Xantrim

Forests too safe? Limit usage of matches?

Hi,

I basically got one problem: what use are towns for, after you've found some matches? I don't talk about cities with hospitals, as these are really unique. And I don't talk about going for PvP, but I look at it from a survivor's point of view.

The (remaining) gear needed to survive (knife, water bottle, hatchet) can also be found in barns, which almost every time also contain some weapons (which I still have difficulties finding in normal towns).

Now you are not only set to never experience thirst and hunger again, but you can also really easy fill up your blood meter. You don't even need to use the springs in towns, as you can just go to a lake, which is way safer.

All in all, living in the woods is far too easy. There is basically no need to get any pain killers or morphine, as you're not even in danger there.

This is why I really would like to see matches having only a fixed number of usages. At least this would force you to leave your comfort zone and take some risks every once in a while.

Or maybe reduce the number of steaks you get from an animal, as they really last for a long time, no need to scrounge for beans anymore.

So the forest to me is like a safe house, which doesn't require any upkeep at all, which I just don't like.

Was I just "lucky" never meeting anyone while roaming the woods? Lucky to find all the gear I mentioned (never had a problem doing so, maybe I died once or twice in a town before gathering it all, but that's it). Did you experience the same?

Me and a buddy of mine are always going through the woods. We don't really encounter any survivors at all. The only thing we come across are helicopter crashes, and deer stands. So I guess you could say the woods are a little too safe, but hey, this is a zombie survival game. And I guess when you think of surviving the place that comes to mind is the woods, or plains. If you wanted to survive you wouldn't be running around in a heavily populated town or city.

I guess what it all comes down to, is the mentality of the survivors on the server(s) you play on. If you, and my buddy and I played on the same server we would probably run into each other eventually. And that's what I love about this game, you never know when someone might be watching you.

Nothing stops you from spending your whole gameplay time in a remote forest area, using cooked meat and water from ponds to survive

It's just not exciting....

Sandbox n sheeeeiitt

[...] And that's what I love about this game' date=' you never know when someone might be watching you.

[/quote']

Yes, this mod really makes voyeurism fun ^^

A player hiding in the forest isn't gaining anything by it, isn't having much of a gaming experience and is still at some risk of PvP. It's not really worth the server load of populating the forests, or plains, since there's nothing of value or interest there.

I mean if you want the experience of being completely safe and eternally self-sufficient the easiest way to do it is log off.

The woods are safe, but the fact is, even sitting around in the woods all day isn't exactly FUN.

You can camp out all you like hunting wild game and never leaving, and I do think that's a little silly that you can effectively do so forever, but the fact is many people are just using the woods to travel between looting spots so they can get more ammo or guns or whatever they want to enable their fun.

If they do limit match uses tho, they should at least increase the spawn rate.

This post is dumb; that's the entire point of the forest.

Loot is less concentrated, but it's safe from zombies. So if you want to stay in the forest, you have to get weapons from heli crashes and deerstands; both of which are surrounded by zombies.

And good luck finding medical supplies in a tree.

It depends on what you're long-term goals are. If you just want to survive, then getting camping gear and heading for the hills will achieve it. Congrats - you beat the game.

But what then? Do you have any other goals, like getting a vehicle up and running? Or geting a tent an establishing a permanent base you can fill with different loot?

DayZ is a sandbox - it's what you make of it.

PS - I'd suggest that you do need morphine. You really don't want to get a broken leg way out there in the wilderness from stumbling over a rock, random zombie swipe or high-velocity round.

A player hiding in the forest isn't gaining anything by it' date=' isn't having much of a gaming experience and is still at some risk of PvP. It's not really worth the server load of populating the forests, or plains, since there's nothing of value or interest there.

I mean if you want the experience of being completely safe and eternally self-sufficient the easiest way to do it is log off.

[/quote']

YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME DIFFERENTLY FROM ME THEREFORE YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG >:(

This game is based on realism. Now the matches is one thing. But in all honesty, one could survive in the woods by hunting game and visiting fresh water lakes to their hearts content. Even then eventually a player will be forced to go collect ammo thus increasing his changes of encountering other players.

I am all for implementing roaming hordes of zombies that walk. I still think zombies should only be able to walk. But hordes of zombies would add an exciting element. Say zombies follow the direction that they last see a player and then respawn once they hit the end of the map. I think it's do able...

If people want to hide in the woods let them. If people want to just randomly kill everyone they meet let them...game is sandbox. When you try to control players behaviour because you don't like the way they are playing you lose the sandbox feel.

