Sign in to follow this  
BeefBacon

Holdout weapons

I didn't see a thread on this, so here goes.

A simple idea. A concealed carry holster that goes under your clothes. Very rare. In the holster you can store either a small melee weapon like a knife or a pistol.

If a bandit handcuffs you and searches through your stuff, they won't be able to see the concealed carry holster. If they steal your backpack or your gun, they'll assume you're unarmed. If you're released or you break free you can use your holdout weapon against them in an attempt to recover your gear... assuming they don't just straight-up shoot you.

The concealed carry holster can only be revealed by removing the shirt but, due to its rarity, it'll likely be assumed by the bandit that their victim doesn't have one on, and thus won't check.

Could also, perhaps, allow the storage of items such as morphine auto-injectors and can openers; items that might be useful after losing the contents of your backpack.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

99.9% of the times you meet a bandit, he/she will kill you. So whats the point if you die :p?

Could work the other way round. A hero meets a player who would have KoSed if he had the chance. The hero disarms him, assumes he's safe and gets shot in the head when he turns around.

Could work the other way round. A hero meets a player who would have KoSed if he had the chance. The hero disarms him, assumes he's safe and gets shot in the head when he turns around.

So its basically a bandit thing :)

So its basically a bandit thing :)

If it was added then it sounds to be balanced already. Other than the fact that if such thing will be added, everyone will take your shirt off to see if you have it or not. I would vote yes however.

A hero meets a player who would have KoSed if he had the chance. The hero disarms him, assumes he's safe and gets shot in the head when he turns around.

So adding the holster will reward KoS and punish the true bandits/heroes?

mm3imtc5qr4i.gif

Sorry man, but this idea again:

Realistic and good.

But too much realism => destroy the fun in-game

Edited by irishroy

So adding the holster will reward KoS and punish the true bandits/heroes?

Well, again, not necessarily. It could be helpful for someone who's getting held up and it could be useful for a bandit if a hero turns his back. It has multiple applications, even down to just being an alternative to a regular holster. I don't know about you, but I don't like it when people can see how well I'm armed, and I don't necessarily want to use up inventory space, especially considering that I tend to favour the DIY bags and hunter packs rather than mountain packs.

Everything in this game comes down to its application and its circumstances. Is a player sitting on a hill above a town with a sniper looking to snipe new spawns or is he looking for bandits?

I can, of course, see the validity of your objections.

Edited by BeefBacon

It could be helpful for someone who's getting held up and it could be useful for a bandit if a hero turns his back. 

the problem here is, that far more people kill on sight and overall kill to

A) get the gear of a player

and

B)lower the chance of getting killed.

Rarely people hold other ones up and handcuff, rob them and then let them go. They just kill, loot him and take what they want.

Holding up some-1 bears enough risks right now and isn't as easy as just killing on sight, I think.

So if you make the work and take the time and danger to hold some-1 up, it shouldn't be made even harder and more dangerous.

there are 2 types of bandits:

The ones, who kill for loot (and even if they dont need something: they kill just to be sure)

And the other ones, who are "honorable" bandits, who take the risk to hold some-1 up "properly"

So giving the players (who are held up properly) a weapon (invisible holster+weapon) against the honorable bandits isn't good, IMO.

If a bandit takes the time and risk to rob you, he could have also KILLED you a long time ago. But he didn't. He waited and took the hard way, because it's "more friendly" and more role-playish.

I hope you understand me ;)

Edited by irishroy

In an RP scenario I think a holdout weapon would be awesome, but I think you're right that for the average server maybe it'd just promote KoS. Granted KoS isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for as long as KoS is especially prevalent perhaps holdout weapons would be more of a liability to the community as a whole.

But you must be able to see its applications on, say, a hardcore RP server?

But you must be able to see its applications on, say, a hardcore RP server?

Man, on a RP server this would be totally awesome.

So even if somebody looks un-dangerous, you have to be careful all the time, because maybe he also has a hidden gun.

I see the point, and I really like it.

But right now, KoS is much easier...

A way to reduce KoS would be to make ammo more rare, more important and worth (like a currency).

You would think twice, if you:

A)want to shoot the guy, probably ruin his gear and therefore waste bullets.

or B)take the RP-way and rob him.

Edited by irishroy