eel

Whistle bind: A simple idea that might reduce needles PK'ing

couldnt you just throw a tin can at them? Or a smoke grenade?

I sometimes fire three shots when I see someone. They often run away or DC and when they dont I run or fire another three shots in a more aimed fashion

atleast I don't carry tin cans with me, and throwing a smoke, that would be wasting one getaway smoke imo.

Second: you missed the point, if the intention is to find a cooperating player you are definitely not going to shoot (at) them, and tossing stuff at them would also probably scare them away.

I once read something about US soldiers in vietnam who used small metallic devices to produce a "clic" sound so they could spot friendlies even in dense jungle. If anybody knows more about it...

2 clicks' date=' I heard 2 clicks.

[/quote']

It dates back from WW2, American paratroopers where equipped with clickers to identify friend or foe, 1 click had to be answered with 2 clicks.

In a scene in the movie "The longest day" there is an American paratrooper who got shot because he mistakenly thought he heard 2 clicks and came out of cover. The German who shot him was just cocking his weapon after he heard the first click.

So those devices are called clickers (french player here).

Thanks for the info!

Hostility between survivors because of aggressive banditry is high. It's incredibly hard to decipher between good and bad, and high-tensions create unnecessary shots.

Recently, I spent hours venturing north, I wanted to make it to the NE AF. However, after trials of pain, broken bones, attacks, zombie incursions, I was on edge.

I ran into a player at the Market south of the NE AF. I was so tense by then, the second I saw him I pointed my pistol straight at his head - I stated in direct comms, "friendly unit, I repeat friendly unit, please state your intentions." The player turned at me with his axe, ignored my comms, and turned around absently.

Then he continued looting. I kept my weapon pointed at him, asking a second time if he was friendly and what his intentions were. When he turned around, he had a pistol out. There we stood, pistols pointed. I should have fired the second he did that, but I hesitated. He continued not to respond, and I grew more and more nervous. After all, I didn't want to lose all my progress. I was contemplating leaving him but didn't want to be tracked and shot. So I fired, I put 3-4 rounds into his chest. Somehow, he didn't die. He fired 2 shots at me and missed, got up, and darted out of the market. I took to his shadow and chased him through the city. I caught up and shot him 2-3 more times after reloading. He dropped to the ground and unloaded his entire clip into me. I fell down, bones broke. I popped a final killing shot into his head before bleeding out and dying.

Could this all have been avoided with a whistle?

I like the idea of a clicker - sure beats typing for those of us without a mike. Much better than a salute which is only any good if you are in the other players sights, whereby he can simply shoot you.

So those devices are called clickers (french player here).

Thanks for the info!

They where actually toys in the form of Frogs :D

[attachment=1546]

it could be a warning that there is a bandit around' date=' rather then a sign of friendliness

if you warn other players then the bandit will have a unkown factor, being that there is other players around or not.

sorta like a rape whistle ;)

[/quote']

Was gonna say in before rape whistle but you beat me to it. Oh dear /o\ :D

couldnt you just throw a tin can at them?

From what I've heard you can break someones bones and cause bleeding if you land your shot properly. So throwing a tin can isn't really the best way of saying friendly.

It would be pretty hilarious to stone someone to death with tin cans though/

I like the idea of a whistle command. Allow all players to do it and see how people end up using it. Also instead of causing Zombies to aggro it could cause them to patrol in the direction the whistle was issued from.

I like this idea, the salute makes you defenseless, if you can whistle and still have your weapon out then you can fight back if they open fire. Plus the whistle needs to be heard from maybe 100m away or so.

I say just have more realistic sound propagation, based on the volume from your mic, and allow people to whistle if they wish. The habit will spread culturally, if it has value (perhaps you could make higher-pitched sounds travel further, especially through fog)

Very good idea, would be helpful to players that don't have microphones and are limited in what they do in terms of player to player interaction. I hope it does get implemented as it would certainly be a step towards me not shooting someone when they don't respond to my voice over direct chat.

I will kill everyone who uses such a feature because implementing it would waste dev time on the most redundant hotkey ever devised

even sticky keys looks useful next to this BUTTON THAT ALREADY EXISTS [HINT HINT]

shit, if OP is so certain that it's simpler to whistle and then type why don't we just remove voice chat all together? I mean all it does is expose players to bandits ffs

Whistling is an ok idea. It's definitely realistic - which i'm all for - but would attract zombies within the same audible radius as the survivor, which would be limited, so firing a gun is as good as whistling right now.. Having a key that auto-types "friendly" would be ideal (I'm sure this is possible to do myself but i'm not a computer scientificalist so...) I usually type "friendly" as soon as i spawn & whenever i hear or see another survivor. If i see a survivor & can get their name i type "friendly near [name]" which works well. And if you snipe a zombie or 3 near the survivor then they get the message every time.