Tomo2000uk

whats changed since this ?

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

star_big.png
POPULAR

There is a great deal of topics dealing with this, so I thought I would confirm what we will definately be doing, and give some background why they are not in yet. List not exhaustive and will be added too as time allows.

More Zombies

Target delivery: Ongoing     NOPE

We absolutely plan to have more zombies. To cope with the current total dynamic entity count of over 10000 we have had to make a great deal of optimizations. If loot is completely removed, we can easily run 4000 zombies in our debug builds. In the new year we will be optimizing the way we handle dynamic objects (such as loot) a great deal more which should give us significant savings - but the change was considered too risky to be done prior to alpha launch. If we had problems, we would have delayed the project further by months.

Multithreaded Server   

Target delivery: Early 2014 & Ongoing    NOPE

To assist with increasing player and zombie numbers, we will be parallelizing the server architecture. Currently RV does offload some extra threads off to other cores, but this is for rendering and file handling - neither of which are issues for the dedicated server which uses no rendering and has a greatly reduced file footprint. This should provide some very, very dramatic improvement in performance where additional cores are available. Note, however, that this will increase the complexity of hosting DayZ - it may mean that we see a greater dispersion in the capacities of DayZ servers.

Respawning Zombies & Loot

Target Delivery: Early 2014      NOPE

Currently to have the server check if something needs respawning can cause an issue with performance. We did not want to go with a "scripted" solution for respawning, and it is expensive on server performance. Player spawning on the coast is conducted by the engine, and we are going to employ a similar process for managing zombie and loot spawn (possibly parallelized). This is a high priority task and zombie respawn at least is very close to being implemented.

Server Management Options

Target Delivery: Ongoing      NOPE

Additional options for those hosting servers will be rolled out as soon as we can. We want to encourage a "hardcore" mode that will operate on a separate database, featuring things like first person only, no hide body, etc... In addition, we also want to provide passworded servers that will operate on their own shard of the database. This shard could be grouped, so that a group of passworded servers could operate on their own database. Eventually, we would like to see these different communities on their own db running their own variations of DayZ to meet specific communities needs.

Animals & Hunting

Target Delivery: Early 2014     NOPE

The AI for animals is based on the new AI for zombies (some will notice the old local ambient animals making zombie noises and acting aggressively!). We have a cutdown version of this we will be using for hosting animals, including those from ArmA2 as well as new animals such as a deer. We already have the meat models made, and we have the basics of cooking. So this functionality is quite close. It does have an impact on the server, and at the moment we could only run about 300 animals per server without seriously impacting performance (until we have started additional server optimization).

Additional Anti-hack and Security

Target Delivery: Late 2013      NOPE

We are working on additional anti-hack to supplement the implementation of VAC. We have been working closely with Valve for VAC as well as our other anti-hack partner. Details of this will be released shortly. The most important thing to remember is that anti-hack is really the secondary defense - the primary defense should be good architecture. We have already identified (and fixed) several key vulnerabilities in the three days since launch. There are more we know about and I am sure more we don't. The purpose of this early phase of alpha is to identify and fix those. As our architecture now relies on the server controlling and adjudicating everything, we can close off locally controlled functions and back doors - which is what we have been doing.

Cooking & Gathering Resources

Target Delivery: Early 2014     NOPE

This is a system that was not completed prior to the alpha launch so is half-done. Additional work will be done and pushed when we can. This will include gas cookers (already ingame) and the creation of fireplaces. We will be allowing players to gather resources from the world, such as firewood, stones, etc... This will then be utilized by the existing crafting system.

This is Deans own update from December 2013.

This is not a rant / direct dig at Dean or the studio.

i would like a serious discussion as to why 99% of the above has not been realized and its past early 2014.

My question is what changed ???

can anyone shine any light on the complexities they have faced when trying to implement the above.

I would like quality answers to the questions i post. As a lover of the Mod and a contributor to the Standalone if there are any answers i would like to hear them

Again MODS this isn't a rant etc.

Edited by Tomo2000uk

Take a look at the changelogs mate. You can find everything there.

Well id say the update we are waiting on will be handling some of that. Its gonna have cooking and animals if I remember. So that's 2 things off that list. Iv had to accept battleye ToS popup a couple of times so theres the additional anti-hack going in periodicly. The simple zombie respawn mechanic is already in and im sure iv seen wood piles around, and stones, gathering resorses.

