blunce

Ammo Needs Value in Finished Game

Comments? Thoughts?

I have to respectfully disagree with this reducing KoS. In theory sure, less bullets less killing, but in reality it would mean that while many players will have less ammo, due to items staying in inventory (and later in tents etc.) some will always have a lot of it. People like to hoard stuff, especially if it's both rare AND useful. And I don't even want to start with server hopping. People will find it and use it ( = kill people), especially if they know other people are likely not able to protect themselves (bambis and even geared players).

This would also benefit players who play in groups. They would have easier access to ammo (more people to search for it and share as they see fit). Groups could hoard ammo, distribute it, and go on their man hunting runs. KoS-bandit groups are already a problem and I'm afraid this would only make it even worse.

Now if ammo is relatively plentiful as it is right now (I do think it'll be reduced some 30-50%, same with guns), people will kind of quickly find means to protect themselves. Of course they can KoS too, but at least they are not on the mercy of organized KoS groups, experienced snipers etc. Makes the game more fun and negates the need for server hopping, too.

So basically, with this idea implemented the game would become harder for new and solo players, and easier for server hopping, group playing KoSers. Can't say I'd look forward to it.

• Like 1

If he plays nice then kills you when you turn your back, then he was a douche and theres no cure for that

But would that player kill you if he had little to gain from the conflict? Or rather, be losing out significantly by firing his weapon?

It could change the ethos of KoS, and perhaps discourage it a little.

Disclaimer: As far as I'm concerned, KoS is - and always will be - a legitimate play style.

• Like 1

If you had read my original post you would understand that this topic isn't about KOS.

How is it not?

You argued that you want to reduce ammo to help reduce the amount of KOS in the game currently.

@OP yup.... I read it...

"-This would deter KOS. Not eliminate, but "deter" (water it down). I believe KOS will never be eliminated, ever. But I absolutely do believe that it can be reduced. Now I'm not one to complain about KOS as it's truly a part of the game & I believe that it's the victims fault for getting into the shooters sight in the first place (this is survival), but I do believe that it's not the concept that drives this game. DayZ (the finished game on paper) is not a shooter. If ammo were a true rarity, players would think twice before wasting 1 of their 7 FXN45 rounds that took them a week to find on a worthless fresh spawn, or would try to apprehend a geared player by outplaying them. Not by gunning them down because they have 100+ rounds to waste because they're a dime a dozen. Every shot must count."

It actually was your number one reason... Next was lessen firefights or make shots count???(by product of no ammo).... Hehehe then something to do??? Farming.... Hoarding of equip for your vehicles.... Hopefully, farming too. Base building... :) (:

But would that player kill you if he had little to gain from the conflict? Or rather, be losing out significantly by firing his weapon?

It could change the ethos of KoS, and perhaps discourage it a little.

Disclaimer: As far as I'm concerned, KoS is - and always will be - a legitimate play style.

I agree, kos is a legitimate play style.... And i think people will still kill each other.... This time not for weapon attachments or scopes.... But for ammo, your just gonna make ammo valuable.... Valuable enough to kill for

Edited by Frothyboot18
  • Like 2

I dont want kos gone, otherwise so much for survival aspect if the game. Once more features are implemented, it will reduce on its own, people will be to busy hunting and gathering, that the poor camping kos'ers will be sitting there for hours wondering where everyone is.

• Like 1

It actually was your number one reason... Next was lessen firefights or make shots count???(by product of no ammo).... Hehehe then something to do??? Farming.... Hoarding of equip for your vehicles.... Hopefully, farming too. Base building... :) (:

I never prioritized this reason over others. I simply spoke on behalf of it first. My general point is that it would add more depth in terms of looting & purpose. I also never said to entirely remove ammo, so I'm not sure why you're referencing "(by product of no ammo)"

Less ammo would just encouarge more server hopping,most that are "KoS type" when killed have nothing but ammo on them with very little food or anything

watching some youtube video's the snipers and bandit that were killed all had so many clips and ammo it was crazy

So if ammo becomes hard to find,it will be even harder to actually find it as it will all be looted via server hopping!

You can not fix things like server hopping,base camping or KoS by trying to limit anything in game IMHO

The idea isn't to eliminate serverhopping & basecamping by limitation. Server hopping will be eliminated once private hives are established in the finished product. The idea was to heighten tension when an armed player is present. To make players have to make crucial choices when using ammo because it's so valuable.

I never prioritized this reason over others. I simply spoke on behalf of it first. My general point is that it would add more depth in terms of looting & purpose. I also never said to entirely remove ammo, so I'm not sure why you're referencing "(by product of no ammo)"

Sorry, im typing this on my phone... "No ammo" was just a quicker way to say "scarcity of ammo"

Well my bad, since it was top of the list, i assumed it was the number one reason. Ok... Depth of looting... Got ya. It will be pretty deep.... Looting someones dead body for ammo. Make it scarce, and it gains value... If it has value, more people will want it... In my opinion... They should give a perk for surviving... Like growing a beard... Growing long hair... Sewing better... Eating quicker...

Ammo scarcity is fine at the moment. Only thing that bugs me is the amounts that ammo spawn in.

