Sign in to follow this  
slimjim00

Is there a way to practice shooting?

So this is somewhat of a noob question, so be it.

I'm fairly new to this game, and didn't play the mod very much. Do you folks have any suggestions for becoming more proficient with the firearms? Are the mechanics similar to Arma 2? I'd like to be able to throw myself into a sandbox or something similar where I can practice with the "realism" type of firearms/dynamics found in DayZ SA.

I'm somewhat familiar with games like Red Orchestra, and am pretty familiar with handling/practicing with firearms in real life. Am I wrong to assume that everything I know will transfer over to DayZ SA pretty well? Ie I'm familiar with zeroing, where the round is going to go if my target is at 200 meters and I'm zero'd for 100, etc. There's no windage in this game is there?

Anything else I need to brush up on?

TLDR; Please help me become more familiar with the firearms in DayZ so I can become a better asset to the group I play with.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Ehh, there is no sandbox. Your best bet is probably going to be Arma 3 or 2. When I first got the mod, I played Arma 2 wasteland alongside DayZ all the time - helped me out quite a bit.

Edit:

You could try getting geared with your weapon of choice on an empty server, and practicing to shoot zombies from various distances, checking how the weapons handle accuracy and whatnot. Failing THAT, there are Standalone weapon accuracy videos that make some  comments on how they perform.

Edited by Forrelist
  • Like 1

Excellent, much obliged. Enjoying the game so far, should've signed up on the forums a while ago.

Thanks again.

Forrelist said it best, go around some empty servers, get the gear you want to test and have at some zombies. 

Not exactly the quickest method, but certainly better than finding out how accurate and M4 is in the middle of a firefight.

• Like 1

Shoot at newspawns at Solnichey until you hit them.

No. Bad Jasonperson. Don't shoot the innocent Newspawns.

Give em an empty semiauto pistol then give them both barrels if you know what i mean.

• Like 1

No. Bad Jasonperson. Don't shoot the innocent Newspawns.

Not all of them are innocent.

Edited by Jasonperson
  • Like 2

I go to the North,up there when Pop is low on the server I open up like an Outlaw on a town using all of whatever guns I'm packn'

If rifles with scopes,I shoot as many Zeds from as far away as I can or run in there with my SKS and just start blastn'

eventually switching to handguns/and or sawed off shotgun while in buildings etc

That the way I practice shooting,using Zeds for targets :)

Rifles and handguns are pretty damn acurate in DayZ ;)

and no,there is no windage

Rifles and handguns are pretty damn acurate in DayZ ;)

and no,there is no windage

BWHAHAHAHAHAAHA!! oh wait you were serious. Have you even used the M4?

• Like 1

BWHAHAHAHAHAAHA!! oh wait you were serious. Have you even used the M4?

M4 is shit until you get pristine magpul parts. Bipod/ acog can also help.

Stand near the pumps at gas/petrol stations and shoot them repeatedly. Trying emptying 60 rounds from an M4.

• Like 1

Practice shooting at zombies from different range and locations. After a while, you'll get used to the way the weapon in the game acts.

Try not to shoot at new spawn, unless you're a KoSer. I try to avoid it, unless they are trying to kill me for helping them out. Lol

Edited by xEzio

There is no sense in practicing on Zeds. If you want to be good get your weapon of choice go to elektro and kill everyone you meet.

Its totally different to shoot a zed or a player , because if you shoot a player you often dont get immediatly a feedback if they are dead.

So if you wanna practice, shoot players and not Zombies.

Just giving a brief update, after a little bit of practice I feel as if I'm a pretty decent shot now. Got into and survived/won a few gun fights where it was myself and a friend or two going against squads of four or five. Granted these folks I were facing weren't the most tactically genius guys I've went against, but surviving is surviving I guess.

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom from those giving honest advice.

Shoot at newspawns at Solnichey until you hit them.

Stand near the pumps at gas/petrol stations and shoot them repeatedly. Trying emptying 60 rounds from an M4.

I only shoot the guilty newspawns.

I don't shoot at newspawns unless they're hauling ass to get back to there position to get their loot from a firefight they lost.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" and all that.

After reading this thread, I visited Armaholic.com last night. Found the map pack containing Chernarus and many, many other maps from A2 and Arma2:OA. I also installed an Arma 3 scenario addon called Dynamic War Scenario or DUWS something like that.. it generates random events across any map. Not zombies, but AI bots to attack and kill. 

So I got it all going, on Chernarus and I swear I did it all night until about 4am almost.. Flying around Chernarus in a little birds, getting shot down by AA rockets.. Hunting down HVT's and sniping them with a headshot while my mortar strike hits seconds later killing his entire security detachment. The fluid player movement from Arma 3 is in there.. the map is Chernarus but looks beautiful in the Arma 3 engine.. and I swear if you want to practice shooting its the best damn way to get there. You can also DL a weapon pack which will let you practice using the M4, 1911, and other weapons that work very close to guns like the mosin and sks, etc. 

I highly recommend it if you have Arma 3 :)

map pack: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23863

mission generator: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21816

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't have ARMA 3 right now, and I'm not sure if I'd like to pony up the money for a game I'm not entirely sure I'll be putting a lot of time into. Money is tight with my other hobbies.

Thanks for the advice though!

• Like 1

I would reccomend practicing on zombies on low pop servers or using Arma 2's armory mode, though Arma 2's guns are a lot more accurate / realistic.

firstly, watch some aiming tutorials for A2 and A3 on yt.

recommending dyslexi

"don't imagine the bullet hitting the target, imagine the target hitting the bullet"

aim for where you think the bullet will end up, not where it's supposed to go

a good rule is a bit above where you want aim, every 100m away from the target you are

eg: target is 300m away and i want a headshot? aim three "half heads" above the targets' head.

it varies, but basically... bullet drop.