I think they have made a start on most of it, when the new update hits most of that list could be done save a couple of things. That's a hearty list, and zombies is described as "ongoing", but rocket did say on rezzed thing that the new team were a lot closer than he hoped nav meshing the world....that was very good to hear (lets not forget how big of a world Chernarus is). Id save judging this list till the update drops as it may take care of a lot of it :)

My thoughts are the scope of upgrading the engine was a little more than they expected.  I could be totally wrong, but idk.  Also, I swear I was on experimental the other day and a zombie actually used a doorway to follow me into a house, and it didn't take a nice refreshing dip in the floor.

• Like 2

I figure one the complexities were that they were hoping for 250,000 sales in the first three months and ended up selling 1,800,000 copies in the same period. This has allowed them to expand the team vastly, but since new people have to be introduced and trained to the engine, even success comes with it's own set of challenges.

When playing the Standalone, I often compare it to playing the mod. Like the mod, you play from update to update and sometimes a patch decreased the zombie threat, other patches set to zombie threat to Defcon Holocaust. If you played DayZ mod throughout the different development stages, you'll find that the development stages of the Standalone are similar and if you could get used to it in the mod, it should be easy to adapt to the Standalone too.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

I figure one the complexities were that they were hoping for 250,000 sales in the first three months and ended up selling 1,800,000 copies in the same period. This has allowed them to expand the team vastly, but since new people have to be introduced and trained to the engine, even success comes with it's own set of challenges.

When playing the Standalone, I often compare it to playing the mod. Like the mod, you play from update to update and sometimes a patch decreased the zombie threat, other patches set to zombie threat to Defcon Holocaust. If you played DayZ mod throughout the different development stages, you'll find that the development stages of the Standalone are similar and if you could get used to it in the mod, it should be easy to adapt to the Standalone too.

That's right. I believe that could be the case. I can see the standalone having a lot more potential now with a bigger development team than the mod and decreased limitations within the engine. It's been 4 months and the only way the standalone is going is up with it's content and bug fixes.

Yeah, i'd really give them a little time here. I think the next update is going to be a bit of a big one. I think that it can only escalate with the new team added and the coming patches throughout the summer.

There's a lot of things that the OP mentions that are already in place but I do think that a good start is to watch the roadmap video from Rezzed. I think that video answers a lot of questions the OP has because it seems that they haven't seen it.

It is still Q1(early 2014), albeit getting to the end but we have been told an update to Stable will be by the end of April at the latest. The features of the next update; by the looks of it; covers a lot of what is mentioned in the OP.

As far as security features go VAC and BE work together as anti hacks but from what I understand the bans come in waves and are not immediate.

Server management is still a bit lacking but is there in a basic form as of now.

There's a lot of things that the OP mentions that are already in place but I do think that a good start is to watch the roadmap video from Rezzed. I think that video answers a lot of questions the OP has because it seems that they haven't seen it.

It is still Q1(early 2014), albeit getting to the end but we have been told an update to Stable will be by the end of April at the latest. The features of the next update; by the looks of it; covers a lot of what is mentioned in the OP.

As far as security features go VAC and BE work together as anti hacks but from what I understand the bans come in waves and are not immediate.

Server management is still a bit lacking but is there in a basic form as of now.

We are in Q2 now.
  • Like 2

We are in Q2 now.

Heh my bad but still, it is early 2014.

But financial years do vary from country to country, correct?

Edited by R.Neville

The only thing that really worries me about the video presentation and i had seen it before is Dean mentions the Loot as a sort of passing comment doesn't really get to grips with it.

" we've decided to look at dividing the world into quadrants and then when a quadrant is empty for a set amount of time resetting it "

2 things worry me

1) (We've decided to look at) - implies this is in very early (if at all) development at the time of this presentation.

2) Quadrants that are empty ? what if you have campers in a particular area etc and there are so many other what ifs to mention that could break that system / render it useless. Why not something similar to the mod, albeit minus loot farming.

I wine allot on this site mainly because i don't think in the 2 years the game was in closed development much time was spent re-imagining the basic core features which hold this title together like loot.

i questions deans priorities and im not alone on this.

Why at this stage Q2 ,  do we not have any solid plan / foundation for the spawning of loot.

Having opted into an open Alpha i feel we should get regular updates on the state of the core features,

and fixing the loot takes priority over the zombie animation.

I know player numbers are a factor but come on he knew how many Arma 2 sales the mod generated.

Their worrying about building sky lights on a house with no foundations

Again , no rant , but im interested in talking about these things and i don't think the change logs etc answer all the questions.

Edited by Tomo2000uk
  • Like 2