ColdHeat

It's too easy to get guns

Right now all you have to do after spawning is orienting yourself and running towards Cherno/Elektro. You will be well equipped by the time you reached the military airport behind Cherno and after looting the airport itself, you're equipped like a elite soldier. If you still miss some goodies you simply switch servers.

This procedure only takes around 30 minutes and exept for the server switching it's already my standart behavior to "get into the game" as quickly as possible even though the most awesome time that I had was when I had no clue about everything and stumbled through the map for hours, cheering at every jacket, schoolbag and crossbar that I'd found. Yet once you know the deal, it is way too easy. After 30 minutes you're already in a stage where neither dehydration, starvation nor zombies will pose any threat to your survival anymore. Congratulations: You just lost the game by beating the game. When bicycles get introduced, you possible can make the trip to the military airport even in around 5-8 minutes.  It's a huge waste of immersion and "survival feeling".

The possibly greatest part of the game is the time after your spawn as an unarmed PC and until the moment you are equipped to the teeth. After that time all that the players seem to do is to hunt for players for fun or to avoid the game in order not to lose everything again. So to prolong this "seeker and survival" episode and to make it a real accomplishment to get good gear, I feel a few pressing steps have to be taken as when you give players the option to beat the game too easily and fast, they will exploit it even though it somewhat ruins their gaming experience.. simply due to impatience and greed.

1) Position the spawn points as far away from the awesome loot places like military bases as possible. The longer and more troublesome the journey gets to these equipment nirvanas, the more awesome will be the experience as players will feel tempted to actually invest time to loot even smaller villages for the sake of survival. Those awesome loot places should really work as high reward/high risk zone for those who actually made it that far.

2) Make the spawn points less calculable. While it appears to be logical that military bases and even ordinary police stations are likely places to find guns in a postapocalyptical scenario, it's actually too predictable which house is not worth to look into and which one will almost guarantee you a weapon at which specific spot. Chernarus portrays a world that is already devastated and almost looted dry to the bone. The supermarkets are virtually empty and in such a scenario the military bases and police stations would be the very first places to be looted. After that stage the most ordinary cabins could be your best bet to find a gun as the decendent of a former civilized world, where every farmer and peasant possibly owned a gun for hunting or home defense reasons. I think gun spawns should become at least possible even in ordinary houses and the fancy guns should most likely spawn on military bases, even though in much a less extend as they do now, where 3-4 guns are almost guaranteed to be found on a military base. City houses could have a slight chance mostly for handguns, police stations a mediocre chance for more fancy handguns and shotguns, village houses a chance mostly for hunting rifles, firefighter stations, hospitals and schools a chance for fire axes and military bases a chance for all the awesome stuff.

3) Make guns way more rare. Even a B95 or a Ruger should be an awesome discovery and not something that will be only a waste of slots after you visited the very next promising station to loot. To give players still a chance and more of a survival feeling, self-made gear and improvised weapons could become much more important to fill the gap of hunting/self-defence until the moment you find the good stuff.

Edited by ColdHeat
  • Like 8

Agreed.

The end product will it seems have much reduced military gun spawns.

Total randomization of spawns would be great because then it would pay to hit up the smaller towns.

The airfields/military bases will always be PvP hotspots and rightly so, but having civilian weapons scattered about will be a lot of fun as well. 

here you go...

"When throwing (Physics) is implemented, guns and pistols will be very rare, because it will exist an option for ranged weapons beyond rifles/pistols"

Response from Rocket during a past Q & A

Edited by Kaw
  • Like 1

Why do people always say this? Does Russia only have 5 civilians that have guns they keep in their house? Probably not. Lots of guns in random places makes sense to me. 

Hell the mod was like it would be in the US, guns everywhere.

• Like 2

Topic cleaned.
This post gave me cancer and *yawn* are overly pointless. Please don't.

• Like 3

Hidden text.

I have no idea what this guys on about, people are getting pretty vicious on these forums, I agree with points 2 and 3  and they will, im sure, be implemented at some stage, right now there are a lot of weapons as the devs want people to get into fights for testing purposes. Regarding point 1 I think they only need to make sure there are no balota spawns, and they have already done this. 

Edited by Inception.

No.

