Sign in to follow this  
leefriendfield

You are fully geared, would you shoot these people?

You are fully geared, would you shoot these people?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. A man with ruined pants and no shirt is wielding an M4 with damaged/ruined attatchments looks like he just came out of NEAF, but barely alive.

• Yes I would fire
    • Let them live another day
  2. 2. You see two men with pistols running into a village nearby, they look to have plenty of pockets and seem to have looted the hospital

• Yes I would fire
  3. 3. You see two fully geared TTsKO mosin LRS snipers overwatching NWAF they seem to be gaurding their friend at the firestation 600m away

• Yes I would fire

You do realize that the whole "befriending someone only to shoot them in the back" is a concept that cannibalizes itself right?  You wonder why people simply KoS and don't trust others yet you have had people trust you only to shoot them later?  First time shame on me kind of thing.  I trusted someone only to have it be a trap so screw that I'll just kill people for now on attitude is what happens from that.  You are actually only killing the very fun you like to have by.. having that fun. 

I'm fully aware of that and it happened to me as well in the mod. the difference is that in the mod there were players you could actually trust. In the first month or so of playing, I was shot in the back roughly 10 times. After that, I made a lot of friends and knew to keep an eye on them at all times. It worked and I got myself lots of friends. It felt realistic, like actual human interaction in a zombie apocalypse. You just needed to get an eye for it, so you'd know who to trust and who not to. 

It should be the same in SA, but it's far from that. I really don't understand why there's a completely different mentality going on in there. I blame the influx of CoD/BF players.

• Like 1

I'm fully aware of that and it happened to me as well in the mod. the difference is that in the mod there were players you could actually trust. In the first month or so of playing, I was shot in the back roughly 10 times. After that, I made a lot of friends and knew to keep an eye on them at all times. It worked and I got myself lots of friends. It felt realistic, like actual human interaction in a zombie apocalypse. You just needed to get an eye for it, so you'd know who to trust and who not to. 

It should be the same in SA, but it's far from that. I really don't understand why there's a completely different mentality going on in there. I blame the influx of CoD/BF players.

You actually do understand, you said it yourself.   The Mod drew a part of the ARMA 2 crowd.  It was a mod, not a game itself. I have been gaming for 25 years and never heard of the mod until the SA came out.  I'm not a FPS type generally but the whole survival deal got me to play it. I have a bunch of real life friends on Steam and none of them played or heard of the DayZ mod until we played the SA game.  Everyone sees the SA on Steam so it draws a different crowd then the mod did.

My kid plays CoD, has played it on PS for years and years.  He doesn't understand why I don't KoS to the point it frustrates him because he has that CoD mentality.  He is so use to just killing everyone he has that thought process.  He also says "they will just kill you later".  He hasn't played any other style because the concept of joining up to survive isn't in the games he's played.  SA simply draws a different crowd then the mod did.  It's going to be the wild west for the most part and I don't see a way they can realistically stop that.

• Like 1

I'd say the Steam reviews have perpetuated the problem as well. They read like whoever can be the biggest sociopath wins. That probably isn't the best introduction to the game if you are looking to promote anything other than the current gaming environment. The train is rolling its a question whether BI can get it turned while it's moving. I think they'll have to break it to 'fix it' - with a cost of players in the short term to the sociopath/COD crowd. I'd vote for it - as I've got lots of titles to choose from if that's my desire. I'd go as far as to say I'd be fine with the audience shrinking 10 fold if it resulted in the game I want to play - but that doesn't make BI money. :) Edited by makomachine
  • Like 1

all will die. gear is gear, and gear means more to me then a random guy.

1:

Well, he has a M4, the biggest douchebag weapon ingame. And what is he supposed to do with it? Run around and ask people to team up? Nope, this guy deserves to die.

2:

Well, those guys are stupid as they haven't spotted me by know. They deserve to die because they need to learn how to play the game. It will be a good lesson and obviously I like to kill people if they have an advantage, or atleast think they have an advantage. With my mosin, I'll kill both of them, or atleast try to.

Who doesn't want to be Killed on Sight, has to holster his weapons, simple as that.

