wulfenrider@msn.com

Who you are in real life, impacts on how you play DayZ.

The Question.

Does your real life impact on the way you play the simulation of DayZ?

My Answer.

Real Life.

Occupation History.

16...................... Years British Army, Royal Engineer.

2....................... Years Private Military Contractor.

2( present )......... Yrs Defence Contractor.

Impact in game.

1) I do not by instinct shoot on sight on an unknown target.

2) I will return fire or shoot first if I witness an act of banditry or observe a known bandit.

3) I will help other players ( sometimes just leaving items on the spawn beaches ) with out reward needed.

4) It goes against my ethos to work solo.

5) I find it massively frustrating for the in game lack of communication....the single most important aspect in any environment is communication of intent.

6) I find no pleasure in player killing, but do in creating,constructing, helping.

Just post what you believe applies to you...It might be an interesting result.

Real Life.

Occupation History.

3 Years, British Army, Royal Signals. (T.A)

8 Years, I.T Support

Impact in game.

1) I do not by instinct shoot on sight on an unknown target, without a weapon.

2) I will return fire or shoot first if I witness an act of banditry or observe a known bandit.

3) I will help other players if i think the risk is worth it.

4) It goes against my ethos to work solo.

5) I find it massively frustrating for the in game lack of communication....the single most important aspect in any environment is communication of intent.

6) I find no pleasure in player killing, but do in creating,constructing, helping.

Almost the same as you.

Thats a very good question man.. interesting. Id say it does matter who you are in real life. Those so called bandits who kill for "fun" do have some mental issues - or are very young, but they wouldnt believe me anyways - haha!

I have a BA in communication science, soon it will be a MA.

Im an audio technician for many years.

I served 8 months in the army of my country.

1) I shoot when a weapon is pointed at me or when I cant avoid people.

2) I dont play in a team and I dont trust anyone since I personally believe humans are scum.

3) If someone is obviously suprised to see me and runs away I wont follow or kill them.

4) If someone talks I wont betray.. but I wont help I will leave.

5) Sniping others in an airfield goes against my personality. I dont have any fun ruining the fun of an unknown person.

firefighter paramedic...

I shoot on site because I have learned not to trust anyone. I do not play medic either...unless it's my friend. So no, I would hope I do not play in relation to my job lol...I can understand you though..having your military experience.

I am trying not to shoot on site...let 2 guys go the other day and everything worked out..so we will see.

Sorry mate, but wrong.

The internet allows people to remain anonymous and as a result of that, they feel they can do and act however they want. Same thing in game.

You'll get alot of kids playing and compensating people who will KoS because of it, or just for the 'lulz'.

After a month of playing, in which I did not KoS, attempted to give people a chance. I just KoS now because it saves time on gear collecting, and ultimately when you get almost everything you get bored and there is nothing left to do.

@badclown, I don't think it has anything to do with age or mental...As every day I risk my life to save yours and I would like to say I am morally sane in that sense...Some people just like to play games differently.

I see alot of occupations that are quite specific to the nature of combat and or helping people.

So let me provide some data from a desk job perspective.

Occupational History:

5 years, sales assistant in a department store

6 years, web development

Playstyle:

I prefer to play in a well organised team with voice communications. Although I enjoy the occasional solo op.

I tend to take charge of fireteams but only if no other leader has come forward.

I do not take pleasure in killing but do so out of nessesity to survive.

I do shoot first if the target is:

A: Not one of my group

B: Knows of my/our position

So this means if another survivor comes across my team on an op in (especialy dangerous territory like the south coast of the NWAF) and I know that they have spotted us I will respond with leathal force.

If I spot them and they have not seen us, I tend to let them go about their business (unless it conflicts with my goal, so if they are looting the barracks and I am here to loot the barracks I will engage)

Some may consider this baditry but I do not, I do not hunt players. I just kill them if they pose a risk to me and my squad.

Make of that what you will.

EDIT: Since direct communications have been reinstated I do try to establish contact with those who stumble across me. If I can negotiate a peaceful resolution (IE them lowering their weapons and walking away) then I will. However if they do not respond or come at me with weapons drawn I will take them down.

