Vipeax

This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application.

A fair amount of users has received the following message in the past few hours/days (duration depends on the cause):

This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application. You cannot play on this server. If you are the server admin please contact DayZ staff.

Now there are multiple reasons for this message and due to the number of different threads, emails and PMs regarding this I will try to give you a summary on what's causing it and what you should do.

The first and oldest cause of this, was during the change in the database system, which required a newer version of the server-side application of the Hive. This update toke place a while ago (to be exact when female skins were added) and the message is essentially a reference to that update, as it's the first time a character would stop loading and the cause was that the returned character values were not compatible with the old version.

The returned message itself never changed as it essentially means a character's data can't be parsed into a working character state, which is what happens when a character is being loaded in by the server and sent to your client.

These days this message is therefor a bit false and may very well be changed into something more informative. These days it can be caused by the following:

1. Character corruption
  2. Server not being whitelisted/firewall
  3. False data being returned
  4. Hive being down

Character corruption

The most recent cause for this was the adding of melee weapons. As many may have noticed the workaround to add melee weapons still requires it to have "ammo". The bug that appeared during it's first release was that characters would stock a gigantic amount of hatchets/crowbars into their inventory, which caused the character's data to become too big to actually load in. Most of these have been filtered out fairly quickly, but some people are still having this problem as of today. These are easy to fix, but are only fixable by us, so if you are in this situation it's important to notify us regarding this issue.

Server not being whitelisted/firewall

In this situation a server never actually receives any data from the Hive, which again makes it impossible to parse any of a character's data, resulting in the incorrect-version message. This can be caused by the server not being whitelisted (anymore?), a firewall blocking the TCP traffic or the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (32-bit/x86) not being installed, which causes the Hive Extension to never be loaded at all. The solutions for this are therefor simple:

• You've setup a server without actually going through the right steps of hosting a DayZ server, so make sure you contact anyone of the server admin team.
  • A firewall is blocking the traffic, in other words you have some kind of firewall blocking port 3306 (which can be both ways).
  • You need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) package on the server, which can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29.

False data being returned

False data being returned is what became the most common with the release of the ARMA X Anniverersary edition. With the direct cause being the following change:

[94002] Fixed: PlayerId changed for users using Reinforcements or Arma X Anniversary edition to prevent PlayerId conflicts.

Due to the PlayerID currently being handled as an integer (set of numbers, see google for more info if you care) the more recent beta builds/anniversary edition are requesting the information with PlayerIDs that can't be found, as the sent data is not matching the type it's looking for.

Hive being down

This is fairly easy to recognize, as everyone stops being able to connect. It's also the issue we try to prevent at all costs.

Recognizing the issue and the solution(s)

Now that you should have a decent idea of what could be going on I will give a brief summary on how to detect which of these is the issue and how to deal with them.

The first step you should take is either checking the forums or the IRC channel to see if a lot of other people are having this issue. If so it's most likely the Hive being down entirely, which is something you can't fix, but we will immediately respond and try to fix this as fast as we can, to be exact this happened just a moment ago, after a database change to prepare the Hive for 1.7.2, which should have been fixed now.

If this is not the case the next (till 1.7.2) most common cause will be that you are running a recent build, which has the new string-based Player ID. You can find your player ID easily by going to the main menu of ARMA 2 -> Profiles -> Edit -> the ID that appears at the bottom of the tiny window that opened up. If this contains anything but numbers (say 123456ABC) it means you are running a version that we don't support yet, but it's an issue that has a high priority and will be fixed very soon.

If also this is not the case (your player ID clearly existed out of only numbers, say 123456) you are either joining a broken server (see point 2) or your character is corrupted (see point 1). To determine which one of the 2 it is, try joining a few servers that are clearly working (>= 40 people playing) and if you keep getting that error, your character is corrupted. To solve this I will need your Player ID so that I can fix your character.

So if your character is corrupted you can either post it here (or PM it to me, but having them here is more likely to get it fixed sooner). All other causes are unrelated to your specific situation and thus I can't fix them at this very moment for you. For the people who simply patched to a newer beta version of ARMA2, try reversing your update by going back to a version that doesn't support the newer Player ID system. For other issues, see the above.

We are sorry for those affected by these issues and please be aware that we are doing our very best to get everyone playing again.

