r4z0r49

DayZ Mod 1.8.1

All you have to do to manually change OA beta versions is to delete the 'Expansions\beta' folder that contains it and drop in the new required version.  I've been doing it that way for years, just keeping all the betas tucked away in a folder and swapping them in as required.  The installation routine does nothing special, just copies in the folder and files, then adds an entry in the installed programs list.

Steam can be prevented from interfering with the beta version, by either

- not opting in to the betas listed in the Steam properties in the first place and manually installing each time ... which takes seconds

- opting out of all betas in the Steam properties and manually installing any version required

As for the beta version conflict between server and client ... 103718 (server) is confirmed as working with 116523 (client) and is used by the dev team.

If selecting 'required build' in the server options is preventing players from joining, dare I suggest unticking it?

Edited by RN_Max

Just to add to the confusion: It now shows me that I am using version 1.63.124879

wtf? Is there yet another new version around?

I don't know what happened, I just started the game the same way I did yesterday - when it worked just fine and on 124802.

Edited by Arfour

All you have to do to manually change OA beta versions is to delete the 'Expansions\beta' folder that contains it and drop in the new required version.  I've been doing it that way for years, just keeping all the betas tucked away in a folder and swapping them in as required.  The installation routine does nothing special, just copies in the folder and files, then adds an entry in the installed programs list.

Agreed, I have been doing this successfully, however, I failed to back up my expansions folder before updating via Steam and have no way of getting it back.  I was going to have a friend zip it and send it to me since he hasn't updated, but I might look at the method Jimmy just posted.

As for the beta version conflict between server and client ... 103718 (server) is confirmed as working with 116523 (client) and is used by the dev team.

If selecting 'required build' in the server options is preventing players from joining, dare I suggest unticking it?

Jimmy, could this be the case?  It would be nice to be able to join 3480 without overhauling everything.

Yo all!
there is "small" problem with 124879. After joining with 124879 on 112555 patched server i get( and propably all clients with 124879) authentication timeout :(

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?178443-ARMA-2-OA-Beta-build-124779-Steam-Mp-Lobby-%281-63-build-Steam-only%29

Posted by Dr. Hladik, BIS Developer on the official forums:

New Beta was released.
With one huge change - this beta is not part of Arma2: operation Arrowhead beta product, but is a branch of normal Arma2: operation Arrowhead.
This was needed so both beta and normal game have the same product ID.

How-to-change-Arma-branches-between-STABLE-amp-DEVELOPMENT.

Changelog:
 - added steam ownership checking
 - BE update

edit: you need to restart steam to see it :)
edit2: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead - Dedicated Server now has branch "beta" as well

Jeez, that strange arcane device that requires effort and typing might help around here ... a search engine, perhaps.

So ... 124779 is in fact the dev beta branch of  ArmA 2 OA at version 1.63.124779 ... and is NOT the ArmA 2 OA beta expansion that everyone knows and adores.

124879 authentication timeout on all (just a handful really) servers available here too.

Should I reinstall the (maybe not so) "obsolete" seperate A2:OA Beta to get access to 108074 and 112555 ? (GAMESPY)

Probably the best bet to go back to stable ArmA 2 OA and using the beta expansion for the time being.  Many DayZ mod servers, particularly public hive, are already miles behind the curve simply keeping up with v1.8.1, let alone messing with underlying ArmA 2 stuff.

Right ... now, the tricky difference ...

To play with ArmA 2 OA 1.63.124779 beta development branch - change the Steam ArmA 2 OA properties betas tab and select BETA.

This method will replace the beta expansion from this version onward, which is why it is tagged "(obsolete)" in Steam.  In fact, the beta expansion will be older than this dev branch of OA.

To return to ArmA 2 OA 1.62.95248 stable branch and use the beta expansions up to 1.63.116523 - change the Steam ArmA 2 OA properties betas tab and select NONE.

Then install the required version of the beta expansion.

