I_Guts_I

Infected no more dangerous than pesty flies

I'm not here to shoot down the game. I'm here to make a constructive discussion.

If you don't like a wall of text I have summed up my points at the end of the post.

I have logged about 100 hours into DayZ and in those first 5 or so hours I was terrified of the zeds. After you learn they slow down in buildings, can be outran forever, and die from 1 shot from many guns then they just come off as bloody teddy bears that want a hug.

Point is that the only threat in DayZ (or at least to me when I play now) are players and the thought of dying from zeds never even crosses my mind now. This leads to the shoot on site mood in the game right now with so many players. People have no need to band together to defend and save their lives from zeds because they themselves never have problems with zeds. The only time they ever have to deal with Zeds is when they go on supply runs and always at all times know where the zeds are going to be. There is not fear in knowing where your enemy is at all times!

That being said if it changes or is adjusted like below then people might start to fear the zeds.

- More health/ More shots required to body to kill zed

(Hardcore option) In order to kill a Zed you must headshot it.

- Zed located in places other than where there is loot or towns. What about roadways with broke down cars!

- Make Zeds a little bit faster in buildings

- Infected have the potential to make the player Ill

- http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2604

I'll save the rest for the suggestion side of the forum but what is everyone's thoughts so far on the infected? Do they scare you? Do they make you laugh? Are they to easy or hard to kill?

I would like to know what the community thinks compared to my thoughts of the infected.

Summed Up:

Zombies are to small a part of the game and need to become feared and or harder to kill. This is why we see so many shoot on sights instead of band together to survive against the terrible infected that are a bitch to kill.

- More health/ More shots required to body to kill zed

(Hardcore option) In order to kill a Zed you must headshot it.

- Zed located in places other than where there is loot or towns. What about roadways with broke down cars!

- Make Zeds a little bit faster in buildings

- Infected have the potential to make the player Ill

- http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2604

You can only do that if you have a game progession or you'll just make the game more punitive to new / starting players. It's already tuned pretty high plus the threat of PvP/PK while they are still working stuff out.

The real problem is a good game would match progession of the zombie threat to the gear of the players and the rewards on offer. Hiding on the beach should have soft zombies because many players will be unarmed. The cities should be zombie death traps where only the well geared and organized venture to try for the best loot.

Day-Z may become that game, but it certainly isn't now.

Zombies only attack you if you get too close, make too much noise, etc. Then they have to get within melee range to take off 100-200 damage a hit, and maybe cause bleeding. Even if you're bleeding and being hit by 2 zombies, you still have a chance to run, or fight them off with the weakest of weapons.

On the other hand, one, other players can see you from a mile away, and shoot your from nearly that far. One, maybe two bullets from said player, and you're dead from 12000bp.

So, yes, unless you're impatient, the infected are no more dangerous than pesky flies.

- the whole running in a house thing to stop the sprint/zig zag attacks makes the game feel unpolished. if this is to be a stand alone game it must be eliminated.

- to balance this, zed shouldn't zig zag when outside.

- zed should remain quick

- zed should not stop for attack animation

- i agree zed HPs higher so more shots to body, still one shot to head.

- add more investigate triggers similar to tin cans throwing etc. like gunshot in distance

- increase their numbers in high value areas, like airfield/city

Yep, main problem of zeds - they way too predictable in combat. Outdoors just slowly step back and shoot at zeds that attacking air, sometimes it doesnt work due lags or its somehow fixed, but indoors its pretty easy to kill zeds.

There are also a problem - i have no problem killing zed, that attacking me, but its much harder to kill zed that attacking someone else, it takes more bullets to kill zed and even clear headshots dont work.

Maybe more types of zeds would do, depending on territory. Now there are different skins, but what if they would have special abilities. For example:

- grabbers - have special attack - grab during that they dont damage survivor, but making him incapable of shooting or running, so its like knocking down attack similar to now, but with higher chance, and less duration and damage to survivor during knockout.

- some of military zeds have bulletproof vests - resistant to body hits

- some of military/police zeds on north faster than other types or have some way to damage/grab running player

- some of crawling zeds should remain fast indoors

- some of north or city zeds highly infectious and will infect players who got too close to its body even after death of zed. These zeds should be slower, but solo camping in buildings will be more dangerous due these stinky zeds.

So idea is about making more stronger types of zeds at north and making knocked down survivors more resistant to zeds attacks so your partners could save you in time.

- the whole running in a house thing to stop the sprint/zig zag attacks makes the game feel unpolished. if this is to be a stand alone game it must be eliminated.

- to balance this' date=' zed shouldn't zig zag when outside.

- zed should remain quick

- zed should not stop for attack animation

- i agree zed HPs higher so more shots to body, still one shot to head.