Make guns come in various Conditions when spawned. When in bad condition the gun can jam.

• Like 6

I put that there as a staple, i have edited with info reguarding said topic

Edited by Kaw

I put that there as a staple, i have edited with info reguarding said carebear topic. =)

Oh, thanks. I've un-hidden your comment.

Join a full server.

All the obvious guns are long gone, gone with the bodies of guys who died an hour ago.

• Like 1

They currently make new items (not only guns) introduced in patches spawn more frequently than older items in order to test them. Thus we are very far from having any sort of hint of what the final spawn rate of guns in general will be. From all the statements by rocket they will most likely be more rare, ammo certainly will be, so complaining about their current spawn ratio is not really constructive,

• Like 2

Oh, thanks. I've un-hidden your comment.

ty.

Sir pls. I dont need to run like an idiot. I will hunt you until i knock you out and take ur gear like a boss. 

For crying out load, as Amias said. Join a full server, let's see if you'll get very lucky finding weapons at Balota or any other airfield for that matter.

"I can play the game however I want, if this is possible it's a feature."

People who play it like it's meant to be played aren't having these issues, atleast not me and several other people I know who play. So find a decently populated server, STICK TO IT after you loot a place and you'll get the 'survival feeling' that you think is missing.

• Like 1

For crying out load, as Amias said. Join a full server, let's see if you'll get very lucky finding weapons at Balota or any other airfield for that matter.

"I can play the game however I want, if this is possible it's a feature."

People who play it like it's meant to be played aren't having these issues, atleast not me and several other people I know who play. So find a decently populated server, STICK TO IT after you loot a place and you'll get the 'survival feeling' that you think is missing.

The thing is that there's just too many servers which separates players to 6 player ones and I know what the 35 of 40 players are doing on the same server: Not playing friends thats for sure.

The huge risk of losing everything is sometimes messing with my head and that's why I do join low pop servers from time to time. Even if the real experience doesn't come from that I still 

cannot argue with my urge for the sweet loot that nobody's caring to take before me. I wish there wasn't this option. I am the one that feels like it should be forced down my throat like the old nes

games. 

It should be 6 different servers with 500 player gap.

If the game gets optimized well of course..

Edited by DannyRed
  • Like 1

Right now all you have to do after spawning is orienting yourself and running towards Cherno/Elektro. You will be well equipped by the time you reached the military airport behind Cherno and after looting the airport itself, you're equipped like a elite soldier. If you still miss some goodies you simply switch servers.

This procedure only takes around 30 minutes and exept for the server switching it's already my standart behavior to "get into the game" as quickly as possible even though the most awesome time that I had was when I had no clue about everything and stumbled through the map for hours, cheering at every jacket, schoolbag and crossbar that I'd found. Yet once you know the deal, it is way too easy. After 30 minutes you're already in a stage where neither dehydration, starvation nor zombies will pose any threat to your survival anymore. When bicycles get introduced, you possible can make the trip to the military airport even in around 5-8 minutes. It's a huge waste of immersion and "survival feeling".

The possibly greatest part of the game is the time after your spawn as an unarmed PC and the moment you are equipped to the teeth. After that time all that the players seem to do is to hunt for players for fun or to avoid the game in order not to lose everything again. So to prolong this "seeker and survival" episode and to make it a real accomplishment to get good gear, I feel a few pressing steps have to be taken as when you give players the option to "beat the game" too easily and fast, they will exploit it even though it somewhat ruins their gaming experience.. simply due to impatience and greed.

1) Position the spawn points as far away from the awesome loot places like military bases as possible. The longer and more troublesome the journey gets to these equipment nirvanas, the more awesome will be the experience as players will have feel tempted to actually invest time to loot even smaller villages for the sake of survival. Those should really work as high reward/high risk zone for those who actually made it that far.