3:

These guys will most likely kill everyone on sight. People in groups bigger than 2 behave mostly like animals. So I am going to kill them. And I have to teach them to not run to the NWAF, I mean, who runs for hours just to get gear? It's just pointless, you can get everything at the coast. And the fact that they are looting high end gear, is a deathsentence. You don't want to tell me that these douchebags will go back to the coast and play the friendly army guys, right?

Sounds like u will kill anyone.....

1. I use an M4 never killed another player only stalked them and I have almost 200 hours in game. M4 is a good all around weapon. But I case 1 I would assume he was a bandit killing people at NEAF so yeah I would kill him

2. I say leave em alone....I dont get this "dont run with guns drawn" mentality. That just leaves u open to camping bandits who sit at the base of the stairs in places like the ATC for hours just waiting to pop the first guy who runs in. Better safe then sorry.

3. I would kill the snipers at NWAF...but NWAF is really the best place for gear. I can run there in under an hour and get geared up in 3-4 runs through the place and often even on 20 man servers I am the only one there. The coast is the killing fields and most exp players will tell new players to get off of it...the way you describe it sounds like you KOS just about anyone....

More fun to stalk and watch your prey IMO only return fire when you need to. Live longer that way.

I never fire first, i always try to talk with people i encounter, regardless of what gear and weapons they have. Most people i have talked to have been friendly and we either just state our intentions and part ways or we may banter for a while and exchange items. I have even helped a player find his barrings so he coudl meet up with his friends.

I have only killed two people and that was last night as i came across them in a barracks i said hey and did get a hey back and i continued to chat, but the guy shot me in the arm. so i killed him and his friend.

I like to give people the benifet of the doubt, but i am always on alert when i encounter any other player.

Mark my words.  

DayZ will die if everyone continues on the path they are going down.  No one will want to play because they don't want to take the time to gear up just to get shot by some 13 year old kid screaming he's friendly while he is shooting at you.  If you want to deathmatch, go play a different game.

I voted shoot on all of them because there isn't a "Watch and Observe" option (which is different than the "Let them Live" option in my mind), and here's my reasoning, assuming I'm alone, which I am probably half or more of my playtime.

1) This guy just got messed up. He's either just left a combat zone or just logged back on after leaving one, and is dangerous because he probably doesn't have much to lose, and has a lot to gain by engaging and maybe killing me, with my full backpack, assault vest, pants, pristine Mosin+attachments, etc.

2) These guys outnumber me, and have more medical supplies than I do, so they're better prepared to engage me in a firefight. They may only have pistols, but I don't know how much ammo they have, and I don't know if there are more of them in and around the area, or perhaps coming to meet them. Again, my character is also geared much better than theirs' and my equipment would be most useful to them. I don't take chances.

3) These guys know what they're doing, and are coordinated. Typically, when there are 2+ snipers set up in an area, there are more of their friendlies with SKSs and M4s nearby, not necessarily 600m away. In my group, we always leave a friendly with an M4 nearby for close support of the sniper, who is usually tunnel visioned down his scope, covering the guys moving into the area in question. Also people who are geared up well are likely to go to the same places I am, and as a result I may see them again somewhere sometime soon, so I'd rather they not be completely geared up and ready to whoop some ass on me as soon as they see me.

I learned a long time ago in the mod that people who look friendly might not be, and the person whose stuff is all fucked up doesn't have much incentive to play nice, since the risk/reward balance isn't in his favor in those scenarios. I typically try to give folks a wide berth, but if push comes to shove, I'm going to initiate an engagement rather than play defensively.

There are players you can trust in the SA, it's just that with the SA being much larger than the mod was, there are more people who you can't. The balance might be a little off, but I suspect that after a while most of the CoD mindset kids will get bored of having to re-equip everytime they get "OMG TOTALLY 360 NOSCOPE 1 DOMED WITH THAT AK! WHAT A BITHC LOLIDONCARE 420 BLAZE IT ALL DAY!" Also remember what you said earlier about chatting with someone and then getting shot in the back. For someone who had a lot of hours in the game, keeping characters alive for 30-40 days at a time, it was FUCKING ANNOYING when you'd go to trade with someone for something, antibiotics, blood, whatever, and they'd turn around and waste you in the back as soon as you walked away. I hated that. I never made deals with people with my ghille suite or my good gear (FAL with NVG, DMR, suppressed mp5, coyote backpack, etc) because I didn't want literally weeks of work to get destroyed because of some dumb little kid in Zelen. So if you were one of the people who promoted that gameplay, or encouraged it, congrats, because the KoS you see now is the fruit of that.

