Robert512

Teargas & Gasmasks

Please make this suggestion in another thread' date=' because I want to support it.

[/quote']

So here it goes :)

A thing I like to see in the game is, a Teargas grenade. It causes crying, sneezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, pain in the eyes, temporary blindness. Why teargas, its a common thing with in the police, riot-police and military. I know they are possible because the ACE mod has those.

Not all effects are possible in Arma, but shaking (caused by pain), temporary (partial or even complete) blindness and coughing (making noise) are. The effects will go away when you move away from the cloud and drinking and washing your eyes out with water from a cantine would also help to supress the effects quickly.

I know that this will be mainly used in PvP and not some much in PvE, zombies would probably think that this is just another jummy flavour of the smoke grenade.

The next thing would than be, gasmasks (also in ACE), to protect yourself from teargas. But the use of a mask will come at a penalty, hunger- and thirst-rate will now occur at 4 times of the normal rate. And have to be taken off if you want to eat or drink, it also limits your field of vision. So you will only use it when you are using teargas or find yourself in a situation where the use of teargas by others is likely.

I'd also think Sarin Gas would be a useful, deadly tool, but I'm not sure how that could be implemented, considering it was outlawed by the UN before this game takes place. (I did state in my Underground Military Complex thread the details of Sarin Gas, and how it could be used in the underground complexes to make the area more risky, but that's off-topic.)

In all honesty, I feel that tear-gas could also be useful to force zombies to walk through an environment they would otherwise run in, as it would cloud all their senses. IE, zombies who walk through tear gas would be forced to walk for 5-10 seconds after they left the teargas cloud before they would be able to run again or hear/sense other players properly.

And yes, as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R and a Metro Ranger, I automatically support gas masks, too. Although I do assume that you would need replacement filters for the mask, and that if you got shot while wearing it, it could break and be made useless.

As a area denial weapon teargas should do i guess, Sarin or VX woud just be another deadly weapon in the arsenal, and a permanent effect would mean that it is just another version of barbed wire or tanktrap, so I would rather see that the effect fades away after a while.

At the moment the zombies are attracted to smoke-grenades (wich is a fun thing to see them all standing and staring at that hissing grenade), for them a teargas grenade would be just another smoke grenade, however blinding their senses for a moment or 2 would be a good idea.

I like the ideas here but disagree with the OP's penalty's for wearing a mask

i mean you don't get penalty's for having higher tier equipment so why start now

Huh. I didn't notice those penalties when I first read the OP. Maybe my GP-7 mask is blinding me :D

I'm not for the penalties, but I agree that wearing the mask should prevent eating or drinking, unless they implement the masks with canteen straws. And yes, they DO exist! My GP-7 mask could have had one for an extra $10, but I was short :(

I would love to see gasmasks in DayZ, teargas would also be useful in PvP and against zeds. +1

Some types of gas do tend to stick around, especially blistering agents like mustardgas. But it also depends on weather, type of terrain and sometimes even time of day. And gasses are also spread as a fine mist of droplets, evaporation of those droplets takes longer than just the agent in gasform to disperse.

Nerve gasses can not only be inhaled, but droplets of it will enter the bloodstream via the skin, it takes only bit longer to kill you unless you or one of your buddies is able to inject you with a Atropine-injector (just like the Morphine and Epi-pens in DayZ). For full protection you would need a NBC suit (hot, cumbersome, exhausting), with teargas its enough to have a gasmask.

Huh. I didn't notice those penalties when I first read the OP. Maybe my GP-7 mask is blinding me :D

:D LOL

I definitely like the idea and the only adverse effect of wearing a gas-mask should be limited vision and being unable to eat but maybe drink like Dreganius said. +1

I dunno about you guys but I also hope to see at least two different types of masks, even if its only a GP-5 and a GP-7 or something like that. Know what I mean?

In all honesty' date=' I feel that tear-gas could also be useful to force zombies to walk through an environment they would otherwise run in, as it would cloud all their senses. IE, zombies who walk through tear gas would be forced to walk for 5-10 seconds after they left the teargas cloud before they would be able to run again or hear/sense other players properly. [/quote'] I like this. Gives it a use for both pvp and pve.