Clear as mud eh?  Not if you do a little simple homework, then it's crystal.

To return to ArmA 2 OA 1.62.95248 stable branch and use the beta expansions up to 1.63.116523 - change the Steam ArmA 2 OA properties betas tab and select NONE.

Then install the required version of the beta expansion.

You don't even need to. You can have both verisons installed and run both at the same time without having to change anything.

I have written a comprehensive guide here a while back - it should have everything you'd need to play on both the newest patch as well as the old 103718 patches:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/187129-bad-version-server-rejected-connection-any-all-problems-regarding-beta-patches-for-arma-2-oa/

It works flawlessly for me anyway.

• Like 1

Just to add to the confusion: It now shows me that I am using version 1.63.124879

wtf? Is there yet another new version around?

I don't know what happened, I just started the game the same way I did yesterday - when it worked just fine and on 124802.

Yup I'm getting reports of this from multiple people tonight, which just makes the whole situation worse and fragments everyone even more. 

DO NOT update to the steam betas yet unless the servers you play on are on a patch > 112555!! 

• Like 1

You don't even need to. You can have both verisons installed and run both at the same time without having to change anything.

I have written a comprehensive guide here a while back - it should have everything you'd need to play on both the newest patch as well as the old 103718 patches:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/187129-bad-version-server-rejected-connection-any-all-problems-regarding-beta-patches-for-arma-2-oa/

Horses for courses I guess, nice idea.

Edited by RN_Max

I know how to do it, was just wondering if it`s worth it. It seems it does as with 124879 I get authentication timeout on all but 124879 servers, and there aren`t any of those running vanilla DayZ.

What I don`t get is why I cannot pass authentication with 124879 client on 124802 servers since both versions are post 124779 when the gamespy-steam authentication switch was introduced.

Yup I'm getting reports of this from multiple people tonight, which just makes the whole situation worse and fragments everyone even more. 

DO NOT update to the steam betas yet unless the servers you play on are on a patch > 112555!! 

Yep, it's frustrating because obviously the update got installed without me even noticing it.  What I did in the end was to just download the 112555 and to install it manually. I got a "wrong CD key" warning but now it works fine for me. I have to start dayZ Mod from steam "with beta patch" again, but what do I care? ;)

Automatic updates for both dayz mod and arrowhead are off now as well.

"Is it worth it?" I did answer.

Probably the best bet to go back to stable ArmA 2 OA and using the beta expansion for the time being.  Many DayZ mod servers, particularly public hive, are already miles behind the curve simply keeping up with v1.8.1, let alone messing with underlying ArmA 2 stuff.

As for why it won't authenticate, I don't know either ... apart from perhaps a fundamental difference between beta versions preventing authentication for the DayZ mod specifically.

Edited by RN_Max
  • Like 1

THANK YOU!  This worked for me as well!  Word about this needs to get out.

• Like 2

THANK YOU!  This worked for me as well!  Word about this needs to get out.

People tend to make it harder than it is. The new system is the easiest it can get. The only people that have to deal with a bit of nonsense are the server-owners / admins.

Aside from the version debacle...

Im getting this in my log:

20:40:35 Error in expression <l "sepsisStarted")) then {

systemChat (localize "str_medical_sepsis_warning");>
20:40:35   Error position: <(localize "str_medical_sepsis_warning");>
20:40:35   Error Missing ;
20:40:35 File z\addons\dayz_code\medical\setup_functions_med.sqf, line 143
20:40:35 Error in expression <l "sepsisStarted")) then {

systemChat (localize "str_medical_sepsis_warning");>
20:40:35   Error position: <(localize "str_medical_sepsis_warning");>
20:40:35   Error Missing ;
20:40:35 File z\addons\dayz_code\medical\setup_functions_med.sqf, line 143

Seems to be an error in the setup_functions_med.sqf... looks ok though. Any ideas?

Seems to be an error in the setup_functions_med.sqf... looks ok though. Any ideas?

