xploD

Is this seriously the whole game?

Shorter version: I played games advertised as RTM but they were utter crap. At least I knew before buying, that DayZ is still not complete.

Edited by umberfive

Is there a sign up sheet for group suicides? Threads like this really make me hate my fellow (wo)man.

• Like 1

I just bought the game and spent 6 hours straight playing it..

I managed to run from the shore all the way to the NW base, I didn't see a single person, I seen maybe 3 zombies.

I got myself enough canned food and ammo and guns and water along the way to probably last me a week or more.

I wandered around for another 4 hours town to town just in hopes to find someone, then wondered what I would do, be friends and wander around together for another couple hours?

Or do I shoot him and wander around alone for another 4 hours before I see someone else. 

I don't know what I was expecting, but I cannot understand how this is even remotely fun? I just held W for 6 hours to literally do nothing but pick up some canned food and a gun? 

I'm sure some fun times can happen if a couple of people end up in a town, but is that excitement only to come once every couple hours? 

If zombies are horrible and of no threat, and you hardly ever see people then, wouldn't it be logical to either increase players or zombies per server?

I can see it being better when zombies aren't retarded, also when vehicles are around so you dont have to run for 1 hour and could have more warfare.

I can think of a lot of ways this game could become beast..

Different kinds of zombies? Faster, Slower, Crawling, Hiding.

More guns, like 10-20 typical guns you'd find around Merica.

Vehicles(coming soon): Boats, Helicopter, Biplane, Atv, SUV, Trucks, gocart, golfcart, motorbikes.

WAY WAY WAY more zombies that are more responsive, almost to the point where you make one wrong move you'll be surrounded, or where there is actually an advantage of sticking together with people you meet so you can defend yourself against big hordes of zombies.

AT LEAST 60-120 players per server so you might actually see someone every now and again, and make zombies scale with how many players. 

The ability to set up a secure trading post.

Yup. I feel your pain, man. And don't worry about what others might say. your boredome has nothing to do with the fact that the game is in alpha stage. Believe me, unless serious game changes are made before official release, the final game will be just as boring.

This is for the simple reason that the game's success is hedge 100% COMPLETELY  on player involvement and input.

What this means is that if players choose not to participate in a concerted effort to provide interesting adventures and gameplay, then the game will not be enjoyable in the long run.

What should be considered is a plan to decouple player enjoyment from MMO player involvement. Provide other quest like adventures for individuals to accomplish aside from having to rely on other people to play with them.  Any game whose enjoyment is based 100% on player participation will only be fun in the very short term, or as long as it takes for these other players to decide not to not participate in the game anymore. It would be a game doomed to failure.

Pity @rocket doesn't see it his way.

Anyone already told him that Chernarus is not in America? :P

If yes- ignore

If no- its not America!! ;)

just a suggestion for future, search games on youtube and watch some actual gameplay...it's what I always do. I found tons of scary, hilarious, interesting vids for this game which sold me on it...and as others mentioned, it's in Alpha so it's gonna be bare bones at this point.

• Like 1

oh comeon, I lasted 15 mins the first time I played, you must be the ONLY person on 'your' server for you to have amassed so much resource and NOT fight more than 3 zombies........Even on a server with NINE players , I was fighting 3 zombies AND 2 other players in less than 10 minutes......

Edited by MicZee

alpha = Feature incomplete, buggy. A game in alpha is by definition unfinished

DayZ SA is labelled as alpha

People buy alpha, complain on internet that game is incomplete, buggy

Others answer " the game is alpha, you should expect it to be incomplete"

Complainers reply, "don't tell me it's alpha because I know it's alpha", even though they clearly don't understand what it means

People begin to start non-constructive complaint threads with "I expected this game to be complete and without bugs/glitches, but I know it's alpha, so don't tell me it's alpha" as if this is some kind of legitimate point

------------------------------

Explaining that the game is buggy and incomplete because the game is in early development is the correct response - It's in alpha. If you want a complete game, wait until it's complete. Then you can judge the game legitimately. Until then, play something else which isn't unfinished.