And yes, as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R and a Metro Ranger, I automatically support gas masks, too.
Quoted For Truth. :D
Although I do assume that you would need replacement filters for the mask, and that if you got shot while wearing it, it could break and be made useless.

I like the whole replacing filters, and vision obscuring thing. Thirst/hunger? Not so much.

I don't see the purpose of the glass breaking. Unless you go for a headshot, it wouldn't have an effect realistically, and it would only make it a one use item in that case, since it would be no help to the killer except for as a vanity item.

In any case, +1. :)

If someone gets shot in the head while wearing the gasmask, it should be unlootable, I mean it's not going to work again now, is it? That's the point I was trying to make, not "shot anywhere and it breaks". I should have clarified that.

Also, I don't get how you can eat or drink through a gasmask unless it's a specific model that allows you to drink through an attached canteen, so I'm not quite following why you don't like that idea :P

If someone gets shot in the head while wearing the gasmask' date=' it should be unlootable, I mean it's not going to work again now, is it? That's the point I was trying to make, not "shot anywhere and it breaks". I should have clarified that.

Also, I don't get how you can eat or drink through a gasmask unless it's a specific model that allows you to drink through an attached canteen, so I'm not quite following why you don't like that idea :P

[/quote']

No, I was fully aware of the whole "shoot the gas mask and it breaks" thing. I don't see much point to it though.

It would make sense, being forced to take off the mask to drink/eat, but I'm not feeling the whole "That would be great to have" type vibe. :-/

This is a fantastic idea, I love gas masks!

No, not in that way, quit looking at me like that!

I'd also think Sarin Gas would be a useful' date=' deadly tool, but I'm not sure how that could be implemented, considering it was outlawed by the UN before this game takes place. (I did state in my Underground Military Complex thread the details of Sarin Gas, and how it could be used in the underground complexes to make the area more risky, but that's off-topic.)

In all honesty, I feel that tear-gas could also be useful to force zombies to walk through an environment they would otherwise run in, as it would cloud all their senses. IE, zombies who walk through tear gas would be forced to walk for 5-10 seconds after they left the teargas cloud before they would be able to run again or hear/sense other players properly.

And yes, as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R and a Metro Ranger, I automatically support gas masks, too. Although I do assume that you would need replacement filters for the mask, and that if you got shot while wearing it, it could break and be made useless.

[/quote']

Secret Soviet Military complex?

Great idea. See a dude hiding in firestation? Throw some teargas at him and see him rush out to be shot.. or most likely alt-f4. If only would be possible to fix the horrible & inaccurate throwing that has haunted the series since ofp.

Maybe I am a bit old-fashioned when it comes to gasmasks, the last I used one was on a reservist training, some 17 years ago. I don't think I would meet Nato-standards these days, within 9 seconds putting your gasmask on. For that matter the last time I fired live rounds was 4 years ago, in South Korea of all places.

Anyway, I think there should be some balancing in the use of gasmasks and teargas, the suggestion that you should only use a mask for a limited amount of time comes from my own experience, that they are uncomfortable over a longer period of time. I don't mind seeing some of that realism in this game & mod.

Just imagine how usefull this would be. Throwing a teargas grenade at a tower and then climb the ladder on the other side. I think one gasmask is enough,should be probably just another item in the map/compass slots. Making you find these gasmasks with an 0.8% chance as general military loot would be enough too.

Would be also pretty nice when you could fire also teargasgrenades with the M16 A2 (with grenade launcher)

Here's a quick filter I whipped up in Maya. 15 minutes, no textures, only flat colours.

QEQvv.jpg

Edit: Will work on a GP-6 and a GP-7 later today, maybe.

Sounds like a cool idea. Maybe a chance to drop your weapon? Small chance...To simulate someone panicking and covering your mouth with both hands to try and not breath it in, or coughing intensely you accidentally drop it.