Max Planck

n-sec 'logout-timer' + n-sec 'login-freeze'

My proposal for solving teleporting, server hopping and disconnecting in combat in one fell swoop:

When logging out, let the character stay on the server for a number of seconds. Maybe around 20? It would have to be tested and finetuned.

When logging in, let the character freeze, or do an animation, for a number of seconds, this number would also have to be finetuned after testing.

This, I firmly believe, would solve the above mentioned problems.

Any takers?

• Like 1

lol it's like no-one reads the read before you post thread anymore :D

Suggested umpteen times. Please search for existing threads before posting your idea. Thank you.

Please read OP before commenting.

I knew this would happen.

Note the second point: The bit about logging in to a server.

That is not part of the usual timeout suggestion.

Suggested umpteen times. Please search for existing threads before posting your idea. Thank you.

I knew this would happen.

Note the second point: The bit about logging in to a server.

That is not part of the usual timeout suggestion.

As stated it's been mentioned in the other threads even the log in

As stated it's been mentioned in the other threads even the log in

I have plowed through the first 10 (ten) pages of the suggestion forum, it is not there.

Link, or it didn't happen.

Does anybody else wanna chip in? I've been discussing this with people in the wrong places for a while now, thought it might be neat to do it in the actual suggestion forum.

suggests a timer lock for log in (not your suggestion i know but you could have added your idea here)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20863

Not in suggestions but has solutions similar to yours

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18575 (a lot of pages to go through though)

I'll admit that finding your solution in another thread may be difficult but there are many on this subject so instead of creating a new topic you should just join the discussion on one of the other threads it just stops multiple threads on the same topic is all

[EDIT] Heh see as i was writing this another one pops up

Your first link is a different suggestion, I'm not going to hijack someone elses thread with different ideas.

Your second link is to the new patch announcement, are you taking the piss?? That's for discussing the upcoming patch, I thought that was bleeding obvious.

Thanks for pissing all over my thread you little gimp. Now would you kindly go troll somewhere else?

EDIT:

"Heh see as i was writing this another one pops up"

What the buggery fuck does that have to do with my suggestion?

Not trolling you the second link is the update thread but as i said if you look through it you will find a long discussion about server hopping and similar suggestions to yours if your not going to read a bit than that's your problem f**ktard

Not trolling you the second link is the update thread but as i said if you look through it you will find a long discussion about server hopping and similar suggestions to yours if your not going to read a bit than that's your problem f**ktard

I have read the discussion and I took part in it, thanks. But as I tried to tell you, it is the wrong place for it. This place on the other hand, is known to the natives as 'The Suggestion Forum'. Fancy fucking that.

If you don't have anything to add, and can't link to another thread on the same suggestion, kindly fuck away off.

Does anyone have anything on topic to say?

I agree with the OP.

I think performing the generic 'doing something' animation could be used during this time, to simulate having to pack/unpack your sleeping bag/bedroll. During logout, the timer and animation could be cancelled by movement or firing, in case you need to defend yourself (like with the bandaging animation.) However, the login animation could NOT be cancelled, to help prevent server hopping. You don't like it, don't logout in town.

Also, as I suggested in the other thread started by rocket on this exploit, how do you feel about game servers automatically giving players a temporary ban when you disconnect, to prevent the server hopping / ghosting. Could even be up to an hour long (and the long time for this would also help to prevent ghosting to kill other players.)

dont agree with a login freeze due to the inevitability of getting killed by someone/something solely due to being frozen for no apparent reason

an extended logout period (20+ seconds) i do agree with

I don't think 'death by login freeze' would be inevitable, you just have to log out in a sensible place. Lying prone under a tree in the forest springs to mind. I go afk like that every time I have to go to the loo or similar, and I never died from it.

I don't think 'death by login freeze' would be inevitable' date=' you just have to log out in a sensible place. Lying prone under a tree in the forest springs to mind. I go afk like that every time I have to go to the loo or similar, and I never died from it.

[/quote']

Agreed. Don't log out in a building or out in the open.

As I've said before, logging out and back in inside buildings is risky enough as it is even in it's current state, and shouldn't be done for this reason.

I don't think 'death by login freeze' would be inevitable' date=' you just have to log out in a sensible place. Lying prone under a tree in the forest springs to mind. I go afk like that every time I have to go to the loo or similar, and I never died from it.

[/quote']

Agreed. Don't log out in a building or out in the open.

As I've said before, logging out and back in inside buildings is risky enough as it is even in it's current state, and shouldn't be done for this reason.

If the timer was only about 20 seconds or so, you could easily log out safely in a village house if you really wanted to. Basically everywhere but the hotspots would be okay. I don't know why some people refuse to set foot outside Elektro/Cherno/NWAF.

