taxi driver

Birds are indicating players. Truth or lie?

I noticed it a few times and i also heard it from other players. From a realistic point of view (birds picking leftover food/scavenger-birds) it sounds possible. So do birds spawn where players are or just random?

Edited by taxi driver

Judging from like the loot system on the game, I think it's definitely possible.

Birds do NOT indicate players

But -

In the woodland sounds there is a blackbird warning cry - it is at random.

And there is the flapping sound of a startled bird flying out of a tree quickly - random also.

You SHOULD only hear these sounds when another player is close.

That would be useful, for a better game.

[edit]: Hey, there is a good thread on this already started more than a year ago. Check it out: A lot of people agree:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/16342-player-activated-environment-sounds/#entry164420

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 4

Birds do NOT indicate players

But -

In the woodland sounds there is a blackbird warning cry - it is at random.

And there is the flapping sound of a startled bird flying out of a tree quickly - random also.

You SHOULD only hear these sounds when another player is close.

That would be useful, for a better game.

I always thought it should be this way. Perhaps an unseen dog or cat crying out when a player is near within human habitats, and perhaps

the sound of startled owl at night etc.

• Like 1

I always thought it should be this way. Perhaps an unseen dog or cat crying out when a player is near within human habitats, and perhaps

the sound of startled owl at night etc.

Yes - Because I live in the country, I spend time in the woods, in DayZ I am startled when I hear a bird warning cry near me. To me IRL it is not a background noise, it really means something is close and has frightened the bird. So in the game I always jump, even after playing for so long. There are two woodland bird sounds in DayZ that SHOULD ONLY mean a player is close. Also there is one woodland sound of a stick breaking. It is random in the game, but IRL it means an animal or a human is near and moving quietly.

To me this is very alerting - and silly - because these sounds SHOULD have real meaning in the game. They are very good warnings, and would make the game much better.

As you say - there could also be one or two sounds for villages, and also for the city.

Why not?  Hearing is an important sense.

All we have in the game are footsteps. But there are other sounds already in the game that should have real meaning too.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 7

Yes - Because I live in the country, I spend time in the woods, in DayZ I am startled when I hear a bird warning cry near me. To me IRL it is not a background noise, it really means something is close and has frightened the bird. So in the game I always jump, even after playing for so long. There are two woodland bird sounds in DayZ that SHOULD ONLY mean a player is close. Also there is one woodland sound of a stick breaking. It is random in the game, but IRL it means an animal or a human is near and moving quietly.

To me this is very alerting - and silly - because these sounds SHOULD have real meaning in the game. They are very good warnings, and would make the game much better.

As you say - there could also be one or two sounds for villages, and also for the city.

All we have in the game are footsteps. But there are other sounds already in the game that should have real meaning too.

xx

I agree with you. All these noises scare the hell out of me every time.. And don't get me started on those darn branches breaking near me!!!!

Until now I did not know they were random noises.. I thought maybe was a glitch noise or something. Well that is after checking all my surroundings.

We need these noises to have value.

Beans for you. :beans: 

• Like 1

xx

I agree, i am always running through the woods and when i hear these things i look all around, but also even if they did have meaning it could just be your character scaring the birds away and not always someone else.

• Like 1

I agree, i am always running through the woods and when i hear these things i look all around, but also even if they did have meaning it could just be your character scaring the birds away and not always someone else.

Yes I agree -  but I often hear these sounds when I'm waiting, not moving (in real life AND in the game) ... I think you can say you are "being quiet" (not when you are running, ok) but walking or standing still or in hiding.. In real life you can tell by the distance when it is you that has frightened the bird, or broken the stick, and when it is someone else.  In the game, if I hear a stick break more than a few feet away, or a bird fly suddenly from 4 or 5 trees away, it is not me causing that disturbance.

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Lie, birds are brainless AI that fly anywhere. It's always been that way

In A2 PMC, crows indicated combatants/bodies If they circled an area. Best seenbin the first mission. And I thought that was in the Dayz mod, or was it replaced by.flies?

Anyway, I.didnt think SA had that. Yet...

xx

I have a suggestion open on just that, it has been going for nearly two years now...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/16342-player-activated-environment-sounds/

• Like 3