Sign in to follow this  
ChiefMasterKush

Suggestion: Multiple Maps/*Lives*

I know plenty of people have suggested having a bigger map. This is fine by me and I will not get in the way of its inception.

When I first started playing DayZ I thought that Chernarus was a big enough map. Small enough to travel across the map but big enough to make that task a daunting one. Now I know that you can actually travel across map in about an hour, if you never stop to loot. But still have plenty of areas to explore.

This may make the map seem a small to a lot of people but I think it is a good size. You still want to have a chance to run into someone with only 50 - 100 people in a server.

My idea is for the possibility of multiple Maps/Worlds(lives). They would be entirely separate worlds(lives) with separate characters. This will open up more areas to explore while keeping the maps a size that is manageable for both the servers and end users.

People will say this will break immersion, but I don't think it will. You will just have 3 different characters for 3 different worlds (or however many maps/worlds(lives) there are). Servers could either be dedicated to one world(life)/map or rotate between them (as they need to restart at some point right?)

I thought of the idea because I play a mod of a mod of GTA: San Andreas, Crazybobs: Cops and Robbers (CnR). If anyone else has played this mod of a mod ( yes its double mod deep ), then you know how awesome this world is and I think DayZ is very similar to the CnR world. In CnR, People kill each other (bandits), people rob stores/house/banks (kos survivors/bandits, robbing banks is dirty work), people fish/do missions/scavenge outside of town (survivors), people sell weapons/food/medical supplies (Medic/Traders that are trying to get established), and there are Cops to arrest/ticket criminals for their crimes (Some sort of law and order system yet to be thought of/put into practice).

CnR as you might have guessed have a lot of the same problems DayZ has, mainly quitting to avoid death/rob. The main way they deal with this in CnR is to have admins on the servers as often as possible. I know this is much more difficult task with the amount of players now on DayZ but with the ability to log server information, it seems like you don't have to have dedicated server admins. Anyways thats my blurb about CnR the best/only way to play GTA.

Please let me know what you guys think about this idea. Anyone that has played CnR feel free to discuss similarities/differences between these two mods, I think they are not so distant cousins just one is a bit older than the other.

TL;DR - My idea is for the possibility of multiple Maps/Worlds(lives). They would be entirely separate Lives.

I agree.

Actually, I was planning on writing a detailed writeup about how a SMALLER map would fix a lot of the complaints people have about the game. If the map was designed to facilitate human interaction, rather than encouraging seclusion, there would be less complaints about how the infected are too easy/predictable*, trading posts/hospitals could be viable**, people would complain less about "bandits"***, and there might be something like an "end game"****.

*a single player spawns a set number of Z, so you could spawn them all on one side of town, and hit the loots spots on the other side without threat. Lots of people in one small area means lots of Z. We've all seen the "hordes" that can form organically in cherno/elektro. What if there were 20-30 players within Z spawn range of each other. Attracting Z's by being the first to shoot would have huge ramifications.

**a small outpost that is actually defensible, away from the one big clusterfuck city, like with a surrounding wall with only 1 or 2 entrances could be a place where people set up shop and have a chance at actually policing. Two or three of these could facilitate gang wars/raids. Routes between the outposts and the city would be more traveled, encouraging banditry.

***if the vast majority of loot spawns were centralized, we wouldnt have to run for hours for a CHANCE to find something we actually want (boring), limiting the rage you feel from "OMG ALL THAT TIME WASTED CUZ OF SOME ASSHOLE". Less focus on avoiding people to loot, more focus on fighting over it. Respawning wouldn't put you an hour away from your body so we wouldn't need to suicide spam. People that like to hang out away from the city (like those who control outposts) would be forced to go back to the city for food/water/med supplies.

****getting everything you want/need would not take days, maybe hours, so you wouldn't be so reluctant to take big risks like trying to form up with strangers and take over an outpost. Completing your kit feels so anti-climactic anyway (now that i have everything it's time to log off and never play again). As a bonus, you could actually meet up with your friends in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, only one place to refill jerry cans, imagine the fights to control that resource.

TLDR: Smaller map = more action, less seclusion, more pew pew, less qq. Either way, DayZ would benefit HUGELY from a map designed with the intention of facilitating/forcing interaction between players.

I guess there could be a smaller map but i don't think it should be much smaller, if anything it should be a bigger map :D.

Now that I think more about it I actually like the idea of having a separate life. One I can play with my friends and one I can play solo. Just two different "lives" A life and B life. :)

I think the game itself has to take shape and be ironed out before thought of new maps can be added.

Lets get Chernarus sorted out first.

I think the game itself has to take shape and be ironed out before thought of new maps can be added.

Lets get Chernarus sorted out first.

That's not what's happening though. New features are constantly being added as are bugs. Nothing says this isn't a feasible suggestion by Rocket's methodology. And in my opinion Chernarus is fine, the map was already there before DayZ, so why not add another that suits the mod better?

I know things are still being ironed out and they will be for a time to come. This is not something I would except to see any time soon, as much as I would like to. I think the map it self is fine and most of the bugs are not related to the map itself.

I am also fine with using the same map but having an 'A' life and a 'B' life. I like to play with my friends but we are not always on at the same time. I would like to go roaming around the map alone on a separate 'life'.

As I am typing this I just realized a possible flaw, that actually should be easy to handle. If you have a camp with loot you could get your 'B' life to that camp and get lots of good stuff. This should be easy to handle if you treat servers on 'B' like a completely separate server, which they would be already. If it were a different map entirely then the problem is already solved.

I think Chernarus is fine too, it has its place and definitely brings out the 'survival' aspects of the game. I just think that a second, more post apocolyptic type map would funnel the deathmatchers and take-over-the-world-ers away from the survivalists and make things more enjoyable for everyone.