ForcefulCJS

Things I wish were never introduced to DayZ

1) Ghillie Suits. Yes I know they are awesome, but they are currently TOO awesome for PvP combat. Trying to fight against a ghillied player is pretty much waiting for them to shoot you and hoping they miss and POSSIBLY reveal their position. Right now, "getting the jump" is pretty much the most important thing in PvP combat. I have never been killed by someone I got the first shot on. However, ghillie suits, which are based purely on luck (60+ hours played and I still haven't found one and I've found FN FAL's with night vision more than once) almost always ensure that if you are stationary with any kind of tree/grass cover, you will get that jump. If you are near trees, bushes, or tall grass someone will practically have to trip over you to gain the kind of resolution necessary to distinguish you from the environment. Everyone in my group who's ever had one knows what a HUGE difference they make.

My problem with them is that they do the following: They give a huge PvP advantage based purely on luck, they make it 10x more difficult to dislodge campers from a certain area, and they only reinforce the camping mentality since movement cancels out most of the ghillie's advantages.

Solution: You want realism eh? Time to introduce some downsides to the Ghillie. You have no pack on the Ghillie skin, the ghillie should force the player to drop their pack and be limited to only their regular inventory. No more ghillie players who have an invisible pack that stores backup weapons and tons of supplies. This will also force ghillie players to be more careful in their weapon choices and make them choose between ammunition, medical supplies, and food/drink that they need to live. No more going down to the coast with a ghillie, sniper rifle, assault rifle, hundreds of rounds of ammunition, and enough supplies to camp for a week. How about heat too? It's common knowledge that a Ghillie suit is like an oven for anyone wearing it. I came up with two ways this could be handled:

a) Have the player temperature rise to dangerous levels if you stay in the sun for too long, this would create a trembling effect (not as strong as the "pain" effect but still noticeable) and heavy player breathing that would make it difficult to hear and give your position away to nearby enemies. Staying hot for too long would also begin to damage HP until you got into some shade or removed the Ghillie.

b) The increased temperature requires you to stay well hydrated, while wearing the ghillie your thirst will go up faster and require you to drink more often.

2) Thermal scopes. WHYYY? Seriously, these things dismantle everything that DayZ is supposed to be about. Careful movement, concealment, strategic positioning, and careful observation are all rendered MOOT when some jerk hiding behind dense foliage that makes them invisible to the naked eye can see every player for miles as a big glowing target. It's bad enough in the hands of one player, but in a squad it's ridiculous. The L85 user can player the role of god+spotter and destroy every single hiding spot in the wilderness. Or god forbid they have a sniper rifle themselves (hint: they do). This game is HUGE on encouraging players not to move during encounters unless it's simply to retreat. Yet now every time I'm hiding in bushes or trees I can't help but wonder if someone is about to blow my head off as if I wanted in out in middle of an open field. Again, these drops are completely luck based - anyone can loot a helicopter crash site - and the advantage these things give is not justified by the requirements (luck) it takes to find them. Just remove them in a future patch where gear gets reset, thermal vision has no place in DayZ.

3) Night vision. I might actually play more at night if every night server wasn't just a playground for NVG users. Again, this is another luck based drop that gives an unfathomable advantage for those who find it. I feel like every night game is just target practice for a bunch of NVG/NV Scope users and those stupid enough to try and play against them. I really enjoy the concept of playing at night, but only if everyone is on a roughly even level. Remove gamma abuse (it still exists), remove all forms of night vision, and force us all back to flashlights, flares. and chemlights. Night has a huge potential for fun, but not when night vision ensures that you will lose and die to the first player who spots you with one. I don't see much reconciling this change, it should simply be removed in a later patch and I honestly don't think 99% of the player base would mind. Forcing us back to flares/chemlights/flashlights would make night time exponentially more interesting.

Sorry but your points are just bad. All of these things are in Day Z because they are rare. People strive to get these things. It's a sort of end game. If there wasn't better gear why the fuck would people find anything passed an enfield?

a) Have the player temperature rise to dangerous levels if you stay in the sun for too long' date=' this would create a trembling effect (not as strong as the "pain" effect but still noticeable) and heavy player breathing that would make it difficult to hear and give your position away to nearby enemies. Staying hot for too long would also begin to damage HP until you got into some shade or removed the Ghillie.