As well as a Disconnect timer where your body stays in game for a few seconds what i would like is a minimum time that has to be spent on a server before you can log into another server, even if it is 5 minutes.

Eg: A player logs out of server A and logs into server B. He has to stay logged into server B for 5 minutes before he is allowed to log out (unless he dies or is kicked off of course) and relog into server A again.

This would stop rampant server hopping, especially that done to gain advantage in a gunfight by spawning directly behind people.

As well as a Disconnect timer where your body stays in game for a few seconds what i would like is a minimum time that has to be spent on a server before you can log into another server' date=' even if it is 5 minutes.

Eg: A player logs out of server A and logs into server B. He has to stay logged into server B for 5 minutes before he is allowed to log out (unless he dies or is kicked off of course) and relog into server A again.

This would stop rampant server hopping, especially that done to gain advantage in a gunfight by spawning directly behind people.

[/quote']

I don't think anyone would risk spawning behind an enemy if they were to freeze for 20 seconds. They would get shot right in the beans. But you are right, a 5 min lockout would completely put a stop to it. I guess I'm just trying to keep the fix as simple as possible to make it easier to implement.

I like these ideas much more than the other threads I have read. Butthurt bandits saying to make it 3 min log out and you can't log on to another server for 7 min is just ridiculous. Nothing useful to add just like your ideas/ bumpin

I think your character should only be able to join one server at a time. When you disconnect you stay in the world for 60 seconds. If you server swap you just have to wait until your character is "free to play" and despawned from the other server.

But if you reconnect back to the same server you can just keep on playing as if nothing happened.

I like these ideas much more than the other threads I have read. Butthurt bandits saying to make it 3 min log out and you can't log on to another server for 7 min is just ridiculous. Nothing useful to add just like your ideas/ bumpin

Thanks Aero, you can't believe the amount of shit I normally have to eat when posting this suggestion around the place.

Some people suggest making it so you can't log on to the same server for a short while, I think that is a good idea too. But the main gripe people have with my suggestion seems to be that they can't log out *right now* and instead have to find a slightly safer place. But is 15 seconds really that long? Even in the middle of Cherno, it would be possible to log off fairly safely. Logging on is a different matter though, which is why I think it is a good idea. Under no circumstances should you have people spawning right behind you, ready to shoot.

Thanks Aero' date=' you can't believe the amount of shit I normally have to eat when posting this suggestion around the place.

Some people suggest making it so you can't log on to the same server for a short while, I think that is a good idea too. But the main gripe people have with my suggestion seems to be that they can't log out *right now* and instead have to find a slightly safer place. But is 15 seconds really that long? Even in the middle of Cherno, it would be possible to log off fairly safely. Logging on is a different matter though, which is why I think it is a good idea. Under no circumstances should you have people spawning right behind you, ready to shoot.

[/quote']

Yeah, most don't seem to care about anyone but themselves. They feel that they will either be inconvenienced by 15 seconds when quitting / logging in, or be too vulnerable because they were either willing to risk logging out in a populated area, their connection will always fail and get them killed, or because they see nothing wrong with PVP disconnects or server hopping in the first place. Or some other excuse that uses circular logic.

Thanks Aero' date=' you can't believe the amount of shit I normally have to eat when posting this suggestion around the place.

[/quote']

Yeah, most don't seem to care about anyone but themselves. They feel that they will either be inconvenienced by 15 seconds when quitting / logging in, or be too vulnerable because they were either willing to risk logging out in a populated area, their connection will always fail and get them killed, or because they see nothing wrong with PVP disconnects or server hopping in the first place. Or some other excuse that uses circular logic.

Yep, I don't think it will be possible to come up with a solution that is not inconvenient in some way. I wouldn't want to be in Rocket's shoes, no matter what solution he finds there will be massive moaning on the forums. Still, I hope something is done soon, I would much rather die because I have to go answer the door while in Cherno than because someone doesn't feel like playing by the rules. I don't pvp much, it's the loss of immersion that gets me.

I think your initial suggestion is the simplest to implement and would go a long way to solving a lot of these problems. I made the same suggestion myself and had loads of grief from people saying it's too risky to be unguarded for 15 - 20 seconds. Like it's hard to find a safe spot on a 225km map covered in forest.

I think your initial suggestion is the simplest to implement and would go a long way to solving a lot of these problems. I made the same suggestion myself and had loads of grief from people saying it's to risky to be unguarded for 15 - 20 seconds. Like it's hard to find a safe spot on a 225km map covered in forest.

Precisely. Right now I'm prone on the forest floor while happily typing away in here. Nothing is going to happen, there is a lot of forest. Just don't do it in Cherno and you are set.