SmashT

A very busy couple of weeks for the whole team has just ended....

A very busy couple of weeks for the whole team has just ended. Everyone has been preparing for our next big update, scheduled for sometime this month. Some highlights outlined in this post.

Guaranteed Updates

As previously mentioned we want to move from the current situation where the client and server “spam” messages at each other, hoping that some of the messages get through. Because they can’t be sure, the updates have to be sent again and again. This is believed to be the major restriction from breaking the 100 player limit. We anticipate this will be appearing on experimental servers next week, and then onward into the update for this month.

Fireplaces

We’re ready now for our final implementation next week of fireplaces and the ability to light flammable objects on fire. Many visual updates and changes to the engine have occurred as part of this and we’re now making the mechanisms for players to decide where and how to make fires and how to light items on fire.

Physics and Throwing

We will be deploying this to experimental next week to gain some more feedback on its implementation. Progress on ragdoll has been steady although this is unlikely to be in experimental next week and will be ongoing for some time. A new animation system and animations have been made that allow you to “power” up your throw, the same system is used to allow you to draw your arrow when firing from the bow.

Player Mouse Control

Many players have outlined how much the mouse acceleration/controls need to be modified. Players head (view) will move instantly with raw 1:1 mouse feedback. Weapons may “lag behind” depending on how heavy and cumbersome the weapon is. For example, players with a pistol will be able to turn around and fire much faster than a player with a M4, or a chainsaw.

This represented a great deal of work and the complete replacement of the old system, therefore some bugs and plenty of tweaking are expected.

These will be deployed to experimental next week for more player feedback.

From the Art Team: Chris Torchia, Lead Artist

We’ve got our team working in so many different areas its hard to write a small summary of all the work.  

We’re wrapping up our part with archery and have a nice looking improvised bow and crossbow to release soon. Our animators have been spending time in the mocap studio to get accurate drawing, firing, and reloading animations for them and its looking great.  

Our new studio in Bratislava has been hard at work making some of the new food items which were shown by Dean at Rezzed as well as create all new wildlife models and we’re hoping the combination of archery, wildlife, and campfires will create a unique survival hunting experience for our players.

As for firearms, the P1 pistol is complete and configured in game. The same is true for the AKM but we need to spend some time polishing some of the rough edges before adding them to the loot tables and pushing to public. We’re finally going to implement stripper clips with the mosin and sweep through and tweek some of the firearm cfg values. As well, a little project I’ve kept under wraps is nearing completion. The first SMG in DayZ game will soon be ready and I hope you all will like it.

For character art our talented artists have created a couple new player heads for more unique looking characters which we’ll add in soon.  As well, we’ve made a Soviet-style officer hat and the tracksuit!  Next up, we’ll look at police, EMT, and firefighters.

Lastly, our environment art and map teams have continued to create new, interesting buildings and objects, as well as expanding the number of explorable towns, with the addition of Karmanovka – a town containing over 3000 objects!

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o10_1280.png

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3illhxanF1rd90z0o6_1280.jpg

View on Tumblr

• Like 30

Is this new town right here?

BK9DNmv.jpg

If so.. That's sad that you add new towns and villages only at north-east. I would like to see new big town on the north-west. Where is too much empty areas.

• Like 2

I've seen a Train/bus depot just west of NWAF.

Im looking forward to the bows/crossbows and physics c:<

I think they just added something to the north west.

what is it you think they have added , and are you talking about on experimental? 

Is this new town right here?

BK9DNmv.jpg

If so.. That's sad that you add new towns and villages only at north-east. I would like to see new big town on the north-west. Where is too much empty areas.

No, that's Chernaia-Polana (or similar name) and has been added weeks ago.

Experimental now does not feature the new town they were talking about in this devblog. Will be added to experimental with the next patch (according to these sources), experimental has not been updated yet.

And, as for the post above me, yes...there is an unfinished town (almost nothing in) with no name in the NW, where the railroads end. I saw it in the 0.42 when it was on experimental, so it should be on stable now.

To the readers: please remember that this is the old devblog, not the new one people are waiting for :)

Nice that the forum staff decided to copy & collect all the devblogs in one section on the forums.

Edited by Gugolas
  • Like 3

No, that's Chernaia-Polana (or similar name) and has been added weeks ago.

Experimental now does not feature the new town they were talking about in this devblog. Will be added to experimental with the next patch (according to these sources), experimental has not been updated yet.

And, as for the post above me, yes...there is an unfinished town (almost nothing in) with no name in the NW, where the railroads end. I saw it in the 0.42 when it was on experimental, so it should be on stable now.

To the readers: please remember that this is the old devblog, not the new one people are waiting for :)

Nice that the forum staff decided to copy & collect all the devblogs in one section on the forums.

Thats not Chernaya Polana. Its the triangle one under the red circle.

Really excited for the animals. Wanna cook up some pork :P

• Like 2

What I don't understand is how this thread had to wait 11 days for the first comment...

What I don't understand is how this thread had to wait 11 days for the first comment...

The topic and forum section didn't exist before today, topics are dated when they were published to tumblr and all future devblogs will have topics created here automatically when they are published there (well within 30 minutes or so).

• Like 1

The topic and forum section didn't exist before today, topics are dated when they were published to tumblr and all future devblogs will have topics created here automatically when they are posted. (well within 30 minutes or so)

Thanks for the explanation.

I thought my browser had invented time travel...

The next week has taken longer but when those updates hit it will be awesome.

Also cool that we can talk about the devblogs again :)

Oh boy, I want to shoot some arrows on the knees!

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for an arrow in the knee.

Anyways, I'm psyched, this next update is gonna be epic sauce!

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

I've seen a Train/bus depot just west of NWAF.

Im looking forward to the bows/crossbows and physics c:<

what is it you think they have added , and are you talking about on experimental? 

This train/bus depot have been there since 2013, i think Rocket even played there in hes stream before the realse of early access.

I was talking about this place:

30m8f1i.png

But i have not been there, so im not sure if this exists in stabel or experimental

• Like 1

But i have not been there, so im not sure if this exists in stabel or experimental

I was there. It's already in current stable for about few weeks. Gallery of this village: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156341-lets-post-some-screen-shots-standalone/page-42#entry1866577

Edited by wickedwicked

This train/bus depot have been there since 2013, i think Rocket even played there in hes stream before the realse of early access.

I was talking about this place:

30m8f1i.png

That's in stable. I went there a couple of days ago, not much loot or any zeds though.

Thanks for the correction then, I believed it was the opposite.

I'm not familiar with the new town names, I have to learn them :)

Great updates.. I can't wait to try them out when they're released, I haven't played for weeks now..

Yeah that new village is already up there. There really isn't much as far as loot buildings right now and for some reason the frames are terrible. Could be the start of something bigger though?