All of the above shows that most consumers aren't ready for early access. They have no idea what it means even when they say they understand. You might even say it's misleading. In my opinion there needs to be some kind of barrier to this kind of access to early versions of games.

Alpha - A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features. These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.   Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.

If you're planning on being a smartass make sure at least your first sentence is correct, if you're gonna herp at least derp before it.

This is probably the biggest problem with companies releasing Alpha or even early Beta versions of games for people to buy. Most people don't seem to understand the difference between early versions and finished products. Part of that could be because even a lot released products today seem to still be Betas. :o  But still.....

Edited by abentwookie

@Jolun, You missed a bit at the beginning of your Wikipedia quote...

"Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished."

Edited by MarchHare

Alpha - A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features. These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.   Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.

If you're planning on being a smartass make sure at least your first sentence is correct, if you're gonna herp at least derp before it.

No, the alpha ENDS at a feature freeze. Beta is "feature complete".

• Like 1

Ahhh id say you saw videos either on the mod of dayz( which has been around since earlish 2012) or those who have illegally modded( and usually having pirated the game to sad that it happens) dayz SA to include vehicles hellis from the mod . These will be added in time and with higher polycount models and better textures and also far more depth to the repair maintenance systems( i hope but pretty sure they will seeing they taking there time with them.)

Modding will be allowed in the SA once it is released as a game( or there abouts mod support is a listed coming feature) so really there will be an endless supply of content and play styles available. Early days honestly people asking me about dayz is it any good i reply it will be EPIC but do not buy yet give it time to flesh out more its still very early dayz(pun intended.)

I think if people start with that mess modding It might kill all the fun. Unless it downloads when you join in, server counts will drop mayby not sure lol. Seems like it would be a form of hacking :rolleyes: but not really. Would BattlEye ban for some mods? This seem to be a strange topic. I not really sure about this at this point. I guess we will have to see. I sure like playing this now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sparkplug

Thank you for your $30 donation.  Sorry it turns out you didn't like it. Those of us who love it and look forward to it being completed thank you!

• Like 2

You know OP, I think even with the completed game, this may not be the game for you.  All of that stuff is just fluff, but the core of DayZ (and the reason I love it) is already there.

Yes you travel long distances for a gun or a can of beans, but it's the journey, not the destination.  You need to be able to appreciate traveling and taking in the little things.  It also servers to build tension to a situation.  It's that feeling of fear when you take all that time to get somewhere and you hear a bullet whiz past your head, or see and more human like figure in the place you're going.  You know if you mess this up all that time you spent traveling would be wasted.  If you were in a gunfight every 5 minutes you'd be desensitized to it and when it happened at random it would be a bore, just like any other shooter.

The point is the game is a slow build to big moments.  Yes there are elements that can be fixed and more done to bring all of the focus away from the NE, but at its core, DayZ is a slow paced game.  Even with vehicles, you would still be running around for hours finding parts and such to get it running, all to have it stolen by someone who was tailing you the whole time.

What should be considered is a plan to decouple player enjoyment from MMO player involvement. Provide other quest like adventures for individuals to accomplish aside from having to rely on other people to play with them.  Any game whose enjoyment is based 100% on player participation will only be fun in the very short term, or as long as it takes for these other players to decide not to not participate in the game anymore. It would be a game doomed to failure.

Pity @rocket doesn't see it his way.

Just no.  We don't need some silly quest/achievement system put it place to make things "more fun".  People just need to set their own goals and make plans for their survival, and their reward is getting what they worked for.  Fix a car?  Spend the next 3 hours doing this, your reward is a car.  Go on an adventure?  Pick a place you haven't been to, plan a route and go, the enjoyment is in the journey.  Set up a camp?  Collect supplies, make a base, protect said base.