[/quote']

This actually made me laugh out loud. Have you ever been outside? THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN. ON TOP OF WHICH, have you ever been outside in rural Russia? With such shitty weather all the time? Because I have. That shit does not over-heat you. I cringed when I read that you want peoples temperature to rise to dangerous levels if you stay in the sun for too long. Go outside, you're disconnected with reality. Don't suggest "realistic" additions if you're so out of touch with reality.

I agree with the point about thermal scopes. High end NATO gear IS totally out of place in DayZ: Suggestion: keep them as ultra rare loot, but....

Thermal scopes need special batteries, which cannot be found in game, giving the scope a finite life, once depleted its just an ordinary scope....

I agree with the point about thermal scopes. High end NATO gear IS totally out of place in DayZ: Suggestion: keep them as ultra rare loot' date=' but....

Thermal scopes need special batteries, which cannot be found in game, giving the scope a finite life, once depleted its just an ordinary scope....

[/quote']

They are ultra rare loot. If it's ultra rare loot why should it be finite. Fuck that.

I agree with the point about thermal scopes. High end NATO gear IS totally out of place in DayZ: Suggestion: keep them as ultra rare loot' date=' but....

[/quote']

They are ultra rare loot. If it's ultra rare loot why should it be finite. Fuck that.

1. Because they really do need batteries, so really are finite. same with NVGs by the way.

2. Because they are ultra rare for the individual player, but not for the clan loot farmers and hoarders, giving them access to an unrealistic level of map dominance.

Guille suits dropping their back packs, decent. Heat nope. It wouldn't change anything if it heated you up anyways the best cover is always under a tree in the shade.

Thermal Scopes, Yeah their strong. Point? I have never seen someone outside a youtube video or stream that has them.

Night Vision extremely over powered at night time. Yes if you run into someone with NVGs and you don't have them, your going to die. Simple as that.

Do I think the game would be incredibly more interesting without Thermal Scopes and NVGs? Yes I do. Night time would be some random ass fun because all you would see is flashlights and random flares and chemlights all over the fucking place.

BUT Life is not fair, NVGs are not fair, Guille suits are not fair. Luck based sure. Just like life. You say you want realism but you want to remove realistic items people may or may not have/find/get?

Your suggestions are basically not suggestions, they are tears about stuff you can't find and how people use them agaisnt you.

I do however think Military items and weapons should be far rarer than they are now, but the map is already established so not much they can do until release of a new map.

TL;DR: TL;DR:

[/quote']

1. Because they really do need batteries, so really are finite. same with NVGs by the way.

2. Because they are ultra rare for the individual player, but not for the clan loot farmers and hoarders, giving them access to an unrealistic level of map dominance.

So you're suggesting we nerf... teamwork?

[/quote']

So you're suggesting we nerf... teamwork?

Nope, that we nerf magical infinite power for nvgs and thermal scopes.

THIS GAME IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BALANCED....

It's about who got best gear = win or get the gear or stay in cherno where there is less grass

It's so rare, it must be balanced! We should add mobile nuclear launchers and make them so rare that people are more likely to catch a shiny pokemon than find them! That will make everything balanced!

I disagree with everything the OP has said.

This gear makes us all strive to obtain it and the few that do get to enjoy the fruits of their labour.

Even with this uber rare loot, these players are still mortal men. Just mortal men with a tactical advantage. No matter what equipment a single player has, he can still be killed in one shot with a Lee Enfield.

Get in an organised group, you will stand a much better chance out there and maybe kill one of these players and obtain their uber gear.

And people say this game does not promote cooperation :P

It's about who got best gear = win or get the gear or stay in cherno where there is less grass

Saying it's not supposed to be balanced is equivocal to suggesting that we remove PVP. If everything is just a contest of who has the best loot then the only people who ever win are the people who have massive groups and anyone else doesn't stand a chance ever.

Second' date=' you honestly think you would find night-vision or thermal equipment anywhere besides an actual military base, like not just some outpost or some field barracks, an actual constructed base? You honestly think that it's realistic to expect people to have night vision goggles and thermal scoped assault rifles? The reality is that any sort of automatic weapon is extremely rare and thermal-equipped weaponry or anything of that sort is virtually never going to be in anyone's hands. This is supposed to be a zombie survival mod not some Tom Clancy special ops shooter game, guns like that have no place in the game. I'd rather see automatic weapons as the end-game drops and see more of weapons like the Lee become the more commonly used PVP weapon because the automatics would be so rare.

The ghillie suit I've seen a few times as a drop, and I don't see much of a difference between getting ambushed from a hidden position and getting ambushed from a ghillie suit because you could really do either in my opinion. Though, the ghillie suit is definitely an upgrade that could be toned down a bit at least.

