Sign in to follow this  
mpvp

4gb ram causes fps drops

Hello. I got frame drops in cities after couple minutes of playing.

PC specs:

Windows 8.1 x64 Professional

i5 2500k 4,5 GHz

Radeon HD 7950

SSD 120GB

4GB RAM - Single channel

I borrowed 4gb RAM for testing and it is the solution.

4GB RAM single channel causes fps drops to 5-10 fps while rotating camera.

8GB RAM dual channel no drops while rotating camera, game looks smoother.

So here is my question, is it possible to fix frame drops without buying another stick of ram? I would add that in both tests game consume the same amount of ram. Is it bandwidth or capacity problem?

This is not the fault of the system, I had the same problem with windows 7... 

It's not the amount of RAM, it's the single channel mode.

DayZ standalone is written for 32bit and can only address 4gb of memory total, including system RAM and GPU memory, however the engine and by extension the game is MUCH more sensitive to system memory bandwidth than any other game I've played, so effectively halving it by running single channel mode will have a crippling effect on performance.

• Like 1

Definitely the RAM running single channel is causing your performance hit.  Your good with windows 8 - performance reviews have shown that if anything windows 8 might yield a very small increase (1-2 FPS) in many games.  The problem most people have with windows 8 is they stripped away our traditional desktop management and replaced it with something more suitable for the mobile market - a mistake even microsoft is now acknowledging.  If you dont have a problem with it then your golden - its a solid gaming platform.   

Delete windows 8 and it should be just fine

Was that your jab at not liking windows 8.1?

If so, there's many more helpful things you could have posted instead of that...

Was that your jab at not liking windows 8.1?

If so, there's many more helpful things you could have posted instead of that...

Welcome to the internet.

Yes, the game runs only in the 32 bit space.

I usually recommend more RAM if you can afford it. You may see some increase as things built to actually run in 64 bit MIGHT start using addresses above the 32 bit range and free up some RAM for DayZ.

From the feedback I see from other technically minded users, though, I would not count on it.

I wonder if they've considered optimizing for 64 bit multicores? That just might be a good idea...

Welcome to the internet.

Yes, the game runs only in the 32 bit space.

I usually recommend more RAM if you can afford it. You may see some increase as things built to actually run in 64 bit MIGHT start using addresses above the 32 bit range and free up some RAM for DayZ.

From the feedback I see from other technically minded users, though, I would not count on it.

I wonder if they've considered optimizing for 64 bit multicores? That just might be a good idea...

They are but that will come when they start updating the graphics of the game. Multi-GPU, Multicore CPU, Hyper-Threading, and x64 is on the development map for when that time comes.

wtF? Delete that windows and it really should be fine, I was serious