Stoney (DayZ)

My DayZ SA Rant Review

[CHARACTER MOVEMENT]:

The character movement feels like a clunky PS1 game. Nothing about it feels right. The movement is not fluid in any way and does not feel nice at all. I like the general idea of the animations etc but none of it fits together nicely at all. It's like a puzzle that's been forced together. DayZ Mod feels by far, alot better to play in terms of character movement.

[ZOMBIES]:

The detection radius for zombies has never really been a problem for me in DayZ or DayZ Mod, infact the zombies have always been pretty good. I didn't like how fast they used to run in DayZ Mod and how they just kept chasing you until the end of time, also the walking through walls. Besides that though there wasn't really much wrong with the zombies.

When I first played DayZ SA I was relieved with how great the zombies were. It seemed they had been improved massively. Besides the walking through walls I was very impressed with the zombies. Maybe a few more spawns could have been added but not much needed happening there.

I logged back into DayZ SA tonight and it seems the zombies have gone to shit. Excuse my french but they're probably worse than they were in DayZ Mod but there are just far less of them. The movement/animations etc are shocking. I think a revert needs to be done with them.

[FPS]:

Nothing has been done to fix the FPS issues in DayZ SA. I appreciate the game is only in Alpha but it appears with a whole new engine the same problem still persists. You're doing something wrong. I would probably point the finger at the people who designed the buildings etc. Fix it!

I will continue my review as I find more things to rant about.. But besides these 3 major things which make me not want to play the game. Everything seems fine so far.

---

If you have anything to rant about share it with me!

I will not just resort to saying that this is an Alpha

I mean being an Alpha is not an excuse for these problems

I am sure most of this will be solved but that doesn't mean I should just yell Alpha everywhere

No, Indeed no, being Alpha is not the cause of these problems at all.

I will not yell Alpha.

Alpha

• Like 2

I will not just resort to saying that this is an Alpha

I mean being an Alpha is not an excuse for these problems

I am sure most of this will be solved but that doesn't mean I should just yell Alpha everywhere

No, Indeed no, being Alpha is not the cause of these problems at all.

I will not yell Alpha.

Alpha

No shit sherlock..

I have a question.

Yes, it's an alpha.

Aside from item count.... What has improved in the SA over the mod a year ago?

Let a random gamer play the mod for ten hours and the sa for ten. Which do you think the person would want to play for ten more hours.

A hardcore audience has attached to this game like desperate leaches. I am kinda one of them, but I vastly prefer the mod and say, epoch or mustyz to the SA.

I only play the standalone to check out changes when a new patch comes out.... How long has that been? I hope for the dev teams the next patch is a spectacular windfall and moves the game ahead because right now it's developing like a bull shuffling listlessly in a china shop.

Edited by Disgraced
  • Like 1

F****** hell man.. too many of these retarded ass posts. Just stop playing and the rest of us would appreciate you not making more posts on the forums. Bai!

Who cares? The forums have no function except the Brownian motion of the "nuh-uh" crowd and the "uh huh" crowd.

The devs don't care, the moderators are here to police the garbage feet and any real details are at conventions and on reddit.

This place is made for just this kind of thing. Face it.

Edited by Disgraced

Alpha is not the reason the game is a sack of potatoes. It doesn't take years to sort a game like this out sorry but it just doesn't lol. The devs don't give a shit about their game any more. They're lazy.

I think the animations and movement is loads better than it was in the mod.

You guys just like to wine.

Alpha is not the reason the game is a sack of potatoes. It doesn't take years to sort a game like this out sorry but it just doesn't lol. The devs don't give a shit about their game any more. They're lazy.

Another game developer come to voice their concerns.

No shit sherlock..

With this statement I assume you agree to my belief that the cause of these problems is not no Alpha?

Because really no, not no Alpha.

Alpha.

As someone who actually works with devs who don't know what they are doing, I think it's two things.

The engine can't live up to expectations

The people working on it have no idea how to get things done that matter. They're adding graphic decals and pinstripes to a car that's throwing rods and burning out transmissions.

Edited by Disgraced
  • Like 1

I agree with some of this. The character movement always felt pretty smooth to be honest.

But Zeds are shit. The game's main premise is zombies. So to have clunky and glitchy zeds is pretty silly.

I hope this shit gets fixed. I don't expect a AAA title by full release. But hopefully most of these problems are ironed out. I just hope they don't half-ass it. They already have all the money they're gonna get. I hope the good in them doesn't let them just say "Fuck it lol we already have shit tons of cash".

[CHARACTER MOVEMENT]:

The character movement feels like a clunky PS1 game. Nothing about it feels right. The movement is not fluid in any way and does not feel nice at all. I like the general idea of the animations etc but none of it fits together nicely at all. It's like a puzzle that's been forced together. DayZ Mod feels by far, alot better to play in terms of character movement.

Welcome to the world of Arma Engine.

[ZOMBIES]:

The detection radius for zombies has never really been a problem for me in DayZ or DayZ Mod, infact the zombies have always been pretty good. I didn't like how fast they used to run in DayZ Mod and how they just kept chasing you until the end of time, also the walking through walls. Besides that though there wasn't really much wrong with the zombies.

