leviathanapsu

Proactive Players Creating New Layers

I want to first preface this with the fact that it is not a recruitment at this stage, but rather a discussion, hence why I am placing it in the general discussion forum. If it seems like there is a lot of positive feedback, it may eventually move into recruitment.

I have been pondering the issues of deathmatching in the game for a bit now and the standard comment seems to be “There is nothing else to do.” which is a valid complaint. The running comment that follows is that it is because of a lack of <insert whatever that player enjoys most here> in the game. Inability to move away from the coast readily isn't helping this either, but that won't change until vehicles show up.

One of the things I learned from text-based gaming and roleplaying is that you might do well with a good person at the helm and not need to put much thought in, but when you have someone who isn't offering much to work with, you need to be proactive. In this case, the game isn't fully developed, so is only giving us a few tools to work with. I personally can't join a roleplay server due to a lack of a mic (typing makes you move which gets me killed more often than not for acting 'hostile' as it forces sudden lunges forward) but that seems like avoidance of the issue anyway.

I suppose I should get to the point here. I am imagining a group or guild who work together to create playable situations for people. Maybe several sub-groups involved. I envision them perhaps taking up residence in a town on a server that doesn't frequently restart and handling matters like trade and mercenary aide. Something where everyone knows if you go to that town, there is a chance they will have been set up there and you can head to a certain house to get food, another has ammo, another supplies, etc. What you have to give to get them is based on the current supply and demand. Nothing is stopping you from trying to raid them, but at the same time there are heavily armed men and women about who are there to stop just that. Maybe one or two people who run supplies between the various houses as trades are made and others out gathering certain types of supplies. Mercs obviously just hang about and then accompany people to dangerous locations for a set price.

It would take a commitment on the part of those involved to spend boring periods of doing nothing but chatting with other members of the group, so I don't think anyone would be doing it all the time. Just maybe once a week everyone gets together and does a setup or maybe break it into a few times a week based on smaller subgroups. More or less committing yourself to improving the gameplay and creating an interesting situation for others so that there can be something to do other than deathmatch.

There could even be an occasional odd event like a scavenger hunt where everyone starts in one spot and has to run around finding everything on a list. A few enforcers hanging around watch for anyone deathmatching and bring them down. Such enforcers would need to be identifiable, perhaps through a specific article of clothing or something.

Anyway, what do people think of this idea? Feel like it could add a bit more to the game until the developers have added new things for us to work with?

• Like 3

Organizing groups of like-minded people to establish "living" areas? Awesome idea.

You'd need to first establish a physical locale so players you chose a server that is close enough to be playable.

But I love the idea of organized events and several have been discussed (http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/188418-imagine-if-we-pulled-this-off-for-a-couple-of-hours-er-lol/)

It seems like there are plenty of people who are willing to participate! :thumbsup:

This sounds like a great idea. I'd love to help out if this actually becomes a thing.

One of the things I learned from text-based gaming and roleplaying is that you might do well with a good person at the helm and not need to put much thought in, but when you have someone who isn't offering much to work with, you need to be proactive. In this case, the game isn't fully developed, so is only giving us a few tools to work with. I personally can't join a roleplay server due to a lack of a mic

If you plan to put together anything semi-social on the internet after 2000, I suggest you get yourself a microphone. It's like the cheapest part of a PC, and I cannot for the life of me understand why so many of you think that it's something you don't need for gaming.

I like your idea, but it's dead on arrival. If you try to put anything together where there are strangers, loaded guns, boring periods, stuff to defend and you cannot reply to "leviathan is that you?" you'll just get yourself killed by friendly fire imo.

All of you who don't have microphones: Go buy one. It's like half the price of your keyboard. Quit stalling. Go buy a damn microphone.

Edit: failglish.

Edited by LeeVanSpliff
  • Like 2

Hey count me in! 