- add more investigate triggers similar to tin cans throwing etc. like gunshot in distance

- increase their numbers in high value areas, like airfield/city

[/quote']

As of 1.7 Zeds investigate ALL sounds, that is eating food, drinking, especially gunshots.

Saw some dick "elite pvp'er" that said when he was hiding in a bush on a hill sniping ppl in elektro, a few zombies walked over to where his position was after shots being fired.

(They walked from a long way down "in town" up to the hill since they heard something coming from that direction)

Summed Up:

Various Suggestions that have been never made or are actually already implemented.

Holding out in a building if you are getting swarmed may not always be your best choice, they can destroy some of them and then you are fuxored as well.

Summed Up:

Various Suggestions that have been never made or are actually already implemented.

Holding out in a building if you are getting swarmed may not always be your best choice' date=' they can destroy some of them and then you are fuxored as well.

[/quote']

That's true but you need not be in a building to kill the zombies. You can just back up outside and wait for their hit animation to play then shot them without being harmed for how it goes right now in alpha. I understand this and is one of the reasons why i never put it in my post because it probably is already being worked on.

We had super zeds and people went through the roof.

I do however think some more variety in zed types and zed density could be more engaging.

In an old OFP user mission there was a script that forced the player prone and dragged him along the ground a few feet. It was supposed to be a ghost doing it, but on here couldnt a zed do that by scripting?

Im not sure how/if it pulls too much resource but I imagine its doable to a degree.

We had super zeds and people went through the roof.

I do however think some more variety in zed types and zed density could be more engaging.

In an old OFP user mission there was a script that forced the player prone and dragged him along the ground a few feet. It was supposed to be a ghost doing it' date=' but on here couldnt a zed do that by scripting?

Im not sure how/if it pulls too much resource but I imagine its doable to a degree.

[/quote']

I don't remember super zeds. I remember them having a very fast spawn rate but never the zombies themselves got upped.

I agree with that. I would like to see some Possum zombies that seem dead but are not and such.

Apparently you've never played alone and had a zed break your leg without any morphine or no access to a hospital/medical supplies. Now change the scenario and say you only have a lee enfield...

Have fun at the coast!

SUMMED UP: Your game experience isn't the same as everyone else's. Making things "harder" isn't necessarily the right option for a majority of players.

SUMMED UP: Your game experience isn't the same as everyone else's. Making things "harder" isn't necessarily the right option for a majority of players.

OMFG this!

Monkey crawlers attack down low so they should be only zombie to break legs.That makes em slow but deadly.Fast runners swing at arms/head so broken arms and maybe concussions.

Plus there should be a bite attack and icon(slowly gets red and then u a zombie!!) when bitten that transfers the virus.Should happen by chance as you would fight with your life to prevent it.Maybe get infected yourself if you do not take antibiotics in a set time.

Apparently you've never played alone and had a zed break your leg without any morphine or no access to a hospital/medical supplies. Now change the scenario and say you only have a lee enfield...

Have fun at the coast!

I played alone for my first 50 hours until I joined a group. That breaking your leg is the only scenario where zeds are dangerous. Hell on my first day playing My leg was broken and I bled out.

If I only have a lee enfield then you just use your pistol, out of pistol ammo use a melee weapon. The winchester is more common than the lee and the M1911 is pretty common as well. I would say more than the lee and those both 1 hit zombies.

For your harder isn't the right option statement.

I will admit I am talking purely about the veteran players for what do you do when you no longer have to fear zed? As the game stands it is great for new players and great for the learning curve but after you become a veteran the zombies become a joke.

Yes you must think of new players but how long is it until that new player gains all the knowledge they need to make the zombies big teddy bears as well? The new players are being thought of, but what about the veteran players?

I think you're looking at the issue from your highly geared perspective. Flatly increasing zombie damage/health only serves to make new player runs harder than they should be. (By that I mean a person should survive mainly based on their will, cunning, and patience, not that there were extremely lucky to spawn near a barn with AKM and mags.)

A more thoughtful approach needs implementation so that it still challenges the high geared players without snuffing out any chance for someone new. Don't restrict without giving options.

For example, making matches limited would force even the most outfitted groups to raid bases and towns to recover matches/food to ward off starvation, risking them to Zed or human intervention. But this doesn't necessarily impact the new player as heavily since they are likely living from bean can to bean can.

Zombies are just window-dressing, they shouldn't always be the go-to modifier when determining difficulty. Higher level players tend to survive longer because they don't need to take risks that the lower/fresh players need to.