2) Make the spawn points less calculable. While it appears to be logical that military bases and even ordinary police stations are likely places to find guns in a postapocalyptical scenario, it's actually too predictable which house is not worth to look into and which one will almost guarantee you a weapon at which specific spot. Chernarus portrays a world that is already devastated and almost looted dry to the bone. The supermarkets are almost empty and in such a scenario, the military bases and police stations would be the very first places to be looted. After that stage the most ordinary cabins could be your best bet to find a gun as the decendent of a former civilized world, where every farmer and peasant possibly owned a gun for hunting or home defense reasons. I think gun spawns should become at least possible even in ordinary houses and the fancy guns should most likely spawn on military bases, even though in much a less extend as they do now, where 3-4 guns are almost guaranteed to be found on a military base. City houses could have a slight chance mostly for handguns, police stations a mediocre chance for more fancy handguns and shotguns, village houses a chance mostly for hunting rifles, firefighter stations, hospitals and schools a chance for fire axes and military bases a chance for all the awesome stuff.

3) Make guns way more rare. Even a B95 or a Ruger should be an awesome discovery and not something, that's only a waste of slots possibly after you visited the very next promising station. To give players still a chance and more of a survival feeling, self-made gear and improvised weapons could become much more important to fill the gap of hunting/self-defence until the moment you find the good stuff.

Sorry, but this is all a mute point.

Devs have already spoken on this, after craftable weapons are implemented conventional guns will far rarer.

And when loot is respawning dynamically across the map and not in the same 3 fire stations on the coast over and over, finding firearms will be more difficult and it won't reward server hoppers as the current system does.

Give it time, lads.

I hope they leave the gun spawn rate what it is currently.

However I want them to drop the ammo spawn rate through the floor.

Why?

Guns are a durable good. Ammo is not.

(think Mad Max 2 and how Mel Gibson treasured his 7 shotgun shells, or how the villain only loaded on bullet at a time.)

The challenge should be finding ammo for any gun.

• Like 2

I think guns should be everywhere, all sorts of guns in really strange places... It's the ammo that should be harder to find. If you really want to go down what would happen in the world if such a virus hits guns and weapons would be almost littering the streets.

They would spread out from the military, police and civies as they die in world. I doubt a zombie would pick up his rifle after he has been killed/infected before wandering off to find fresh meat. Military bases/airfield would have uber zombies with full body armor and spawn in large groups as that is where the last stands would have occured whilst they try to protect the civies that would congregate there as they would have been strategic assets in the first weeks/days of the virus. Maybe that will discourage single players to go hunting there without a large group.

It all boils down to what is the biggest problem of DayZ sa (apart from the engine/backbone) And that is spawns, sort the item spawns out - and the food and I think it would knock a lot of the KOS'ers, basecamping, server swapping people out. If the earths population was down to 5% of what it is today I guess people could quite easily live of the land.

Anyway, thats my pissed up rant kind of thing over!

No.

Make guns come in various Conditions when spawned. When in bad condition the gun can jam.

• Like 2

Ahh, thank you Zjasuu, I've been thinking about Far Cry 2 style jamming.

Personally, I found it to be simple yet effective. 

Ahh, thank you Zjasuu, I've been thinking about Far Cry 2 style jamming.

Personally, I found it to be simple yet effective. 

Jamming would be great but it shouldn't be added until the game is properly fixed, the frustration one would get when they have to un-jam a weapon 30 times because of lagging would be terrible.

Jamming would be great but it shouldn't be added until the game is properly fixed, the frustration one would get when they have to un-jam a weapon 30 times because of lagging would be terrible.

Again, I agree.

Kind of a down the road thing.

Kinda off topic but I had an MP 40 jam on me while shooting in Vegas.

Back on topic : we need ammo crafting stations . collect your brass after firing. Craft your own gunpowder. Fun times.

Decided to do some math and research.

There should be hundreds of guns in Chenurus. Why?

The Czech Republic has 16.3 guns per 100 people, and Russia has 8.9. Therefore there should be 890-1630 guns on the map per 10,000 pre-Apoc population of Chenurus. These are the private ownership values. The numbers will only be higher when including police /military firearms.

What are the current values? Maybe 20 guns across the entire map...

So if anything, there are actually WAY too few guns in game.

• Like 1

Curious, I haven't seen anything that said "all guns will become rare" only that "military gun spawns will reduce" with craftable weapons.

I really don't like the general push for less guns in an FPS. I realize people have glamorized the idea of throwing weapons, but the idea of people actually using them effectively is terribly unrealistic. Almost, for myself, game-breakingly, immersion-destroyingly unrealistic.