tatchell (DayZ)

What are the most popular VoIP programs for DayZ?

Most popular VoIP software for SA?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What VoIP software do you use?

• Team Speak
    • Mumble
    • Ventrilo
    • Steam Voice Chat
    • Google+ Hangout
    • Other
    • None

TS is the most common one, but i use Skype.

People would just use the mute switch on their mic/headset or disable it on a per-app basis for DayZ, and still use third party comms.

Absolutely there are any number of fixes to circumvent the mirroring however those lazy would not bother.

That alone is worth it.

Absolutely there are any number of fixes to circumvent the mirroring however those lazy would not bother.

That alone is worth it.

For the benefit of everyone else I don't want to keep repeating myself, but I'll still only bother using in-game comms when there's some form of 'whisper mode' or hand signals.

That alone is worth it.

Not necessarily. The time it would actually take to develop a system for that isn't worth it.

The majority of people who play seriously probably would circumvent it, the casual people who didn't would hardly be affected by it and aren't really solving anything.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I seriously doubt there will ever come a day when ANY game's in-game VOIP will be superior enough to a 3rd party VOIP that it would be worth not having 3rd party in the first place. Not to mention, it will be a cold day in hell before I rely exclusively on in-game VOIP over 3rd party, whether the game attempts to force it or not.

The flexibility just isn't there with in-game VOIP, and never will be. Not until the TS devs get into game design, anyhow.

I don't know why there is this myth about TeamSpeak costing money, I used to believe it myself before I actually checked it out because it was one of those things people banded about so much. I think it only costs money if you're using it for a business (which probably explains why server companies charge through the nose for slots).

You do not need to pay anything to run your own TeamSpeak server, the server software is a 6MB executable you can download for nothing.

If you or a friend run the server on your computer you don't need to pay for slots, the server uses practically no system resources and only needs about 5KB/s of bandwidth for each person using it.

Your wrong.

Unlicensed use of TeamSpeak 2 is limited to ten virtual servers with up to 1000 combined slots,

while unlicensed use of TeamSpeak 3 is limited to one virtual server with up to 32 slots. 

This means that as soon as you start needing more slots or more servers your going to have to pay.

Edited by Massacre

Your wrong.

Unlicensed use of TeamSpeak 2 is limited to ten virtual servers with up to 1000 combined slots,

while unlicensed use of TeamSpeak 3 is limited to one virtual server with up to 32 slots. 

This means that as soon as you start needing more slots or more servers your going to have to pay.

There's always one. :rolleyes: I said "you do not need to pay anything to run your own TeamSpeak server", nothing you have said contradicts that. If you need more than 32 slots, which is an incredible amount and not far from the server player cap in the first place, then you should already be looking at dedicated hosting for the bandwidth alone.

Since you want to play silly fuckers and be pedantic, it's "you're" not "your". <_<

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 1

There's always one. :rolleyes: I said "you do not need to pay anything to run your own TeamSpeak server", nothing you have said contradicts that. If you need more than 32 slots, which is an incredible amount and not far from the server player cap in the first place, then you should already be looking at dedicated hosting for the bandwidth alone.

Since you want to play silly fuckers and be pedantic, it's "you're" not "your". <_<

32 slots isn't a lot at all for most clans nor does it take a incredible amount of bandwidth and the player cap sits somewhere at 100 players per TS server not 32.

The point remains that if you want to run a TS server for more then 32 people you need a license which costs money as opposed to mumble which is free and scales up a lot better.

As for the rest of your remark. English isn't my first language thus commenting on my spelling just makes you look childish.

32 slots isn't a lot at all for most clans nor does it take a incredible amount of bandwidth and the player cap sits somewhere at 100 players per TS server not 32.

The point remains that if you want to run a TS server for more then 32 people you need a license which costs money as opposed to mumble which is free and scales up a lot better.

As for the rest of your remark. English isn't my first language thus commenting on my spelling just makes you look childish.

You're still being nothing but pedantic, go back and read what I said: "You do not need to pay anything to run your own TeamSpeak server". I didn't mention slots, I didn't mention the limits on how many servers you can run, these are post-hoc justifications for your pedantry and you haven't come up with one reason that statement was actually inaccurate in any way and you know it, which is why you're continuing to argue and nit-pick. Believe me, you can't nit-pick a nit-picker.

If you prefer Mumble that is not relevant to me in any way, do what you want, but my post was simply in response to the common myth that hosting TeamSpeak costs money. It is a widespread myth that even I used to believe, as I said in my original post (but now I'm wondering if you actually read it).

As for the player cap, you misunderstood me. I was not talking about the player cap for a TeamSpeak server, I was talking about the player cap for a DayZ server. As for bandwidth requirements, you're right in that TeamSpeak doesn't use a lot of bandwidth but DayZ does and you might run in to bandwidth issues hosting for 32 people on the same home network you're playing the game on, and even if you don't you're probably setting yourself up for desync due to the I/O and port spam.

Yes, my correction of your spelling was childish. It was intended to be. If someone addresses me in a childish manner I will do precisely the same.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

You're still being nothing but pedantic, go back and read what I said: "You do not need to pay anything to run your own TeamSpeak server". I didn't mention slots, I didn't mention the limits on how many servers you can run, these are post-hoc justifications for your pedantry and you haven't come up with one reason that statement was actually inaccurate in any way and you know it, which is why you're continuing to argue and nit-pick. Believe me, you can't nit-pick a nit-picker.

As for the player cap, you misunderstood me. I was not talking about the player cap for a TeamSpeak server, I was talking about the player cap for a DayZ server.

Yes, my correction of your spelling was childish. It was intended to be. If someone addresses me in a childish manner I will do precisely the same.

Only the DayZ server limit has nothing to do with it my TS server has channels for EVE-Online, DayZ standalone, Dayz Epoch ect. The simple fact is that if you want to run a TS server for more then 32 people you'll have to pay plain and simple. Thats the only thing I said. Now you can go on bitching about it but that doesnt change the fact that those are the stats taken from the TS site itself, as opposed to mumble which is opensource and compleetly free regardless of how many servers or people you have on it.

Edited by Massacre

Only the DayZ server limit has nothing to do with it my TS server has channels for EVE-Online, DayZ standalone, Dayz Epoch ect. The simple fact is that if you want to run a TS server for more then 32 people you'll have to pay plain and simple. Thats the only thing I said. Now you can go on bitching about it but that doesnt change the fact that those are the stats taken from the TS site itself, as opposed to mumble which is opensource and compleetly free regardless of how many servers or people you have on it.

I have tried explaining how your argument has nothing to do with my post, but you still continue to defend your point as if I am arguing against it. What is wrong with you? I don't know if you simply misunderstand me, or if I have triggered some sort of Stallman-esque open source fanboy behaviour by simply pointing out that hosting TeamSpeak doesn't cost money.

I have tried explaining how your argument has nothing to do with my post, but you still continue to defend your point as if I am arguing against it. What is wrong with you? I don't know if you simply misunderstand me, or if I have triggered some sort of Stallman-esque open source fanboy behaviour by simply pointing out that hosting TeamSpeak doesn't cost money.

I went back to my OP and noticed that I didnt mention the player cap there as such I must apoligise to you seeing how your right in the context of that post. What I ment to say in my OP was that if you have a large clan ( more then the 32 slots for a non lisenced version ) you need to pay. However I didn't so again my apoligies for being a stuborn twat :/