Sign in to follow this  
rotteck

mosin bullet-travel-time

hi guys,

yesterday, i experienced something weird...

it took the mosin bullet three seconds to travel a distance of 600 metres (and kill the zombie, at least he fell over after that period of time)

that would be 200 m/s.

in real life a mosin-bullet has the speed of around 800 m/s ! thats 4x the speed ingame, and more than twice supersonic-speed !

i wondered why i wasnt able to hit a slowly moving player... now i know why...

the devs should really make this more realistic. it even says somewhere: "the weapons are designed after their real life Counterparts, and behave as such."

right now, that is NOT the case (at least for the mosin) :D

or was it just some Kind of desync/lag ? i dont know...

would be cool if you could leave some similar experiences, or the very reverse :)

rotteck

Edited by rotteck

It's still in the early stage of the game and there will be many changes to the Mosin. So, I am sure later on they will correct this bullet speed.

I don't think it's correct to compare the bullet velocity with the moment the zombie falls over. Bodies in DayZ may drop down only after considerable delay.

correct bullet velocity?

How abouw we first try get the correct ammo in the mosin-nagant? (7.62x54r)

Funny how a rifle made in 1891 using a round put in to service in 1951 by ...the US and its allies.

Strange thad they choose this round since the 7.62x54r is the russian rifle round used still to this day in sniper rifels and LMG's.

I don't know how or why they ended up with the nato rifle round(7.62x51) but prob was put into the game before the mosin-nagant was.

So prob some programmer ducktape to make the alpha work for now, but prob be fixed later on.

i can tell you, the zombie was down way before you saw him disappear. since the latest patch rendering is a bit ****** up above 100m. you don't see where your bullets land, you see no blood when you hit someone, zombies far away just disappier after some seconds they died. (everything above 100m).

here is the link to the bug-report: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=10980

correct bullet velocity?

How abouw we first try get the correct ammo in the mosin-nagant? (7.62x54r)

Funny how a rifle made in 1891 using a round put in to service in 1951 by ...the US and its allies.

Strange thad they choose this round since the 7.62x54r is the russian rifle round used still to this day in sniper rifels and LMG's.

I don't know how or why they ended up with the nato rifle round(7.62x51) but prob was put into the game before the mosin-nagant was.

So prob some programmer ducktape to make the alpha work for now, but prob be fixed later on.

You realize this has no affect on gameplay, which is why they aren't giving a shit about it.

• Like 1

Your bullet hit right away, but the zombie didn't fall for a few seconds.

Seems like the farther away you are the longer a delay it can have.

I have experienced this quite a few times.

I don't think it's correct to compare the bullet velocity with the moment the zombie falls over. Bodies in DayZ may drop down only after considerable delay.

I've tested this on an empty server when my ping was barely above 20 with no desynch.  After a point blank shot with a Mosin, the zombie drops instantly as expected.  200 meters away, the zombie drops a full 2 to 3 seconds to drop after shooting.  Unless our characters see more and more into the past as distance increases, lag is not a very likely answer to this problem.  That and you can see bullet hits at that distance and even they don't appear until a few seconds after a shot.

Graphs are a lot nicer when they have some sort of description!

Bullet travel time in general is pretty lousy in the SA imo.

I assumed it was obvious. Still do!

Bullet travel time in general is pretty lousy in the SA imo.

1.4 seconds for the bullet to travel 800 meters

All bullets travel slow in SA at the moment. Try shooting the metal siding on a hanger, you'll notice that you hear the impact of the projectile a moment after you fire. The impact for all weapons should be instant and indiscernible from the firing itself at that range.

I don't have the facts but I have this feeling that the way bullets work is the way physics work at the moment. The "tick" rate of the server slows all physics down.

You can observe this if you throw an item. You can almost catch up with the thrown item as it's flying through the air so I believe bullets are also experiencing a relative issue where they actually fly a lot slower than say ARMAs. I don't think its intentional as well.

Edited by teapot

I assumed it was obvious. Still do!

Obvious or not it's still lazy =P