DieBrotmafia

DayZ Oculus Rift Performance

Putting aside for a moment that Facebook is literally Satan and will ruin Oculus entirely, I very much doubt we'll ever have a stable 75 to 90 fps in DayZ, at least not with currently available hardware.

I don't think the currently available hardware is the problem.

Problem seems to be optimization.

Putting aside for a moment that Facebook is literally Satan and will ruin Oculus entirely, I very much doubt we'll ever have a stable 75 to 90 fps in DayZ, at least not with currently available hardware.

i'm not liking the fact that Facebook bought Oculus, but it would be completely stupid of them to destroy everything that made Oculus as valuable as they are right now. that's just not good business, so it's hard to think that Facebook would do it.

also, not a single mainstream Farmville-player would buy $300 (are what does it cost?) VR to play free games on it... lol

Edited by komadose

I don't think so. 

Ban-Evasion, that.

11) Multiple Accounts:

Multiple accounts are not tolerated and may result in a ban for each instance.

Who knows, there are some pretty dedicated players out there. None the less, Farmville is not the only game. There are many more.

yeah well, i'm just saying that they would kill Oculus if they tried to shift it to mainstream markets. i don't think it's gonna happen.

thread is totally derailed from the OP's concern now lol...

Edited by komadose

i understand your examples and marketing in general, but are you SERIOUSLY trying to say that Facebook will make Oculus less compatible with PC games? i mean, really? it would be a complete suicide, resulting in global boycotts towards Oculus. it was invented for PC games in the first place. there are Valve coming in from left with their own VR, Microsoft coming in from right with their own VR. you think Facebook could afford restricting Oculus?

and once more, the original post was more about performance, not compatibility.

if it's not compatible the it wont have good performance :p

if it's not compatible the it wont have good performance :P

true that lol

• Like 1

Even though I would like to stay on topic, a short comment on the whole facebook thing:

Every single thing we heard about it so far suggests that Oculus can continue as planned and even got more freedom compared to their old investors. Palmer etc. did not have the majority since they got the $ 75 million investment. They recently said Oculus is gonna stay open and won't become a closed platform nor that you would need a facebook login. People could have asked the same question about google a long time ago. Why would a search engine create a video hosting platform (youtube)? Why would a search engine create smartphones and get into the hardware industry? Do you see any of the walled garden that e.g. apple uses on android? Do you see tons of ads on android phones? No, you are free to install whatever the heck you want.

Facebook sees the potential of VR and wants to create a platform that people WANT to use, like youtube. They want to be the first. This does not mean they will restrict any access to third parties in any way, and everything we heard so far confirms this. People use youtube because they want to and because its a great platform. Facebook supporting OR will allow them to create some VR platform that you can use - if you want - in the long run. They won't restrict access to other platforms because in the short run - adoption would suffer as people aren't getting as much value - in the long run competitors would have an advantage. Look at google does with android. Look at what facebook does with instagram or whats app - they did change basically nothing.

Now back on topic: I am a bit worried since these performance problems always existed since Arma 2 and I wonder if they can even be solved in the engine.

• Like 1

Now back on topic: I am a bit worried since these performance problems always existed since Arma 2 and I wonder if they can even be solved in the engine.

me too. even though they will propably do most of the optimizing at beta stage (in wich i believe games are usually optimized?), i'm still a little worried about how far the engine can be optimized...

Edited by komadose

Before FaceBook purchased Oculus : Possibly.

After FaceBook purchased Oculus : Highly unlikely.

4j7UhTl.jpg

• Like 5

I'm waiting for the person who says:

"this actually helps me play the game more effectively"

or

"this was totally worth the money/ I'll use this a lot"

• Like 1

Man I surely hope Facebook is pumping money into OR so we end up with mainstream VR - not twisting it into something outside of PC's in general. There are a lot of Facebook users still playing and checking status via PC. I want me some DayZ in VR in a really bad way!

Either way. Both sides... the side that says Facebook will ruin everything and the side that says everything will continue as normal... are speculating endlessly.

On-topic, I think Dean mentioned that it'd be difficult to do OR with the current DX9 framework. I know very little about it, but, yeah. I would assume it to be fairly easy to do with DayZ, as freelook is already built in.

Even though I would like to stay on topic, a short comment on the whole facebook thing:

Every single thing we heard about it so far suggests that Oculus can continue as planned and even got more freedom compared to their old investors. Palmer etc. did not have the majority since they got the $ 75 million investment. They recently said Oculus is gonna stay open and won't become a closed platform nor that you would need a facebook login. People could have asked the same question about google a long time ago. Why would a search engine create a video hosting platform (youtube)? Why would a search engine create smartphones and get into the hardware industry? Do you see any of the walled garden that e.g. apple uses on android? Do you see tons of ads on android phones? No, you are free to install whatever the heck you want.

Facebook sees the potential of VR and wants to create a platform that people WANT to use, like youtube. They want to be the first. This does not mean they will restrict any access to third parties in any way, and everything we heard so far confirms this. People use youtube because they want to and because its a great platform. Facebook supporting OR will allow them to create some VR platform that you can use - if you want - in the long run. They won't restrict access to other platforms because in the short run - adoption would suffer as people aren't getting as much value - in the long run competitors would have an advantage. Look at google does with android. Look at what facebook does with instagram or whats app - they did change basically nothing.

i don't believe anyone trusts googles intentions anymore. NSA highway ftw!

I for one, do not want anything to do with this thing. VR scares me and I don't want computers getting much smarter than they are. I like my keyboard and mouse and with 3 to 4 screens in front and around me at any given time, I don't think OR would work for me :p

Edited by escobert

Will DayZ ever work on the Oculus Rift? I thought about this since some time, since Dean mentioned a long time ago he would implement Rift support... But the Rift needs STABLE 75-90+ fps, no drops. Lots of people with ridiculous strong computers report something like 40 fps or less e.g. in Chernarus. Is there anyone that gets stable 60+ fps everywhere?

IMO the Rift would enhance DayZ immenesly as a simulator, but won't be usable if the FPS problem is not solved. Could it be possible to increase performance within the next 6 months so one could get stable high FPS as required or is the game engine so "flawed" in this regard that it likely won't ever be fixed?

Fps will not be completely fixed until late beta. For release? yes this game will probably be great for it! Now? No.