Grimey Rick

EDITED: Are you happy with CURRENT zombie implementation?

195 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the current implementation of zombies?

• Yes.
    • No.

I'm glad zombies will swarm the fools trying to pvp in cities. Zombies should be the real threat, bar none. This will make people think before they go popping off rounds. I hope that it will get to a point where fire fights end with only the zombies left chewing on the corpses of the idiots who wanted a wild west shootout in elektro. Meanwhile, the survivors will come in and stealthily loot the city...

• Like 2

Didn't they promise early on that all the zombies that spawned would spawn upon server restart. Allowing the players to clear towns and take over real estate?

Having zombies spawn when players enter the vicinity of loot leaves us back where the mod left off.

So again what's the point?

Negative, the system they are aiming for would have the zombies respawn outside of cities and shamble toward former population centers. That way you'd be able to clear out towns, and not have zombies spawn in your clear city but you'd still have to patrol the perimeter to maintain your zombie free city. Zombies spawning only on restart won't be possible as in the future server restarts will be on a much less regular basis.

I meant to buy a realistic zombie survival game,

To play PvP?

Forgive me for saying, but I think I see a flaw in your brilliant plan.  Realistic zombie survival games tend to have zombies in them, not zombie-shaped 3D wallpaper.  If you fire a shot in a high-risk area, you should expect zombies all over  you like tramps on a dropped bag of chips.

Not through walls though.  Obviously.

• Like 2

Negative, the system they are aiming for would have the zombies respawn outside of cities and shamble toward former population centers. That way you'd be able to clear out towns, and not have zombies spawn in your clear city but you'd still have to patrol the perimeter to maintain your zombie free city. Zombies spawning only on restart won't be possible as in the future server restarts will be on a much less regular basis.

Why wouldn't it.

Spawn a high number of zombies at the start of the server I mean high number.

High value loot areas get more zombies such as airfields.

To get military loot would then require a ton of risk since you would then fight a hoard of zombies.

If you stumble on the airfield and see lots of zombie corpses or an empty airfield you know it's been raided.

I don't see any situation where spawned in zombies are good for the game.

Zombie spawns should be tied to loot not players approaching buildings.

The current implementation is broken so to speak but it's better then what they had before and while I like it, I'll be happy with zombies once they are FINISHED.

Why wouldn't it.

Spawn a high number of zombies at the start of the server I mean high number.

High value loot areas get more zombies such as airfields.

To get military loot would then require a ton of risk since you would then fight a hoard of zombies.

If you stumble on the airfield and see lots of zombie corpses or an empty airfield you know it's been raided.

I don't see any situation where spawned in zombies are good for the game.

Zombie spawns should be tied to loot not players approaching buildings.

Like I said earlier, server restarts are going to much farther apart in the future. To get more specific; they likely won't restart at all aside from maintenance and patches when we get closer to beta. So, even if you spawned in a "Dawn of the Dead" level of zombie infestation at server startup, eventually you'd have a cleared server and things would look a lot like the alpha on release, zombie wise. There will need to be a mechanic for replenishing the zed supply, otherwise you'd have Day after Day after Day with no Z.

....see what I did there?

Like I said earlier, server restarts are going to much farther apart in the future. To get more specific; they likely won't restart at all aside from maintenance and patches when we get closer to beta. So, even if you spawned in a "Dawn of the Dead" level of zombie infestation at server startup, eventually you'd have a cleared server and things would look a lot like the alpha on release, zombie wise. There will need to be a mechanic for replenishing the zed supply, otherwise you'd have Day after Day after Day with no Z.

....see what I did there?

How is that a bad thing.

Rewarded for killing zombies you get a peaceful server.

It's better than breaking immersion by having any zombie spawn in.

I like the respawning mechaninc but there needs to be a timer before they respawn. I cant even stand outside at the moment as there is an endless stream of zombies giving away my position and hitting me while i am trying to aim, it is game breaking and has caused me to change the way i play the game.

I was an outdoor cat but now i am an indoor cat.