I would like to see ammo cans of ammo spawn around the map too with mil surp ammo in their appropriate quantities.

22lr also spawns in too low of quantities. Minimum I have ever seen 22 lr being Sold in the store was in a 250 round box most were 500

Ammo scarcity is fine at the moment. Only thing that bugs me is the amounts that ammo spawn in.

I would like to see ammo cans of ammo spawn around the map too with mil surp ammo in their appropriate quantities.

22lr also spawns in too low of quantities. Minimum I have ever seen 22 lr being Sold in the store was in a 250 round box most were 500

Where I live, most 22lr. cartridges come in boxes of 50(like in the game now.) I've never seen 250 or 500 round boxes.

Where I live, most 22lr. cartridges come in boxes of 50(like in the game now.) I've never seen 250 or 500 round boxes.

what do they cost ?

500 rounders cost like 14 bucks around here.

what do they cost ?

500 rounders cost like 14 bucks around here.

Depends on the quality. The higher quality ones that i just looked at were 8.99.

Depends on the quality. The higher quality ones that i just looked at were 8.99.

Woa expensive as heck for .22lr at that point you might as well fork a few more dollars and get a box of 9mm.

I'll start by saying that your name is very appropriate for the way you present yourself. If you read a little closer you would see that I referenced the end-game design multiple times.

Yes I did .. & no thread in the search results specified the same examples as I did. To say that nobody uses the search function is very ignorant.

Yet you didnt notice that the first quote isnt you, BOOM! Headshot!

There seems to be a lot of ammo because there is...well was. There wasn't much to shoot at until they upped zombies. I am sure they will add even more once the pathing gets fixed and all. So I will wait until then to cast judgment. But when you need to use ammo to put down hordes of zombies...it definitely shouldn't be scarce. Even playing last night, I had a bunch of SKS ammo but had to put it all to putting down zombies that were chasing my group.

Edited by MagneticToast

There seems to be a lot of ammo because there isn't...there wasn't much to shoot at until they upped zombies. I am sure they will add even more once the pathing gets fixed and all. So I will wait until then to cast judgment. But when you need to use ammo to put down hordes of zombies...it definitely shouldn't be scarce. Even playing last night, I had a bunch of SKS ammo but had to put it all to putting down zombies that were chasing my group.

I've got endless fireaxe ammo...  You are doing it wrong!  :)

• Like 1

If ammo will become extremely scarce (which I hope it will), people will KOS, axe slash, punch etc other players in the hope they have ammo. It will not affect that playstyle in any way, it will just make firefights less frequent. 

If ammo will become extremely scarce (which I hope it will), people will KOS, axe slash, punch etc other players in the hope they have ammo. It will not affect that playstyle in any way, it will just make firefights less frequent. 

Yes, but hand to hand combat leaves a player with a chance to defend himself 

How about no ammo spawns in-game but each round is a $1 micro-transaction. You can shoot it or save it but if you die it persists. How's that for a fuck you from Rocket?

Other way around. Less guns. More realistic too tons of ammo for each gun in the world. Slightly less ammo than now obviously as it's literally everywhere but you get the point.

It's gonna be like the mod where people are gonna have stockpiles of guns. Crappy things like double barrels and stuff should be still findable easily but it shouldn't be everyone running around with M4s no matter how much or little ammo they have only takes a couple shots to kill someone.

• Like 1

POLICE, RIOT AND MILITARY ZOMBIES NEED TO CARRY THE MAJORITY OF INGAME AMMUNITION AS LOOT. Civilian zombies can occasionally carry handgun, Mosin or shotgun ammunition.

ZOMBIES NEED TO BE A BIGGER THREAT. If you murder someone IRL, the cops usually come running, a pretty good deterrent everywhere except Detroit; zombies can be our police, by hearing a gunshot from ~1 kilometre away and running in its general direction, gaining you an unwelcome zombie horde from all sides.

Also, ammo becoming more scarce is definitely a way to reduce KoS if zombies are a bigger threat. If you have less ammunition as a bandit, you're still likely to try and KoS but you're also more likely to miss the kill because you lack ammo. Therefore, you're more likely to try more surefire methods.

• Like 1

And yet guns are so much of an easier and lower risk KoS method that it will indeed affect that playstyle, because you now have to get within range of a player to kill them, where they can see you; from which point they can try and outrun you or just hit you with their axe too.

Saying less ammo won't affect the KoS playstyle in any way is very stupid; nearly all of my related deaths have been from unseen bullets and that's way different to a bandit clearly coming at you with an axe.

• Like 1

If you have less ammunition as a bandit, you're still likely to try and KoS but you're also more likely to miss the kill because you lack ammo. Therefore, you're more likely to try more surefire methods.

Thank you for this. This was the initial point I was trying to make ... beans

nearly all of my related deaths have been from unseen bullets and that's way different to a bandit clearly coming at you with an axe.

To contribute to this; I feel that a lot of KOS scenarios are medium to long range. Now if the shooter in said KOS scenario had only 2 rounds that were fairly difficult to obtain, I think he would explore his options before taking a shot like it's second nature.