Sign in to follow this  
shadowvfx

Realistic noise levels for prone/crouch/standing

I get why it is the way audibility works as it is currently. It's the typical video game mindset.

Prone = most stealthy, but slow

Crouched = moderate stealth and speed

Standing = loudest, but fastest

But in reality, the amount of noise you make in each stance doesn't make much sense. Think about it, how noisy would you be if you tried to crawl on the ground (with all sorts of gear/backpack on) at the speed your avatar does? Yes, IRL snipers might do this to reach a target/objective without being spotted, but they are moving REALLY slowly while doing it and without carrying 100lbs of supplies (usually). Realistically, walking in a crouched stance would probably be the least audible in a forest/urban setting, followed second by walking in a standing position. Least of all would prone.

Please don't get confused here, I am NOT referring to visual stealthiness, only audible stealthiness. I don't think it's appropriate that Prone = best visual and audible stealth, while standing = worst of both. I think it could be a much more interesting dynamic to pick and choose your stance appropriately to your situation.

And before you reply to tell me I'm full of sh*t or whatever, just think about it. Or heck, go try it out for yourself. How much noise do you make crossing a street crouched vs crawling? How about your lawn? I think you can at least understand what I'm getting at here.

That is all.

Actually, I feel like being less visible but making more noise while prone than while crouched and more visible would add an interesting balance to the art of zombie avoidance. Like you only want to prone when about to be spotted to wait and hope the zombie doesn't see you as he passes by.

Yeah I always find it funny that the "cruuuunch cruuuuuunch sliiiiiiiiide cruuuuuuunch" of prone is only one bar of sound, where as if you take a single running or crouch running step within 20 meters of a zombie you should just prepare to be swarmed.

Actually' date=' I feel like being less visible but making more noise while prone than while crouched and more visible would add an interesting balance to the art of zombie avoidance.

[/quote']Exactly my thoughts, too.

And before you reply to tell me I'm full of sh*t or whatever' date=' just think about it. Or heck, go try it out for yourself. How much noise do you make crossing a street crouched vs crawling? How about your lawn? I think you can at least understand what I'm getting at here.

[/quote']

my neighbors disapprove

but yeah, maybe they should make it

crouch-least noise

prone (sprint)-least visual profile

prone (normal)least noise and visual

but have the prone normal pace at half current speed

in the end, ArmA2 made the decision to speed movement up a bit anyway (no one runs as fast as the player char with as much gear and for those lengths of time) I think the standing sprint is like over 20 km an hour or something ridiculous

Bottom Line-Im not going to cry if it doesnt change but realism in a simulator is always better

What kills me is that my footsteps when crouched are just as loud as when standing.And its the same volume when I am slow crouching as when I am fast crouching which to me makes me feel as if I am stomping my feet with each step.Then the sound of rapid footsteps when side strafing and in outside view the character is slowly moving step over step.Arma2 is just clunky in so many ways sadly.

But Rocket can fix certain things.I agree that you should be louder when crawling compared to crouching.This will add dynamic where you use crouching when very close but out of cone of view and prone when further away but in view.If that makes sense.

Plus I feel that a jogging speed for when you press W would feel way more natural even though I know it will take longer to get places.I can't tell if sprinting is faster than running.And crouch running seems too fast also.

I'd like to see what steps will be taken in the next patch to adjust issues regarding Zombie behavior, player discipline and logic will be reassessed.