There are players you can trust in the SA, it's just that with the SA being much larger than the mod was, there are more people who you can't. The balance might be a little off, but I suspect that after a while most of the CoD mindset kids will get bored of having to re-equip everytime they get "OMG TOTALLY 360 NOSCOPE 1 DOMED WITH THAT AK! WHAT A BITHC LOLIDONCARE 420 BLAZE IT ALL DAY!" Also remember what you said earlier about chatting with someone and then getting shot in the back. For someone who had a lot of hours in the game, keeping characters alive for 30-40 days at a time, it was FUCKING ANNOYING when you'd go to trade with someone for something, antibiotics, blood, whatever, and they'd turn around and waste you in the back as soon as you walked away. I hated that. I never made deals with people with my ghille suite or my good gear (FAL with NVG, DMR, suppressed mp5, coyote backpack, etc) because I didn't want literally weeks of work to get destroyed because of some dumb little kid in Zelen. So if you were one of the people who promoted that gameplay, or encouraged it, congrats, because the KoS you see now is the fruit of that.

I was definitely not talking about trade killers. Those are the detergent force feeders of the mod. You just have to make sure they don't leave your sight until they're far gone. I'd never turn my back on them without me looking back, with my weapon ready to fire at all times. A sniper set-up is a bit harder to deal with, tho, which is why I didn't trade much. I usually worked with tents in the middle of a field. I'd put the gear in there long before they arrived and tell them to trade the gear, with me overlooking the place with a sniper. I'd take the chance of being robbed over the chance of being killed any time. 

Yea, a lot of what I did in the mod was trading and scrounging and whatnot once I got geared up and met up with my clan and our tent city. Though I was also one of those guys that would go out and steal everything I could out of an enemy camp and bring it back to ours. I miss that, I want them to bring back tents to the game.

• Like 1

1) The guy would be full of adrenaline and would shoot at anything that moves, so yes I would open fire

2) They are fairly harmless, but I would wait until they left

3) One sniper I probably wouldn't kill, but two? Unless it was very obvious that they were guarding their friend, I would definitely open fire

You're what's wrong with SA. I bet you don't even respond when someone talks to you. There's no fun with people like you running around. We could have some fun by me holding you up or even just conversing, but no. I long for the mod days, when it was extremely rare for someone not to respond. Where most bandits responded to a friendly player by befriending him and shooting him in the back later instead of just shooting them without as much as a "hi" and moving on. It's all a big free for all match to you, isn't it? 

When do you people start realising that such behaviour devours the fun interaction with other survivors? I can't count the amount of friends I made in the mod, with whom I sat at my camp talking, looted NWAF, killed bandits. How many friends have been shot by bandits, after which I vowed to hunt down their killers, how many times we died together. I've even had arch enemies in some servers, who constantly tracked me down and I them. 

THAT was DayZ, not the pale KoS ridden free for all matches we have now, without the human contact which made DayZ what it was. All you see is gear, we saw other survivors in the mod. 

/rant

"You bet..." are you one of thoe spoiled little brats i was talking about ha ha.

You couldnt possibly know how i play or whether i make contact or not. Do i try to make contact, even before i got myself a mic, yes i got a mic because of this game. Im not a kid i have a full time job with a life which doesnt allow me to play games everyday every hour.

I havent killed anyone yet been killed many times. Very rarely were my encounters friendly, but just because i wont let you torture my character for your enjoyment doesnt make my game style wrong, and please stop following me around forums and attacking me.

Fuck everyone. If you ain't in my squad you are as good as dead if I get a shot at you.

Nothing personal.

• Like 1

"You bet..." are you one of thoe spoiled little brats i was talking about ha ha.