How is that a bad thing.

Because people would quickly tire of joining server after to server with nary a zombie in sight. People like having zombies around in DayZ, otherwise they'd probably still be playing wasteland.

I like the respawning mechaninc but there needs to be a timer before they respawn. I cant even stand outside at the moment as there is an endless stream of zombies giving away my position and hitting me while i am trying to aim, it is game breaking and has caused me to change the way i play the game.

I was an outdoor cat but now i am an indoor cat.

I agree that there should be a respawn timer on the zed, but I am glad they've changed the way you play. Zeds should always be a dangerous, otherwise this isn't really a zombie apocalypse, its more like the ending to Shaun of the Dead.

Is this thread starter serious? It sounds like you are just annoyed by the zombies cause they ruin your ambush runs on other players. 

This game had WAY too less zombies. My friends actually asked why this is a zombie-game. Now they implemented more zombies, but people cry. People just dont know what they want.

They improved it, ofc far away from perfection, but this is pre-alpha, and they made a step ahead. Point.

I thought Rocket said that zombies won't respawn in DayZ and that all of them will just spawn on the server start, so that if you kill every zombie in a town, you can secure the town.

Zombies are not a danger, and even with the silly respawns.

Compared to another arma3 product with inhuman creatures, even with them being somewhat silly, the horde effect makes them really dangerous at times in that product. Suffice to say that a KoS camper yesterday got swarmed by well over hundred in a place where he could not escape. Another situation was our group being on a tight spot and each on of us tallied zombies in excess of 30+

And then infected wounds came... we had to scavenge for anti virals, anti biotics, and what not... Now that's danger... to a point.

First and foremost the zombies must hit hard and be somewhat randomly resilient.

Right now even punches and sidestep can deliver the infected back to the nether.

Laughable.

Do zombies interrupt PvP, sure, but are they a danger ? No. They don't pose a threat so dangerous that it provokes the players to fight for their lives...together. Life has no value at all.

Quote - "Zombies can only be considered successfully implemented when, in a situation where 2 players meet, they have to decide if they wanna survive together against the horde, or die on their own against the horde."

Edited by Hethwill_Khan
  • Like 1

I agree that there should be a respawn timer on the zed, but I am glad they've changed the way you play. Zeds should always be a dangerous, otherwise this isn't really a zombie apocalypse, its more like the ending to Shaun of the Dead.

Definitely, i just would like to know if i secure a position to get a good spot on a high up opponent that i have a few minutes to get a shot off before my position is given away and i have to worry about getting smacked by a zed but as you say it is a definite improvement.

How is that a bad thing.

There are better ways to handle it. A peaceful server is a boring server, and no longer a Zombie survival just a bore and endless players killing other players. It's not what the game is for, we have Arma2/3 for that essentially.

Proper spawning in will be introduced later I'm sure because this wouldn't cut it for release but like others here I agree they aren't a threat, they have a long way to go, but once they've gotten their 'buffs' and given us reason to fear them their spawning will (hopefully) be more akin to appearing in forests out of sight and a LONG distance away from any active players. If players are being quiet and taking out the zombies silently, replacements might only spawn in 5-60 minutes later in the forest shambling toward the town/city and thus take another 5-10 minutes to even get there, but if something loud such as a gunshot were to happen, instead of shambling toward the city or town they'd be running toward the location of the gunfire and then return to shambling about aimlessly creating a seamless way of repopulating the world without it being in your face as it is now.

Just as an example, if you ran into a town and axed down 20 zombies, you'd have (randomly) 5-60 minutes before replacements even begin spawning into the forests far off in potentially all directions or sometimes just in one direction (horde style); and in those forests could randomly be between 5-50 zombies all with random factors to themselves; some might choose to just play dead on the ground while others decide to just shamble aimlessly but keep close to the town, meanwhile ten of the zombies never get the hint to stick around and just keep on walking down the road...... then a gunfire is heard in the forest, and some poor hunter has now attracted a lot of those zombies attentions - all running toward him and would scatter out for awhile in 'hunt' of something to eat, and though some of the zombies garner interest, others just can't be arsed and just keep playing dead or walking around the town being the deaf rotten meat these particular ones are until they spot someone. In the end some zombies would despawn if no players were anywhere near their active area to keep people from creating a billion zombies, but nobody would be the wiser since it all takes place off screen long distances away from players to the point it's logical they just left, and are now elsewhere. 