Besides, at any given time 80% of the server is in Stary, NWA, Electro & Cherno. Out of the remaining 20% almost all are simply in transit between those places. There's probably 1 dude on each full server hiding in the woods with his M4A3 CCO hunting pigs and running between lakes. Leave him alone.

In real life surviving would be relying on other survivors, because even simple tasks are much easier if done together. In this game it is exactly the opposite: if you want to survive you have to avoid any other player.

So the concept is wrong from the start... or to be exact, it's not "wrong", it's just far from the reality, so you cannot criticize the game mechanic... it's a game.

In real life surviving would be relying on other survivors' date=' because even simple tasks are much easier if done together. In this game it is exactly the opposite: if you want to survive you have to avoid any other player.

So the concept is wrong from the start... or to be exact, it's not "wrong", it's just far from the reality, so you cannot criticize the game mechanic... it's a game.

[/quote']

you're not playing this game right. it's easier to survive once you establish camp with some trusted individuals. This leads to others foraging and not just you allowing for a constant abundance of supplies being provided.

You're doing it wrong.

The forests are safe and boring.

The towns are unsafe and fun.

If all you ever wanted to do was see how long you could survive then yes, you could do it in the forest. That however sounds very boring and that's why people start venturing into towns and zombie populated areas.

In real life surviving would be relying on other survivors' date=' because even simple tasks are much easier if done together. In this game it is exactly the opposite: if you want to survive you have to avoid any other player.

[/quote']

you're not playing this game right. it's easier to survive once you establish camp with some trusted individuals. This leads to others foraging and not just you allowing for a constant abundance of supplies being provided.

You're doing it wrong.

This. I play with friends and we all pitch in to help supply the tents and make sure everyone has the ammo and med supplies they need.

The matches having a limited amount is excellent.Add to that meat that rots and your half way there.Then maybe have the backstory say that getting infected starts as a simple cold which is just that,a cold.But when you get sick and start coughing you chance to become infected yourself rises greatly from your weakened immune system.This way not only do u have matches and canned foods to have to go into town for but also antibiotics.

Never found a knife yet but I would love it if catching a rabbit gives you one meal but a larger animal gives you many steaks to feed your troops easily.Also,animals should not stand around letting you kill them.I tried so hard last night to hunt this wascally wabbit for like 20 minutes till I finally gave up as it was running all over the place.

It's true: Ancient men were completely unable to survive or make fire before the invention of matches.

Hi' date='

I basically got one problem: what use are towns for, after you've found some matches? I don't talk about cities with hospitals, as these are really unique. And I don't talk about going for PvP, but I look at it from a survivor's point of view.

The (remaining) gear needed to survive (knife, water bottle, hatchet) can also be found in barns, which almost every time also contain some weapons (which I still have difficulties finding in normal towns).

Now you are not only set to never experience thirst and hunger again, but you can also really easy fill up your blood meter. You don't even need to use the springs in towns, as you can just go to a lake, which is way safer.

All in all, living in the woods is far too easy. There is basically no need to get any pain killers or morphine, as you're not even in danger there.

This is why I really would like to see matches having only a fixed number of usages. At least this would force you to leave your comfort zone and take some risks every once in a while.

Or maybe reduce the number of steaks you get from an animal, as they really last for a long time, no need to scrounge for beans anymore.

So the forest to me is like a safe house, which doesn't require any upkeep at all, which I just don't like.

Was I just "lucky" never meeting anyone while roaming the woods? Lucky to find all the gear I mentioned (never had a problem doing so, maybe I died once or twice in a town before gathering it all, but that's it). Did you experience the same?

[/quote']

+ adding "wild" animals that can harm you. Suggested somewhere else. IMHO.

Yah this would be cool.

It's true: Ancient men were completely unable to survive or make fire before the invention of matches.

Heck, even drinking from a creek without a tool is beyond us now.

In practice the limiting factor is water, most of the water sources are either exposed or in towns. But the gameplay is too damn boring that it becomes an issue.

It all comes down to risk/reward - in towns the risk is high, and so is the reward, moreso for airfields and military bases. Forests are low risk, low reward.

you're not playing this game right. it's easier to survive once you establish camp with some trusted individuals.

I can live FOREVER staying alone mate... in this game to survive ONLY you don't need anyone else, unless you're totally noob, wtf you're talking about .. you're playing the wrong game.. lol.

Tip: you only need two things.. wild animals to hunt and water. That's all.

(yes real life it's different.. that's why i'm saying this is just a game)