envy9o9

Zombies--Too many now

I think I'll be the first to say this, the zombie counts are way too high now.

I mean ammo is already scarce without me having to kill 39 zombies all by myself, even with one shot weapons. The zombie count was fine before, the people complaining about the lack of zombies were idiots who were scouring the coasts and were too afraid to go up North. Every time me and a bud would enter a town, even with zombie counts as low as 100 we would encounter zombies, no matter the size of the town.

But now now this is just ridiculous. Zombies were already a force to be reckoned with before, now it just makes people want to avoid towns altogether and try and find loot elsewhere, which is ridiculous.

Please change the zombies back. Or at least only slightly increase them above what they used to be.

Please check your install meets the minimum requirements

Requirements:

ArmA II: CO

DayZ Mod Files (Available on the downloads page)

Balls

• Like 3

Requirements:

Balls

I hadn't realized that taking on 40 zombies single-handedly was a cowardly act.

What I really enjoyed was the desolate feeling, and the rush of excitement when an event such as meeting a survivor/bandit or being chased by a horde. But with this it's going to get old fast.

Requirements:

Balls

I think I love you.

+1

Please remember, it's an alpha. I made a small change and fixed some other bugs which have swung things greatly back in the other direction.

The need for "balls" comes as much from the scenario, as it is from playing this in alpha. So this has happened with 1.5.7, lets just see how it goes?

Please remember' date=' it's an alpha. I made a small change and fixed some other bugs which have swung things greatly back in the other direction.

The need for "balls" comes as much from the scenario, as it is from playing this in alpha. So this has happened with 1.5.7, lets just see how it goes?

[/quote']

Deal, but you won't see "how it goes" without comments from the community. This is mine.

• Like 1

I like the new zombie numbers, makes things harder.

It also helps if you don't shoot every zombie you see.

Please remember' date=' it's an alpha. I made a small change and fixed some other bugs which have swung things greatly back in the other direction.

[/quote']

Deal, but you won't see "how it goes" without comments from the community. This is mine.

Roger, understood. By the way, I'm just playing :) I'm a kiwi we like to tease and make jokes :)

Its an interesting way to fix for people always calling about to many murders, now with increased zombies and decreased ammo, people will want to conserve, stockpile ammo more and avoid zombie aggro.

I love that there are roamers out in the woods and the outskirts of hamlets/cities, however I have to agree in feeling that now there are too many zombies. Perhaps if there was some type of melee attack it would help mitigate this, but as it stands with the current amount of ammunition to be found I see this being an issue.

We'll see more tomorrow though, when it's daytime.

I like the new zombie numbers' date=' makes things harder.

It also helps if you don't shoot every zombie you see.

[/quote']

I don't think this is fair to say. Even if you pull the aggro of one zombie you'll have to pull the trigger in order to kill him, which will undoubtedly bring on the zerg... If there were more silent ways to kill zombies then yes, I agree with you.

• Like 2

[/quote']

Roger, understood. By the way, I'm just playing :) I'm a kiwi we like to tease and make jokes :)

Makes sense, I have cousins in NZ and they're the exact same way!

Its an interesting way to fix for people always calling about to many murders' date=' now with increased zombies and decreased ammo, people will want to conserve, stockpile ammo more and avoid zombie aggro.

[/quote']

Of course, but seeing as the only way to permanently rid yourself of an aggro'd zombie is to kill it which, if you don't own a crossbow, will now cause a horde of 40+ zombies (I'm guessing even more in bigger towns) to come after you and once again forcing your hand to waste more of your hard earned ammo. I agree with increasing zombies, but make them more spread out so that you encounter them in EVERY town but around the same numbers in that one area as it used to be.

I think the amount should maybe even be higher. After all, this is an infection that wiped out most of the population? They should be a constant threat. What is needed though is ways to play smart and silently take them out one by one, or lure them away. Features i am sure will be implemented sooner or later.

I don't have a problem with total number of zombies. But with their respawn time. I (for science) cleared one barn in the middle of nowhere and clocked how long it took for that group of 5 zombies to respawn (3 zombies wandering just outside of the barn and 2 inside). It took 3 minutes for the first zombie to respawn and after 8 minutes all 5 were back.

This is going to be a problem when clearing out whole towns, let alone cities. No one can clear any town in 3 to 8 minutes.

I think this reveals that many people dont strategically deal with the zombies, and treat them with the same fear they treat the ladder of a deer stand.

Here are some survival tips:

Carry a zed killing weapon with a big clip or plentiful ammo, like an enfield or Winnie. If you're a baller, carry a pking NATO weapon in your backpack for backup.

Choose pellet rounds and aim at head height. One pellet burst at medium difference can kill five or more zombies.

Know your paths and herd them. Look with binocs for an enter able building. Fire, get zombie attention and then sprint for the building. Make sure you have enough ammo or an escape route if things get hairy in the building.

When the zombies begin to claw their way into the building, head shot them for ammo conservation.

If you're overwhelmed in a field and can't escape, throw a smoke nade to distract them. A smoke grenade plus frag grenade can kill sixty zombies in one go.

Use whiskey bottles as distractions.

Lastly, the only recommendation I have to Rocket is to make flares have the same distraction power as smokes. It would help the new players out and give value to the things during the day.

Oh, and maybe increase the respawn zombie rate from four minutes to ten or fifteen. At the moment I'm fighting incredibly hard for my right to party.

• Like 1

Lastly' date=' the only recommendation I have to Rocket is to make flares have the same distraction power as smokes. It would help the new players out and give value to the things during the day.[/quote']

I second this. I just had my ass chewed on by about 10 zeds, about 20 minutes after spawning, and without enough ammo to do much in the dark. Tossing flares around might help to deter them more than a bit, even if temporary.