I think you're looking at the issue from your highly geared perspective. Flatly increasing zombie damage/health only serves to make new player runs harder than they should be. (By that I mean a person should survive mainly based on their will' date=' cunning, and patience, not that there were extremely lucky to spawn near a barn with AKM and mags.)

A more thoughtful approach needs implementation so that it still challenges the high geared players without snuffing out any chance for someone new. Don't restrict without giving options.

For example, making matches limited would force even the most outfitted groups to raid bases and towns to recover matches/food to ward off starvation, risking them to Zed or human intervention. But this doesn't necessarily impact the new player as heavily since they are likely living from bean can to bean can.

Zombies are just window-dressing, they shouldn't always be the go-to modifier when determining difficulty. Higher level players tend to survive longer because they don't need to take risks that the lower/fresh players need to.

[/quote']

Fully agree. Zombies are pretty easy to deal with once your geared up. Once geared up not only do you be i na lot less confrontations but when you do have zeds after you the guns you have can easily deal with them.

On the other hand when you are newly spawned they are quite difficult and annoying. I found out that 3 hits from a zed and bleeding for like 5/10 seconds = health going from 12,000 to below 10,000, sure this is no problem when your geared as you can just cook some meat, but when your new each blood point matters and losing that much does affect you. plus with the change of you bleeding within the first 5 hits from a zed once you spawned being at like 90% it gets even more tougher and don't forget that you can break your bones easily. It does get difficult depending on how long you go with out a primary or secondary. Sometimes your lucky and find a gun straight away, other times not.

Once your geared up zeds are supposed to be not much of a threat, or else why gear up in the first place? why find all these items? If you find it annoying that you can kill zeds easily with such good gear then loose it all and restart, very good challenge.

Getting zombies into a house and killing them is a bit easy i will admit, maybe make then a little faster inside but then again with the way zeds re-spawn sometimes, you can have like 3 zeds after you, kill them and then 10 or more come out of nowhere ( i was using a makarov...)

I think you're looking at the issue from your highly geared perspective. Flatly increasing zombie damage/health only serves to make new player runs harder than they should be. (By that I mean a person should survive mainly based on their will' date=' cunning, and patience, not that there were extremely lucky to spawn near a barn with AKM and mags.)

[/quote']

I can agree with that making people go raid for supplies more to risk instead of increasing zombie health. I also want players to survive based on their intellect and adaptive skills rather than luck. I don't see how you think making the zombies have more health would affect that with a one hit headshot still being used they will not need an ak.

"Zombies are window-dressing." That's exactly what I'm talking about. With that statement you are saying they are not that big of a deal and not a big part of the threat. Its a zombie apocalypse where the zombies are suppose to be causing the apocalypse.

I'm sorry but I'm not thinking the game is being geared to only my view. I'm purely thinking about when a player is experienced and knows how to get gear and survive as a new player and to get past zombies with no problem because of how minimal a threat they are with their knowledge. The only thing on their mind with such a small threat compared to players causes all players to be more hostile to other players.

Yes the game needs to accommodate to everyone but the starting of a new life should not be a cakewalk. It should be the hardest part of the game and that's what makes getting geared up and surviving so damn rewarding.

I'm talking about progression and giving a since of urgency and threat to all level of players. The thing is I just wish we had more fear towards the zeds than just purely players.

Maybe this comes off as a anti-pvp vibe from me but I welcome that into the game, but the whole survival part is being taken out when we don't have a problem surviving against the zeds and they just become an afterthought.

I'm all for more danger from zombies IF and only if they fix how buggy they are.

1. When they aggro, they are zipping around at supersonic speeds and teleporting.

2. They often aggro when they should not (I've been perfectly still, prone, not breathing loudly, full health and not bleeding, and yet a zombie well over 100 in distance away suddenly comes running straight for me).

3. They fix the "spawning as you combat them" issue. If I am in a location and see 5 zombies, I should be able to make a tactical plan to take out the 5 zombies. Currently, the moment they move or die, suddenly more and more and more spawn in instantly and join the fight. I had no zombie kills and was in a barn with a friend. I already scouted the place and there were 4 zombies that were "in range". One zombie saw/heard my friend through a wall. I took it down, and then zombie after zombie after zombie showed up. I was up the stairs and was taking them out one by one as they ran up the stairs. My friend wasn't so lucky and had a broken leg afterwards. After the whole ordeal, I had 18 zombie kills and he had 12. 4 zombies turned into 30 zombies.

4. They also have lag death declaration. You'll kill a zombie, but they'll continue attacking and pounding on you for about 2-5 seconds before falling over dead.

If those issues are corrected, then yes, zombie buffs would be welcome.

I look forward to a new engine where zombies have weight to them. Getting tackled and having to push an infected off of you would be fairly tense.