[hr']

Because shooting everyone you see other than your friends is cooperation, obviously. You could betray your entire group, take all their gear and move to a new group that has more gear and take all the gear from your friends with them. That's cooperation, I tell you what

Saying it's not supposed to be balanced is equivocal to suggesting that we remove PVP. If everything is just a contest of who has the best loot then the only people who ever win are the people who have massive groups and anyone else doesn't stand a chance ever.

Second' date=' you honestly think you would find night-vision or thermal equipment anywhere besides an actual military base, like not just some outpost or some field barracks, an actual constructed base? You honestly think that it's realistic to expect people to have night vision goggles and thermal scoped assault rifles? The reality is that any sort of automatic weapon is extremely rare and thermal-equipped weaponry or anything of that sort is virtually never going to be in anyone's hands. This is supposed to be a zombie survival mod not some Tom Clancy special ops shooter game, guns like that have no place in the game. I'd rather see automatic weapons as the end-game drops and see more of weapons like the Lee become the more commonly used PVP weapon because the automatics would be so rare.

The ghillie suit I've seen a few times as a drop, and I don't see much of a difference between getting ambushed from a hidden position and getting ambushed from a ghillie suit because you could really do either in my opinion. Though, the ghillie suit is definitely an upgrade that could be toned down a bit at least.

[hr']

Because shooting everyone you see other than your friends is cooperation' date=' obviously. You could betray your entire group, take all their gear and move to a new group that has more gear and take all the gear from your friends with them. That's cooperation, I tell you what

[/quote']

I geuss I must be the best player then ,

I play with 1-2 friends AND 1-2 only , and so far we got L825 <- Thermal scoped 3 , BAF x1 M107 X1 3-4 NVG's 6 Ghillie suits + wearing all one ,

You have to be smart and start getting a tent and looting airfield with EMPTY BAGS so risc is minimum

[hr']

Because shooting everyone you see other than your friends is cooperation' date=' obviously. You could betray your entire group, take all their gear and move to a new group that has more gear and take all the gear from your friends with them. That's cooperation, I tell you what

[/quote']

I geuss I must be the best player then ,

I play with 1-2 friends AND 1-2 only , and so far we got L825 <- Thermal scoped 3 , BAF x1 M107 X1 3-4 NVG's 6 Ghillie suits + wearing all one ,

You have to be smart and start getting a tent and looting airfield with EMPTY BAGS so risc is minimum

So, what about your experience makes rare loot balanced? I'm not finding any real counterargument here.

Apart from him not seeing the sun probably in a long time, the OP may be right on some points. The influx of high end military equipment in DayZ is huge and that is a problem. Every a-hole and his cousin seem to:

a.) Run around with NVGs, Rangefinders and .50cal weaponry.

b.) Disconnect on first sign of trouble because of the leet gearz.

It's funny how people want to defend their precious gear, stashed away in off-map camps and duped in the hundreds. This is not about balanceor teamplay, it's about your ego. Get over it.

The problem is, if you know where too look these things are much too easy to find, I have found 30+ crashed helicopters within the past 72 hours. I am armed and equipped for a doomsday that will make the zombie apocalypse blush in shame plus want to hide in a corner and cry. Once you get the pattern (and a car may be helpful but not mandatory) you can stockpile these items (let aloe dupe them) 'till they come out your ears.

Solutions are easy:

a.) Less helicpoter crash sites with Ghillies and BAF Camo clothing only there to find. Less military grad weaponry drops across the map -hangars, deerstands, barracks, crash sites, etc.

Replace with appropriate civilian weaponry - 30-06 rifles, old mosin nagats, tokarevs, simonovs and the likes, scoped and unscoped.

b.) Batteries for thermals, NVGs, Rangefinders. If you can't get in and out of a town alive while sporting a thermal scoped rifle, you are obviously doing somethign wrong.

c.) Replace the random ghillie drops with rare ArmA2 vanilla Hunter skin drops in barns and supermarkets. These do have the upper part of the body camouflaged but you need to hide the lower part of the body. Replace camo clothing drops with Chedaki or NAPA skin drops in civilian areas.

These "skins" are all in the game already, just a question of looking in the editor.

This topic made me laugh out loud since this reminds me of any MMO out there.

Guys, take one step back from the whole topic and tell me what you see.

You clearly talk about GEAR in this topic. GEAR. Even someone said that gear is everything in this game. Oh come on. Another step back. Get the picture of DayZ(ArmaII) yet?