Edit:

TR!PLE has found a fix for people with the ARMA2 X-edition, showing it is indeed possible to just drop down in (beta) patches:

1. Do not use SixUpdater!
  2. Clean Arma2 X installation
  3. update to ArmA2 CO 1.60 official (707MB)
  4. update to Arma2 93965 beta
  5. Install DayZ 1.7.1.5 alpha (14 files go here -> .../Arma2/@DayZ/Addons)
  6. Start Arma2oa with the beta shortcut
  7. Check "beta" and "@DayZ" ingame
  8. Play on servers saying DayZ 1.7.1.5 and beta 93965

• Like 7

If this contains anything but numbers (say 123456ABC) it means you are running a version that we don't support yet, but it's an issue that has a high priority and will be fixed very soon.

This affects me :( ArmA X retail

I could understand if it never worked but mine has done until a sixlauncher update a few days ago, I was using 1.7.1.5 with no problems at that time.

Is there anything that can be done as temporary fix or a way to change the player ID ?

Nick: Robban (at the moment)

ID: 6367302

Got the "This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application." message a couple of times after which I spawned in debug plains. Character corrupted; location resets to 813894 on every login.

**FIXED**

Character corrupted I think, I login floating in mid air with nothing around me. Tried multiple servers, was forcefully d/c'd when hive went down earlier.

PlayerID is 11699526 ]TPG[*Dagger

@PK, not that I know of. Still waiting for my copy to debug this further.

@Penox, try now.

@dagg929, try now.

Hrm, I'm in but now I'm missing all the stuff I acquired in the last like six hours.

At least it works I suppose.

I hope the patch will come soon :D

Name: Domee

ID: 364674RFT

I was driving a vehicle by the coast outside the "map" and logged in with no vehicle and at a different location from before and I'm dying from hunger.... I can't take loosing all these things right now. Not again.

• Like 1

@PK, not that I know of. Still waiting for my copy to debug this further.

I have faith and i'm grateful for your effort :) Fingers crossed

I was driving a vehicle by the coast outside the "map" and logged in with no vehicle and at a different location from before and I'm dying from hunger.... I can't take loosing all these things right now. Not again.

Always save a vehicle often, as you never know if you disconnect, server crashes, game crashes etc.

Always save a vehicle often' date=' as you never know if you disconnect, server crashes, game crashes etc.

[/quote']

I didn't know saving was for location as well. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

for the arma X user with the id problem: there are much servers running still with the 93965 Beta Patch. Delete the content of die arma2/Expansion/Beta folder and install the 93965 Build, works....i could play on germany 2 today. dont have tested with other servers, but i think it works until the update is released.

Hi, I believe my character is corrupted. Please try to fix it asap, I am suffering with this issue a long time now and the zombie population is growing every minute.

ID:88582 with manual installation

ID:88582AX when Six Launcher is used

So, what that mean?

I tried connect so many servers that I stopped count.

My playerID: 53698

same problem with "This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application."

i've never played dayz before so i dont know if my character is corrupted but maybe thats the problem !

EDIT: ok i checked again with dayz and there is a AX at the end of my playerID. so i have to wait until version 1.7.2 ??

I dont know if i have that "False data being returned" issue... but i have ArmA X and in ArmA 2 I have ID: 60806 and with Beta patch I have ID: 60806AX.. so is it okay?

I dont know if i have that "False data being returned" issue... but i have ArmA X and in ArmA 2 I have ID: 60806 and with Beta patch I have ID: 60806AX.. so is it okay?

Sorry buddy but your player ID contains letters :( You can't play and nothing you can do until it's fixed.

More info here > http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=23085

If this contains anything but numbers (say 123456ABC) it means you are running a version that we don't support yet' date=' but it's an issue that has a high priority and will be fixed very soon.[/quote']

Sorry buddy but your player ID contains letters :( You can't play and nothing you can do until it's fixed.

More info here > http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=23085

If this contains anything but numbers (say 123456ABC) it means you are running a version that we don't support yet' date=' but it's an issue that has a high priority and will be fixed very soon.[/quote']

Yeah thank for reply.. i know there was this sentence "if this contanins..." but my english is too poor for understand it so i asked ;)

'' This server is running an incorrect version of server side appliction. '' when I try to get into certain servers.

IGN: [T2DK] Rick Deckard

ID: 26106630

My game is bought on Steam and I run Dayz with Sixlauncher/Updater.

I had this issue last night, I hadn't seen this thread so I tried to figure it out on my own. I opened six updater and it said I needed to update, I thought this strange as I was updated to the current version. I reinstalled 1.7.1.5 via six updater and then I was able to join back into servers no problem.

This server is running an incorrect version of the server side application.

mmmm same problem as a lot of people i believe. Tried different servers seems to be on all of them so far never being able to get on, funny because i only installed dayz the other day and it worked great for a while then suddenly poof! no more :(

sounds like my character is corrupt would appreciate a fix please (btw i'm using armaX if that means anything?)

andyxeno

ID 370689