Where is it going to be and when will you guys be at you're most vulnerable?

yes is great ideas some player is doing now vary good work for create fun immersion for other player ecample I met guys who is doing hunt and fishing and collect foods and drink to make café in cherno for survivors to stop chat eat and fight and I see always note with nice storyu sometime is instruction like go to this house and is other note say go fire house roof and other note say hahahaha is nothing for you.

I am do pig patrol I find pig and do stelth follow to keep safe and I try to stop person kill nbut I don't manage because sometime they kill me or chase me from the pig but I noever quit to try also wen is coming plant the vagtables and maybe do a farm we see player start to control area and do like mad max trade for foods ammo etc this game still is baby in mother stomach is not ready for born but wen all feature arrive like barricade I think will be complete different experience for all player like you say in op

are you of serious shrub chicken be of much greaters than pig you are mistakings

We tried something like this a while ago:

Ourselves (about 6 in my group)

And about 10 CQF guys

1 trusted medic

4 friendly players who joined in to help

Here's the video:

So if you need someone to be on guard duty, I already spend most of my days (when I play) patrolling the coast, hunting bandits so sitting around is something I'm used to

I haven't played in a while but I'm always up for coming back for big stuff like this

And by the way, deathtax will attempt to destroy you, but he at least made it fun last time

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

People already tried this... i think was something call " Project Heaven" a safe heaven in Rify for people. Didn't last long, and become a bandits zone very fast.. well.. KoSers zone....

All of you who don't have microphones: Go buy one. It's like half the price of your keyboard. Quit stalling. Go buy a damn microphone.

Yeah, anyone without a mike will just get shot any old way.

I used to play DayZ with a group of about 10 people and it got sorta boring. We didn't try establishing any safe zones, though. Sounds like a lot of work and a good way to die early. Wouldn 't be very useful yet either with no sickness and no persistence.

Also, I thought the topic of this thread was going to lead to a rap song about DayZ or something.

It's a neat idea, but like others have said, it just won't work. You'd need a significant group of players to defend against large clans who see this as a payday opportunity. By the time your friendly clan joins the server along with a couple unfriendly clans looking to bust down your party, there's only about 10 or 15 slots left in the server for "loners", who'd be your "customers". That's just way too much effort and danger to put into something that most likely won't produce anything but a PvP death match.

I have plenty of things to do other than kill other players.

If you plan to put together anything semi-social on the internet after 2000, I suggest you get yourself a microphone. It's like the cheapest part of a PC, and I cannot for the life of me understand why so many of you think that it's something you don't need for gaming.

I like your idea, but it's dead on arrival. If you try to put anything together where there are strangers, loaded guns, boring periods, stuff to defend and you cannot reply to "leviathan is that you?" you'll just get yourself killed by friendly fire imo.

Edit: failglish.

You will note the original posting was in May. I have since gotten a mic. Up until owning this game, I have never had a reason or need to own one, so it was a waste of funds to buy one. I found very quickly that typing in this game = instant gunshot to the face.

People already tried this... i think was something call " Project Heaven" a safe heaven in Rify for people. Didn't last long, and become a bandits zone very fast.. well.. KoSers zone....

I modified the idea a bit so that we mostly travel in small groups trading with those we run across and killing those who decide they want to loot us. We would still like to do a larger event once in a while, but not until the group is larger and persistent loot is in place. Any safe zone we would do won't have a permanent location. That ties into this quote:

It's a neat idea, but like others have said, it just won't work. You'd need a significant group of players to defend against large clans who see this as a payday opportunity. By the time your friendly clan joins the server along with a couple unfriendly clans looking to bust down your party, there's only about 10 or 15 slots left in the server for "loners", who'd be your "customers". That's just way too much effort and danger to put into something that most likely won't produce anything but a PvP death match.

Instead, it would be selected before the event and then announced impromptu that such and such town on a specific server is having a trade event. Looters and loners would have an equal chance to get onto the server, but our people would all be in place beforehand. Harder to predict where the event will be before it happens.