When I first played DayZ SA I was relieved with how great the zombies were. It seemed they had been improved massively. Besides the walking through walls I was very impressed with the zombies. Maybe a few more spawns could have been added but not much needed happening there.

I logged back into DayZ SA tonight and it seems the zombies have gone to shit. Excuse my french but they're probably worse than they were in DayZ Mod but there are just far less of them. The movement/animations etc are shocking. I think a revert needs to be done with them.

Work in progress, constantly being tweaked.

[FPS]:

Nothing has been done to fix the FPS issues in DayZ SA. I appreciate the game is only in Alpha but it appears with a whole new engine the same problem still persists. You're doing something wrong. I would probably point the finger at the people who designed the buildings etc. Fix it!

Many things have been done to improve FPS, but with one fix comes another problem.

I will continue my review as I find more things to rant about.. But besides these 3 major things which make me not want to play the game. Everything seems fine so far.

Awesome, glad to hear your having fun.

---

We need to start testing higher server population.

As someone who actually works with devs who don't know what they are doing, I think it's two things.

The engine can't live up to expectations

The people working on it have no idea how to get things done that matter. They're adding graphic decals and pinstripes to a car that's throwing rods and burning out transmissions.

Take that avatar off right now.  You don't deserve to wear it.

The joker is at least a scholar and gentleman.

• Like 2

Take that avatar off right now.  You don't deserve to wear it.

The joker is at least a scholar and gentleman.

Suck it :)

I sincerely hope the next patch addresses some serious weaknesses in this game.

• Like 1

[CHARACTER MOVEMENT]:

Welcome to the world of Arma Engine.

[ZOMBIES]:

Work in progress, constantly being tweaked.

[FPS]:

Many things have been done to improve FPS, but with one fix comes another problem.

Awesome, glad to hear your having fun.

---

We need to start testing higher server population.

But steak...

That's my point. How long can the "it's the arma engine" be an acceptable explanation?

I guess the arma engine just sucks. Yes, I still play the mod. I've played it more than any other (non-MMO) game except perhaps tf2; yes even more than both Left 4 Deads). Personally, I feel that at this point, someone somewhere needs to realize that the dev team cannot modify the arma engine enough to make a zombie game really work. The future shall tell.

Zombies need more than "tweaked". They barely work from appearance to action to interaction with the player. They need redesign from the ground up. I think that the arma engine, being built for ranged combat instead of hand to hand, will ALWAYS be the reason that this is only SORT OF a zombie game. A game that can provide an open world with many players and actual mobs that seem reasonably like what people expect as zombies will draw a LOT of players. I bet the dev team has many times discussed removing zombies somehow and just can't because of marketing. I have some hope for the guys they've brought on board who do hunting games. Maybe they can somehow shoehorn wild aggressive animal "AI" into the zombies here. Fix the net code so that they attack me when they're standing in attack range rather than 5 meters away and make them run according to some facsimile of the laws of physics and I won't chuckle every time I encounter one.

Anyway, I'm waxing negatively rhapsodic this afternoon for someone who still plays the mod at every opportunity, but thems the breaks.

• Like 1

I don't know, the DayZ mod was a pretty working zombie game on the arma engine, so I doubt it's impossible...

Go back and observe the zombies as the run at improbable right angles to your position. At improbable speeds. As they hit you from meters away.

It's playable but meh.

I'd pay another $20 just for a better "bleeding" animation.

Most of the fun is from our own goodwill.

Go back and observe the zombies as the run at improbable right angles to your position. At improbable speeds. As they hit you from meters away.

It's playable but meh.

I'd pay another $20 just for a better "bleeding" animation.

Most of the fun is from our own goodwill.

Most of the stuff in game is currently placeholder while programers can get critical core aspects working.  Its not a small job like working with a sdk and script extenders.

The fact devs can keep it a somewhat playable game in this state is amazing.

Most of the stuff in game is currently placeholder while programers can get critical core aspects working.  Its not a small job like working with a sdk and script extenders.

The fact devs can keep it a somewhat playable game in this state is amazing.

I would have said this two months ago.

I am, however, having trouble figuring out what "critical aspect" has improved since I bought the game in January... They've just been adding more placeholders...

I am, however, having trouble figuring out what "critical aspect" has improved since I bought the game in January... They've just been adding more placeholders...

Took a break since January (after the first week of release), saw very little improvements when i got back.  

The roadmap sums it up pretty well.  these next months are minor things with some major systems being updated.  Those major changes are something engine programmers have been working on for months.  Summer/fall is when you can expect to see a surge of major changes considering that is when we can expect vehicles and barricading.  The later being pointless in the current state of the game.

Edited by Gorvi
  • Like 1

The roadmap sums it up pretty well.  these next months are minor things with some major systems being updated.  Those major changes are something engine programmers have been working on for months.  Summer/fall is when you can expect to see a surge of major changes considering that is when we can expect vehicles and barricading.  The later being pointless in the current state of the game.

It will be interesting to see how/if Sony beats them to the punch. 2016 is a long way off.

I will a game called beta and play it alpha even it 1.0 retail.

Next time alpha it retailed beta. I swear to god