zombieland78

Where best to find a hatchet and maybe food?

I've come to realise that there's only one thing worse than having no weapon and that's having a shotgun. May as well be called zombie magnets.

But having recently figured out the hiding in the branches thing, I now appreciate the usefulness of a hatchet. But I can never find one. So I'm wondering where's the best place to come across one? or maybe there's a server that supplies you with one by default?

Also, since playing for around 12 hours now I've never once come across food. My last player simply died of hunger. Any tips there?

• Like 1

Food is basically everywhere, just head to big cities and you'll see what I mean. It's quite rediculous if you ask me. 

As for melee weapons, look in barns and sheds. With a bit of luck you can find a decent one pretty quick.

Cheers.

There's been a good few times though when I've seen a hatched in a barn that can't be picked up. Ever get that?

Oh and can I buy food anywhere? and if so how? I've seen places where you can buy weapons but died of starvation before finding out if they had food lol.

If you are on a server that sells stuff you are either playing Epoch or a custom server. If you are playing on a custom server, most likely but I am not sure. If you are playing on an Epoch server, yes there are a few places where you can buy food. They will be posted on the map!

Cheers.

There's been a good few times though when I've seen a hatched in a barn that can't be picked up. Ever get that?

It's sometimes hard to find the sweet spot of being able to pick it up. Never try picking it up in a hurry, it's always better to take a bit of time to get it out.

Hi Zombieland, welcome to the forums.  When you join a server run up the beach, keeping the water on your right side.  You eventually come to small villages and eventually big towns.  Your best bet for finding axes is barns brown wood ones or the long cream plastered barns. 

Never spawn in and run up hill away from the water.  You will find it hard to find food or drinks until you are knowledgeable of the map.

Food can be found in supermarkets, cafes, and houses.  If you find an axe, a hunting knife and matches you can hunt and kill animals and prepare your own steaks.

If you have any other questions just ask us. :thumbsup:

Cheers Sula.

So here's my next issue. I have the Chernarus map: dayzdb.com/map/chernarus

and I thought I'd use it as a guide for where to find food/medical supplies etc. and I started out around Cherno and ran up the coast and just finished up in Kamyshovo. Along the way I saw markings on the map (the hospital for example) but when I get there it's not even available to go inside. I knew that the mod didn't have many buildings you could enter but I thought it would have more than just a tiny amount. Pretty much 90% of the stuff on that map isn't available.

I did manage to employ the advice here in picking up the axe. I think it's because I have't had an empty slot for the axe to go in. Still never once found any food in my travels today. Also need to figure out how to find bandages if there are no hospitals to go in.

I play Epoch by the way. The End Days server.

Keep in mind that, although you cannot enter every building, some buildings have loot spawns outside (on doorsteps for instance). Thats why it shows they are lootable on that map, but not enterable as a building.  

Looking for food and drinks in general as well as backpacks, pistols + ammo, bandages, maps en compasses, the following buildings are your best bet among others (pictures taken from dayzdb.com map).

Grocery store

land_a_generalstore_01a.jpg

Office building (sometimes referred to as school)

land_a_office01.jpg

Pub building

land_a_pub_01.jpg

Orange residential building

land_housev2_02_interier.jpg

Red residential building

land_housev2_04_interier.jpg

Appartment building (can be a zombie death trap though since it only has one entrance)

land_panelak2.jpg

As far as the hospital goes, you said you couldn't enter it? You mean because of the glass windows? You can smash or shoot those. When shooting them though, make sure you shoot a few windows and not just one. I found that the glass won't break if you only shoot at one window instead of 2 or 3! Also, sometimes a box with medical supplies spawns at the backside of the hospital or at the roof. Might be worth checking out.

Edited by Salva
  • Like 3

Thanks again for the tips. I did only just find food on steps for the first time today actually. Well, a soda can.

Useful to know about shooting the windows in hospitals! 

• Like 1

Food can be scarce but if you reached Kamyshovo then you've passed both the big cities Cherno and Elektro (my personal favourite for everything - as there are some great loot spawns for everything in both cities, and many enterable buildings too). :thumbsup:

Edited by Sula