GenocidalGeneral

A Cool Story of Morality (Ep. 2)

So as I said in my last post I run with a group called the Chernarus Defense Force (CDF). Were a group of about 30 guys who have a strict moral code to protect survivors and punish Bandits. We run usually with 5 to 15 people at a time and usually take control of the NE airfield and set up a safe haven for people to come. We offer medical treatment, supplies, food and water and also provide a bounty hunter service to hunt and bring bandits to justice. We can easily be identified

By our blue press vests and blue UN helmets and berets depending on rank.

After the event of my last story a few days passed and our doctor had completely exhausted most of our medical supplies. We had maybe a few morphines and Epi Pens. Also we only had a handful of blood bags and saline. In the full server we were on, we had around 15 men in there. I took a group of 5

Men including a sniper for a gear run on Berizino. We were aware of the constant fighting in the city and were prepared to defend ourselves. After a quick search of small buildings and houses we found some medical supplies, but we still needed some charcoal tablets and bloodbags. We decided to go hit up the hospital in the town over. As we began to run out of the city we noticed a group of about 5 to 6 people running down the road towards us. As the leader of a group who swore to the protection of survivors, I had a moral decision to make. Do I confront the group outnumbered and try to talk to them, or do I put my men's safety first and waste the group. If the group had there weapons on their backs I would of chosen the peaceful way, but they were armed and ready for a fight. I had two of my men with bipod M4's lay downs in front of them ready to open fire. Also I had my

Sniper in the hills and me and another squad member would hide in bushes along the road. The group was closing in now, about 250m away. I waited until the group was

Close enough to be mowed down by my machine gunners on the road. The group was closing in on the city so I ordered my sniper to kill the lead man. I guessed he was their leader or navigator and without him would surely fall into disarray. I watched as the lead man fell as I heard the crack of a mosin rifle. When I saw the lead man drop I ordered the men on the road to unleash hell and don't stop

Until I say so. After a good minute of constant fire being poured on the group I ordered my men to ceasefire. I saw slight movement amongst the bodies lying in the road. So me

And the other guy hiding in the bushes ran on the road to check the bodies. Out of the 6 men, 3 were dead, 2 unconscious and badly injured and the last guy was on the ground crawling with a broken leg. Another moral decision came to me, what should I do about the remaining men? I looked into the city and saw survivors we had met who were friendly along with fresh spawns. These men could hurt those survivors if patched these men up with our already low medical supplies. I made the tough decision to have to put the survivors of the ambush down. The decision hurt to make, I didnt know these people they could be the most nicest men. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong behavior at the moment. I have a rule that whenever I make a decision like this I will do the deed. I wanted to save My men's humanity, so I raised my revolver and shot the man crawling around in the head. It was hard, he was calling for help from us to fix him and his friends. The bullet pass right through the head and ended him quickly. I then shot the unconscious men on the ground in the head also. Then I hid the bodies because I can't have a surplus of weapons lying in a already dangerous area.

The moral of this story is that a group like ours that is a complete hero group who protects people, still has to make tough decisions. Everybody will make a decision that costs the lives of someone else. So next time before you complain you were killed on sight in a dangerous area think from the other persons point of view. Also this wasn't a great decision But at the time it seemed to be the safest for everybody around and my

Group. Any feedback

Is welcome

Edited by GenocidalGeneral
  • Like 1

Well I guess that makes me a "complete hero" too, cos I don't always shoot people, but sometimes I do.

Nobody else in DayZ does

The human relief work that we do. We offer help

And assistance to hundreds of survivors daily.

anyone got tl;dr version?

tl;dr I call myself a hero but I shoot people sometimes.

Nobody else in DayZ does

Yeah like you said, see it from the other person's perspective. You're just a scumbag KoSer to someone you shot.

tl;dr

"We ambushed 6 guys with a group of 5 and killed them all, even the remaining unconscious guys, but we are heroes (and I like to be a squadleader and some RP)"

They mustve been blind to not see your shining UN helmets. I wonder how you guys can sustain the Pressvest Theme. Isn't it kind of the rarest item currently ingame? Then again ....if you ambush like this, you probably don't need replacement vests :D

Glad you taught them a lesson. You don't run brainAFK through Berenzino.