There will be plenty more but the things to do should be organic and make sense.  No need to shoehorn in some run of the mill MMO system.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon
  • Like 2

I read all the Alpha warnings. I've also researched things, but as you read, I asked QUESTIONS. 

I understand lots of things will be implemented, and I also added things that are not on the 'to be added' list.

Will it ever be lots more zombies? Will it ever be more than 40 players per server or is that what they wanted?

Also is it common to spend 6 hours and not a see a single person?

Do you usually end up spending 1-3 hours just holding W before you see or do anything relevant? 

I know vehicles will be a big change, but also having more than 40 people will as well. 

I will give you a breakdown

1. You obviously didn't look too much in and asked too many questions a simple YT video unedited would've shown you including multiple reviews

2.Good then why complain?

3. We know as much as you the mods don't know either only the dev's do but most likely yes

4. Yes it's common to not see anybody at all depending on how populated a server is

5. No I find things to do I don't KoS like it's BF4 in this game

5. Again just wait it's only in Alpha

Well done now if you had just spent 1/10th of as long reading the alpha warnings on the game you wouldnt have needed to waste so much time on this post. Also some reasearch into a game( or in this case an alpha of a game) before buying is always a smart move.

But hey dont feel bad you will fit in with the huge amount of other people not reading the warnings and making complaint posts oh so often here WELCOME..

Truth hurts, huh, buddy?

I see a lot of butthurt fanboys like you spewing shit at the OP. What I don't see is anyone disagreeing with him or giving any indication what will be done to fix these issues. These were the issues that made Dayz boring, I don't think they learned any lessons from that, or have any real plans to address these issues. Which is why I don't play and have no intention of playing the release game currently. 

I don't know what is sadder, you guys jumping on him for stating the obvious or the fact your life is so devoid of enjoyment you still play the game he describes above!

Given that you even concede that a "huge" amount of people share his concerns maybe they should be addressed. Or you enjoy playing a dead game?

Thanks for understanding. Enjoy your walking.

Edited by -Morph-
  • Like 1

Truth hurts, huh, buddy?

I see a lot of butthurt fanboys like you spewing shit at the OP. What I don't see is anyone disagreeing with him or giving any indication what will be done to fix these issues. These were the issues that made Dayz boring, I don't think they learned any lessons from that, or have any real plans to address these issues. Which is why I don't play and have no intention of playing the release game currently. 

I don't know what is sadder, you guys jumping on him for stating the obvious or the fact your life is so devoid of enjoyment you still play the game he describes above!

Given that you even concede that a "huge" amount of people share his concerns maybe they should be addressed. Or you enjoy playing a dead game?

Truth hurts that you don't understand most vets play the mod version because SA isn't that good ATM we play other games I assure you only thing is is you send hate comments at him for hating on OP yet you hate on him at the same time such a hypocrite

It's post-pandemic pseudo-Czech republic, so no.

I'd like to see more eastern european firearms than there currently are in the game. We could start with makarov pm, pretty much the most common handgun in eastern bloc.

• Like 1

Truth hurts, huh, buddy?

Whats this truth you speak of??? and who is playing what game ?? am i play testing an early release alpha not a full game yeah sure and i play the mod and i play alot of other games while i wait more content.

All i am hearing from you is a lack of knoledge of what an alpha is but hey you dont like the game go play something else check back in at  the end of the year see if it is more interesting to you.

Brains and common sense they really seem to be the rarest loot in Dayz currently...

I read all the Alpha warnings. I've also researched things, but as you read, I asked QUESTIONS. 

I understand lots of things will be implemented, and I also added things that are not on the 'to be added' list.

Actually, everything you listed in your OP being worked on except maybe boats.

Will it ever be lots more zombies? Will it ever be more than 40 players per server or is that what they wanted?

They are currently developing to allow more players. The zombie situation changes from release to release. I think they're primarily testing things out. For Example, the previous release to .44 had a LOT more zombies and they respawned within the town as soon as you killed them BUT it was simple to kill them. The current .44 release there are a lot less zombies but it's much harder to kill with melee weapons. Focusing on the head will kill them faster though.