But in the end no city would stay empty, and with randomness attached a area that's known to not have much opposition might just end up having a horde shambling around nearby just waiting to be woken up by someone carelessly charging through or pulling the trigger rather than trying to be friendly.

Edited by AzrailCross

Spawn timer I can deal with.

Assign zombies at the start of the game to sections of the map.

When those zombies are killed begins say a 1 or 2 hour timer for them to respawn.

If no player is in the section in 2 hours fresh zombies spawn.

I thought Rocket said that zombies won't respawn in DayZ and that all of them will just spawn on the server start, so that if you kill every zombie in a town, you can secure the town.

Zombies won't spawn in town, they'll spawn out in the forests (after checking that no players are in range) and then shamble towards towns. Towns will be clear-able, but you'll need to defend your newly acquired Woodbury from zombies attracted toward your town by the sweet smell of beans.

Zombies are not a danger, and even with the silly respawns.

Compared to another arma3 product with inhuman creatures, even with them being somewhat silly, the horde effect makes them really dangerous at times in that product. Suffice to say that a KoS camper yesterday got swarmed by well over hundred in a place where he could not escape. Another situation was our group being on a tight spot and each on of us tallied zombies in excess of 30+

And then infected wounds came... we had to scavenge for anti virals, anti biotics, and what not... Now that's danger... to a point.

First and foremost the zombies must hit hard and be somewhat randomly resilient.

Right now even punches and sidestep can deliver the infected back to the nether.

Laughable.

Do zombies interrupt PvP, sure, but are they a danger ? No. They don't pose a threat so dangerous that it provokes the players to fight for their lives...together. Life has no value at all.

Quote - "Zombies can only be considered successfully implemented when, in a situation where 2 players meet, they have to decide if they wanna survive together against the horde, or die on their own against the horde."

Screw that Mike Tyson/Chuck Norris zombie nonsense. Zed should be weak, but their numbers should be overwhelming. That also seems to be the direction the devs want to go, and the instant respawn mechanic is a rather slapdash quick an dirty alpha attempt to artificially cull their numbers.

Screw that Mike Tyson/Chuck Norris zombie nonsense. Zed should be weak, but their numbers should be overwhelming. That also seems to be the direction the devs want to go, and the instant respawn mechanic is a rather slapdash quick an dirty alpha attempt to artificially cull their numbers.

Yea I like the Romero philosophy on zombies.

They are never the big danger but they are a constant pretense.

I'm Romero movies people are always the real danger.

• Like 1

do i like the zombies now? yes and no. they are better than ever after the patch, but the thing is that they are still simply not ready. i repeat the same old mantra; it's ALPHA. give them more time and reserve your judgement.

i personally love how they make PvP more interesting. makes you think twice before you start blasting other players.

actually, the question is really stupid. it's like asking "are you satisfied with the current build of DayZ?". ofcourse we are not, since there's still crap-tons of stuff to be implemented to the game later on.

What irks me is that even if you kill one of the buggers, his mate spawns in 5m away from you.  Oh, that and the fact the one 50m away gives not a single fuck to your presence, yet the one thats 200m away ends up chasing you all over the map.  Not to mention the fear of now logging out 'did I lose that zombie, have I aggro'd another one' and the fear of logging in only to find a gang of em slapping you like you would a ginger step-child.  Even in the safety of the middle of a forest.  Apart from that they are still the same non-entity they have always been.

• Like 1

This is 50% rant, 50% wondering what other people think of the current zombie implementation.