Edited by Khanarac

Nobody else in DayZ does

I'm calling you on this one. I just don't see how that is possible. Maybe you help 100 people in a month, but not hundreds daily, unless your KOS actions 'help' everyone else that plays???

I call bullshit.  It doesn't matter how many people you 'help', that doesn't justify premeditated murder.  You just wanted to shoot someone. And then you didn't feel like cleaning up your mess.  There's no moral issue here.  If you had the option to hide and wait to ambush them, you could have let them pass.  Who are you to decide who's friendly and who's not? 

• Like 1

How do you know that the group you killed weren't another group of "heroes"? You may have killed a group of people with the same "morals" as yourself.

Also, if you're all about morality, & given that you had the jump on them from multiple angles, why did you not even atleast attempt to engage them verbally & simply disarm them?

I call bullshit.  It doesn't matter how many people you 'help', that doesn't justify premeditated murder.  You just wanted to shoot someone. And then you didn't feel like cleaning up your mess.  There's no moral issue here.  If you had the option to hide and wait to ambush them, you could have let them pass.  Who are you to decide who's friendly and who's not?

nobody got the point if this story. Yes we did KOS I'm not denying that. This story is a example on how everybody has to make choices that affect another person. In a survival situation you have to do what you think is best for you. I made a judgement off previous knowledge. I could of let them pass, but with a undermanned airfield that is mostly visited by players I felt stopping the fully armed group would be in best interest of the group.

How do you know that the group you killed weren't another group of "heroes"? You may have killed a group of people with the same "morals" as yourself.

Also, if you're all about morality, & given that you had the jump on them from multiple angles, why did you not even atleast attempt to engage them verbally & simply disarm them?

I said I didn't think it was smart to engage verbally a fully armed group with their weapons drawn when they had a man advantage. I didn't want to kill them, but the circumstance left me

No

Choice.

I'm calling you on this one. I just don't see how that is possible. Maybe you help 100 people in a month, but not hundreds daily, unless your KOS actions 'help' everyone else that plays???

we have a group that plays all day in one of the most visited places in the game. We meet

Dozens of people in a matter of hours on full servers.

nobody got the point if this story.

Everyone got the point of the story - it just wasn't the one you were trying to sell.  

Now I have one more reason to pop one into those poncy blue hats: "I'm saving people from KoS'sers, you see?".

Everyone got the point of the story - it just wasn't the one you were trying to sell.  

Now I have one more reason to pop one into those poncy blue hats: "I'm saving people from KoS'sers, you see?".

I'm sorry but what choice did I have please tell me what I could of done better.

Huh..

So you being in a leadership role didn't think about having your guys ready to ambush, and you going out to talk to this group? (Or even observe them for a long while) Your team could have covered you easily. But nope you chose the easy way out. Bad "Hero" leadership IMO. Mow them down. And then "feel bad" about executing the survivors. Bullshit You are NO hero. There's lots of ways your story could have been handled.

All you have taught your men is to KOS at any perceived threat. How about you put yourself (being a leader) in harms way and I dunno maybe try to find out their intentions. Oh maybe its just to scary and easier to KoS.

You had plenty of choices...you chose the easy way out.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but what choice did I have please tell me what I could of done better.

Do what you want, mate.  Just don't sprinkle it with fairy dust and rainbows and pretend you're "the good guys".

Edited by alphadogmeat
  • Like 2

I have the same problem with you claiming yourself to be a "hero" as I do with you telling me in the title of this thread that the story you wrote is "cool". It's subjective and situational. But I think you've already demonstrated that. QED?

By the way, I don't mean it just about you specifically, just anyone who goes round proclaiming themselves to be.

If I were in a situation where I saw your guys first, and I had my gun out, I might feel the need to shoot you first because you were probably planning on shooting me, despite your "hero" attire. Seems a bit moot. That said, it sounds like you're trying to do good, for the most part. Maybe that's the most anyone can hope for? I just hope you don't consider yourself "better" than anyone else who plays, just because you choose to help others.

Do what you want, mate. Just don't sprinkle it with fairy dust and rainbows and pretend you're "the good guys".

^^ Couldn't have said it better.

I have the same problem with you claiming yourself to be a "hero" as I do with you telling me in the title of this thread that the story you wrote is "cool". It's subjective and situational. But I think you've already demonstrated that. QED?

