Sign in to follow this  
nickbuckeyes

Are Donor Perks Legal?

Hello, apologies if this is in the wrong section but let me begin.

Nearly every server I've seen (epoch) has donor perks. I was wondering if this were legal in the US because you are "selling" intellectual property. This might be a far out question, but I just wanted to know incase I start a server. Also, if I am 17 can I still have donor perks as long as it goes into a parent/guardian's PayPal?

Thanks for the help! 

Moved.

From the Rules:

10) Transactions:
You may not under any circumstances sell or buy in game items for real world money, the same goes for selling access to an Official or Non official Server, If you choose to do so on a Privately hosted server not connected to Hive you must advertise that else where.

• Like 2

Moved.

From the Rules:

10) Transactions:

You may not under any circumstances sell or buy in game items for real world money, the same goes for selling access to an Official or Non official Server, If you choose to do so on a Privately hosted server not connected to Hive you must advertise that else where.

If this is against the rules why do you guys not do anything about the numerous servers offering donor perks?

If this is against the rules why do you guys not do anything about the numerous servers offering donor perks?

What are you referring to? If you're talking about the mod for ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhed: there's nothing we can do about that.

What are you referring to? If you're talking about the mod for ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhed: there's nothing we can do about that.

Yes I am, so is that not against the rules to do it on the mod for ARMA 2: OA? 

Yes I am, so is that not against the rules to do it on the mod for ARMA 2: OA? 

It is against the rules to advertise it on the forums and against the serverhosting rules, if you're hosting an official / publichive server for the DayZ Mod.

Edited by kichilron

It's all down to how you word it, if you recieve perks through donating it's fine, If you blatently charge money for items it's selling, selling is against BIS TOS

Servers have to be paid for somehow and they aren't cheap.

BTW I don't own or run any Dayz mod servers, just adding my opinion :)

Selling/offering 'perks' in a game as a server owner isn't 'intellectual property'.  It can be considered cheap, but more than likely not illegal as long as it's not a hack (A server admin on his private server offering to have it so you spawn with a 1911, 2 clips, and a can of beans because you donated $5.  Some random guy spawning in an infinite ammo box or a helicopter on any server you want is.).  Now say making a mod of DayZ and charging money for it would be considered Illegal as you're actually taking someone else's intellectual property, putting a ribbon, a few bells, and price tag on it, and saying it's yours.

And really, who's going to 'stop' people selling perks?  It's not like Orlok can kick down people's doors, slap em around a bit for breaking rules, tell them to stop doing that, and abscond with their 'ill gotten' money to be burned in a fire...He can't right?

It's allowed for private servers but (fortunately) it's

A: Frowned upon

B: Advertising of it cannot be done on the DayZ forums, at least.