tormenting non clan members.  

What about this: Once the Avatar who build the storage dies, said storage is tranfered to a random location in the woods.

Stupid.

I don't want to tail someone back to their base, shoot them, and then spend hours and hours trying to figure out where their loot magically teleported to.

I'm sort of of the mind that it can't really be fixed per-se, but storage overall can be made into a more involved endeavor. Things need to degrade gradually, so if you're not actually paying attention to your storage, it'll eventually degrade as to no longer be useful (at least with certain modes of storage, tents and backpacks).

I couldn't care less if someone dies and goes back to their loot, if there's some guarantee that their stash will degrade over time if not cared for. On top of the usual attrition of being discovered.

That and the individual storage units should be smaller overall, and the larger units should require some sort of involved process (i.e. construction, pitching, crafting, etc.)

The issue that I had with the storage in the mod wasn't that it was recyclable/persistent, but that it was just too easy. You found a tent, plopped it down, filled it full of ammo and 5+ weapons and called it a day really. There was no real maintenance factor. There were no activities.

I also think that the "if the tent isn't accessed within X amount of time, it disappears" thing was good as well.

Edited by Katana67

Any clan run server is going to be like this tho.  They will have everything while tormenting non clan members.  

So find their tent city/shed/whatever and loot/destroy it yourself. Or just stay in the woods, way away from where they operate. Or play on a different server from them. Or, you know, bitch endlessly about it.

People act like these tents and persistent storage and whatnot grant the players with access to them God mode. That's simply not the case.

Stupid.

I don't want to tail someone back to their base, shoot them, and then spend hours and hours trying to figure out where their loot magically teleported to.

Then lets say you have 10 minutes to claim the storage as yours

I'm sort of of the mind that it can't really be fixed per-se, but storage overall can be made into a more involved endeavor. Things need to degrade gradually, so if you're not actually paying attention to your storage, it'll eventually degrade as to no longer be useful (at least with certain modes of storage, tents and backpacks).

I couldn't care less if someone dies and goes back to their loot, if there's some guarantee that their stash will degrade over time if not cared for. On top of the usual attrition of being discovered.

That and the individual storage units should be smaller overall, and the larger units should require some sort of involved process (i.e. construction, pitching, crafting, etc.)

The issue that I had with the storage in the mod wasn't that it was recyclable/persistent, but that it was just too easy. You found a tent, plopped it down, filled it full of ammo and 5+ weapons and called it a day really. There was no real maintenance factor. There were no activities.

I also think that the "if the tent isn't accessed within X amount of time, it disappears" thing was good as well.

This I would like to see. Tents and backpacks should fall apart if they're left unattended, and the items within them should slowly progress from whatever condition they were in previously, to badly damaged or even ruined. I wouldn't like to see the stuff flatout disappearing, but rather just letting the items stay there, all ruined. I think that would be a better way to handle it than disappearing the items outright. Imagine coming across a tent that looks messed up, but maybe still usable when you're hungry and maybe wounded from a gunfight or zombie encounter, and getting your hopes up, only to have them dashed to shreds when there's nothing but piles of rust and rotten food available.

• Like 1

Then lets say you have 10 minutes to claim the storage as yours

Likewise stupid. Why put a time limit on it (other than something like a week or 2 weeks before the tents degrade and the items inside begin to take damage/get ruined)? Suppose you kill someone in Msta, for example, and make your way west, and stumble on a tent that belonged to them. Except oops, because you killed someone a click and a half away, and it took you too long to get there, the tent isn't there anymore.