Sign in to follow this  
hannibaldaplaya

Despite Night's flaws, it can produce good experiences!

Me and my friend decided to camp out in a chicken coop in the middle of the woods during the night. We lit it up with a gas lamp, and sat there, talking about stuff.

Eventually, we went outside to look around, and my friend notices a silhouette in the darkness.

He tells me to act normal, and then he pulls up his flashlight and shines it on a fellow prone in the grass, watching us.

Thankfully, he has no gun out, and he gets up, talks to us, asks if we have rope so he can make a bow, and we do some trading.

We don't have his rope, but we have ammunition for the double rifle on his back, so I give him 4 rounds. Giving him any more would be too risky. In return, he gives me a PU scope for my Mosin.

8cJGl.jpg

Night has its flaws. It is way too dark, the flashlight and head torch are frustratingly inefficient and not realistic at all, but there are still things you can do at night in DayZ that you can't at day.

Hopefully, when night is playable, and we all pull our flashlights out in glee and can see without utter tunnel vision, we can have more of these moments.

The guy hid in the darkness and watched us for around 10 - 15 minutes. I wish we were using direct communication instead of steam, he would have heard us talking about why I hunt and all this other stuff that we were discussing at the time.

• Like 7

Just come off and have nearly crapped my pants quite a few times lol! Ahhh man this reminds me when i first started playing the DayZ mod, all we need now are flares :)

I personally hope they keep night the way it is. Wandering around in the middle of nowhere (IRL) without a flashlight is supposed to be PITCH BLACK DARKNESS. 

+1 for Authenticity.

• Like 1

Awesome. I didn't necessarily have a night-time meet up like you, but I experienced the night alone and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I was at Krasnostav looting as the sun was setting and night was coming. As darkness came, I was trying to head to Devil's Castle but I couldn't see very well. I climbed up a radio tower that I happened upon by accident. Climbed up it and saw the silhouette of a castle. Maybe I'm not so bad of a navigator after all, I thought.

I approached the castle only to find it was Black Castle (West of Krasnostav). As I climbed to the top with my flashlight, I realized the fog was too dense to travel at night without getting lost in those vast forests. So I turned off my flashlight, sat down and waited for day to break.

The second the sun shined, I started moving, setting out to go to my original destination, Devil's Castle. Sun rises in the east, sets in the west was my compass. I was running along some railroad tracks for what seemed forever. The sun was beginning to set and I knew if I wanted to make it to Devil's Castle, I had to find a landmark soon. I ran inland and  I happened upon a small village known as Gvozdno.

But darkness had already set in by the time I got there. I turned on my flashlight, read the sign's name and found out where I was. But, I'm not sure what direction is which anymore without the sun to aid me. That's when I looked up into the stars, found the big dipper and from there found the North Star. I then proceeded west and it wasn't long until I could see Devil's Castle silhouette against the night sky.

Once I made it there, I climbed up to the top and looked at the darkened landscape. Impressed with my navigating, I rewarded myself with some well-deserved food.

I can't wait for campfires :).

Edited by Acebane
  • Like 5

Awesome. I didn't necessarily have a night-time meet up like you, but I experienced the night alone and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I was at Krasnostav looting as the sun was setting and night was coming. As darkness came, I was trying to head to Devil's Castle but I couldn't see very well. I climbed up a radio tower that I happened upon by accident. Climbed up it and saw the silhouette of a castle. Maybe I'm not so bad of a navigator after all, I thought.

I approached the castle only to find it was Black Castle (West of Krasnostav). As I climbed to the top with my flashlight, I realized the fog was too dense to travel at night without getting lost in those vast forests. So I turned off my flashlight, sat down and waited for day to break.

The second the sun shined, I started moving, setting out to go to my original destination, Devil's Castle. Sun rises in the east, sets in the west was my compass. I was running along some railroad tracks for what seemed forever. The sun was beginning to set and I knew if I wanted to make it to Devil's Castle, I had to find a landmark soon. I ran inland and  I happened upon a small village known as Gvozdno.

But darkness had already set in by the time I got there. I turned on my flashlight, read the sign's name and found out where I was. But, I'm not sure what direction is which anymore without the sun to aid me. That's when I looked up into the stars, found the big dipper and from there found the North Star. I then proceeded west and it wasn't long until I could see Devil's Castle silhouette against the night sky.

Once I made it there, I climbed up to the top and looked at the darkened landscape. Impressed with my navigating, I rewarded myself with some well-deserved food.

I can't wait for campfires :).

I'll give you some extra beans for your late-night meal :P

I can't wait for night to come back.  It gets my adrenaline pumping so much when I see a flashlight or multiple flashlights up ahead.

I'm not being funny but if people don't like night time in DayZ then they really shouldn't be playing it! Again i've just come off and it just adds so much more to the experience, even the difference in the weather and clouds/sun etc when it's kinda light brings a different atmosphere to the game.

Excellent and keep up the good work!

I have the highest hopes for nighttime in this game as well. But there is no going around the fact they need to fix gamma exploit before it is viable in any way, and it should be viable. A zombie game without nighttime is just ridiculous (and that is unfortunately what it is at the moment, with no public recognition of this problem from the devs).