You couldnt possibly know how i play or whether i make contact or not. Do i try to make contact, even before i got myself a mic, yes i got a mic because of this game. Im not a kid i have a full time job with a life which doesnt allow me to play games everyday every hour.

I havent killed anyone yet been killed many times. Very rarely were my encounters friendly, but just because i wont let you torture my character for your enjoyment doesnt make my game style wrong, and please stop following me around forums and attacking me.

I assumed you didn't communicate because suicidally hostile players typically don't. Turns out you're a lot more suicidal than you are hostile, so you don't fall under that category. And no I'm not a spoiled little brat, for whatever reason you thought that.

confronting another armed player

He is armed? I shoot.

I assumed you didn't communicate because suicidally hostile players typically don't. Turns out you're a lot more suicidal than you are hostile, so you don't fall under that category. And no I'm not a spoiled little brat, for whatever reason you thought that.

So you are offended by me for not letting you handcuff me in the game??? You need proffesional help mate.

I normally shoot bambis and fully geared players. Bambis are bad, as they have nothing to lose. So they will try to punch you out, normally. Fully geared people, they are a threat to you, and unless you can surround them with your squad, it's recommended to just shoot them on sight. People that don't have a gun, though, I like to let them live. Or people that are injured. I used to hold people up all the time, now I'm doing that less and less, as me and my squad tend to either KoS, or to help.

I cna agree with that.

Honestly, Here in lies the problem with banditing in these dayz, A character doesn't have a value on their life, they literally only have their gear to lose so why lose it? 

This is more of a problem with greedy or sociopath bandits. If someone thinks they are only going to lose a few things, they'd probably not risk their lives. If they think they are going to lose everything and possibly be hand-cuffed, force fed stuff, mocked, and killed...

This is more of a problem with greedy or sociopath bandits. If someone thinks they are only going to lose a few things, they'd probably not risk their lives. If they think they are going to lose everything and possibly be hand-cuffed, force fed stuff, mocked, and killed...

There is a difference between A highwayman, and a squeaker with a power trip, remember that. 

So you are offended by me for not letting you handcuff me in the game??? You need proffesional help mate.

I'm not offended by you in any way, shape or form. My rant wasn't towards you, personally, but rather towards suicidal hostiles in general and how there are way too much of them.

MHH, can't really make a choice there, are those people totally oblivious of you, or do you stand in an open field and they run towards you?

if anyone with a ranged weapon sees me, i try to kill him, or go for cover and wait for his reaction, but if they are just running past, why shoot? i am fully geared and they won't do me harm, as they can't see me

when i am with my squad thats another thing (they all go KoS), but solo i normally play friendly

Edited by Zombo

I'm not offended by you in any way, shape or form. My rant wasn't towards you, personally, but rather towards suicidal hostiles in general and how there are way too much of them.

Well you did mention that I'm the reason this game sucks, and since you quoted my post about me writing I will never let anyone handcuff me, I just put two and two together. And I'm confused about "suicidal hostiles"? Do you mean players who attack fully geared players with bare fists? If so, no that's not me, like I said 200 times before, I have never killed anyone in this game, and been killed plenty of times, never have I attacked anyone first, been attacked many times. This has taught me to not get attached to my gear, and not to trust anyone. Do I try to make contact, yes mostly through a wave gesture, because if don't think other players want to listen to my two little kids yelling and screaming in background. But like I said I will log off or put up a fight as soon as I read "player x is attempting to handcuff you". Although this is a good feature in game, players are abusing it by force feeding other players with detergents and chemicals. Few meters distance and hands up is enough not appear hostile. I honestly don't think I will ever use that feature and couldn't care less if they remove it.

I have 200 plus hours in dayz, met hundreds of players, only ONE gave me food, none wanted a travelling companion, and only one group asked if I needed anything (didn't at that time). I helped few giving them food, saved one or two from zombies, once again never killed anyone, why, because I don't have a small man syndrome.

i call BS

Why? Pls explain. Isn't the whole point to brag what a bad ass i am, and not vice versa. Why would I brag about coming out for worse after every battle.

Edited by ld-airgrafix