The Question.

No. and I don't think there's a certain kind of connection, in terms of real life occupation.

Basically, any intellectual will not shoot you in this game. Why? Because the pvp is absolutely horrible, and should not be the focus of the game, at least not until the interface is improved.

1. Killing someone because he needs 3 seconds to get out of gear menu does not feed my ego.

2. I feel no need to kill people when theres plenty of supplies everywhere.

3. Sniping a stationary target who has no chance to fire back at you (unarmed/axe/makarov vs 500m rifle) is not considered cool. It's lame.

4. You cant look behind or pull out your gun when on the ladder. Seriously, am I the only one who can use 1 arm and 1 leg to stay on the ladder while doing "acrobatics"?

5. There are games made with PVP in mind, such as COD, UT, BF and many many others. I can only assume bandits dont play those games since they suck. Its a lot harder to shoot somebody who isnt stuck in a menu or unarmed, isnt it? XD

I'm not against PVP, I in fact enjoy when a bandit tries to hunt me. But what I am against are the horribly slow character actions, compared to 1-hit kill weapons. In fact, I invite all bandits to be less pathetic, and start killing players without exploiting crap like getting stuck in doorways/inventory , killing with makarov through concrete wall etc.

Occupation History:

10 months Burger Artist

Impact in game:

1) I cook meat and give it to people

I'm not against PVP' date=' I in fact enjoy when a bandit tries to hunt me. But what I am against is the horribly slow character actions, compared to 1-hit kill weapons.

[/quote']

Well I tend to disagree here. Sure the menus are clunky and unintuative, this causes alot of actions to be slow.

However consider this. How long would it take you in real life to stop, open up your ruckstack, sort through a large collection of items to find what you are looking for?

Unless you are pretty organised I'd say that would take a while.

Now say you are in a hostile enviroment. Where whould you stop to do this? Out in an open field? Or somewhere hidden so you can sort through your gear safely?

The PVP isn't all about aiming and pulling the trigger. In this game it's also about tactical awareness and making descisions to maximise your chances of survival.

I played paintball/airsoft , know martial arts, and trust me, I move a lot faster then these "survivors" who are supposed to be the most skilled people alive XD

Lets say youre facing the door and going through your backpack, with both your hands, you see an enemy, how many seconds do you need to pull your gun out? For me its about 1-1.5 seconds. If you include the lag and desync crap, it takes a huge ammount of time to do that here.

I would very like much to use combat roll even if it means dropping everything I got excluding the gun I'm holding.

Occupation History:

3.5 years as a wall street investment banker

Impact in game:

First I will convince you to purchase my "can o bean" derivative instrument, whereby you give me all your cans of beans and bullets, and in return, I will give you empty cans as proof of your purchase.

Then I will tell you that unfortuneately, due to macro economic factors beyond my control, such as a zombie out break, your investment portfolio is now only worth 1 bullet, in which case I promptly return that 1 bullet to your face, loot your body as a method of payment for my consulting fees, and then complain to Rocket about the lack of beans in the game and how I'm a important pillar of the Dayz community and should be bailed out by taxpayer funded beans.

@viperus, really? you want to be that guy?

Normally I listen to opinions and give people a chance...but your outlook on this game, pvp, and bandit players is shit...and so is your attitude.

..oh and also my paintball playing, airsoft shooting, martial artist...(when I picture you...I see napoleon dynamite) this is a video game... Rocket is doing a great job with realism with what he has to work with.

Well excuse me for not running into any skilled bandits yet.

Snipers hiding on the roof who d/c when I heal up and come to slaughter them.

Close combat disconnectors - reconnectors.

Idiots who I can run into and let them shoot each other.

Idiots who start shoting the second I turn my back on them, but if I survive and turn around, run like a little chickens.

Pros who try to run me over with a car, only to get headshotted (unless I get a desync which causes me to get run over).

Night vision pros who I rape by taking cover and throwing flares/870 redfield + flash in a small room.

