Sign in to follow this  
qww

broken tank or apc at an army base

Im not sure if i would want to see fully working battle tanks moving around, if it's what the devs wanted to do, wouldn't mind that, but in a vote of tank or no tank, id vote no, that's just my thoughts anyway.

What i would be happy to see, is this idea. I posted a more basic version of this in the tank thread, a few days back.

Apart from  an improvised armored car, what I would imagine more realistic in game than tanks moving on map, would be a stationary tank, too damaged to move, at an army or air base, that could be loaded with shells, that were of course super rare,  turret would not have a 360 view due to its static position, partial tree cover or a wall or whatever, so tank wouldn't even be effective without squad members outside the tank covering views out of the base.   Tank would be 2 man, (1 gunner 1 loader, no driver obviously). maybe with a hmg ? or just shells,

Im not sure.

It would make the army base defensible  in a new way and with a squad could be really cool dynamic. Im not sure how you would kill the people in the tank though, if it was an asset that was meant to remain on the map. Maybe it could be destroyed, killing the players inside, and would then be in a broken  and unusable state, until it was repaired?

anyone agree? or disagree? please constructive only.

I never understood how in a zombie apocalypse, all the tanks get damaged and destroyed.How the F**K did zombies do that?

Cool idea but it would be immensely difficult to defeat the tanks, short of dropping a Grenade down the hatch or introducing anti armour weapons.

I think a more plausible and simple to implement idea would be to place a few artillery pieces around the bases, they would still be functional, easy to crew, crews could be killed by attackers with the weapons already in the game, and it couls fire HE or Splintex rounds.

If a group was good enough they could call artillery in on distant areas using spotters and binoculars and a map and compass.

would be awesome after base building is implemented, good way to remove an entrenched clan!

I never understood how in a zombie apocalypse, all the tanks get damaged and destroyed.How the F**K did zombies do that?

Cool idea but it would be immensely difficult to defeat the tanks, short of dropping a Grenade down the hatch or introducing anti armour weapons.

I think a more plausible and simple to implement idea would be to place a few artillery pieces around the bases, they would still be functional, easy to crew, crews could be killed by attackers with the weapons already in the game, and it couls fire HE or Splintex rounds.

If a group was good enough they could call artillery in on distant areas using spotters and binoculars and a map and compass.

would be awesome after base building is implemented, good way to remove an entrenched clan!

Reminds me of a time in Anzu's War Games on ArmA2.

"We need an artillery strike on **,**, hill ** (can't remember cords)

*artillery fires*

*shells land on US*

Stupid ass gunners.

the tank could be so damaged that the crew were exposed partly. it would be a tank that was properly wrecked up, but somehow still with at least a partly functional turret . maybe the turret wouldnt even be able to turn full 360, calibration could be off, im not sure.

the tank obviously would not have been damaged by zombies, but i dont know what would have damaged it,without making something up,

it would require 2 people in tank , aswell as others to realistically defend the base, to encourage and reward squad play.

i thought of this idea because it would be difficult, more like a late game feature. i wanted it to be something that you cant do alone, and would actually keep people defending a high value area as a group. i wouldn't want it where a squad could afford to fire a shell or 50 call rounds a lot, they would be so rare that you might just have one, or say 20 rounds of 50cal, would be super rare too, 

the tank could cover maybe the most open and easy route to a base, a route that a vehicle would have to take to approach.

i think it could be simple to add to the game, artillery feels more over the top to me, while it is interesting idea too, because it would also  encourage team play.

i think this wrecked tank idea fits with the dayz feel, in fact even just 1 or 2 HMG nests at a couple of bases, with the super rare rounds, wouldnt be bad to add, as even they require spotters past a certain distance .

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO.WONDERED THAT! XD

And I love the artillery suggestion, 2 clans fighting near Devils Castle, and a couple of guys run to NEAF and open.up.on the cannons

Or 2 clans fighting, and a small task from each one races to the artillery to turn the tide, only to have to fight for it

Goes from the arma 2 campaign.

I never understood how in a zombie apocalypse the army can be defeated... Tanks, planes, helicopters, ships... and of course soldiers equipped with full auto rifles... Even in great number running towards machine guns never been a great tactic... First World War prove it and that's why they invented camo...

lol

Tanks and fighter jets wouldn't get destroyed in a zombie apocalypse, but they would fall into disrepair. Lots of people want to drive a tank in the game but how many of us are tank mechanics who could fix up a tank that had broken down or even been stripped for parts, and get it moving again?