Give me a rifle that shoots straight and maybe a decent buddy. Now I can take on ANY "high tier weapon" as long as I follow the basic rule: Keep a cool head and don't do stupid things.

I think rocket still has not arrived with his mod where he wants to be. As long as people have time to think "what is the best weapon I could farm?", the game ain't harsh enough.

There is no end game you need to be equipped for. Any "raid group" will take you with them if you only have a makarov.

"LF men for Elektro-Raid. Gearcheck at the well in Zelenogorsk."

Still......you got me with two points:

I also think the Ghillie does not fit in well. Not due to PvP or any other balancing issues. More like it does not fit into the scenario very well. Who would run around in a Ghillie during a zombie apocalypse? Furthermore nobody looks like a real survivor anymore. I guess 50% of the people I come across wear this stupid thing. No more backpacks with Ghillies would be a very cool thing. If you want to wear any, you'd need to set up a camp somewhere with a tent. And if you want to loot effectively, you'd need to wear other clothes.

Yeah and the thermal scope thingy. Would love to see some batteries making their way into this brilliant mod. For flashlights, NVG's, rangefinder and the thermal scope.

EDIT: Good post there Panther. Pretty much sniped me on my own thoughts there.

You clearly talk about GEAR in this topic. GEAR. Even someone said that gear is everything in this game. Oh come on. Another step back. Get the picture of DayZ(ArmaII) yet?

Totally. I realised a while ago that having the "best" gear doesn't really make much of a difference, except making you a more attractive target. If someone gets the drop on you, the chances are you're going to die and if you get the drop on them with pretty much any weapon, you're going to win. These days I'm surviving almost indefinitely (its blood attrition that kills me in the end) with nothing but an M1911 and a hatchet, and solo too. It's been a long time since a player killed me - I guess wits are the best defensive weapon of all.

NVGs and thermal scopes are a bit different, and I think requiring batteries is a good idea, partly because they actually do require batteries and partly because it gives their owners another resource they need to find and manage. We need much more of that.

I like the ghillie suit idea of no backpack too. As others have said I don't really feel that they fit in DayZ. They're not exactly standard military issue and they should be much, much rarer than they are now. That said, they're a cool little feature to have for those who want them, and we need more bits of kit that enhance different styles of gameplay.

You need to stop complaining and play the game more, if those items didn't exist, there would be no thrive to play more, to find better gear, and to be at the top of the food chain.

if everything was generic loot, then it would all depend on who has the better trigger finger, and it would turn into a sandbox counterstrike. where only kills mattered and you didn't need to explore, if the gear was that much of a pain in the ass, then everyone would just run around cherno/elektro with makarovs and 1911's playing deathmatch.

If there weren't tiers of gear IE, if it stopped at scoped weapons and camo skins, well we'd have half a game right now.

proposition for replacements? .. i didn't think so.

also you can ghillie up quite easily irl, simply by stuffing your clothing with tuffs of grass and foliage, if you wear webbing its even easier to spread it out more, its common knowledge.

Shape, shine, shadow, silhouette

i disagree bout Gsuits. They can make you spoted in towns a lot more than the Camo suit

The fucking hacks. I've died so many times under extremely fishy circumstances lately that I'm not even really playing seriously anymore, I just run around willy nilly and do random shit. It's too annoying to play it safe and live for 3 or 4+ days only to run into some dickweed with godmode who absorbs entire clips of ammo and one shots you.

Simple fix, The use of NVG and thermal scopes Drain batteries, batteries would be rare for these because they are military spec.

Add wear and tear to armors, armor like the gillie suit would get damaged while crawling about, was broken it would need to be repaired with the right mats.

I'm completly disagree with OP. I've got my NVG and Gsuit in unfair firefight against Electrozavodsk sniper. Me, with my colt with 2 mags and him - with svd and gsuit. I've outsmarted him and got his gear as reward. So why should I lose it because some unlucky carebear who can't in PVP wants them to be removed?

Havent really came across much NVG and Thermal but I dont think the ghuillie or camo make a huge difference. The fact that grass cuts out over a few meters certainly doesnt make the ghuilie OP (just abity harder to see longrange) and when lying in grass the ghuillie needs to be crouched to shoot anything further then 2 meters around him.

Ghuilie could be the best suit in the game and therefore made really rare but before it becomes that I feel like a bigger range of clothing should be introduced. God knows Arma II has the database for it.