Sign in to follow this  
roninhg

Please implement - Non-lethal Weapon Toggle Option

Idea: Request devs to implement a "non-lethal" toggle option to your active weapon much like you do for auto/semi or single shot/double shot.   Perhaps you push the "L" key (or whatever) and it toggles your weapon to non-lethal.

Effect:  In Non-Lethal mode, your weapon only does Shock damage, not health and not bleeding damage.  Applies to melee and firearms.

Why this is good for the game:  You can now neutralize another player without killing them (or risking them bleeding to death).  This will allow for MANY more play options.  Rather than kill someone who's a threat you can now knock them unconscious and because they aren't bleeding you can:

a) Get the heck out of there safely

b] Cuff them to buy time for further interaction 

c) Safely loot them

d) Take them prisoner

e) Hold them as a live hostage for their buddies

f)  safely take their blood

g) interrogate them

h)  Any combination of the above and many MORE options!!

Why this reflects DayZ's "freedom of play":  You DON'T HAVE to toggle this option.  It's completely your choice.   No choices are taken from you, only new options added.

Why this is still "authentic":  In real life, one would have the option to attempt to "graze" your opponent, hit them with the blunt side of your melee weapon to knock them out, etc.

Why this is easier on the devs:  Rather than worrying about the mechanics/ballistics/models/loot spawns etc for non-lethal items, this would just be a simple toggle which would turn off blood and health damage.

DEVS, please implement - this will only enrich the gameplay

Edited by roninhg

Or you could just, I don't know, not aim center mass with your guns or learn how many shots it takes to knock someone out with any given weapon. Or carry a 9mm or .22 weapon. Bullets don't have a magical "don't kill" switch.

Hitting people with the blunt side of weapons sounds alright though.

A cosh melle weapon and being able to use the butt of your gun would be workable, maybe tied into some sneak system or having the person restrained and then being able to move them either via carry or drag to another area or inside a building. But the main question is could this be used upon zombies. if it could then that could add a new dimension of gameplay.

Edited by Shingara

Or you could just, I don't know, not aim center mass with your guns or learn how many shots it takes to knock someone out with any given weapon. Or carry a 9mm or .22 weapon. Bullets don't have a magical "don't kill" switch.

Hitting people with the blunt side of weapons sounds alright though.

The underlying idea would be that you were using rubber tipped bullets, but without having the devs have to worry about models, spawn ratios/balance and allow you to make the choice more on the fly.  Not real, but authentic, imo.

Careful shot placement is very difficult to do in certain situations I've encountered where non-lethal would be great but time and accuracy are not a luxury you have:

1. At long range, sometimes someone's in your way and you need them "down" for a while, but no desire to kill them so you can continue on your way.  Would be great to be able to non-lethally snipe.

2. Very close range, if you're trapped in a building by a team that's unaware you're there.  If you wait, they'll find you..and you'll be outgunned.  But with a full auto m4 and element of surprise, you can "spray and pray" your way out, they all drop unconscious, you get out safely...they wake up later and wonder what happened.

3. Same as number two except with a melee weapon like firefighter's axe.  Can take down a group if you have surprise...but currently hard not to leave them dead/bleeding to death..

Edited by roninhg

Blunt weapons yes, blunt bullets no.

As Pandema says, there's no magical "don't kill" switch on bullets. Rubber bullets and bean bags for certain weapons could be a good idea, but if you want to shoot someone and not kill them then you'll have to hit them in the legs or something.

No to bullets with no health damage.

They do need to implement something for the bayonets and I was thinking that whatever the implementation is going to be (another key), then they would have to also implement melee with a firearm that doesn't have a bayonet attached.  Like hitting someone with the butt of the gun.

I was thinking that maybe when you have your gun out, but not raised, you can perform this melee attack with the mouse button.  Just like firing, but instead perform a bayonet or melee attack.

Edited by DayZ_Friendly

I so believe this has something to do with the date. if not... to each is own I guess. not a great idea imo.

try using a Baseball Bat if U cant shoot to NOTkill.

Idea: Request devs to implement a "non-lethal" toggle option to your active weapon much like you do for auto/semi or single shot/double shot.   Perhaps you push the "L" key (or whatever) and it toggles your weapon to non-lethal.

Effect:  In Non-Lethal mode, your weapon only does Shock damage, not health and not bleeding damage.  Applies to melee and firearms.

Why this is good for the game:  You can now neutralize another player without killing them (or risking them bleeding to death).  This will allow for MANY more play options.  Rather than kill someone who's a threat you can now knock them unconscious and because they aren't bleeding you can:

a) Get the heck out of there safely

b] Cuff them to buy time for further interaction 

c) Safely loot them

d) Take them prisoner

e) Hold them as a live hostage for their buddies

f)  safely take their blood

g) interrogate them

h)  Any combination of the above and many MORE options!!

Why this reflects DayZ's "freedom of play":  You DON'T HAVE to toggle this option.  It's completely your choice.   No choices are taken from you, only new options added.

Why this is still "authentic":  In real life, one would have the option to attempt to "graze" your opponent, hit them with the blunt side of your melee weapon to knock them out, etc.

Why this is easier on the devs:  Rather than worrying about the mechanics/ballistics/models/loot spawns etc for non-lethal items, this would just be a simple toggle which would turn off blood and health damage.

DEVS, please implement - this will only enrich the gameplay

So yeah.. Someone already pointed it out, and I hope thats the case.. April fools.

I think the Idea of having the ability to "magically" turn your bullets to non-lethal, isn't very good. Sounds too "scif-fi" to me. But, but, but.. They could (if they implement a prison in the future) add some riot-gear and some non-lethal ammunition for weapons, like beanbags and rubber bullets´, maybe tasers. To compensate for what you are speaking of.. But the idea of a switch is just.. like.. "stupid"..

"buttstocking" some-1 unconscious/melee with buttstock, or "pömpfen" as we call it in german LARP will come for sure ;)

But this idea is not really good at all.

They should just implement non-lethal ammo/ - guns shooting hard rubber slugs/bullets.

But I ask:

Why should I knock some-1 unconscious with a non-lethal-weapon for some minutes, when I could've killed and therefore removed the danger "for ever".

I see no real point in using non-lethal weapon (aside from being "hero" ;) )

Though I don't really see the big use, I'd love to have these, since "variety is the spice of life" ;)

EDIT: Me "F" button is kinda broken and doesn't want to work from time to time xD

So don't wonder when a "for" becomes an "or"

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1