By the way, I don't mean it just about you specifically, just anyone who goes round proclaiming themselves to be.

If I were in a situation where I saw your guys first, and I had my gun out, I might feel the need to shoot you first because you were probably planning on shooting me, despite your "hero" attire. Seems a bit moot. That said, it sounds like you're trying to do good, for the most part. Maybe that's the most anyone can hope for? I just hope you don't consider yourself "better" than anyone else who plays, just because you choose to help others.

that's not what I was

Saying we like playing the good, but his instance I had to question my own morals to make a

Decision. Yes it may have gone better I could of done something better, but in the moment I didn't have time to think. I either acted or waited. We needed supplies fast and didn't have time to deal with a standoff or even a shoot out. I believed more

People would be hurt by letting them

Go or trying to confront them. But nether the less thanks for the input I wish more people had respect like you.

that's not what I was

Saying we like playing the good, but his instance I had to question my own morals to make a

Decision. Yes it may have gone better I could of done something better, but in the moment I didn't have time to think. I either acted or waited. We needed supplies fast and didn't have time to deal with a standoff or even a shoot out. I believed more

People would be hurt by letting them

Go or trying to confront them. But nether the less thanks for the input I wish more people had respect like you.

I think with a lot of posts, people can come off sounding like cold assholes, myself included, but I never mean any disrespect to the person, just the opinion or attitude that was stated, and I think that's probably true for most people here. A lot of times, someone comes out making a statement that is easily picked apart when it's analysed from hindsight and limited information.

If anything, I suppose it's good that the game shows that sometimes you're forced to make decisions you'd otherwise regret, even with the best of intent. But just because they had their guns out (who could blame them?) doesn't mean they're always bad. I'm sure you know that, though. I'm more in the habit of scouting with my gun out than not most of the time. I've tried running round with it shouldered, but I get shot just as much as when I don't. I'd be really pissed off if I was with a group of friends and we all got wiped out just because of that, especially from someone who's telling us they're usually the good guy.

Shit happens though. It's fair play if someone sees you and shoots you, even if you're trying to provide a safe haven. It's not like you own the NEAF, after all. And anyone is entitled to revenge. If anything, you're doing them a favour by identifying yourself in that way. Swings and roundabouts?

Haha ..nice rationalization. Yup they forced your hand....its ok.

Hey it was your choice to do what you did. A leader always has time to think, becuase he plans for all unseen obstacles. Yours was to KOS.

I would have respected you more had you just said yup killed that group in cold blood cause well they were in our way. Saying oh they could have hurt others kinda pussifys your stance.

Just dont go polishing a turd and rolling it in glitter and expect half the community to not think something stinks.

Chernarus Defense Force....wow. My 3 buddies and I ran into 2 guys I believe were in your squad when the 100 man experimental servers were up. We stuck together for about an hour until a huge fire fight erupted at the military base where about 3 bandits were posted up on the hill over looking it. I lost one of my guys but we managed to take out all the bandits and looted their bodies for about 10 minutes. After we looted the server reset and for some reason we were unable to talk or type to each other. My friend and I decided to part ways with you guys due to this. "Jay" was the name of one of the UN guys that was with us, was this one of your guys? 

nobody got the point if this story. Yes we did KOS I'm not denying that. This story is a example on how everybody has to make choices that affect another person. In a survival situation you have to do what you think is best for you. I made a judgement off previous knowledge. I could of let them pass, but with a undermanned airfield that is mostly visited by players I felt stopping the fully armed group would be in best interest of the group.

If that's the case, then how is this a "Cool Story of Morality"?  What to you makes it cool if you felt 'guilty' after shooting those injured kids? "Oh man, what a cool moral choice I'm making right now shooting these kids in the back of the head. Oh well, I didn't have enough meds anyway." I get that you're trying to convince us 'there was no other way,' but that's bullshit.  

If that's the case, then how is this a "Cool Story of Morality"?  What to you makes it cool if you felt 'guilty' after shooting those injured kids? "Oh man, what a cool moral choice I'm making right now shooting these kids in the back of the head. Oh well, I didn't have enough meds anyway." I get that you're trying to convince us 'there was no other way,' but that's bullshit.  

The cool part is just a episodic series im startingabout the lows and highs of our group trying a new method of playing.