CeaseFire032

Russian alphabet on the map

In standalone the map item that you can find only has English alphabet characters for the town names while the road signs are all in Russian alphabet characters.  I found the map all but useless because of this.  I think it would be best to use either the Russian names on the map or both Russian and English for each town/location.  This way you can actually use the map to figure out where you are by matching the road signs with the names from the map.  

• Like 2

Search before posting. This has been discussed before.

IIRC It was a resounding NO! Most people who played long enough don't need a map, smart people used a 3rd party loot map and the truly dedicated learnt Russian.

IIRC It was a resounding NO! Most people who played long enough don't need a map, smart people used a 3rd party loot map and the truly dedicated learnt Russian.

Well, the 1337 players may not need it, but it'd still be nice to have it!

It's not that hard to figure out the signs, just study this for awhile

• Like 1

1337? Wered you get that number from?

1337? Wered you get that number from?

Does it matter? I realize that the map is not used alot, and most people don't need it, but it would make a better impression of the game if the map was russian/cyrillic. Besides immersion of course.

If it's too complex of a change to make for the dev team then, well so be it. But don't tell us that you ain't chainging it because it doesn't matter, or people just learn the map my heart anyways. You could just aswell remove the map as a whole.

• Like 1

Just find yourself a russian cheat sheet in-game.

Includes cyrillic to latin aplhabet and also pronunciation tips! :lol:  

Did a search of this forum for "map" and got no results.  

People who have played long enough don't need a map, you're right. But people who do need a map should get a common sense map that is in the same language as the region they are in.  What would be the point of learning Russian, when the map is not in Russian?   

maps not necessary for kos, so waste of space :)

It's not that hard to figure out the signs, just study this for awhile

Why would i study that when none of those characters are on the map?  Yes they are on the signs but when you cant match the town names from the sign, to those on the map it's pointless.  If I'm in Russia, looking at a Russian map, shouldn't the characters on the map be from that alphabet?  It would just be more realistic than having to alt-tab to look at the loot map online. Kind of kills the immersion. 

Replacing the map item seems like one of the simplest requests that could be asked, you edit the image file with the correct characters and save the file, package it in the next patch.  

Edited by CeaseFire032
  • Like 1

I thought the same thing, i have the full ingame map and it can be hard to use unles you stay near roads. Would be nice to have it in russian as the signs. it can get confusing if you run through the woods and can't match the name without going to an online map.

Spoiler: You don't have to be able to read to read a map.

Spoiler: You don't have to be able to read to read a map.

Ah yes, Map to ground.

Why would i study that when none of those characters are on the map?  Yes they are on the signs but when you cant match the town names from the sign, to those on the map it's pointless.  If I'm in Russia, looking at a Russian map, shouldn't the characters on the map be from that alphabet?  It would just be more realistic than having to alt-tab to look at the loot map online. Kind of kills the immersion. 

Replacing the map item seems like one of the simplest requests that could be asked, you edit the image file with the correct characters and save the file, package it in the next patch.  

What do you mean? If you find a sign that says "Электрозаводск" you can spell it out from the letters. Before you know it you'll be able to remember all (or at least most, which is enough) of the letters without even needing to peek. Any new places on signs you can easily spell out and look on the map for the latin alphabet counterpart, it sounds exactly the same.

I know what you're saying about it being inconsistent, but if the map AND signs were in Russian, you'd never know how to say it properly. Imagine asking someone if they've been to "Kpass-ho-stab" recently or something. They'd have no idea what you're talking about. Ok, so maybe put the signs in English as well? But then that kinda breaks the immersion, probably more than the map. I would just imagine the map is for tourists who don't care how it's spelled but care about asking for directions.

It would be much easier to have both as online maps do, but I think it's 'lazy', like cheating a puzzle. For me it was a nice little extra, it added to the immersion of being lost.

Edited by Chris529