GunnyITA

IZH 43 shootgun range change?

If you want this game to be as realistic as possible then they are quite fine as they are.

These are random alpha placeholder values and you say they're fine as is? They're not fine.

The game's sawn-off spreads its shot into a 57-inch circle at 15 yards.

Small Arms Review tested the patterns of buckshot from short barrels by cutting down a barrel step-by-step:

Barrel length----------spread (15 yards)

30 inches-----------------10 inches

24 inches-----------------11 inches

18 inches-----------------8 inches

12 inches-----------------12.5 inches

6-7/8 inches--------------17 inches

The sawn-off shotgun in DayZ has barrels that are about 12 inches long. The DayZ sawn-off's spread is approximately FIVE TIMES too large. The spread on the full-size version is nearly THREE TIMES too large.

Skip to 3:18 please.

• Like 1

both of your tests guys now are more accurate now, but as already said by Gews, the double barrel "sawn off" version, has a way too much spread to be effective in any situation. There's a video in youtube at really close range that can prove it, but i can't "copy paste" the link... I don't know why. But you can watch it only by searching Sawn off Dayz.

So the things are 2:

Or a single pellet must inflict more damage

Or both version, in particular the sawn off version, need a spread reduce.

Edited by GunnyITA

57 inches is large spread for 15 yards I wasn't aware that it was that large at all, but, I stand by what I say that a sawn off shotgun I would not consider effective over more than 10 yards anyway. and as I stated in my first post 50 meters for a standard shotgun is a generous distance which is 54 yards, 200 meters (220 yards) for a slug accurately is just ridiculous. Even with using proper pattern sheets for different ammo and you can look at the test below: 25 yards and some cartridges are already giving  27 inch spread with pellets missing all together with a tactical choke, without a choke I would consider that they would be giving more in the region of +32 inch spread at 25 yards and also taking into consideration that is with an 18.5 inch barrel. Therefore at 54 yards the efficiency of a shotgun, again depending the cartridges, is minimal at best you may get a pellet or two in.  

results1.jpg

I'd be quite happy when I get home in the next few days from work to go and do some testing but it won't be with an SBS or sawn off as they are considered naughty where I am so it'll be 18.5 inch barrel. ;)

Spread reduction I can agree with to a certain degree but unrealistic distances...nope... which was actually what I started with disagreeing about in the first place. 

Edited by Legio23

Spread reduction I can agree with to a certain degree but unrealistic distances...nope... which was actually what I started with disagreeing about in the first place. 

The spreads in-game are like this:

hbR4fYe.png

Agreed 200 yards is way too far to be "effective"... a simple bead, smoothbore... having the two separate barrels makes things way worse... more like well within 50 yards as you stated.

The only way to carry out an effective test is by using the weapon itself in both its formats and using the ammunition that has been used, only then would there be a real result. 

For the moment it is pure speculation for the spread, though agreed they do look a little on the large side for the long barreled version and more than a little large for the sawn off version. However, we can agree that fifty yards is generous for distance. Myself, I rarely take a shotgun over 30 yards unless using slugs where I'll take it out further.

The spreads in-game are like this:

hbR4fYe.png

Agreed 200 yards is way too far to be "effective"... a simple bead, smoothbore... having the two separate barrels makes things way worse... more like well within 50 yards as you stated.

The only way to carry out an effective test is by using the weapon itself in both its formats and using the ammunition that has been used, only then would there be a real result. 

For the moment it is pure speculation for the spread, though agreed they do look on the large side for the long barreled version especially at 15 and 25yds and more than large for the sawn off version. However, we can agree that fifty yards is generous for distance. Myself, I rarely take a shotgun over 30 yards unless using slugs where I'll take it out a bit further.

Edited by Legio23

The fact is that a Long double barrel shotgun must be by realism,  most accurate compared to a regular shotgun.

This because if for example devs gonna implement a mossberg 500, the barrel of a Mossberg would be shorter than a double barrel shotgun, so that also more inaccurate. IZH  must be fixed!

Barrel length doesn't really affect accuracy to any noticeable degree. It becomes harder to aim, but the spread and accuracy remain about the same at all effective ranges even if you saw of your shotgun. 

News of today:

Today me and a my friend we've did some ambushes. He was with the blaze 95 and me with the IZH 43 plus a sawed off on the backpack.

First ambush:

We've got a guy and we tryed to stop him without shoot. No way. I've shot him on the back at 20 metres, i was aiming to the upper part of the back.....2 hits from standing! I wasn't breathing and my aim was steady!  Both shots hit the target because i've seen the blood after each shoot...

....Target still alive, broken legs!

What the hell! 20 metres aiming right quite to the head and i'm breaking his legs? Isn't shotgun effective within 50 metres? Why i've shoot at 20 and i've did a 3rd shoot to kill him?

Second Ambush:

2 guys sniped a newb with only a school backpack. Once they gone there to loot, my mate from a roof sniped them with the Blaze

...He got one...made him crawling.

Second one missed all the time or probably hit one time but still able to run, he ran away and went down to a bridge to hide from my friend.

In the meantime i'm sneaking behind them and i find both of them trying to bandage themselves.

I'm shooting to the guy was standing from 5 metres with regular double barrel.....Still alive! I come outside, placing another shoot and killed him

Then, i go to the second one could not move, instead of reloading i grab out the SAWN OFF and from 3 metres i've shoot him.

Didn't killed!

Seriously: A man was shoot previusly by a Blaze and bleed a few before getting cover, was still able to survive to one SAWN OFF shoot from 3 metres?

I'm rosik because after that shoot he log out, Probably he lost his char because of bleeding again but thats stupid.

At this point I might agree with you about that the spread it's fine and generous as it is....but the damage inflict by "some" pellets is less than the fists, and I'm not joking.

-2 hits from the back aiming quite to the head, broken legs and still alive

-Blazer hit, bleeding for around 15 seconds, then another hit with a SAWN OFF from 3 metres.

It's...It's....I'm really not able to find the words for it. A Nerf gun toy inflict more damage....

Update from today.

A guy was trying to hit me with an axe inside a room....i move on the wall and strafe on him to avoid the hits....I'm shooting 2 times, 1 hit, 1 miss... he still run... Then i'm reloading while strafing....then i shoot again and 1 hit and 1 miss again

Regular double barrel shotgun!

Hopefully the 3rd hit came from my friend that was holding another shotgun

So this guy has been shot 3 times on a maximum range of 3x5 metres (size of the room), and always able to run.

Ya know that on Max Payne 2 was enough 2 shotgun hit to die on close range? :P

then another one:

Same room, another guy...2 hits on the chest, i've seen the blood for the hits but he was still alive....he climbs a ladder and i had to fire him 5 pistol .45 acp rounds to kill him...

Edited by GunnyITA

well sounds more like the shotgun is hugely underpowered rather than a problem with spread or range, as at a distance of a couple of meters the guy should be well and truly dead with both barrels even offloading one barrel should suffice.