Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Depth

Have the devs addressed the gamma night vision issue?

I hope that is sarcasm.

No is not. 

Whats wrong? you are afraid to loose a way of cheating?

Most of the (night-) time me and my buddies have very different nights. One has it pitchblack (really most of the screen RGB 0,0,0 except the sky) with some bright flickering pixels and the other has nice tones of grey and can see everything. Does anyone know which setting or whatever is responsible for this? Playing around in the video settings while in the game usally makes it worse and only a restart bringst back a brighter night with some luck.

Sometimes i think i have found the culprit, like the sky setting or whatever but usually it doesn´t last for very long :-(.

Edited by lauda

I'd imagine they'll be able to implement a solution once they've ripped out the renderer.

ARMA III pretty much has solved it already. It doesn't make darker areas brighter in any regard.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/139346-remove-gamma-and-brightness-settings/

ZVK0Qhm.jpg

Never mind that just tweaking the nights as to not be as black as this forum's background, would work wonders, so that people wouldn't NEED gamma tweaks just to play at night.

i have been saying that for a while. the exploit does not work as the person claims above. All the shadows will be a darker tone. You won't see objects or details within those tones. You may think you can see shit, but you cannot. A solid blue shadow is no different to solid black. I believe Arma 3 solved this already.

When i first played like many i joined a night server not having a clue what i was doing but man its was shit scary and fun me and the guys i used to play with would hunt folk on servers at night throwing flares etc around having all sorts of fun with others , now i never join a night server mostly cos i play solo i'm looking forward to when the games a beta stage with most of the bugs ironed out and camping etc added to get back to playing at night with friends so yes having to just play in total dark with out any sort advantage would be good.

Its not totally fixed but once again ... if everyone can do it - legitimately - then its not an exploit.

Everyone could in theory do any exploit, this is not just why it is called an exploit. It is an exploit because it is bypassing how the devs wanted you to play the game, and the point of night-time as a game-altering feature.

Guys guys guys... exploiting is using BUGS to bypass the way game was meant to be played. Gamma settings are not bugs, but standard feature.

What DayZ needs is not removing so called "gamma cheat" but a) adding variety of WORKING light sources and b) making nights playable. Frankly, I don't give a damn if you call having your screen all black a realistic night. I want to see something at night and use light sources for details. So far, I can't do that no matter how high I set my gamma or brightness settings.

• Like 1

I think nights are very playable Yogi and much more fun than the day. If you have torches, weapon flashlight, headtorch and a lantern it is amazing and the light works very well. I think they should lock the brightness and gamma levels from going past about 60% of the way up and then work on a better fix in the mean time

Everyone could in theory do any exploit, this is not just why it is called an exploit. It is an exploit because it is bypassing how the devs wanted you to play the game, and the point of night-time as a game-altering feature.

The Devs clearly also want you to be able to adjust the gamma and brightness as every monitor/gfx/player eyes is different.

I guess some people need it, different hardware, different eyesight quality etc. It would be nice to have a more limited range though so it it could be a little more realistic, and force lamp/torch use at night.

A brave move from the devs would be to force only one gamma change per 12 or 15 game hours, making daylight play really tough for those playing in full gamma ;)

Edited by kander

Its not totally fixed but once again ... if everyone can do it - legitimately - then its not an exploit.

Of course it's an exploit. That is actually the definition of an exploit: Everyone can do it, because it is a game feature that works in unintended ways.

Guys guys guys... exploiting is using BUGS to bypass the way game was meant to be played. Gamma settings are not bugs, but standard feature.

Nope. It doesn't have to be a bug. An exploit is using a game feature (bugged or not-bugged, and the gamma is arguably bugged as it is) in ways it was not intended to be used.

The Devs clearly also want you to be able to adjust the gamma and brightness as every monitor/gfx/player eyes is different.

Indeed, and in the process they unintendedly provided night vision to all players.

Guys,

I usually play at night with gamma turned all the way up because it is way easier.  However, last night I played with my team and we turned gamma down to normal levels and we used head torches and a portable lamp to make our way around our town.  It really brings the eerie factor back to night time play and we had a blast.  

I was wondering if the developers were going to change the gamma input to enforce a more realistic night time? 

