JerDGold

More features = Less KoS?

clans are the result of people cooperating, so you dont want people to cooperate with each other?

i'm really not seeing your point, i get that you're against meaningless pvp, and you're against cooperation between people, what the hell?

I just mean endless waves of clan wars, where nothing matters, especially permadeath because your character doesn't need to fear dying because the clan will restock you and you're good to go again. I get that tribalism and protectionism would happen to some extent in an IRL post-apolcalyptic scenario, but it would be much cagier, much grittier. Remove the fear of dying (and you would be removing the fear of dying, almost completely) and the game becomes one big endless game of Battlefield for the lulz, and aren't there more appropriate games for playing like this?

Edit: I really don't have a problem with people playing like this. It’s a sandbox game after all and for most folk, joining a clan, stockpiling loot and fighting other clans is their endgame. I just hope that there will still be plenty to play for the casual gamer. Most people don’t have the time or inclination to spend hours a day on clan membership, and can’t commit to being online at certain times for assaults etc.

Lone wolves need to be able to have their own kind of endgame, even if it’s just a meaningful and effective way of messing with the clan gamers.

FURTHER EDITED to remove 'pointless' from clan wars - it's all pointless really, innit ;)

Edited by kander

I just mean endless waves of pointless clan wars, where nothing matters, especially permadeath because your character doesn't need to fear dying because the clan will restock you and you're good to go again. I get that tribalism and protectionism would happen to some extent in an IRL post-apolcalyptic scenario, but it would be much cagier, much grittier. Remove the fear of dying (and you would be removing the fear of dying, almost completely) and the game becomes one big endless game of Battlefield for the lulz, and aren't there more appropriate games for playing like this?

Thats largely sorted by the rarity of items and fixing of storage systems.

One of the main issues in mod was the ease of duping. rather or not YOUR clan did it or not, it meant that thousands of duped items like NVGs, AS50, etc all got into circulation making any balance attributed to rarity of the weapon or its ammo irrelevant- And this doesnt even account for crates with 50 of everything spawnd in cherno by hackers.

In an essance, as long as they dont make the mistake that epcoh did and use some sort of ownership mechanic, it should be fine. completely inaccessible things like Safes should probably be avoided for obvious reasons, but linking storage divice to character is also bad. if you ahve a tent/cahce/weapon rack what ever they call it in a clan base and die, it should not despawn thus vaporizing everything everyone else put into it. That said its not realistic for it to be a complete indestructibel entity liek epoch's safes either.

If you make it so that clans have to choose between either scattering and hiding thier cahces or putting it all "in one basket" where they can mount active defence its prone to riaidng by another group.

Edited by Sovetsky

I just mean endless waves of clan wars, where nothing matters, especially permadeath because your character doesn't need to fear dying because the clan will restock you and you're good to go again. I get that tribalism and protectionism would happen to some extent in an IRL post-apolcalyptic scenario, but it would be much cagier, much grittier. Remove the fear of dying (and you would be removing the fear of dying, almost completely) and the game becomes one big endless game of Battlefield for the lulz, and aren't there more appropriate games for playing like this?

Edit: I really don't have a problem with people playing like this. It’s a sandbox game after all and for most folk, joining a clan, stockpiling loot and fighting other clans is their endgame. I just hope that there will still be plenty to play for the casual gamer. Most people don’t have the time or inclination to spend hours a day on clan membership, and can’t commit to being online at certain times for assaults etc.

Lone wolves need to be able to have their own kind of endgame, even if it’s just a meaningful and effective way of messing with the clan gamers.

FURTHER EDITED to remove 'pointless' from clan wars - it's all pointless really, innit ;)

First of all, the concept of permadeath in any game already starts flawed by the fact that you respawn. The only way a real permadeath would be able to occur would be by banning the user when he dies, but that would be incredibly bullshit, as this is a game and people paid for it.

The fear of dying never existed at all, as you never die in the game, you just leave your gear in a place and is teleported somewhere else.

Going from that, stop to tunnel your vision on utopic goals like a perfect simulation of what would happen in a real scenario, as the game will never be even close to the real deal, no matter how much we try.

and lone wolves are faded to fail unless you're a REALLY good player. That's why clans are built from after all, people team up cause they need help in something or are cooperating to a final goal that wouldnt be possible alone unless you're good enough.

Numbers mean power in a scenario like dayz.

lone wolves IRL would be just like that too, only the best would survive.

Edited by lipemr

Features that can only be accessed through cooperating with other players, such as base building and vehicle repair. Random traits that give a player a certain skillset (carpenter, electrician etc), something that would give your char's life actual 'value' to the server's community. There would still be KoS, griefers, bandits and what-have-you, but it would certainly reduce it imo.

DayZ is not an MMO. No stats, traits, level, experience. None of that. However base building, vehicles, helicopters, and zombie hordes are the way to go.

I blame the ease in getting ammo.. Even if they add a bunch of things to do, if im sitting with over 300 rounds between 2 characters(and thats without server hopping), alot of people are going to be KoSed..

I mean, I already have my group of friends that I run around with.. Why should I trust someone I dont know...

If they make zombies a huge pain in the ass that you would shoot rather than melee as well as make ammo very scarce, and I mean to the point of having 3 bullets will make you happy in the pants heh. Thats really the only way I see anything changing. Maybe stat tracking for those who dont like having certain stats attached to their character.. But really to me, its the ease of getting alot of ammo.

Im sure I will still be running around with those 3 bullets saving them for when I see someone I dont know cause I also enjoy running around kosing.. or with a baseball bat.. but yeah.. Right now, Its way too easy :P Its not even a matter of theres nothing else to do imo... 3 bullets compared to 300 will make me think if I really want to shoot this guy in front of me or save it for a better use... Or just go at him with a baseball bat :P At least with the bat it would be a bit more challenging..

edit: Come time when storage is possible.. I will have even a much bigger stash of ammo ready.

Edited by cels

DayZ is not an MMO. No stats, traits, level, experience. None of that. However base building, vehicles, helicopters, and zombie hordes are the way to go.

I basically agree, but see no harm in having some small way of incentivising people to keep their characters alive as long as possible, instead of rushing into deathmatches, dying, and regearing from private or clan stashes. Assuming your guy starts off as an average joe washed up on the beach, getting slightly better at things like environmental tolerance, strength and weapon proficiency (less sway etc) could easily make the game a richer experience, as well as adding a level of realism. The major difference would be that, unlike almost all MMOs, you would lose such bonuses when you die and have to start from scratch, which would happen a lot.

Edited by kander

the mod proved it a thousand times that incresing ammo rarity wont stop the mindless killing.

If you only give people their bare hands, they'll kill each other with it in dayz, it's just how it is.

You can only reduce griefing by adding things that bored people can do after they're decked out, and that's it. Elektro will continue to be as it always have been, a killzone, just like the airfields and high loot areas.

Edited by lipemr

people love to kill ingame. just stop trying to stop it you cant. not without gimping the game until it resembles sims.

its a zombie survival game what do you expect ?