Likewise the army wouldn't get defeated, but with no government to pay, feed or supply them, and soldiers randomly turning into zombies and eating people in their beds, discipline would collapse. Individuals, groups, even whole units would desert for a better chance of survival.

The destroyed military hardware lying around the map could easily be explained by the pre-apocalypse insurgency and peacekeeping operation in Chernarus, a conflict that broke out or got aggravated by the fact of zombies being everywhere, and/or the breakdown of society as desperate survivors rob and kill each other.

In any case, tanks and heavy weapons would be terrible for gameplay (and they were terrible on some servers in the mod). The backstory excuse is less important than how unfair and stupid it would be for people to be driving tanks up and down the coastal road, blowing up fresh spawns with HE rounds.

Edited by fuke

2am Local standard time: Outbreak of unknown uncontrollable virus confirmed and spreading like wildfire.

2.15am: Local military begin mobilisation to northern and western borders to set up a inner quarantine parameter. An outer parameter control line will be setup by neighbouring armies. Anyone attempting to leave this area will be shot on sight including any and all military personal.

4.15: Inner parameter locked down and no exit of the area allowed until further analysis has been completed. Anyone coming within 100 metres of border will be shot on sight as well. (This is where the map of Chernarus ends)

Tanks and fighter jets wouldn't get destroyed in a zombie apocalypse, but they would fall into disrepair. Lots of people want to drive a tank in the game but how many of us are tank mechanics who could fix up a tank that had broken down or even been stripped for parts, and get it moving again?

Likewise the army wouldn't get defeated, but with no government to pay, feed or supply them, and soldiers randomly turning into zombies and eating people in their beds, discipline would collapse. Individuals, groups, even whole units would desert for a better chance of survival.

The destroyed military hardware lying around the map could easily be explained by the pre-apocalypse insurgency and peacekeeping operation in Chernarus, a conflict that broke out or got aggravated by the fact of zombies being everywhere, and/or the breakdown of society as desperate survivors rob and kill each other.

In any case, tanks and heavy weapons would be terrible for gameplay (and they were terrible on some servers in the mod). The backstory excuse is less important than how unfair and stupid it would be for people to be driving tanks up and down the coastal road, blowing up fresh spawns with HE rounds.

yeah cool man,  although the topic was about a broken tank that was not able to be driven

I like this, they could do it akin to the A2 heli wreck that you can still use one door gun of. have the top hatch blown off so commander (guy on top gun) cant turn in. Could have it so he can duck, but then cant fire the MG if he is. Maybe a big tear in the armour exposing the main gunner seat to small arms fire. Could have it so the tank cant move and the barrel has to manually pushed around by someone outside the tank :) 

I like this, they could do it akin to the A2 heli wreck that you can still use one door gun of. have the top hatch blown off so commander (guy on top gun) cant turn in. Could have it so he can duck, but then cant fire the MG if he is. Maybe a big tear in the armour exposing the main gunner seat to small arms fire. Could have it so the tank cant move and the barrel has to manually pushed around by someone outside the tank :)

manually pushing the barrel might be a bit too extreme, but i agree with what else you said

• Like 1

So they re do the weapon holding animations to resemble that of an untrained non military civilian in the SA, now, if your character doesn't know how to use a firearm properly, how is he going to crew and operate a tank

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/08/syrian_rebels_hijack_a_government_tank_are_tanks_hard_to_drive_.html

just searched that 1st thing that came up was this link, probably better info out there

So they re do the weapon holding animations to resemble that of an untrained non military civilian in the SA, now, if your character doesn't know how to use a firearm properly, how is he going to crew and operate a tank

im not against simulator level difficulty for vehicles if manuals are included as items in game, but i dont expect to see such a level of complexity for any vehicle that will be in game,

Edited by qww

Take your quews from the Ukrainian situation... APCs, even helis, but not so many tanks/airplanes. This is because in any unorganized confrontation things get "close and personal" instead of tactical/strategic, (truth be told, whoever holds a strategic mentality in such a mayhem, usualy wins).