Thank

Bottom line No NVGs plus locked gamma = hop servers if its night. period. will not negotiate on it 1 tiney bit. thats a no-play for me. this engines lighting is total crap.

Indeed, and in the process they unintendedly provided night vision to all players.

Just to echo many other players, it doesnt work for me anymore since couple of patches, just pitch black except for sky.

Just to echo many other players, it doesnt work for me anymore since couple of patches, just pitch black except for sky.

What your saying the gamma exploit has been fixed?? hope thats right it may explain why i am not being shot as often playing at night as well call me strange when its night i dont turn gamma up its ment to be dark except where i use my light ( usually a lantern ) does it give my location away yeah it does but if they cant see in the dark i am just as likely to see there light source..

What your saying the gamma exploit has been fixed?? hope thats right it may explain why i am not being shot as often playing at night as well call me strange when its night i dont turn gamma up its ment to be dark except where i use my light ( usually a lantern ) does it give my location away yeah it does but if they cant see in the dark i am just as likely to see there light source..

Could be GFX/Monitor specific and also it depends on the Moonlight, I am talking about a moonless night.

Bottom line is if you make it obnoxious to play in a certain environment people simply wont play in it. The current rendering of the night-time envrionment is just silly. i have been outside at night  and im sorry, its not even remotely realistic.

Im all for "low light" night time, but when it becomes difficult to negotiate where your walking without getting stuck on something collision box, Thats obnoxious. we can argue RL experiences, graphical differences, etc all day. from a game design standpoint you need to strike some balance (as much as it pains me to admit). if you make a situation God aweful, remove a player's alternative- And make the "intended" solution horrible as well- people will just go to another TZ server rather then deal with it.

It is obnoxious as it is now, but I don't think the current night needs altering. It will be altered and balanced when they add in more environmental and ambient light sources automatically.

No is not. 

Whats wrong? you are afraid to loose a way of cheating?

No, I just thought most gamers understood the purpose of gamma. The black on your monitor isn't the same as the black on my monitor or any number of other people's monitors. There is no one setting that would work for everyone or there wouldn't be gamma settings. The type of monitor, manufacturer, video card, room lighting, or even the age of the monitor will impact gamma. In short. You can't remove the gamma setting and keep night in the game. The setting on my monitor to make it just above utter darkness might very well look "cheating" on your monitor.

Bottom line is if you make it obnoxious to play in a certain environment people simply wont play in it. The current rendering of the night-time envrionment is just silly. i have been outside at night  and im sorry, its not even remotely realistic.

Im all for "low light" night time, but when it becomes difficult to negotiate where your walking without getting stuck on something collision box, Thats obnoxious. we can argue RL experiences, graphical differences, etc all day. from a game design standpoint you need to strike some balance (as much as it pains me to admit). if you make a situation God aweful, remove a player's alternative- And make the "intended" solution horrible as well- people will just go to another TZ server rather then deal with it.

Have you ever been out in the wilderness in the middle of a night without moon light?

Anyway, are you suggesting that using gamma is an intended solution? Flashlights, head torches and weapon flash lights have worked since the start as far as I am aware of.

Have you ever been out in the wilderness in the middle of a night without moon light?

Anyway, are you suggesting that using gamma is an intended solution? Flashlights, head torches and weapon flash lights have worked since the start as far as I am aware of.

I have. You know what I do? I go back in my damn tent. The idea of people bumbling about in a pitch-black night, in a zombie apocalypse is just silly. So, for game play, unless they add something to do inside on such nights, there's no reason to have such nights. They are dead play. No content. Pointless.

Remove gamma and brightness please! My monitor already does that and any option in game will always be exploited.

I'm still being killed when I can't see my hand in front my face. Once instantly when I spawned on the beach.

No- But even on a full-moon night clear as can be its rendered as if it were moonless and overcast. when it actually is moonless you could walk into a freaking waist high fence before seeing it.

And yes i have been out camping IRL. its not as bad as DayZ SA looks. gamma has just become a necessary crutch to supplement poor lighting in the game. intended, no. but dont patch gamma first improve lighting & HDR FIRST. then and only then, can you remove the gamma exploit in some way.