hoogs

DayZ Standalone - Bandit Appearance?

I was curious if DayZ SA gives bandits the gray scarf on their head?  I haven't seen many folks yet in SA but do recall seeing them and avoiding them in the ARMA2 MOD version.  Thanks for any input.

Hoogs

Nope no scarves {well i haven't seen any yet} and i have no idea if they will add them or not

There is nothing to tell you a person is a bandit except for how they act.

Most of the time, someone that looks like an army guy is going to shoot you. Anyone with a payday(clown) mask is going to shoot you.

• Like 1

I'm all camo'd up in the name of self-preservation.  :)  Same with my friends.  We're not bandits and tread lightly / avoid others at this point.  Still learning the game/ropes.  I hope when we see others they're friendly or just not dumb enough to try to kill four armed players and just leave us alone.

Happy trails...

Not everyone in military gear is a dick. Many wear it for the extra storage and that it is harder to see people in cammo. The rule of thumb I use is if they come towards you with a weapon drawn you shoot them first before they shoot you. If you see them sneaking in your direction with a firearm ie crawling in the weeds in your direction.... you shoot them. This is not done because me or my friends KoS but for self preservation.

Im mostly in green with a black beanie on my head most of the time, i do have a UK assualt vest and a make shift back pack..does me fine really. Alot of people are a little hostile when they see me at first but I think alot relays on your tone of voice wen you first break comms with them. I normally speak with a cheerful voice for reasurrance then ask them if they have a friends. I have found this to work great as they are more honest and open and you can sort out business with them quicker {i.e. helping them with food, supplies etc}

If I see anything with a rifle and an assault vest, it dies. 90% are hostile.

Yelling "Friendly" does not seem to be working for me. What is another word I can use to convince the other player I mean them no harm? 

• Like 1

Yelling "Friendly" does not seem to be working for me. What is another word I can use to convince the other player I mean them no harm? 

Be creative, dont start with yelling friendy, it is suspicious nowdays. Dont forget RPing is your friend, sometimes even KoSters wont shoot you.

• Like 2

A good way to tell if another player is a threat is simply if he is armed.

If you see him, and he is armed.. your life could be in jeopardy. 

• Like 1

Better not bump into you then XD

And more than two in a group will most likely handcuff u and force feed you detergent.

The way i see it, if you have a gun, u are seen as a threat even to heroes and will most likely be shot

There are no bandits or heroes, it's all situational. Maybe someone will help a player who approached them carefully, making themselves vulnerable by withdrawing their weapon. And then the same player might feel threatened by the next player they meet because they're a new spawn who has nothing to lose. It's all about the situation, the player's tone of voice and body language (Yes, this exists and is quite readable in game.)

"Hello" usually works alright for me

Be creative, dont start with yelling friendy, it is suspicious nowdays. Dont forget RPing is your friend, sometimes even KoSters wont shoot you.

Indeed it's a game, but most importantly games are ment to be fun, if they can hear that your afraid of losing your gear/dying they will be more inclined to do it because it means they have power over you (that's two episodes of Dr Phi right there). Rolling with in one way or another can make your experience, even if you die more fun and it's harder to shoot a likable person.  Finally if you know your voice will get you shot, STFU and WIGGLE!!

@OP no I don't think they should implement clothing to identify "bandits" or "KoSer's" although there is plans in the works for armbands and the like for clan/group identification but it will be optional clothing.

Edited by Window Licker
  • Like 1

RPing seems to be the best option. If you make them laugh they don't wanna kill you so much. Or avoid people :p

And more than two in a group will most likely handcuff u and force feed you detergent.

The way i see it, if you have a gun, u are seen as a threat even to heroes and will most likely be shot

Tried the no gun approach myself, thinking it may just cut down the chances of KOS, was sorely mistaken twice. :). Second time we had sawn offs and magnums in our back packs though. Its pretty much a shooting gallery in dayz, been shot dead as a new spawn with nothing, nothing but a baseball bat and a childs briefcase. Even got shot dead with nothing at a well, went there for the water, two guys already drinking there fully geared. Told them, we just wanted the water, we will wait till they are finished, they said (in russian accents) "ok ok, wait there", so we waited they stood up and shot us. lol. This is DayK. 

Edited by Mr Sinister

Gas mask = run

Payday mask = run

Payday mask and no pants = RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK

• Like 1

I like the idea of the humorous RP approach. Also agreed on the skiddish voice and actions indicating someone with a nervous trigger finger. Roll in smart and confident (and ready for shit but not showing it) and things may go okay... go from there.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Tried the no gun approach myself, thinking it may just cut down the chances of KOS, was sorely mistaken twice. :). Second time we had sawn offs and magnums in our back packs though. Its pretty much a shooting gallery in dayz, been shot dead as a new spawn with nothing, nothing but a baseball bat and a childs briefcase. Even got shot dead with nothing at a well, went there for the water, two guys already drinking there fully geared. Told them, we just wanted the water, we will wait till they are finished, they said (in russian accents) "ok ok, wait there", so we waited they stood up and shot us. lol. This is DayK.

And other players want to have helicopters with machine guns, than it becomes DayOverKill ha ha
  • Like 1

Hopefully there will never be an identification system. In saying that BI are going to allow mods so eventually some servers will have them. 

Why does everyone want to kill the immersion?

I got a press vest, does this mean you won't shoot me. And if my press vest wants pristine I would totally get a pin and paper and run around asking people for their stories.

I got a press vest, does this mean you won't shoot me. And if my press vest wants pristine I would totally get a pin and paper and run around asking people for their stories.

That depends on if you have a gas mask/payday mask and if the guy running next to you is a generic army guy. Guilt by association.

That depends on if you have a gas mask/payday mask and if the guy running next to you is a generic army guy. Guilt by association.

Half the time my group I run with looses me (still new and I tend to check all the loot I see). And they don't wear masks (other than the dust mask or what ever its called). And of the 2 people I ran into so far haven't tried to communicate with me, they didn't shoot me and I didn't shoot me but its intristing when you hear someone eating underneath you and yell out that they need to say something, and don't respond for several minutes of me trying to talk to them...

• Like 1