Since I started playing dayz, it has only been on the epoch mod. Lately It has been getting stale and I'm looking for a new experience, The only thing that makes me constantly second guess my self is the inability to build and lock up some of my prized loot/ vehicles. Tell me what you guys think :D

EDIT: Also I've heard there is 'bases' on servers, can someone explain? And does Dayz vanilla run a bit better than epoch? Thanks for helping out a noob!

Edited by TheAxBandit

To be honest I think most people start with vanilla, get tired of it too quick, and are looking for something different. i saw no challenge in vanilla dayz, so I hopped on the mod band wagon.

I went to Epoch right away since that's what most people play. From what I understand Vanilla has less so if you're getting bored of epoch you'd be going to a place with less to do. I may be wrong however.

Edited by escobert

Started with Dayzmod and switched to Epoch. There's just so much more content and things to do in Epoch that I don't see myself going back. I enjoy using alot of the weapons and vehicles that were nerfed or removed in Dayz. In addition, there are alot of servers out there offering side missions and other custom content that further diversifies what the game has to offer.

IMO, I think Epoch is what Dayz should have been.

Its absolutly distgusting that the DayZ team took down my post answering this question just because I gave a laundry list of reasons that the mod was much better right now (and im 90% sure it always will be).....so my review is out the window.  Crooked fucks.

To be honest I think most people start with vanilla, get tired of it too quick, and are looking for something different. i saw no challenge in vanilla dayz, so I hopped on the mod band wagon.

Obvious since there is more content. I just wish you would have it harder on Epoch servers. Even on the "hardcore" ones it's still too easy to be self sufficient in one session. There is nothing to do but the same that others do when they get bored after you established a base...me and a buddy gathered a years worth of equipment ( tools, parts, food etc ) in two weeks and build a non penetrable base if we had went into details. Got bored in a bout four weeks of playing...so what's next? All mods are the same as vanilla if you play long enough. Vanilla 1.8 gave me the struggling for everyday feel back that no mod ever gave me, i'm practically living hand into mouth and have stuff stashed here and there, one tent and a motorbike hidden in the woods if i need to get somewhere fast...

Edited by Enforcer

Its absolutly distgusting that the DayZ team took down my post answering this question just because I gave a laundry list of reasons that the mod was much better right now (and im 90% sure it always will be).....so my review is out the window.  Crooked fucks.

No one took down your post at all.

Obvious since there is more content. I just wish you would have it harder on Epoch servers. Even on the "hardcore" ones it's still too easy to be self sufficient in one session. There is nothing to do but the same that others do when they get bored after you established a base...me and a buddy gathered a years worth of equipment ( tools, parts, food etc ) in two weeks and build a non penetrable base if we had went into details. Got bored in a bout four weeks of playing...so what's next? All mods are the same as vanilla if you play long enough. Vanilla 1.8 gave me the struggling for everyday feel back that no mod ever gave me, i'm practically living hand into mouth and have stuff stashed here and there, one tent and a motorbike hidden in the woods if i need to get somewhere fast...

I agree, if it were up to me. I would let them spawn with nothing scale the loot back, and have roaming Ai everywhere to give it that Marshall law feeling. However people are spoiled, they want there little tricks, deployable bikes, starting loadout, Etc. However if you have a server like that, you simply just cant compete. Now I do think some servers go way over the top and make it too easy to obtain wealth, however there is a fine balance.

It's all horses for courses and each to their own, but from what I've found, Epoch seems to be DayZ with most of the ... DayZ removed.

Loot and vehicles are too easy to hoard, let alone just find.  Farming currency by grinding trash loot with a bot?  Seems a bit WoW.

With scarce resources not being scarce and not having to compete for anything, combat is just for the sake of it?  Seems a bit Wasteland, but everyone joined the green team.

There's some seriously ugly Lego-town looking construction thing going on.  Seems a bit Minecraft.  And ugly.

If all you Epoch-ers enjoy that kind of thing then kudos to you.  However, I would describe Epoch as Wasteland meets WoW meets Minecraft.

Dayz epoch is pretty much just wasteland with a better currency system and is more permanent. I personally like vanilla dayz better, but I've recently dedicated more time to epoch.

Since I started playing dayz, it has only been on the epoch mod. Lately It has been getting stale and I'm looking for a new experience, The only thing that makes me constantly second guess my self is the inability to build and lock up some of my prized loot/ vehicles. Tell me what you guys think :D

EDIT: Also I've heard there is 'bases' on servers, can someone explain? And does Dayz vanilla run a bit better than epoch? Thanks for helping out a noob!

Epoch! Vanilla is just a plain bore. In Epoch you can accumulate wealth, build a dream base, and make yourself a part of a community.

I just started playing Epoch with my friends today after nearly 2 years of Vanilla DayZ and have no interest in  base building  but we like the Ai and various missions that Epoch offers.

I don't understand the need to build a base when there is so much gear and vehicles available?  I  loved hiding my vehicle and tents and will always prefer that over having a safe base.

But apart from that and getting used to the old style inventory again, me and my friends are having fun with missions and Ai and finding gear we have not seen in a long time.

On a side note a lot of players do appear rather soft and are easily taken down compared to Vanilla but It is only my first day. I think Vanilla players had more to lose!

Edited by mad mark

I think I have "quit" epoch over 4 times now. Epoch is awesome, but I always get to the point where I obtain a safe, a shit load of briefcases and 50 cals and just destroy my whole arsenal, quit, and go back to vanilla. I feel like epoch is extremely repetitive and desensitizing probably due to the currency system. I always feel the urge to get as much gold as possible. It's too easy because of the loot and vehicles.

People say there's no challenge in vanilla, but imo that's where THE challenge is. It's way harder in vanilla to gear up and survive long amounts of time, try and get a vehicle, and an arsenal of weapons. Not to mention now zombies are more of a challenge and deadly in 1.8.1 (although a bit broken) and also I spend less time, but more enjoyable time on vanilla. Currently awaiting 1.8.2 patch and it will be great. Vanilla gets boring too eventually, but always becomes fun again at some point.

One thing I do love about epoch though are the m107's.. and that SCAR-H..  :)

Edited by Borges