Read the DayZ tumbler to keep up to date on what they're developing. http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

If you're on a server with nobody else on, yes. Find a server with lots of people, go to Berenzino or NE corner, have fun dying! Current spawn spots are all in the NE corner it seems, this changes from release to release too.

Do you usually end up spending 1-3 hours just holding W before you see or do anything relevant? 

I know vehicles will be a big change, but also having more than 40 people will as well. 

i think OP is a liar and played far more than 6hrs .. i dont believe that on your first day you can make it from coast to NWAF ...while i agree with the opinion expressed i think the OP might be being untruthful about how they came to that conclusion ...just saying

i think OP is a liar and played far more than 6hrs .. i dont believe that on your first day you can make it from coast to NWAF ...while i agree with the opinion expressed i think the OP might be being untruthful about how they came to that conclusion ...just saying

Not necessarily, it all just depends.  I mean, the trip from Cherno to NWAF only takes 30-45 minutes straight shot, probably about an hour from the usual spawn points.  OP had seen some gameplay and maybe found a map so he had an idea of where to go (I mean, it's in the name) 6 hours is certainly reasonable to figure it out and get there.  It could have even been a coincidence.

I know when I started playing the mod just simply wandering around after my first 2 embarrassing deaths I ended up at Stary Sobor by accident, and then NWAF after that.

• Like 1

I managed to run from the shore all the way to the NW base, I didn't see a single person, I seen maybe 3 zombies.

I got myself enough canned food and ammo and guns and water along the way to probably last me a week or more.

I wandered around for another 4 hours town to town just in hopes to find someone, then wondered what I would do, be friends and wander around together for another couple hours?

Or do I shoot him and wander around alone for another 4 hours before I see someone else. 

I don't know what I was expecting, but I cannot understand how this is even remotely fun? I just held W for 6 hours to literally do nothing but pick up some canned food and a gun? 

I'm sure some fun times can happen if a couple of people end up in a town, but is that excitement only to come once every couple hours? 

If zombies are horrible and of no threat, and you hardly ever see people then, wouldn't it be logical to either increase players or zombies per server?

I can see it being better when zombies aren't retarded, also when vehicles are around so you dont have to run for 1 hour and could have more warfare.

Vehicles(coming soon): Boats, Helicopter, Biplane, Atv, SUV, Trucks, gocart, golfcart, motorbikes.

WAY WAY WAY more zombies that are more responsive, almost to the point where you make one wrong move you'll be surrounded, or where there is actually an advantage of sticking together with people you meet so you can defend yourself against big hordes of zombies.

AT LEAST 60-120 players per server so you might actually see someone every now and again, and make zombies scale with how many players. 

Confirmed features: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

2014-15 DayZ Roadmap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es42HrtPB3I

Will it ever be lots more zombies?

Yes. Next patches are heavily pointed toward server performance, which means, among many things, more zombies.

Will it ever be more than 40 players per server or is that what they wanted?

There already was 100 slot servers in testing in the last experimental. Might still be up on stable, no sure tho.

Depends. I've spent hours not seeing anyone but those hours weren't on full servers.

Yes. More or less. More 1 hour, not so much 3 or more.

edit: Whoops, wrote it all in the quote :D

Edited by JJ_

Well I'd say go into a higher pop server. Gotta realize most people know the map/locations. They know where the better gear is and thus flock there. You made it to the NW AF? I assure you walk back there on a server that has 20+ people in it ( you should definitely be able to find one with a low ping) you'll run across, and probably get shot, more times than not by players. I, personally, don't really want the confrontation or constant pvp so I stick to either outskirt cities on the high pop servers or just low pop servers. This game, well this development, is what you make of it. There's no "missions" no "objectives" no "quests" no "instances". You do what you want anddd well until they develop it more and more and implement the content in the various mods you're kind limited to just what you can do BUT if nothing else you can familiarize yourself with the map and with the current weapons available.