Sign in to follow this  
massacrorBKK

Cause the night is dark and full of terror...

I intend to post that in the 0.44 feedback topic, but I guessed some people might answer then better to do a new topic.

I came a few weeks ago and didn't see the night yet, so when I played tonight and night was falling in game I can't resist to go take a walk in the woods with my flashlight no matter who can shot me out there.

I'm coming back here with some feedback and criticism... positive criticism I hope.

First, I found it amazing in term of atmosphere... (that is for positive)

You can see some buildings in the distance, don't know if there's zombies around. I was going on a known route following trails and roads but in the end I lost myself anyway by trying to avoid to enter in any village.

Second, I think there should be a bit more work in terms of contrast :

- The sky should be more dark and more contrasted. It would be easier to see stars (was hard to find the north star) and trees and buildings shape wouldn't be so clear with the sky in the background.

- Objects in the distance shoudn't fade to white (it's perfect during the day) but fade to black. Right now, it's easier to count bush on a hill far away than just next to you. Black should be darker than the sky so you still could see big shape like a hill or a valley but you could not see any details.

- There's should have more contrast for what is just next to you (don't know 10-15 meters) making what is directly surrounding you a bit more clear . Example, tonight during my road trip I took a dust trail in the middle of some fields. I had to open my flashlight to not lose the trail. This is clearly not needed in reality, you can follow a path, a road, even in the forest without any light at night.

Thanks for read, and leave your comments.

• Like 3

I had to open my flashlight to not lose the trail. This is clearly not needed in reality, you can follow a path, a road, even in the forest without any light at night.

A night without moonshine and enlightened citys in your vicinity can be extremly dark. U cant compare it to a real-life urban enviroment. Im talking about light pollution, which makes night less dark. The darkness seems alright to me. But something which glows here and there at night would be cool. Adds alot to atmosphere.

And hey, its apocalypse, isnt it?

I'm not talking about urban night. You can walk in the forest along a path with no light.

I remembered I walk around at night with no light but the stars in the 1000 islands in Cambodia. No cities, no light at all cause the only light available is produced by some generators which are shutdown after 10pm. We walk with a friend on a complete unknown path in the fields and under small trees coverage, and we manage to make all the round of the island and came back at our guesthouse.

I can tell you we saw many things... Water buffalo (can ear them and saw them when they were moving), roosters and dogs (brighter colors), trees, houses, etc.We first walked on a railroad then on a path. We never lost the road.

I'm not telling this story to say it's an exploit, the contrary it is just an example. Everybody can do it and so should it be in the game.

I made a new test with Gamma tonight (only the test, not the night gameplay)...

And I was amaze that all the critics I've done first in this thread are invalid, only if... you put your gamma to minimum...

- The sky is dark enough, you can still orientate a bit while you still able to see the shape of trees or hills with the sky in the background.

- The object in the distance are fading to black.

- Then you can guess your surrounding like you would at night. Means you can see a road, some stones or herbs but after 10-15 meters everything is pitch black.

Nice to see the dev won't have any work on that... Only problem is : all the rest is too dark, like your inventory interface or even if you turn on a light... Still have a bit of work in fact but it is almost perfect. I'd recommend...

Must say tonight was cloudy... With full moon we'll need a bit more light.

Edited by massacrorBKK