I guarantee, this is a stupid question, but I'm still new, so bare with me. Anyway, I had an anti-stab vest, and I checked at one point through my inventory to see if everything was okay after an attack from a zed. I get that the zombie itself could have ruined it, but I'm still able to wear it. So my question is this: Does the "ruined" status mean anything regarding clothing items? You're still able to keep it on your body, so does it still have any effect?

Smorisson28 (or, RustyPancake)

The 'armor' part of the clothing is gone if i remember correctly, but still a cool find ive never found one.

If its status is ruined, your wearing it for looks at this point all its funtional use is gone, same goes for all ballistic gear.

• Like 2

"Ruined" clothes means that if the item provides any kind of armor (a bullet proof or stab-proof vest, ballistic helmet, et cetera), it no longer does-but you can still look cool and use all the pockets.

Protip: Find a survivor with a lower-tier item, tell him "Hey I'll trade this for your jacket" (or something) and make the swap. You've got a functional jacket, he's got a ruined vest, and now you can stab-away for the rest of his gear.

Edited by Applejaxc
  • Like 1

"Ruined" clothes means that if the armor provides any kind of armor (a bullet proof or stab-proof vest, ballistic helmet, et cetera), it no longer does-but you can still look cool and use all the pockets.

Protip: Find a survivor with a lower-tier item, tell him "Hey I'll trade this for your jacket" (or something) and make the swap. You've got a functional jacket, he's got a ruined vest, and now you can stab-away for the rest of his gear.

But that's mean!

• Like 1

But that's mean!

No, it's good banditry. It's better than KoS.

• Like 2

Shirts (t shirts, jackets, anything upper body), Vests (assault vests, chest holster, anything worn over Shirts) and Backpacks all absorb damage. The better condition the piece is in, the more damage it can absorb. Once it is ruined, there is no armour bonus at all and I THINK that items inside are more prone to damage.

• Like 1

Shirts (t shirts, jackets, anything upper body), Vests (assault vests, chest holster, anything worn over Shirts) and Backpacks all absorb damage. The better condition the piece is in, the more damage it can absorb. Once it is ruined, there is no armour bonus at all and I THINK that items inside are more prone to damage.

but i think they didnt make it right for now (that armor absorb) because sometimes i am "full pristine geared" and i die faster then when i dont have anyithing (with same ammount of bullets in same place) - me and my friends try that

No, it's good banditry. It's better than KoS.

Well, sure, but wouldn't it be to your advantage to try and be friendly, first? So that if they're truly a friendly, you're golden?

Well, sure, but wouldn't it be to your advantage to try and be friendly, first? So that if they're truly a friendly, you're golden?

Or I can act friendly, lure them in, and bam! Their legs are broken, they're handcuffed, and I have all their stuff. What am I losing? I've made plenty of friends that way.

Or I can act friendly, lure them in, and bam! Their legs are broken, they're handcuffed, and I have all their stuff. What am I losing? I've made plenty of friends that way.

if someone did that I would hunt them back down...

if someone did that I would hunt them back down...

And the hilarity ensues! That's why it's more fun than just shooting someone in the back!

"Ruined" clothes means that if the item provides any kind of armor (a bullet proof or stab-proof vest, ballistic helmet, et cetera), it no longer does-but you can still look cool and use all the pockets.

Unless you're dealing with a blind guy I really don't know how this could work.

Edited by Snowball

Unless you're dealing with a blind guy I really don't know how this could work.

Not everyone knows that something is "Ruined" by looking at it. And you could do it with any clothing/item. "Here's some food." As soon as they open their inventory, start chopping.

• Like 1

Not everyone knows that something is "Ruined" by looking at it. And you could do it with any clothing/item. "Here's some food." As soon as they open their inventory, start chopping.

Clever girl.

Clever girl.

<3 I'm blushing

happy-oh-stop-it-you-l.png

(btw pictures is how I'm responding to all of your quotes in case you and the other red shirts if you haven't guessed it)

Edited by Applejaxc

I'm not sure if I like your kind of player. Seems a bit aggressive. If we're supposed to try to make this game realistic, how willing would you really be to be that gruesome to another player. You're both in the same boat. And after all, you've all got a common enemy. What are you really losing if you give away a can opener and some beans and a spare melee weapon?

I'm not sure if I like your kind of player. Seems a bit aggressive. If we're supposed to try to make this game realistic, how willing would you really be to be that gruesome to another player. You're both in the same boat. And after all, you've all got a common enemy. What are you really losing if you give away a can opener and some beans and a spare melee weapon?

Are you saying KoS is better? Because that's what you're suggesting. How isn't it realistic? If someone had a gun and I had a knife, I'd sure as hell try to trick them to get close and go for the neck.

but i think they didnt make it right for now (that armor absorb) because sometimes i am "full pristine geared" and i die faster then when i dont have anyithing (with same ammount of bullets in same place) - me and my friends try that

You do realize that apart from bulletproof vest(Not sure if these even exist yet) and ballistic helmet it doesnt matter if you are naked or in pristine clothes. Bullets will go clean through, including anti-stab vest. I have seen demostration videos about balistic helmets and those seem to work.

Various clothing types could work against mele in different ways, but not agains firearms.

Edited by Zeppa

I'm not sure about after the latest patch, but I had a badly damaged backpack for quite a while without any effect on the gear within.

I'm not sure about after the latest patch, but I had a badly damaged backpack for quite a while without any effect on the gear within.

I thought the planned effect for ruined backpacks should be randomly losing stuff?

I'm curious about ruined melee weapons. Noticed my crowbar was "ruined", no pristine one to compare it to. :)

Are you saying KoS is better? Because that's what you're suggesting. How isn't it realistic? If someone had a gun and I had a knife, I'd sure as hell try to trick them to get close and go for the neck.

Well, no, that's actually the opposite of what I'm suggesting. What I'm suggesting is that you try to help a player out before you assume he's hostile and handcuff him and force him to drink disinfectant spray for whatever your reason is. And from what I've seen, a lot of the time, the players who torture other players are doing it because funny, not because that player is a legitimate threat. There's no reason to bully anybody. There's strength in numbers, so why don't you team up?

Edited by smorisson28

What I'm suggesting is that you try to help a player out before you assume he's hostile and handcuff him

Who said I thought the player was hostile? If I did I would have shot him immediately, not risked getting close to him. Giving someone a "gift" and then hacking them apart is for fun not self-defense, as well as to take their gear. It has nothing to do with being intimated by someone.

Don't knock it until you try it.  AppleJaxc ideas are not only clever, but some of the most entertaining DayZ experience come by behaving this way. 

I once did this, killed a guy during a trade (he was bent over to get the Canteen) and I told him it was a huge accident, and if he spawned nearby I would let him loot his own body.  Not even 10 minutes later "Hey!  Don't shoot!  It's me!"  Axe to the back of the head.  I mean, he did have a pistol.