Only 2 out of about 30 people managed to actually sneak behind me and shoot me without me figuring out and killing them as well.

My name is Justice and I am a survivor.

I follow a kind of "Hunter's Creed". If I see new players unarmed with nothing of use to me, then I will allow them to live, however if you have a weapon capable of killing me or anyone of my team, you are going to be shot as there is no direct communicating with you from 600 meters out, sorry, your a dead man if you are caught in my sights to the north. Also, if you are that capably armed, you probably have something else I want in your gear...

As for who I am in real life? I am a help desk professional and enjoy helping people with their technical issues and providing what support I can.

Conclusion: Who you are in real life does not necessarily change the way you play the game. It is a game, one that establishes rules within a sandbox world. That one rule is survive. How you do it is up to you, that is the whole point of this game.

Unfortunately, there is no group function right now for randoms in the server, so if you are not in the voice server for that group that is hosting the server, and side chat is disabled, then you are on your own. Most snipers will not give you the chance to say, "Friendly!". Infact, most snipers you won't see or know are there until it is too late or unless they suck. So players have to adapt to the fact that they can and will be shot in most cases, without warning. They learn and put their heads on swivels and kill everything that comes in contact with them for fear of being shot themselves.

It's a doggy dog world out there in Chernarus and the ones quicker on the trigger are the one's who will survive...

P.S. As it stands, once you are equipped with weapons/ammo, food, and water it is easy to lose sight of what you are supposed to do in the game and killing players tends to be the only source of entertainment up to a point once you have everything you could want in the game. I think once choppers are implemented on more servers it might add a whole new element to the game and change it as we know it right now.

2 attempt posting about 20 minute to lose my post in a fucking weird forum bug....

no matter ....

i'll not do it again ,cause i took lot of time and i'm not english, it ask myself too much.

But for the guy who think people who kill for fun are "young" or got "mental issues" , man, you can be 60y old but with this kind of assumptions, you are a fucking retarded asshole.

I kill people on sight since i got BS 2times after helping 2 guys. Im an heavy PK since i discovered pvp games. My actual job and my last jobs was mostly all about helping people. And i will kill you in game, and i'm good at this. Yes, im an asshole with mental issues.....

I am just a student and that doesn't affect my IG playing.

Besides that I don't trust no one, just friends or friendly ppl.

~TS666

My career doesn't affect my gameplay at all, but my love of the wilderness and wildcamping does.

The Question.

Does this impact how I play the Mod? Yes! I try to help everyone and save everyone. Despite the number of deaths this has earned me, I keep playing this way. I play the game as myself. I'm just this crazy girl who thinks she can make a difference.

28 years of IT here - zzzzzz

Standard IT stuff for 10 years then Project Development, Dot Com and Company start-ups, Management Consultancy and now the most expensive PC support guy there is. As a consequence, in between the odd email or two, I have plenty of time to play games which was always my main aim in life if I'm honest.

Impact and relevance in game?

None whatsoever. I'm logic driven and as such what the OP states makes common sense for the most part...if I wanted this to be real life that is and be a part of a "new beginning". Sadly, there's little in the way of any in game infrastructure to allow me or anyone else to do this at this time. The engine, mechanics and 'feel' of Arma 2 are not suited to this mod in my opinion, but I'd hope Arma 3 will bring much more to the party on this front.

I too live in hope that "creating, constructing and helping" will become a reality in the not too distant future.

Communication will be the first step...

I'm studying network and computing systems at University IRL and I'm also designing band logos, web banners and the like as a "job" for some income. I'm a pretty relaxed and happy person. Who I am though does no affect how I play this mod.

I prefer to play with a group, it's more fun this way.

I kill on sight if I've been spoted or if me or my group mates are in danger.

I like to help people sometimes with meds and weapons.

I also kill people sometimes because I want their meds and weapons.

I NEVER kill just for fun, everytime I kill it's because I need to loot the body for stuff I/we need.

But I have no problem killing other players. The Internet anonymity gives you total freedom to do what you want. If everyone's playstyle reflected who they are in real life, the world would be 60% uneducated serial killers! :P