TKJ

Lastly' date=' the only recommendation I have to Rocket is to make flares have the same distraction power as smokes. It would help the new players out and give value to the things during the day.[/quote']

I second this. I just had my ass chewed on by about 10 zeds, about 20 minutes after spawning, and without enough ammo to do much in the dark. Tossing flares around might help to deter them more than a bit, even if temporary.

TKJ

Definitely not the same distraction power, but some small distraction ability, like a empty whiskey bottle, for instance could be a good idea. If it's possible to limit the effect to night time, that would be a better implementation of it.

If flares and smoke grenades had comparable power then smoke grenades are obsolete and flares become OP.

Worth testing at least imo.

disagreed - zombies as a player-threat were nonexistent before. this game is about survival, not some sort of post-apocalyptic deathmatch. zombies, and lack of provisions should be the largest threats to player survival. so to that end, i'd personally like to see provisions reduced just a tad, to the point of beans and coke actually being worth something.

I registered to post my opinion on this. When I was hearing about this mod from a friend a couple weeks ago what interested me most were the weird stories about dealing with people. The stories and events that happen in this game are based a lot on what people do with each other, friendly or hostile, in a tense situation. Scavenging can get you rewards as can murdering people but how you deal with other players seemed a big part of this game. The zombies were necessary; a constant external threat beyond players was needed to occupy people, offer a common goal and an ever present danger.

My issue with the change is that the zombies are so numerous that it hampers the player interaction. Grouping up just to kill zombies isn't half as interesting as grouping up to just be safe from other people to me. The reason I peak around ever tree and hide in a forest was never the zombies, who I could work around because of their AI, it was the fear of someone with a gun across the valley as I left cover.

I feel like the current zombie numbers have really negatively impacted player interaction. Banditry and Scavenging have taken off different meanings that I feel are worse than they were. I think the game will become about just surviving being attacked by, and abusing the AI of, a bunch of zombies in a way that sort of takes away from dealing with people.

I feel like zombies have become the primary threat and task in this game. If that's the desire with this change then I feel this mod will have lost a bit of what made it really unique. Surviving against the zombies was interesting but the events that I remember most fondly are dealing with people. Making friends, fighting people or just getting in a stand off was all really interesting and whether I died or came out on top I always felt that it was rewarding in some way. Being overwhelmed by zombies doesn't leave me with the same impression as getting stuck in a gunfight over some beans or travelling across the map with someone I just met to get some supplies.

I think this reveals that many people dont strategically deal with the zombies' date=' and treat them with the same fear they treat the ladder of a deer stand.

Here are some survival tips:

Carry a zed killing weapon with a big clip or plentiful ammo, like an enfield or Winnie. If you're a baller, carry a pking NATO weapon in your backpack for backup.

Choose pellet rounds and aim at head height. One pellet burst at medium difference can kill five or more zombies.

Know your paths and herd them. Look with binocs for an enter able building. Fire, get zombie attention and then sprint for the building. Make sure you have enough ammo or an escape route if things get hairy in the building.

When the zombies begin to claw their way into the building, head shot them for ammo conservation.

If you're overwhelmed in a field and can't escape, throw a smoke nade to distract them. A smoke grenade plus frag grenade can kill sixty zombies in one go.

Use whiskey bottles as distractions.

Lastly, the only recommendation I have to Rocket is to make flares have the same distraction power as smokes. It would help the new players out and give value to the things during the day.

Oh, and maybe increase the respawn zombie rate from four minutes to ten or fifteen. At the moment I'm fighting incredibly hard for my right to party.

[/quote']

This.

Try some more tactics and try out different weapons before you start crying.

I have to disagree, the zombie count is fine now, and could be increased in the future if needed or possible, but only because the real problem now is that players severely lack many other viable means to deal with zombies other than direct conflict.

We need more ways to distract and evade them. Giving flares and to a lesser degree chemlights the same effect that smoke grenades do in distracting zombies is brilliant. But even just running away should eventually prove viable. Ducking through and around buildings should help you evade zombies faster, but even just running after a certain amount of time should make the zombies slowly fall off your trail one by one. If you're bleeding it should be harder, but if not they wont have same bloodlust, literally.

It would be cool if we could create traps and lures, like a simple trip wire with cans attached so when a zombie walks through it starts attracting all the other zombies to it so players can sneak by them and clear out an area without actually having to fire a shot. But they would require players find a couple components to build them like tins and whiskey bottles and wire and stuff. Another could a makeshift flashbang, or rather noisebang, put together with a whiskey bottle and some chemicals and when thrown blows up on impact creating a loud noise attracting zombies to it temporarily, or a bloodbomb that requires a whiskey bottle and bloodpack that will lure zombies to it longer than a simple noisebang.

If this game is going to provide an authentic zombie survival experience players are going to need a lot more freedom in creating homemade solutions/tools to help them interact with the world, but this too will require players themselves think more strategically and creatively in how they deal with zombies and other players and not just fall back on some items to save their asses. It has to be both, a suite of combinable objects and player ingenuity, one cant make up for the other.

• Like 1

I think the amount of zombies is currently fine right now. I just think they need a longer respawn time.

TKJ

the number of zombie is fine, when they do add in other means of barricade, melee stealth kills or other stuff itll be easier. this also force people to form community or bands because to raid a town effectively you actually need a RAID. otherwise you need to become solid snake

this also fix the problem where people camp spots and farm items and also how people clear the town of zombies.

Requirements:

Balls

You are my favorite fucking dev ever.