Looks more like 100% rant, unless you're counting your poorly phrased poll question. How could anyone be satisfied with all aspects of zombies right now? They still phase through walls 1/2 the time!

Ever since they changed the zombies last patch, this game has become way less entertaining than it was for me and my friends.

Actually this update is finally the one that got my friends to start playing it again, now that fighting zombies can actually be a challenge.

I've read a lot about people praising the recent changes made to the zombies, but I haven't really seen any sensible reasons why. What good reason do people have for enjoying the current clusterfuck that are zombies in DayZ? A potentially unlimited stream of zombies that can run through walls is so dumb I can't even begin to express my frustration.

I'll give you that a bunch of zombies running through walls is pretty dumb, but in my experience this patch has actually helped the pathfinding considerably. I'd say about 40% of the time I actually see zombies pathfind around a wall, then through a door (as opposed to through a wall), then up some stairs to get at me. This is a fantastic improvement over the previous pathfinding, where I'd literally never seen that happen. In that regard, this patch is clearly a step in the right direction.

As for sensible reasons, well you yourself actually outline one of the reasons further on in your post.

This is a survival game set in a world overrun by zombies. Now we actually have zombies responding to their environment, and posing an actual threat for players of all gear levels. As you said, it creates a much better atmosphere for a zombie survival game, having, you know, actual zombies coming after you.

Oh and now that zombies are an actual threat, it creates an entirely new level gameplay in that you actually have to worry about the zombies in the zombie apocalypse. More on that below.

They ruin PVP. Like, completely. PVP has become arduously obnoxious as everyone is forced to play the waiting game.

That's a pretty extreme statement. Since the latest patch, between my friends and I we've seen a bit of PVP, and it hasn't been ruined at all. PVP still happens, PVP still requires skill, coordination and some basic tactics.

Whoever shoots first generally loses as they're stuck fending off a ridiculous amount of zombies that apparently appear out of thin air, while you can sit back and laugh as you pop off shots at them. Don't bother shooting them, because an unlimited horde of their brothers and sisters will join the parade, further damning you and your companions.

So ... adapt your tactics? Quit camping and maybe move after you fire? Or maybe fire from a position that zombies can't get to, or don't spawn near? This isn't a detriment to PVP, this is a much needed and sensible addition. Now there is an entirely new level of thinking that has to go on in players minds, as firing a weapon not only possibly reveals your general location to other players, but to the hordes of undead as well!

Like, I fully understand a few zombies awakening here and there due to proximity noise. That'd actually be cool and add to the atmosphere. You'd have to watch for corpses, step around them, move away from them, and plan your shots. It'd actually add another element to tactical decisions made during PVP encounters. Instead, we get this blanket fix because a few people were whining about how bad zombies were so far.

Sure it would be neat if we had a bunch of corpses lying around that were actually awoken by gunshots, but this is an early alpha, and we can't get everything we want just yet. Zombies spawning out of nowhere, a reasonable distance away from you, at reasonable time intervals seems pretty good for a first implementation of this aggro mechanic. The only way you attract hordes of them is if you act stupid and stand in the same spot and keep shooting everything that moves. The current implementation DOES add this tactical element to PVP encounters right now!

I've also read that the zombie AI was going to be one of the last things worked on before the beta hits. I always believed that to be true, as before this patch zombies were just kind of an annoyance. As they are now, they're enough to make me want to Tombstone my keyboard. They're not hard. They're not scary. They're just ANNOYING.

Well shit man, guess you were wrong. If you gotta take a break, you gotta take a break.

TL;DR: Bro, do you even hardcore? Sounds like you're just mad you and you're friends can't just camp inside some 2-story building in elektro and shoot every bambi you see anymore.

Edited by fig0451
  • Like 3

The only negative point with the zombies is the re spawning. They are still to easy and there is not enough of them, if people can't deal with that then they are playing the wrong game it's as simple as that. Things will get a lot more difficult regarding the zombies so play styles will need to be constantly adapted. As for their complete removal? Not going to happen - they are a fundamental part of the game, like the weapons.