RedElv

DayZ - Steam: "Unable to locate a running istance of Steam"

Hi,

I have purchased DayZ Standalone from Steam, and when I tried to lunch it I got a pop-up window which says " Unable to locate a running istance of Steam ".

Could you please help me to fix this issue? :(

here is my rig details:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Quad  CPU @ 2.0GHz
8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 @ 800 MHz
vtx ATi Radeon 2 GB DDR3
Steam is install on the D: drive
Available driver space is 64GB

2zemcrm.png

Edited by RedElv

Simply restart steam, that usually works for me, it's a very simple problem. It happens if you've started/closed dayz too many times in the same steam instance.

:thumbsup:

Simply restart steam, that usually works for me, it's a very simple problem. It happens if you've started/closed dayz too many times in the same steam instance.

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately it may not be that simple. I have a similar issue.

When attemtping to launch DayZ through steam nothing happens (the app looks like it opens for a second then closes instantly, in the task manager it appears for just that millisecond)

If I create a desktop shortcut I get the same error as the OP when launching it.

I have tried re-installing Steam and DayZ to no avail. I have seen this error in multiple other threads but there doesnt seem to be a response from the actual dev team. The fix seems to be replacing some dll files, however I would like to have something more official before I go larking about with my windows files.

I have been playing the standalone since release switching between experimental and stable every now and then. I have only recently had this problem 

edit: another fix proposed is a complete Steam re-install, which seems a bit drastic to me and not something I think I should have to do

Edited by Shagohad

I have read both those threads, neither fix is applicable/works

this thread seems to be the closest to the issue: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159724-game-wont-launch-nothing-happens-when-i-press-play/

however my issue is I have one guy I dont know who hosted some DLLs (now removed).

This issue is all over the internet and has no official response as far as I can tell

Try verifying game cache, restarting steam, running steam as admin, re-installing Steam.

If all else fails there is an existing bug report here which you can add to (include a dxdiag file (start > type dxdiag > open and save save ) and the files from this folder: "C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Local\DayZ\")

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=4980

Try verifying game cache, restarting steam, running steam as admin, re-installing Steam.

If all else fails there is an existing bug report here which you can add to (include a dxdiag file (start > type dxdiag > open and save save ) and the files from this folder: "C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Local\DayZ\")

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=4980

wow, running steam as admin worked. Maybe a sticky or something could be created with fixes for this? Because I worked from the hardest solution to the easiest lol jsut based on what random threads were saying, ie: reinstall game, steam, gfx drivers, run exe. as adming and none of those worked even though I have been playing fine for months.

Cheers for the fix though, I guess sometimes the most obvious fix is the right one