Ah, ok. I got it. I´m still running on 1.62 and "systemChat" is not available there. I just uncommented the lines above then.

Still report it?

Edited by dayzjarhead

People tend to make it harder than it is. The new system is the easiest it can get. The only people that have to deal with a bit of nonsense are the server-owners / admins.

True.  It's a cinch now to switch between versions.  I've linked to your post on Reddit on both r/dayz and r/dayzmod.  Lots of people are seeing it.  What cracks me up is the "No, DZC works fine for me thankyou" comments.  I supposed I could have prefaced the title link more or worded the title better.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DayZmod/comments/27v693/psa_for_anyone_having_troubles_connecting_to_181/

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/27v6f9/psa_for_anyone_having_troubles_connecting_to_181/

It's true that it is a cinch to switch between versions and that is helpful for another quite unintentional and unfortunate reason.

The "obsolete" beta expansion is not so obsolete ... 17 servers have configured their Steam ports so far and are listed in the new OA Dev Branch server browser.  That's a whopping rise of 3 servers from 14 yesterday.

None of those 17 Steam visible servers are listed in WithSix or DZC either, unless that has been updated to query Steam server ports.

To play on any of the remaining 4183 (total visible from WithSix) servers, "play with beta patch" remains the practical option for launching DayZ mod, as they're all still on GameSpy only.

Until all, or at least most, of those servers get the message and get updated, there is no point getting rid of the beta expansion ... players will most likely need it to play, unless they know the IP and port of every server they want to join by "Remote" manual connection, which would get boring and clumsy real fast.

I've noticed another issue that may be additional nonsense for server owners / admins.  It appears the "obsolete" beta expansion is not so obsolete for servers either.

When launching my DayZ sandbox server, a vanilla private hive build, using OA server dev branch 1.63.124879, it is calling for resources from  \Expansion\beta\expansion\addons\communityconfigurationproject_e.pbo

The server returns the classic "Addon 'dayz anim' requres addon 'CA_CommunityConfigurationProject_E" error, unless Expansion\beta\expansion is listed as a mod in the launch options and is present in the build.

I'm guessing that another future fix will be needed for the required resource (BAF Lite and PMC Lite content?) to be called from the OA Dev branch, to get rid of the requirement for the obsolete beta expansion.

In which case, does the OA Dev branch carry the content required by the DayZ mod for it to be called from there?  I don't see a problem client side when launching, but then I guess I wouldn't, because I have BAF, PMC and ACR installed anyway.

There's a problem with grabbing backpacks for example british and givin' transfussion. ( lack of roll list ) It's problably bug because sometimes it works. I've noticed also that some players can get in the hospital while I see glass in windows - I can't get through.

There's a problem with grabbing backpacks for example british and givin' transfussion. ( lack of roll list ) It's problably bug because sometimes it works.

Please give more information about this, so we can reproduce it. Which server is this happening on?

I've noticed also that some players can get in the hospital while I see glass in windows - I can't get through.

That is an ARMA-related client-syncing issue.

It's PL4639 official hive. I've noticed that some players are not able to give transfussion sometimes, even though target is in need of blood. What's more, while me and my friend couldn't do anything with that, we could give transfussion to the third player who came at that moment. I'm not sure if it's connected with desynchro, but we all had pings at about 30-50 msec and no desynchro. ( In the past, such problem had only players who had really weak connections ) Relogging helped as far as I remember but it's a bit inconvenient these days.

If it comes to backpacks, before 1.8.1 I have no problem with such thing like no mouse roll list while targeting backpacks. Maybe it's only some clients issue but I decided to mention about these things. I don't make any demands to you for fixing it up cuz it may be a rare problem to others and just common for me :)

I couldn't find a thread for it so I listed my 1.8.1 bugs in DayZ Mod Troubleshooting

1) Zeds attacking through wall (AGAIN)

2) Zeds attacking and hitting 10 feet away (AGAIN)